- Text Size +
"So, what's the matter?" Serena asked Howie.

The two had been walking for about 5 minutes, and he had been quiet until she interrupted the silence.

"What makes you think that something is wrong?" Howie responded knowing that he had been caught.

"Because you haven't said one word to me since we left the hotel. Did I do something wrong? Do I have halitosis or something?" she joked.

"Of course not! Nothing's wrong."

Serena smiled to herself.

"And just what are you smiling about Ms. Roberts?" Howie asked.

"Nothing, I just know what's bothering you." She said smiling.

"Oh really? And what might that be?" Howie said smiling back.

"You already know, and now I also know. You're jealous." she stated simply.

Howie turned away from her, and cursed under his breath. Serena heard this and began to laugh. Howie turned to her again, smiling sheepishly at being caught.

"How'd you know?"

"A mother knows all. So what are you jealous of?"

"I don't know exactly. You know how I told you that before I met you and Gwen I was an ascetic person, always working on my letters, but never anything else really, not caring?"

Serena shook her head yes.

"And you said that you were the same way for a long time, until you had Gwen, then you had to get back out there. And you did it for her; you said that she was your savior from loneliness."

"Yes she was, and still is. I'm still a little wary when it comes to who I associate with though." Serena said.

"I know, and I'm grateful that you have decided to trust me, even though I'm practically a stranger."

"You didn't seem like a dangerous person, well not really. Besides I’m a good judge of character."

Howie smiled at her. The two walked over to a bench and sat down. Serena pulled the stroller to her and picked up Gwendolyn, who was still sleeping.

"I've never known a child to sleep so long. I guess she had a long day, didn't you sweetie." Serena cooed in a sweet manner.

Howie looked at her and smiled.

“But anyways, I was always saying I was fine. It was becoming a bad slogan for my life, saying that everything was peachy, when it was far from it in my mind. Then I met Charlie, and she was everything that I thought I needed." Howie sighed. "But it was only temporary. I should have known it would be that way, it was too good to quickly. And then I see you, and you intrigue me. A puzzle waiting to be solved."

"Howie, you're beginning to make no sense what so ever." Serena stated looking at him.

"What I’m trying to say is that you came into my life and within a weeks time, and you have seem to extinguish all the loneliness that I was feeling."

Serena was speechless. She'd never received such a compliment in her life.

"Wow, I don't know what to say."

"You don't have to say anything. I just wanted you to know how I felt. The reason that I got so jealous was because Aj was flirting with you, and you seemed to be enjoying it. And I wanted to be the only one to make you laugh, and blush when I compliment you. I know it sounds ridiculous, but that's how I felt."

Howie thought he saw a smile upon Serena's lips. He was so busy watching her that he did not see the approaching man with his hands in his trench coat.

"Give me all your money, checks, and jewelry and no one will get hurt. NOW!!"

Howie and Serena sat there in fear to the man yells.

"I said NOW!!!!!!" the man said pulling out a gun, and pointing it at Serena.

"Ok, just calm down man." Howie said reaching for his wallet.

Serena began to put Gwendolyn down.

"What are you doing!?!" the man yelled.

"Please just let me put her down then I’ll give you anything you want."

The man smiled cheekily.

"All right, go ahead and put her down." The man said.

Serena put Gwendolyn down, and before she could look at the man once again, she heard a gun shot.