- Text Size +
Guys thanks sooooo much for the awesome reviews! Y'all are so great at motivation! Thanks!

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

It took me a month or so to finally wash the dream out of my system. During the month following the meeting, I wrote songs. One of them I titled “Premonition” and I was extremely proud of it. If the guys didn’t want it on their album, it was definitely going to be on my solo.

Also, during that month, I met a girl. I literally ran into her. I was pulling out of my driveway before checking both ways and I ran smack into the side of her new Saturn, caving in the back, passenger side door. I knew she was perfect for me the moment she stepped out of her car, recognized me, and proceeded to cussing me out, using every profane name in the book.

I stood there, smiling like an idiot, gazing over all of her features. Her long, straight, brown hair. Her sky blue eyes and the dimple she got every time she spoke. God, she must have thought I was mental or something, because she just kept ranting and raving, more so when she realized I wasn’t listening.

I actually leaned on the hood of my truck and wrote her out a check for $3000, knowing that the damage didn’t exceed $1500. Along with the check, I handed her my phone number and asked her if we could continue our conversation over dinner.

I was completely surprised when she called me the next day and we actually had a two-sided conversation. She told me she put her car in the shop. I told her mine was going in next week. She sincerely thanked me several times during that conversation for giving her such a considerable amount for damage control.

We met up that night for dinner and a movie. It was probably the best date I had ever been on. She was in no way taking advantage of me and flat out told me she was paying for dinner, saying it was the least she could do. Of course, though, I had the waiter slide the bill to me while she was in the restroom and I took care of it without her knowing.

As soon as she found out, she went to fighting with me about it being her responsibility. How she didn’t want to be dependant on a man to pay for dinner. I couldn’t even remember what else she had said in that speech, I wasn’t listening, just watching her, trying so hard not to laugh. She was so pissed, it was really cute.

My phone began ringing and I looked away from what I was writing in my journal. I know, I know, it’s girly for a man to keep a journal, but when AJ was going through rehab, we all took a class on dealing with an alcoholic, and they told us the best way to sort out your feelings was to write them out.

I got up from my place on the couch, wondering who in their right mind would be coming over in this storm. The rain pelted the northern windows and the thunder followed the lightening only a few short seconds behind.

“Erica, what are you doing here?” I asked, completely in shock to see her standing on my doorstep. She was soaking wet from head to toe.

“I had no where else to go,” she replied in a meek voice. I could tell she had been crying.

“Come in. Let me get you a towel.” I quickly walked upstairs to the bathroom and grabbed her a couple towels. When I returned, she was still standing in the doorway, a lost expression trapped in her blue eyes. I didn’t know what to do. I was the last one anyone came to with problems.

“Thanks,” she whispered, her head down as she took a towel from me and began drying herself off.

I ushered her into the living room and made her sit down on the couch. I wasn’t at all concerned about the effect her wet clothes would have on my couch, I only cared for one thing at that moment, and that was her and why she was here in the condition she was in. I knelt down in front of her to try and look her in the eye. She hadn’t lifted her head since she arrived and I was sincerely worried.

“What’s wrong, sweetie?” I asked, using my hand to push back her hair from her face.

“I- I don’t want to talk about it,” she said, her voice thick with tears. I did the only thing I knew how to do. I sat down on the couch next to her, wrapped my arms around her shaking body, and held her tight as she cried on my shoulder.

After a while, her tears subsided and her breathing evened out. She pulled away from me and looked me directly in the eyes. Even with her make up smeared and her hair messy and damp, she was still beautiful to me.

“Are you okay?” I whispered, afraid of sending her to tears again.

“I don’t know yet.” Her voice was hoarse and almost whispered. “Can we just not talk about it, please?” Her eyes pleaded with me, as did her voice and I could tell, right then and there, that I was completely taken with her. I would do anything in my power to make her happy.

“What’s your favorite movie?” I asked, immediately changing the subject for her benefit. I knew with my movie library, that I most likely had the movie she loved the most.

She smiled slightly at me, knowing that I was trying. “Pirates of the Caribbean.”

“Good, I have that one. Have you eaten anything lately?” She shook her head, no. “What would you like? I’ve got hamburger helper, some frozen chicken thingys, some frozen dinners, cereal, eggs, pancake mix…” I stood up, ready to get anything she requested. “We could always order pizza or Chinese or something.”

“Pizza’s good,” she replied with a small smile. The sky blue was returning to her eyes, replacing the dark, troubled hue she had possessed upon arrival.

I walked out of the room and ordered pizza from my favorite pizza place, then returned to her side. “Pizza will be here in about 30 minutes, is that ok?” I asked, making sure she wasn’t extremely hungry. I had spoken to the delivery boy that would deliver my pizza and told him if he brought it before the 30 minutes were up, I’d throw in a $20 tip. When she nodded, I went to my television and fumbled with my DVD player until I finally got it working, then put in the movie of her choice.

We spooned on the couch, my arms wrapped securely around her. The doorbell rang a few minutes after we got settled and Erica was already asleep. I cautiously climbed over the back of the couch and ran to the door, paid for the pizza and the big tip, then went back into the living room.

“Erica,” I whispered, moving some of her now dry, blonde hair out of her face. “Erica, sweetie, the pizza’s here.”

She opened her eyes and looked at me, slightly confused at her surroundings. “Oh, pizza. Thanks.” She sat up and gave me another half smile.

We ate in silence, mostly I was afraid of bringing her to tears again.

After that day, we were inseparable. I asked her to move in after finding out that her aunt, whom she was living with, had passed away, leaving her with nothing, besides her unbearable younger cousins. I went with her to the funeral and immediately following, we moved all of her things to my house. I was so excited to have her there with me. It was going to give me a lot more opportunities to get to know her better. I didn’t even think that she could be the cause of my downfall.