- Text Size +
Chapter 1

He looked over at her small body and felt the same sadness he had felt since he first saw her. He quickly grabbed a blanket from the back-seat and wrapped her in it.

"AJ?" Her voice whispered, so afraid, so alone.

"Shh, it's going to be all right now, I'm here." He lightly kiss her forehead. His hand drifted to her swollen stomach and sighed. AJ rub his eyes and made his way to the drivers seat. His heart hanging low. He drove her to the hospital, Tyler really had did a number on her this time. Every now and then he would make a quick glance at her to see the pain across her face. Cars honked at him and mutter swears where used as he raced on.

**Flashback**

"Tyler please!" Kathryn cried.

"Tyler please." He mocked her. "What makes you think you don't deserve this!?"

"I love you." She whispered but he just laughed harshly and yanked up her hair.

"That's to bad because you know what!" He yelled into her ear. " I...don't...love...you." His words stung her in places she never knew she had. "You where just a little toy, and I'm tired of playing with you...you mean nothing to me." He threw her to the floor.

"You don't mean that..y-you don't." She backed up into a corner and cried.

"I have never been more serious in my life! You should have known! How the hell do you expect us to have a relationship in the first place when your with that Backstreet boy all the time!" He came running towards her, his fist making contact with her already busied face. He kicked her repeatedly. "And that!" He motioned to her stomach. "Is not mine."

**End Of Flashback**

AJ sat in the waiting room, silently crying as the doctors did all they could for her. She had drifted in and out several times in the car. He wanted to call the guys but was afraid that it he let for a minute he would miss something. He waited a few minutes before rising from his seat, it didn't even feel like he was the one moving till he looked up into a pair of deep green eyes.

"Kev..." He started to say but was interrupted with tears, tears that where his own. "I should have been there for her." He cried. "I should have made her leave him..I should...I should have..." The rest of the guys stood there giving their friend comfort in his time of need.

"She's going to be all right J, you have to look on the bright side...you here now." Brian soft voice calmed AJ's tears but he couldn't help but feel his own burning his eyes. "We know you love Kat, we all do...she needs us...she needs you, she needs our strength." As Brian finished he turned his head to the approaching doctor.

"How did you know?"

"Well," Howie started. "I came over to see if you wanted to do something and when I got there your front door was open."

"He got worried and called me." Nick piped in. "I told him you where probably with Kat."

"I stopped by there and saw...." A stray tear fell down Howie's cheek. "The house was a mess."

"We called everywhere for you guys..."

"Nick used his charm to find out you where here on the secretary." Kevin joked and AJ smiled.

"I-I know you'd be good for something one day Carter." He offered a weak smile.

"Are you here for a..." The doctor looked down at his form. "Miss. Kathryn Donaly?" AJ wiped his eyes and spoke up.

"Yes..is she ok? Can I see her?" He asked in a small voice, hoping she was all right.

"Well, she did suffer a huge amount of blood, we gave her a blood transfusions, she's damaged two of her ribs but they should heal...now...are you aware of Miss. Donaly's pregnancy?" The guys all turned to AJ as he looked back at the other guys.

"Pregnant?"

"Yes," The doctor shook his head. "Eight months...you didn't notice?"

"Tonight was the first time I had seen her in a while." AJ sighed. Pregnant? He thought to himself.

"Did you or are you the father?" AJ shook his head no.

"Why? Is something wrong with the baby?" Kevin asked. "Are they ok?" By then another doctor came up.

"Hello, I'm Dr. Janise." The middle age lady offered a small smile and shook hands with the others. "I take it your Mr. McLean?" She motioned towards AJ and he nodded.

"Good. Mrs. Donaly has been asking for you...please follow me please." She began to walk off. AJ looked at the rest of the guys and the other doctor fill them in on what was happening. He sighed and followed the lady down the hall and to the right. As he passed the doors he saw many people in beds, some laughing and talking some sleeping. He came back to reality when the doctor stopped. "This is it." She said softly. Before she left his side she gave him hand a little squeeze. AJ thanked her and watched her walk off, he then returned his attention back to her door...placed his hand on the knob and turned slowly....

"Kat?" AJ whispered and shut the door. The only light on in the whole room was the bathroom light, with the door slightly cracked.

"AJ?" Her voice carried to him so soft that he almost couldn't hear it. He took a breathe that he had be holding since he saw her back at the house. "Come here, please." She pleaded. AJ took a spare chair and placed it beside Kathryn's bed. Even though it was fairly dark in the room she could tell he was crying.

"Kat...I thought..."

"Shhh..." She comforted him and he laid his head on her as he cried, making sure not to cause her anymore pain.

"Why didn't you tell me...about the baby?" He asked into her gown.

"I'm sorry." She felt the tears start again. "I was scared...I didn't want to complicate your life anymore Alex, you've been through so much the past year with rehab and Sarah..." She drifted off. "I didn't want to be added to you list of regrets." AJ looked up at her.

"The only place your in is here." He pointed to his chest. "My heart...my soul...god my everything." He kissed her cheek.

"I know, but Alex listen to me." She took a deep breath. "I'm not going to make it." AJ looked up at her confused.

"What? What are you talking about Kat? The doctor said..!" Kat placed a soft finger upon AJ's lips.

"I wanted to be the one to tell you." She sighed, her eyes feeling heavy.

"Kat?"

"You have to be strong for our daughter." Kathryn whispered.

"You mean it's..." Kat smiled confirming it, AJ placed a smile on his face.

"I don't understand Kat? why is god being so unkind...w-we have a family now." Kathryn smiled and kissed AJ's lips. "I need you here."

"He's not being unkind Alex, it's my time to go." Her words echoed in him ears. Kathryn closed her eyes for a short while trying to relax. "Your going to find someone Alex trust me."

"I c-can't...I won't!" Kathryn sighed.

"That's exactly what you can't think." She opened her eyes. "I know right now that this seems like the end of the world to you but you still have another woman to live for...two when she comes and she will....she will."

AJ bolted out of his bed, sweat running down his face. "It was a dream." He whispered into the darkness. "You'd think after three years I'd be somewhat over this." AJ mumbled as he looked around to see that he was in his room...alone. He sighed as he pilled the sheet from around him and made his way into the bathroom. He passed the mirror and took a hard look at himself. "It was a dream." He repeated. AJ slowly shook his head and headed out of the bathroom to a room down the hall. He opened the door and smiled as he stepped fully in, shutting it behind him. He walked over to the bed to see his angel, the only one he did live his life for these days. The being stirred and rubbed it's eyes trying to see who the shadow was.

"Daddy?" Her little voice asked.

"Yeah it's me sweetpea." AJ sighed and sat on the bed next to her.

"What's wrong? Did the monsters wake you up to dada?" He smiled.

"No...how many times do I have to tell you?" He smiled and motioned for her to come closer. "I sent all the monsters to Uncle Nicky's house." The little girl let out a small giggle and shook her head, letting out a small yawn. AJ held the little girl in his arms till she drifted back to sleep. He tucked her in, kissed her forehead and made his way downstairs.