- Text Size +
Chapter 11

"Look Kay about last night..." He started when she returned to him, she placed a finger on his lips.

"No apologies needed, a long dialogue of it?" She shook her head and smiled. "Not needed." AJ nodded and noticed paint stain at the bottom of her jeans. He got up suddenly remembering something and opened the bag he had with him. He smiled when he found it and made his way back to her.

"Maybe a long dialogue is not needed...but.." He smiled. "A make up gift is a very big must...only when I'm in the wrong you see." He handed it to her before she could say anything. "Take it..." He beamed. "A way to show that I'm sorry and you are one of the women I keep very close to my heart." Kayce broke into a big smile and took the gift into her hands.

"How did you know I like to paint?" She asked referring to the professional paint set he had gotten her. "I never told you..how...?" She stood there tracing the engraved wood that had her name imprinted on it.

"Yesterday when you came home from your sister's and you had paint all over your bag." He motioned to her bag which indeed had paint over it. "You said your father was a painter so I took a shot in the dark and guessed you did to."

"That was a very good shot Alex." She smiled.

"Well, I try." He sighed. "So you really like it?" Kayce gently placed the set down and wrapped her arms around AJ.

"Thank you Alex." She kissed his cheek. "You'll never know how much this really means to me." She wiped a tear from her eye.

"Tell me Kayce, tell me everything..." He sat her down and fixed their plates. "I want to know the real you that you keep on lock." He poured her drink, then his.

"Well, after my mom died my father was left to take care of two girls and at first he didn't know quite what to do but his 'guardian angel' as he called her, Chelsea found him they became friends and she helped him get off the that right road to rasing us." She smiled. "She was nice and the only real life memory Jamie and I had of a mother so we clinged to her." Her face fell. "When my dad died Jamie and I where about nineteen...just heading off to collage. She was the only one who ended up going, I couldn't...I didn't have the strength left in me when he left."

"I'm so sorry." He took her hand in his and kissed her palm.

"I wanted to remember him like he was...full of life and laughter...and a love to paint." She smiled slightly and AJ wiped the tears clouding her gray eyes. "As you can see he pasted his love of art to me."

"That's a good thing thought right? I mean now you have something that will constantly keep you in touch with him, through you expression."

"Yeah, Jamie told me the same thing, yesterday was the first in years that I had talked to her. I didn't blame her I told her that I just couldn't go back, I felt trapped...I had to get away."

"I know that feeling far to well." He wrapped her in a hug.

"That's why I'm with Jenna the way I am, I know what it's like and how important it is to have a strong mother figure around...every girl needs that." She sighed. "I don't know what I'd what have done without Chelsea."

"What happened to her?"

"She left, her family needed her."

"Your not going to leave us are you Kayce?" AJ and Kayce turned to the kitchen doorway to find Jenna, Brian appeared a second later.

"No." Kayce wiped her tears and Jenna ran into her arms.

"She played with Bails for a while but she missed her parents." Brian smiled and watched the three. Jenna had her tiny arms around both Kayce and AJ.

"Thanks Bri." AJ moved to get up but Brian placed his hands for him to stop.

"It's ok." He placed his spare key back in his pocket. "I'll see my way out." He smiled and left.

"Is something wrong babe?" Kayce asked and brushed her fingers through Jenna's hair. The little girl played with her necklace. She slowly looked up to meet Kayce's gray eyes with her blue.

"I just missed you." She confessed. "Bails started crying for his mommy and...I wanted mine." She hugged her. "Plus Aunty Leigh is nice and all buts I want's you." A yawn escaped the small child and he eyes fell heavy.

"I'll be back." Kayce moved to get up and AJ watched as she carried Jenna with great care up the stairs and to her room. He lightly heard her singing along the way, he just smiled slowly at the love that had been bonded by the two.

When the world seems cold You feel that all of your strength is gone There may be one tiny voice Your reason to carry on But when I'm not close enough To kiss the tears you cry Sing for me our Angel's Lullaby

"Is this the woman you where talking about Kat?" He muttered to himself. "If so then I have no problem falling in love with her, I already am...I just don't know how to give my heart." He sighed and brushed invisible lint from his pants as Kayce returned.