- Text Size +
“Hey guys I have to go to the bathroom. I'll be back”, I said, getting up and walking to the bathroom.

As I was walking towards the bathroom, I accidently bumped into someone on the way.

“Oh I'm sorry. Excuse me”, I said without looking up at the guy I just bumped into.

“No problem, girl”, he replied.

I stopped dead in my tracks. I knew that voice from anywhere. I slowly turned around and I was face to face with the man I dreaded in the first place.

“Hey Ashley”, he said, looking at me.

“Hey Nick”, I replied, avoiding eye contact with him.

“How' are you?” He asked me, not turning his eyes away from me.

“I'm fine”, I manage to say, looking back at my table to see everyone looking over at me. “You?”

“Well I could say I'm fine, but I would be lying”, he confessed, staring into my eyes.

“Yeah same here”, I said, looking down at the ground. I was so nervous and I didn't know what to say. I should have had a million things to say to him because he was the father of my children, but my mind drew a complete balck and an awkward silence came about.

“Do you wanna go somewhere an talk alone?” He suddenly asked, breaking the silence amongst ourselves.

“Yeah sure. But hold on. I'll be right back”, I said, walking towards the table where everyone was.

“I see you found Nick”, my mom said, looking at me and smiling.

“Were gonna go in the back to talk, okay?” I said, looking straight at her. I knew she was up to something before. But I didn't expect this.

“Damn girl, Nick has gotten hotter than ever”, laughed Desiree, looking over my shoulder at him.

“I know right”, I suddenly said, not realizing what I said. I guess the alcohol was kicking in. I grabbed my beer and walked back over to where Nick was and we went in the back, the other part of the restaurant and sat at a table.

“You remember this place?” I asked him, trying to start up some conversation.

“Yeah. Every minute of it. This is where we used to hang out at and you worked at as well”, Nick said, smiling at the memories.

“Those were the good old days”, I said, laughing at the thought.

“Ashley, what happened between us?” He sudden asked, throwing me off guard.

“We had different dreams”, I simply said. 'Wow, that was easy', I thought to myself. “Your dreams were here and mine were in Maryland".

“Well you could of told me that 10 years ago”, Nick said, somewhat raising his voice a little.

“You were gonna complete your goals anyways. It was your job. Nick, your job consists of coming and going all the time. We were just 19 years old. You guys were becoming very big and you were so busy. I just did what was right. Let you complete your dream. That doesn't make me a bad person. I did you a favor. Not once did I call you and ask for child support. I didn't ask you for a dime. I was so worried that your life and career was gonna be ruined, I completely gave up my dreams. But these past 10 years, I've learned my dreams weren't ruined, they just didn't come in the order I wanted them to come”, I said softly, hoping he would understand.

“And I am so greatful for that Ashley. I really am. But damn, those are my kids too”, he said, raising his voice a little.

“I'm aware of that Nick”, I said, yelling back as well.

“For 10 years I've been trying to find you. I got your number from your sister, and I tried calling but no ones never home. I been miserable. Yeah on tv I may seem all happy, but off cameras I'm not. Last night I came in with A.J., the first time I been out in years. Last night was the first time I seen my children. Last night was the first time I saw you in 10 years in a picture. I wouldn't have recognize you if I hadn't seen those pictures your mother haves. I didn't know how many girls or boys I had. I don't know anything about them”, Nick said, trying to hold back his tears.

“Nick, I didn't mean to keep your children from you. That was the last thing I wanted to do. When I first told you we were having triplets, you gave me the hint of selfishness. But if it makes you feel any better, they know who you are. They are aware of you. They've seen pictures of you. They see you on tv. They hear you on the radio. I tell them stories about you. They love you, even if they never met you. Just like them crazy fans”, I said, smiling a little and placing his hand in mine.

“We have two boys and one girl. Nicholas Gene Carter Jr, Nathaniel Sean Carter, and Natalie Anne Carter. I'm glad you used my last name”, he said, pulling out the picture of me and the kids. “Oh and by the way, you look so beautiful. Even after having three children”, Nick said to me. I just blushed. I was flattered.

“Well taking care of three kids keeps you on your feet non-stop”, I said, laughing at myself.

“Can you tell me about them?” Nick asked me all the sudden, pratically pleading.

“Well all three of them are very smart. Each of them have their own individualily. Nick is very good in technology. He's always wondering how things work. Just like the other day, he took the microwave apart. But I'll tell you this, in 2 hours he had that thing put back together and working better then it did before. He loves the computer and finding things out. He loves cars. When I'm working on my car, he's always helping me out. He knows every tool in my tool box. All different kinds. He knows how to change the oil and fix minor things like the head lights or tail lights. He knows where everything is in the car but doesn't know how to fix them. He's the oldest and he shows it, by protecting Nate and Natty. His room has nothing but cars and a computer in it. And he doesn't play with toys”, I revealed, laughing at myself. “Nate, he's the biggest, so that's how you can tell the boys apart. He's also the strongest. He's more artistic. He loves music. He likes to play the guitar, so I taught him how to play the guitar and drums. But whatever intrument he wants to learn besides those, he has to take lessons. He loves watching movies and he's in every school play and musicals. He loves video games and I take him to some concerts. He's more outspoken then the rest. Basically he doesn't take shit from no one. He has posters all over his walls in his bedroom”, I said, laughing.

“He sounds like you. Doesn't take shit from no one”, Nick laughed, smiling at me.

“Yeah I guess so”, I replied, laughing as well. “Now Natty, she loves math. Whenever I'm doing my taxes or paying the bills, she helps me out by adding things up and coming up with better ways to pay the bills or do the taxes. She loves learning. She loves sports. She plays soft-ball in the spring and summer, soccer in the fall and basketball in the winter. She loves to do guy things. Like video games. All of them like video games. She likes 4- wheeling, cars. She doesn't know much as Nick does, but she just wants to be nosey. Their vocabulary is amazing. And all three of them are very smart”, I said, proudly. Looking down at the table.

“They have different interest and personalities that remind us how we were”, Nick laughed, looking at me.

“I know right”, I laughed as well.

“Where are they now?” Nick asked me, curiously.

“Over my mother's house. We're here for a couple of days and then go home”, I said sadly.

“And where's home?” He asked, playing dumb. “Your mom told me you did live in Maryland. You own like 5 houses down there”.

“We live in Louisiana right now. Just outside of New Orleans in a small town. We love it there. It's a good community”, I said proudly.

“Well that's good to hear”, Nick said feeling sad once again.