- Text Size +
Chapter 17

Nick knew making his plan work would take a lot of effort. It would defintely take a lot of well thought out actions. He knew that getting away from security would be one of the hardest parts. Since Brian had left, it was much harder to leave the hotel. Nick had even considered leaving the way that Brian had but security had placed someone at all sides of the hotel. There was no way that he was going to be able to leave without security. That meant that he would have to leave the building with security with him, but how would he be able to ditch him?

Nick knew that was the only way. He had to find a way to lose who ever went with him before they knew that anything had happened. Once he was gone, they wouldn't know where to find him, and so as long as he had that moment to escape, it would be alright. That's all he needed. Brian's life relied on it. Nick walked out of his hotel room and was stopped immediately by security.

"Where do you think you're going Carter?" Jack asked as he sureyed Nick. He was wearing black jeans and a black t-shit with dark sunglasses, and topped off with a black leather jacket.

"I was coming to get security," he answered softly.

"Why? What happened?" Jack asked.

"Nothing. I just need to get out for a little while and I know that I'm not supposed to leave without one of you guys."

"I'll go with you, just let me have someone take my watch," Jack told Nick and he nodded. Jack opened the door of the room that security was staying but didn't go in. He just called in that someone needed to take his post for a little while. Nick walked behind Jack as they headed out of the hotel.

"So where did you want to go?" Jack asked, looking at Nick.

"I don't know. Just needed to get out for a while so that I could think without being stuck in the hotel," he answered looking away from Jack and across the street.

"What's over there?" Jack asked looking in the direction that Nick was looking.

"Nothing," he answered and smiled, "I'm just glad to be able to look at something other than the same four walls all day long."

"Enough to make anyone go crazy right?" Jack asked.

"Tell me about it." Jack smiled and then they started walking. Nick kept his eye open for any thing that could help him escape from Jacks watch. All he needed was a second. They continued to walk and nothing came up. Nick kept trying to think about what he could do that would make it look like he didn't have anything on his mind.

"Hungry kid?" Jack asked. Nick looked over at him, and a grin spread across his face.

"Yeah, actually I am," he answered. His chance might be coming.

"Ok, I saw some place up ahead, we can stop over there," he told him.

"Yeah," Nick answered. This was going smoothly, he thought. It wasn't as hard as he thought it would be. Everything just happened to be working in his favor. When the reached the resturaunt, they walked into it and Jack turned to Nick.

"Go grab a table kid," he said. Nick eyes almost lit up. This was a hell of a lot easier than he thought that he was going to be. Nick nodded and walked around the corner where he was out of Jacks sight. He quickly spotted a door and opened it and walked out. When he was outside, he picked up his pace so that he could be far enough away when Jack realized that he had left.

He had made a lot of turns do that no one would be able to find him. Nick relaxed after nearly twenty minutes had passed and no one had found him. He was away from security and it was time to put his plan into motion.

Nick began to walk towards the house that he had become familiar with years before. It was a time in his life that he wished never happened. Too many bad things happened to him then, but he didn't seem to care, or even notice. It was just another day in the life as he was told. He would have reached the house sooner if he wasn't on foot, but he had to work with what he had. When he finally reached the house, he walked up the steps to the front door. He grabbed the knob and opened the door. He stepped in and looked around. Not much had change, other than it was empty.

Nick walked deeper into the house. Memories of a life that seemed like it wasn't even his began to fill his mind. When he had left this house, he hoped that he would never come back, but now it was a matter of life and death and he wasn't about to let that happen to the guys. They were the ones that straightened out his life, but they never knew it. He really owed a lot to them, if they only knew how much.

Nick continued to walk. He was here, it was a large house, he just had to be patient. He cautiously opened doors with the fear that he might be behind anyone of them and ready to strike at the drop of a dime. Nick covered the whole first floor and then began to head up to the second floor. His heart was beginning to race. When he reaced the top of the stairs, he saw him, sitting in a chair seated a few feet after the landing of stairs.

"It's been a long time Nickolas," he greeted softly; politely.

"Not long enough," Nick replied. He smiled at Nick but didn't rise from the chair.

"I've been expecting you," he answered Nicks reply. Nick didn't say anything. He really didn't know what to say, he didn't want to be there. "We've missed you."

"You're going to keep on missing me," Nick told him, "because I'm only here to get my friend and that's it. I told you I don't want anything to do with this any more. Tell me where Brian is so we can end all of this before it goes further than either of us want it to go."

"We may be able to arrange something," he said to Nick and finally stood up from the chair and walked over to the window, "I don't want to hurt your friend. Like you've been saying from the beginning, he doesn't have anything to do with this. Besides, it wouldn't benfit us in any way to do away with him. I'm willing to let him go, unharmed, if you agree to come back to us."

"How do I know that he isn't already hurt?" Nick asked staring at the older man before him. He smiled and snaped his fingers and Brian was walked out by a large man, "I told you that he would be alright as long as you kept your word. You know my word is good."

Brian looked at Nick. He couldn't believe that this was happening. Nick really did have something to do with all of this. But why? How? What would Nick have in common with any of these people? He was so young, how did he get involved in something that was so serious?

"Fine, I'll stay," Nick answered, Brian looking at him stunned, "just take him back to the hotel."