- Text Size +
Chapter 5

The others were stunned to find out about the most recent murder. What bothered them even more was that they were not able to leave the hotel. Even though they tried to accept it, any one could tell that there was still a bit of uneasyness about remaining at the hotel. They all had felt that it wasn't a safe place for them to be staying and were sure that they would be leaving. They also tried to accept that security still had a job to do there. Besides, they wouldn't let anything happen to any of them. It was their jobs to make sure that they were all safe.

"What are we going to do about rehursals?" Kevin asked taking a sip of his coffee.

"They've been postponed. Everything has been," Brian informed his cousin.

"So we can't we just go home?"

"Security doesn't want us to leave."

"Don't you think it would be better if we were home so that we wouldn't be in the center of this? I don't know if you noticed, but almost everyone that was staying here, checked out," Kevin told him, "they knew this place wasn't safe."

"Don't you think I realize that? We've been ordered to stay Kevin. Hey, I want to go home too, this is the last place that I want to be, but there is nothing that we can do about it."

"What if we get security to take us home? Do you think that they would let us leave that way?"

"All security has been ordered to stay here. They can't leave either."

"What kind of shit is that? We have to stay here when there is a killer on the lose?"

"I know how you feel. I don't want to stay here any more than you do, but we have to. Trust me, if there was a way for us to get home safely, they'd let us leave."

"It's not like we're safe here. For all anyone knows, one of us could be next!"

"Kev, don't say that. That's not going to happen."

"You know as well as I do that it's a possibility. Everyone that was killed here didn't think that they were in any danger either and look at what happened to them. I just have to tell you that staying here is so stupid."

"I agree with that much, but security has been ordered by the police to stay and their jobs are to make sure that we are safe. Since they can't leave, they don't want us to either, it's for our safety."

"If this was really for our safety, we'd have been gone right after the first murder and not have stuck around for the second."

"That was in the middle of the night and we wouldn't have known were to go that late. Besides, they were both killed the same night so there really wasn't anything that we could have done till morning anyway and with the second murder, things changed. We ended up in another situation. Now we can't go any where because we wouldn't be safe."

"We're not much safer here. Even with the hightened security last night, someone else was still killed. How safe does that make you feel Brian?" Kevin asked, looking into Brians eyes knowing that he had brought up a point that he couldn't argue with.

"We're just going to have to make the best of this. We aren't going anywhere anytime soon I don't think so we'd better learn to just live with it."

"Aren't you scared?" Kevin asked, "I sure as hell know that I am. Anything might happen and you know that. You can't tell me that you aren't scared knowing that."

"I never said that I wasn't scared. Truthfully, I'm scared out of my mind. This is way too much for me to handle all at once. People are dead; killed and we don't know why. That scares me. It scares me to know that there is someone in this world that is that sick. We have to stay put until further notice, it's what we've been told to do. It is for our safety."

"Alright fine," Kevin said giving in. He knew that he wasn't going to be able to talk Brian into telling him that he wanted to leave. It would have been losing battle and he knew it.

"Sorry," Brian said, noticing Kevins fustration.

"Hey Kev," Nick said as Kevin stormed passed him.

"What's up with him?" Nick asked Brian.

"He doesn't want to stay here. Not that I can really blame him, but you know we've been ordered to stay here," he answered.

"I'd like to leave myself," Nick said sitting across from Brian where Kevin had been siting.

"I know, I know. We all would like to leave, not excluding myself. I'm scared out of my mind and I don't know how much more I can take. But like I told Kevin, we can't leave. We aren't allowed to 'cause we wouldn't have security."

"Lets just drop this," Nick suggested.

"What are we going to do today?" Brian asked.

"Aside from finding any more dead bodies, we've been on a roll with that one lately, I have no idea," Nick joked, flashing Brian a wide grin. Brian smiled and looked up at Nick.

"You're something else you know that?"

"Yeah and I'm damn proud of it too," Nick answered him with a goofy smile on his face. Brian laughed at how silly his best friend was being.

"Hey, I think we should call our families and let them know that everything is alright ya know? I'm sure that they've heard about everything already. They did know where we were staying and they might be worried," Brian commented.

"Good idea," Nick answered, "come on. We can use the phone in my room. Then when we've called everyone, we can chill for a while."

"Okay lets go," Brian said and then they started to head to Nicks room. It only took them a couple of minutes to reach Nicks room. There was really no activity at the hotel because a lot of people had checked out because of the recent events. Yet there was still several people who had stayed to tough it out. Whether it was because they had no choice or not, who knew? When the two men reached Nicks room, they walked over towards the phone. Nick let out a long, tired sigh as he dropped down to the bed. He stared up at the celing for a moment.

"Go ahead," Nick said, "you use the phone first."

"Okay," Brian said. As he reached towards the phone. It began to ring. Startling the both of them. "You expecting a phone call?" Nick shook his head no and Brian slowly reached towards the phone.

"Probably security," Nick suggested when Brian was within reaching distance of the phone.

"Hello?" he answered, agreeing with Nicks suggestion. Something probably came up and Brian wasn't in his room so they knew that they could probably contact him in Nicks room.

"Ahhh, Mr. Littrell," a stange voice said, "wasn't expecting you to answer."

"Who is this?" Brian asked worried. He looked over at Nick, who was now staring at him.

"Time will tell. I'm sure that we'll meet one day soon. Probably sooner than you think actually," the voice informed Brian, "I was hoping to talk to Mr. Carter, but seeing that I've got you on the line, I figure, why the hell not talk to you."

"What is this all about?" Brian asked getting slightly fustrated. The voice laughed.

"You'll find out soon enough my friend. But for now, just listen to me. I know a lot more than you think I know."

"Who the hell is this?" Brian asked again.

"Now Mr. Littrell, don't go getting me angry, you just might regret it. Now you better listen to me and you better listen good alright? Your life is in my hands. I see everything that you do. You can't as much take a shit without me knowing about it and that goes for everyone else. Now, I will be keeping in contact with you and everyone else to let you know exactly what I want. Just one warning though, don't tell anyone about this little conversation of ours. Otherwise," the voice laughed, "you won't live long enough to prove it."

Just as Brian was about to speak, he heard the dial tone. His hands were now shaking from the shock of the phone call. Slowly, he placed the phone back onto its craddle. Nick looked at him and waited for him to say something. When he didn't, he knew that he had to ask.

"Who was it Bri?" Nick asked, looking into Brians eyes with were filled with such a fear that Nick was almost afraid to know what had just happened.

"No one," Brian answered quickly.

"What do you mean it was no one? You just had the shit scared out of you. I can see it man, there's no use in hiding it. Now, do you want to tell me what that was all about?"

"It was some guy. He had called to talk to you, but when I answered the phone, he knew my name," Brian started.

"Bri, a lot of people know your name. It kinda comes along with the job," Nick joked.

"No, it wasn't a fan or anything," Brian defended, "He said that my life was in his hands. He said that he can see us, and that he's going to be keeping in touch with us so that he can tell us what he wants."

"Oh come on," Nick said rolling his eyes, "someone actually fooled you with that? Come on, you know it had to be a prank. I've pulled enough to know that someone wants revenge. That was probably it and you just happened to intercept it."

"Nick this is not a prank!" Brian yelled, "no one would do something like this right after two people were murdered!"

"There are a lot of sick people out there and you know that. I doubt that this call is anything that we should be getting all worked up about. Just go back to what you were doing. Call Leighanne and everyone and tell them we're fine. Forget this," Nick said laying back down on the bed. Brian hesitated for a moment but then picked up the phone and made a few phone calls to let everyone know that he was alright and for them not to be worried cause they have a great security team looking after them. That didn't even make him feel safe.

"Feel better?" Nick asked as he watched Brian hang up the phone. Brian glanced at Nick who was smiling. His smile faded when he saw that Brian wasn't smiling too, "What's wrong?"

"I think if we are going to stay here, we should get different rooms. Just to be safe you know?" Brian suggested. Nick looked at him with concern in his eyes.

"Don't you think that we're safe here?"

"What about that phone call? I don't want this guy to know what rooms we're in."

"Come on, it was a prank," Nick began.

"That might be, but I would rather change rooms anyway, just in case? Rather be safe than sorry right?" Brian asked Nick. Nick sighed softly as he ran his hand through his hair.

"I guess if it would make you feel better. We can talk to Carlos about that. I'm sure he won't mind us changing rooms."

"Thanks Nick," Brian said lightly. Nick half smiled at Brian. Nick was concered. Everything about this was getting to Brian and Nick didn't want it to drive him crazy. He convinced himself that if they changed rooms, Brian might feel a lot better about all of this and maybe gain some composure in the process.