- Text Size +
Promises.
By Vicki © 2004

She sat at the desk typing on her computer, she had a deadline and knew if she didn’t get the story finished and to the publisher on time she would lose her funding. She hurried to finish the last chapter, her radio booming music that even the music critics would hate. Several times during the evening her neighbors had come to complain about the loudness of her opera music was to loud. Apologizing she would turn down the music and go about her business. She had finally changed the radio to a country music station and listened to the sweet sounds of several new artists. A weather warning came across the news bulletin and she paid it no mind, usually bad weather would stay away from her area and never had to worry about it. She had also heard about an escaped convict that was on the loose. She had to remember to set the alarm before heading to bed.

It had become later, she rubbed her sore eyes and looked towards the clock, four am.
“ Damn it. I give up.” She muttered, her husband had long since gone to bed and she could hear his soft snores down the hall. Laughing a bit she saved the document she was working on and headed up the stairs.
“ Ah shit.” She heard her husband say as he stumbled over something in the dark.
“ Turn on a light dipshit.” She yelled as she headed into the bathroom.
“ I didn’t think you’d still be up.” He said making his way to her.
“ Well that book is due to the publisher today. I have to get it done. Alex I don’t know if this book is going to be any good.”
“ Sam, your last three books where a big hit.”
“ But my last three books where all romance. I wrote a horror book.” Samantha said looking at her husband.
“ Don’t worry if we don’t make it big on your books we always have my music.” He said with a smirk.
“ Yeah I know. When do you return to work?”
“ Couple of weeks. Kevin called yesterday.”
“ So you’ve got today off?”
“ Of course why wouldn’t I? I mean I did promise you that today we would spend it together. I just didn’t think part of it would be spent with you sleeping?”
“So come cuddle with me. You can watch a movie while I sleep. But I have to have that book to the publisher by five.”
“ I will make sure. Did you save it?”
“ Of course the disk is sitting on the desk. I have to get up early to print all one hundred and fifty pages.”
“ Damn girl.” AJ said kissing her.
“ Well you know my love of writing.” Samantha said turning and kissing him.
“ Yes I do. If I recall we met at your first book signing.” AJ said holding her close.
“ Yes that we did. Come on let’s get back to bed.” Samantha said leading him back into the bedroom. She slid off her robe and climbed into bed. AJ slid into the bed next to her and held her close. He knew she’d quickly be asleep because she had been working on that book for three days nonstop and now it was finished and he knew it would be her best yet.

AJ moaned and looked over at the clock.
“ Ok who’s the idiot calling at 3 in the afternoon?” AJ said rubbing his eyes as he reached for the phone.
“ ‘ello?”
“ Mr. McLean?”
“ Speaking.” AJ said, his voice full of sleep.
“ This is Mark at Random house. Is your wife home?”
“ Oh shit.” AJ said now fully awake.
“ Sorry?”
“ Hold on, let me get her.” AJ said putting his hand over the mouth piece. “ Baby the phone is for you. It’s Mark, your publisher.”
“ What does he want?” She muttered.
“ I would guess the book.” AJ said nudging her with the phone.
“ What time is it?” She asked sitting bolt up right.
“ Three.” He said. Handing her the phone. Samantha took the phone and muttered a hello.
“ Sam, where is that book?”
“ Mark don’t get your undies in a bunch.”
“ Sam, you promised that book would be on my desk by five.”
“ Yes Mark and what time is it currently?”
“ Three and that’s besides the point.”
“ No it isn’t, I said I’d have it there by five and I will. Don’t worry.” Samantha said hanging up before he could protest any further.
“ I am going to go and take a shower.” AJ said heading into the bathroom.
“ I’ll be there in a minuet.” Samantha said heading down the stairs to the computer room. She turned it on and waited for it to boot up. She slid the disk in and opened the document. She smiled and then hit the print button, making sure there was enough paper she smiled and then headed up to join her husband in the shower.


“ Ok baby, I’ll be about half an hour.” Samantha said.
“ I’ll meet you at the restaurant.” AJ said into the cell phone.
“ We meeting the guys?”
“ Yep, they are all bringing their wives or girlfriends so we are all meeting for a celebration dinner.”
“ Ok, I’ll be there as quickly as I can.”
“ Ok I love you.”
“ I love you too.” Samantha said shutting off her phone. She headed into the building and up the elevators to the fifth floor.
“ Hello Sam.”
“ Hi Julie, is he still pacing?”
“ Of course. You can go right in.” Julie said shaking her head. Samantha chuckled and headed into Mark’s office.
“ Well isn’t this cutting it close?”
“ Mark it is twenty five after four. And I needed to shower and get dressed.”
“ Do you normally come to your publisher dressed like that?”
“ Not really but I needed to this time cause I have plans with my husband. Here is the book. I really hope you like it. And I gotta go.”
“ We have to talk about this thing first, so sit.” Mark said pointing to the chair in front of his desk. Samantha sighed and sat down.