- Text Size +
“ What’s wrong?” Samantha asked.
“ Nothing.” Mark said skimming over the pages of the story that now sat before him. He read the first few pages and let a smile play on his face.
“ Wonderful.” Mark said looking up at her.
“ Thanks, took me nearly a year to write that a three sleepless days to finish it.”
“ I bet, but it’s wonderful. I will send this down to publication and we should have the book out within the next week. Your check should be there in the next few weeks after that. I am seeing another number one from you.”
“ This is my first of this kind. I hope my readers like it.”
“ Promises is going to be your best novel yet.” Mark said with a smile.
“ Good. Now I really gotta go, I have a dinner engagement.”
“ Enjoy your dinner.” Mark said with a smile.



AJ sat down at the large table and looked around. He took a look at his watch and sighed, he was early, that was a first even for him.
“ Hey J.”
“ Hey D, I see that you brought Becky.” AJ said smiling sweetly at the young woman that stood to Howie’s right.
“ Yep, Becky you’ve met Alex?”
“ Yep, the pleasure is mine.” Becky said with a smile. AJ sometimes wondered if that girl was just dating Howie for his money.
“ Here comes Brian and Leigh.” AJ said seeing his other friend.
“ Hey you four. Where’s Kevin and Dianna?”
“ Coming. I received a call from Kevin on my way here. Nick’s coming with Paris too.”
“ Why does he date that girl again?”
“ Because he likes her. To be honest I think it’s cute. And as long as he’s happy I’m not pushing it.” Brian said looking at his friends. AJ knew that Nick was happy at the moment with Paris and that was all that mattered.
“ Hey everyone.” Paris said happily.
“ Hi Nick, Hi Paris.” They all said. AJ rolled his eyes at the site of what Paris was wearing to such a nice dinner.
“ Could have had a longer dress?” AJ asked. Paris just looked at him and then up at Nick.
“ Did he just insult me?” She asked.
“ No baby he didn’t.” Nick said looking at AJ with fire in his eyes.
“ Now boys no fighting. Could you look more like a slut Paris?” Samantha asked coming up to the table.
“ Ok I knew that was an insult.”
“ And your damned right it was. This is a fancy restaurant I would have expected someone of your breeding to know the difference between a fancy restaurant and the local club.” Samantha said looking at her. Paris pouted and then did the one thing they all never expected she slugged Samantha.
“ No one insults me.”
“ Uh Paris. That wasn’t a good idea, Sam is a black belt in Karate and has every right now to beat the crap out of you.” Nick said stepping back.
“ I am going to be a lady tonight Nick. If your whore cant be one then take her home. I was hoping to celebrate this with my family.” Samantha said whipping blood off her face. Nick felt badly but nodded leading Paris from the restaurant, passing Kevin and his new wife Dianna as they entered.
“ How about we get that cleaned up?” Leigh said. Samantha nodded and let her lead her from the group. Dianna and Becky quickly followed.
“ What happened?” Kevin asked.
“ Paris happened. That and my wife’s insatiable urge to insult that girl.”
“ I am so sorry about that.” Nick said rushing back in.
“ Where’s Paris?”
“ I put her in a cab and gave her some money to go home.”
“ You mean you weren’t going to leave with her?”
“ Hell no, I was highly amazed that Sam didn’t just hit her back.”
“ If my wife ends up with a fat lip, your going to get one Nick.” AJ said looking at the younger man.
“ She’s fine.” Dianna said coming back over.
“ How bad?”
“ Split lip, but us ladies handled it wonderfully.” Leigh said moving over to her husband. Samantha walked over to AJ and leaned on his shoulder.
“ Baby, why do you start things with her?”
“ Because Nick can do better. But I am sorry Nick if I ruined your evening with Paris.”
“ Eh, no big deal. Paris was getting clingy any ways.” Nick said looking at Samantha. He felt badly that she had even got hit but Paris had a temper and no one had seen that punch coming.
“ How about we call this evening a wash. I take my wife home and we try another night?”
“ Yeah that sounds like a plan.”
“ Without Paris.” Nick said smiling.
“ Good idea. All right I’ll call you guys when we get the news about the book.” AJ said. They said their good-byes and headed out of the restaurant. AJ stopped and picked up a pizza on his way home, he knew that Samantha’s lip hurt too much so he picked her up a small salad. They arrived back at the house an hour later.


Samantha moved around the house in a daze, she hadn’t slept much the night before, partly excited over the prospect of a new book and partly cause her face hurt.
“ I should have hit the bitch.” Samantha said. She heard AJ chuckle as he entered the room.
“ You would have knocked her teeth out sweet heart. That wouldn’t have been a pretty picture.”
“ So, she would have deserved it. And what’s worse there been a photographer there. We’ve got a nice picture.” Samantha said holding up the front page.
“ Well I hope she’s happy.” AJ said looking at the picture.
“ She better be, I got a call from my lawyer this morning. Papers have been filed.”
“ About what?”
“ Assault.”
“ You’re kidding?”
“ Nope, Andrew called this morning and told me that he had filed the papers. I never even asked.”
“ Baby, your going to have to stop those.”
“ I can’t, I am as much a celebratety as she is. And I have as much right to having her leave me alone as she does me.”
“ I know. It doesn’t look to bad today.”
“ Lots of make up. Has Mark called?”
“ Not yet. But I know he will, cause he always does when the first copy is ready.”
“ I know. Hey let’s go get some breakfast and then maybe just be together today.”
“ Sounds good to me.” AJ said pulling her into his arms. “ I always enjoy days where we can just be alone.”
“ We don’t get them very often.”
“ No we don’t and with the new tour starting soon I want as much time with you as possible.”
“ Whose tour mine or yours?”
“ Both, that book of yours is going to be a big success and with the new album we are going to be so busy.”
“ I am never to busy for you. Remember that.” Samantha said. She smiled and wiggled out of his arms and headed out the front door. AJ laughed and took off after her.