- Text Size +
It had been nearly two weeks since she had submitted her book and she was enjoying her free time with her husband and his friends. They lay outside by the pool taking in the southern Florida sun.
“ I’ll get it.” Samantha said hearing the phone inside the house ring. She hurried to answer it before AJ’s godoffal machine got it.
“ Hello?” She said out of breath.
“ Sam?”
“ Hey Mark.”
“ I wanted to call and let you know your book has hit shelves.”
“ Thanks for the call. When do I expect the first check?”
“ Couple of weeks. You just enjoy your free time.”
“ Thanks Mark.” Samantha said hanging up the phone. Samantha walked back out onto the back porch watching her husband and his friends. She knew that soon he’d be leaving her to start the tour and she’d be leaving to start her book tour. Nick scrambled from the water when he heard his cell phone ring. He began talking to someone in a rush and then suddenly dropped the phone.
“ Nick, what’s wrong?” Samantha asked coming to his side as the others climbed from the water.
“ Paris is dead.”
“ What?” Samantha asked as if she hadn’t heard him correctly.
“ Paris is dead. I..I gotta go.” Nick said grabbing his stuff and heading from the house.
“ Nick, you can’t go alone. I’ll come with you.” Samantha said looking at the others.
“ Are you sure?” Nick asked.
“ Yeah, it’s ok little brother, maybe it’s a mistake.” Samantha said heading into the house. “ Just give me a second to get dressed.” She said heading up the stairs to her bedroom.
“ Yeah man, maybe that’s it. It’s all a publicity stunt. You know how dramatic Paris can be.”
“ That was her sister that called. She found Paris.”
“ How?”
“ She has a key to Paris’s apartment just like I do. She didn’t understand why she wasn’t answering the door since her car was right outside. She found Paris hanging from the rafters.”
“ Could she have been depressed? I mean it didn’t look to good for her when she got charged for assault when she hit Sam.” AJ said.
“ How was she found?” Samantha asked coming into the room.
“ Hanging from the rafters. No note nothing.” Nick said as tears rolled down his cheeks.
“ Hey, just remember it was nothing you did.” Samantha said touching his arm. She had the weirdest feeling that something about this was familiar.
“ So you’ll come with me?” He asked.
“Yeah little bro. I will. Come on, and don’t any of you leave this house until we figure out what’s going on.” Samantha said looking at them. Everyone nodded, numb from the actual event of Paris being killed.


Samantha parked the truck and followed Nick into the building. Police cars and reporters where everywhere. Nick lowered his head and headed into the building.
“ Nick you came.”
“Yes I did. I want to see her.”
“ Nick, they haven’t even cut her down yet.” Paris’s sister cried.
“ Then I’ll get them to cut her down, she deserves that much.” Samantha said heading into the apartment. She took a look around the large apartment and then looked up to see Paris’s nearly naked body hanging from the rafters. She turned to the officers in the room.
“ Aren’t you at least going to cut her down?”
“ As soon as the crime scene is dusted yes. Till then she stays where she is. Who the hell are you?”
“ Samantha McLean, my friend Nick was her boyfriend.” Samantha said pointing to Paris.
“ Where is he?”
“ In the hall. I wasn’t about to let him in here to see this.”
“ Where has he been all day?”
“ With me. We where having a party at my place and he’s in a band with my husband.”
“ Can anyone else verify that?”
“ Yes, my husband, his best friend and wife, Nick’s best friend and his wife, Kevin and Dianna.” Samantha said listing off the people she knew where at her home.
“ All right we will need a statement from each of them.” The officer said.
“ Fine then.” Samantha said looking up at Paris once again. Her body was unmarked, except for the rope burn around her neck; there was no struggle. But she knew that Paris wasn’t the type to just suddenly kill her.
“ Nick your not needed here and I would prefer that you come home with me. And I’d suggest you go home as well.” Samantha said looking at Paris’s sister. She nodded and headed for the exit.



Samantha had made sure that Nick was settled into the guestroom of the house and he was sleeping before she headed down stairs to join the others.
“ The police where here and confirmed that Nick was here with us all day.” Kevin said running his hands threw his hair, Dianna looked at him and nodded.
“ Yeah they seemed to think Nick did this but since we all basically confirm that Nick was here, they can’t pin this on him.”
“ But who would hate Paris that much?”
“ Good question.” AJ said looking at her.
“ Well I would feel safer after something like this if everyone would stay here, we have plenty of room.” Samantha said looking at them.
“ We should probably just head home. Sam everything will be fine. We will check in, in the morning.” Kevin said standing.
“ All right, I’d prefer you all stayed here but if you’d rather go home. Please be careful.”
“ We will. Good night.” Kevin said as they all left the house.
“ Something doesn’t feel right.”
“ How so babe?”
“ It’s something that just makes this feel like I’ve seen the scenario before. Like I wrote it.”
“ How so?”
“ I don’t know. Maybe I’ve spent too much time on Promises to really think about it. We have a book signing tomorrow.” Samantha said.
“ You still want to go after what happened to Paris?”
“ Yeah I have to, it’s kind of in the contract. For now let’s get some sleep. Even if this is like a book, I never kill all my characters anyway.” Samantha said with a sly grin.
“ Yeah I know I read Promises, only one person dies and the rest slowly come up missing. Best book of yours I’ve read so far.”
“ Thanks.”


“ Yes it is the best book you’ve written, but your wrong Sam, two people died in Promises, the ditzy girlfriend and the dutiful husband. But I will have fun with this book. You’re best ever. Then I’ll have you all to myself.” The figure in the said in the bushes, he stood watching the couple as they readied for bed. No action tonight, he thought to himself, he knew that she was to worried about young Nick to give up anything to her husband that night. But no matter soon she wouldn’t even have him around anymore.



“ Sam?” She heard Nick said.
“ Nick, what are you doing in here?” Samantha asked turning on her bedroom light, she gasped as the light played on his pale features and now blood covered clothing.
“ What the hell?” AJ said sitting up and looking at his friend.
“ Where are you hurt?” Samantha asked scrambling from the bed; she began checking him for wounds.
“ I’m not, someone came into my room, I heard them. They placed their gloved hand over my mouth and slowly dumped blood all over me. They said it was Paris’s blood.” Nick said trying to control his tears. Samantha nodded, she had seen Paris’s body and she had been pale but there where no wounds how could they have gotten her blood out if she had no wounds.
“ Come on let’s get you showered and changed.” AJ said leading Nick from the bedroom. Samantha knew that was her cue to go and clean the room. She walked into the bedroom and held back a scream. Written on the wall was..
EVERYONE YOU CARE ABOUT WILL SLOWLY DISAPPEAR! PROMISES!
She could hardly hold back the scream let alone the sudden urge she had to throw up. The room Nick had been sleeping in was totally covered in blood from the bed to the walls all the way to the floor. She could have sworn that it was as if someone had been killed in this very room. She pulled the door shut and decided that cleaning it would wait until morning before she decided to even venture into the room. The phone rang startling her from her thoughts.
“ Hello?”
“ Sam, is everything all right?”
“ Kevin? What’s wrong? It’s like.. It’s like two am what did you need?”
“ I couldn’t sleep I was worried about Nick.”
“ He’s fine. How about you guys come over in the morning.”
“ All right.” Kevin said. “ Sorry to have woke you.”
“ You didn’t. Night Kevin.”
“ Night Sam.” Kevin said hanging up. Samantha headed downstairs to her study, she pulled the finished copy of her book from it’s hiding place and began to thumb threw it.


Chapter 2: The missing pieces.

She had been morning her friends death for days now, she hadn’t understood why she had hung herself and why she had been found in such a state. Her friend’s boyfriend had been accused and arrested for the crime. But she knew he hadn’t been at fault he had been out shopping all day for the perfect gift. Now she had her own lover missing, he had come up missing less than two days following her friend’s death, but she knew he didn’t leave of his own free will. She had found the note he had attempted to scribble down.


Samantha looked up from the paper to see AJ standing in the doorway.
“ Babe why are you reading your book?”
“ Something feels familiar about what’s going on. I swear it’s as if some sicko is taking this out of my book.”
“ There is no way that anyone would even bother to try that. I mean come on.”
“ Alex, this book is about a man that is in love with a woman he cant have, the title was for the fact that he had made promises to her that would lead her back to him. That he would do anything in his power to make her his even if he had to kill all of her friends to do it.”
“ Yeah but didn’t the crazy man die at the end?”
“ Yeah at the hands of the boyfriend if I recall.”
“ Don’t worry about it. This book isn’t real life.” AJ said kissing her cheek.
“ How’s Nick?”
“ I put him in the guest room next to ours. How bad was the room he was in?”
“ Bad, Kevin and the others are coming by in the morning to help fix it up.”
“ Good. Come on let’s try to get some sleep.” AJ said leading her back upstairs.