- Text Size +
Planet Earth, somewhere in the future.

“Rachel, are you going to name your baby Nick?”

“Nick?” she asked, staring at him from behind the magazine she was reading. “No, I’m not naming my son Nick. What gave you that idea?… Wait a minute,” she added leaving the magazine aside “Where did you hear that name?”

“Well...” he replied without holding her gaze. “Howie and I were listening to our dads talking and I don’t know why but my dad seemed very nervous, he kept saying these things we didn’t understand; and then uncle Howard told him that although your preg… your preg…”

“Pregnancy?”

“Yes, that. That although your pregnancy surprised them and probably everything was going to happen before they thought, there was still plenty of time, at least until Nick’s birth.”

As soon as Kevin mentioned his father’s conversation he noticed a change in Rachel’s eyes. Rachel had been really sad lately but her eyes had never lost their bright before, at least not that Kevin remembered. Right now those same blue eyes looked so dark.

“Kev, you know that your father doesn’t like you listening to his conversations and I’m sure that Howie’s dad doesn’t like it either. Stop doing it before you get in trouble.”

“What’s going on Rach?” he asked softly.

“What you mean?”

“I’m sure something is happening and you know it. Everyone’s acting weird.”

“I’ve no idea what you’re talking about, baby.”

Rachel knew that they wouldn’t be able to keep everything away from Kevin for too long and that made her even more nervous. Although the little boy was just 7 years old he was one of the smartest people she knew.

“Yeah, right!” he said rolling his eyes “I know something bad is happening. My mom has been crying a lot lately. She tries to hide it but I’ve heard her. And I’m sure it’s not only because of your baby,” he added pointing to Rachel’s growing stomach.

Kevin regretted his words the minute he said them, watching the sadness in Rachel’s face. Rachel was more than his aunt. His father, Rachel’s brother, had raised her since their parents’ death and 16 years old Rachel was like a sister to Kevin and his little brother Brian.

“I’m sorry Rach. I didn’t mean to make you sad.”

“Don’t worry Kev, it’s okay”, she replied with a smile.

“Have you heard something about, you know, his father?”

“No, and I really don’t want to know about him. I hope he never comes back”, she said sounding a little more harsh than she wanted. “But, its okay” she added in a voice just above a whisper, signaling Kevin to take a seat at her side. “I have all that I need in this house. You are going to help me with the baby, aren’t you Kev?”

“Of course I am. I’m going to take care of him. That’s what big cousins are for,” he said with a big smile on his face.

“That’s all I needed to hear, baby,” she murmured hugging him. “That’s all I needed to hear.”


---------------------------------



“How could you tell me that I’ve nothing to worry about when you’re worried too?”

“Calm down Rachel.”

“No, Ryan, don’t tell me to calm down! I’m seeing things I’ve never seen before and I’m sure it’s because of the baby. I’m scared Ryan, something’s not right.”

“Rach, there’s nothing wrong with Alexander” he replied placing his hands on her shoulders.

“Alexander?”

“Yes, Alexander. That’s his name, isn’t it?”

“I don’t want to name him Alexander. And I don’t want that kind of responsibility for my baby,” she almost screamed.

“It is not our decision to make.”

“Why not? I can’t understand why we have to give our kids this responsibility.”

“They are not going to be kids anymore when they take charge of their destinies.”

“I’m scared Ryan. I’m feeling the things this baby will be able to do. I remember when Ally was pregnant with Brian, she used to tell me what she felt, but I never imagined it was something like this. The five of them will be too powerful and that’s dangerous.”

“Everything is going to be okay Rachel. They will be able to do it. They are different.”

“Yes, that’s the word, different. That’s just what I’m telling you. You know that there’s a chance Alex could be different from the others too. He probably won’t be like Howie or your kids. His father…”

“Forget his father. If anything, that would make Alexander even more special. He could be able to do things that no one before him has been able to.”

“He will be alone,” she said without holding the tears anymore.

“No, he will be with Kevin and the others. They will be there for him and he will be there for them. He will be with his brothers.”

“Brothers?”

“They would become brothers, sweetie, they will grow up together, fight together, they will take care of each other.”

“And why can’t we be there too?”

“I wish we could, sis, but that’s not the future we have seen.”

“So what? You know the future can change. Isn’t that the point of all this, they changing the future and saving the human race? We know pretty well that future can change, nothing is ever certain until it happens. Look at me, I’m the perfect example. You knew that I was going to have a kid named Alexander but I bet you never thought I would be having him at this age, nor that Drew was going to be his father.” She choked on her tears. “What if everything changes? What if something happens and we are able to stay with them a little longer?”

“I guess you are right,” he sighed. “Anything is possible.”


----
Copyright ©2004
All Rights Reserved
No part of this story may be copied or reprinted without the author's permission.