- Text Size +

Author's Note: I know I have been kind of late with the updates and I'm sorry for that but at least I'm trying to give you very long chapters like this one which I hope you enjoy. And you know that feedback is always welcome ;)


~ × ~ × ~ × ~ × ~ × ~ × ~× ~ × ~ × ~

“Why are you laughing?” Brian asked coming to the room. “And how are you feeling Frack?”

“I’m okay.”

“Really?”

“Really Brian, don’t worry.”

“So?”

“So what?” I raised my eyebrows.

“Why were you laughing?”

“Oh, Nick and I were remembering our little adventure at Philippians.”

“Which one?”

We didn’t reply, I only had to smirk and Brian easily understood what we were talking about.

“Oh, you mean your first pilot experience.”

“Yeah.”

“Man, I was so scared when I found out what was happening.”

“That’s because it was your fault Bri.”

“My fault? How it was MY fault?”

“Well, you fell asleep” Nick winked at him.


~ × ~ × ~ × ~ × ~ × ~ × ~× ~ × ~ × ~


“I’m bored Alex,” Nick said jumping up and down on his bed again.

“I thought you and Brian were playing in the other room. Where is he?”

“He fell asleep.” Nick rolled his eyes. “Being sick sucks, these have been the most bored days I have had in my entire life”

“Yeah, I’m kind of bored too. You wanna go out?”

“Can we?”

“Of course we can, we are not grounded or anything like that.”

“But we are sick.” The kid had stopped jumping and was now looking at his big cousin.

“Not anymore. I’m feeling alright, aren’t you?”

“Yes, but I don’t think Kevin is going to like it.”

“Why not? Is not like we are disobeying him or anything.”

“He told us to stay here.”

“He did not. He told us to try to rest and we already tried. I’m going out and when I come back I’m resting a little more.” Alexander gave the other boy a big grin while taking some clothes out of a drawer, and threw him a t-shirt.

“How do you do that?” Nick asked taking his pajamas off and getting dressed with the clothes that Alex had chosen.

“How do I do what?”

“You always manage to twist Kevin’s words and do whatever you want.”

“You will do it someday too, Nickolas. So, are you ready? You are coming, right?”

“Just a sec.” He finished putting on his shoes and ran behind Alex.

“Where are we going?” Nick asked some minutes later trying to keep his cousin’s pace at the corridor.

“Well I really don’t know, everybody is sick so is not like we can go to look for our friends.”

“How about some sport? B-ball?”

“No, I hate sports, except for pool. Do you think we should go to the officers club? I bet there’s no one there this early.”

“I don’t know how to play pool. I’m not even sure what’s that. And didn’t you already get in trouble once for going there?”

“Okay, we just keep walking and we will think about something.”

“Hey, how about…”

“Look out, someone’s coming.” Alex quickly pulled Nick out of the hall making him stand next to him, behind a column. Steps could be heard down the corridor.

“Why are we hiding?”

“Shhh!”

“Why?” Nick whispered at the same time a man in uniform walked in front of them forcing Alex to put a hand over the little kid’s mouth. He didn’t take his eyes off the soldier until the man walked out of sight.

“I don’t think grown ups want to see kids here Nick, we are too close to the military side and they are going to make us questions.” He said finally releasing Nick. “Did you notice?”

“What?”

“That was an S-fighter pilot. I heard some of them landed here a couple of days ago after a battle on Venus.”

“There are S-fighter ships here?” the little kid’s eyes were wide open.

“So I heard.” Alexander replied with a shrug.

“Cool! Those are some of the best and faster ships out there. Lets go to see them Alex.”

“Are you nuts? We can’t go to the west wing hangars, kids aren’t allowed there.”

“Nobody has to know we are there. Lets try, please. It will be fun; we can pretend we are in a special mission. You can be the Captain and I’ll be the Lieutenant.”

Alex rolled his eyes. “You are such a baby Nick.”

“Oh, and you are soooo mature” This time it was Nick the one rolling his eyes.

Alex laughed, he wouldn’t admit it but he had liked the idea of the game since the beginning. “Okay, I’ll play with you but only because I don’t want to hear you whining” he lied just to add in a strong voice “Lieutenant Nick, we need to reach our ship before the Empire spies find us. Follow Me.”

Nick saluted him and both kids hurried to the west hangars.

Once in there, they tried not to get noticed. There weren’t too many people around but they both knew they would be in big trouble if someone saw them in there and therefore tried to be extra careful ducking any other minute behind boxes, vehicles or anything they found in their way to the S-fighters.

“Wow! Look at that Alex, this is really an incredible ship.” Nick said coming close to one of the little S-fighters. “When I grow up I’m so going to be a pilot like Kevin.” He quickly climbed the ladder next to the ship. “Watch this.”

“Nick! Don’t touch that!” Alex almost yelled but it was already too late, Nick had pushed the right button and the cockpit was opening in front of him. The boy entered the ship and took a seat in the pilot’s chair, which made Alex climb fast the ladder trying to catch him.

“Kaos get out of the ship.” He ordered first, but once he reached the last step and looked at the interior of the fighter he remained silent for a moment. “Wow!” He exclaimed finally recovering his voice while still looking at everything in awe. “This thing is really amazing.”

“I told you so. Cool, right?”

“Yes, but get out, if someone sees you.”

“Someone’s coming.” Nick interrupted him and lowered himself into the chair in fear of being discovered. Alex thought first about climbing down the ladder but found himself not having other option and jumped into the ship too.

“Take the copilot seat, Captain.” Nick smirked.

No less than a second later the younger kid was making himself comfortable again after realizing that no one was looking at them.

“We are not playing anymore Nick. Let’s go out of here. And don’t touch that!”

Nick didn’t listen and, much to Alexander’s dismay, the shield got closed.

“Stop playing with this Kaos, you are going to get us in trouble.” Alex uttered. “Oh shit, there are more ships coming.” He pressed his face to the right window for a better look of the three combat ships that had just landed as of the pilots that were already descending into the hangar. “Hey, isn’t that Stuart? Great! Just what we needed, maybe that’s Kevin’s unit. If he see us here we are dead. What the heck!” He yelled turning around after feeling the sudden movement. “Nick what the hell are you doing? Stop this thing.”

“I’m trying” Nick was pushing every single button but people were already noticing the ship moving.

“We are going directly to the gate Nick.”

“At least is open.”

“Stop it now!”

“I don’t know how to do that.”

The older kid tried to help pulling up the first leaver he saw.

“No, Alex don’t touch that.”

The ship accelerated its movement going directly to the gate.

“Fast your seatbelt Nick” Alex yelled trying to buckle his own without taking his eyes off his cousin, checking if the kid was following his orders.

After fastening his belt Nick had gone back to the task of controlling the ship. Alex, fearing the taking off, gripped the armrests until his knuckles were white. Several soldiers were running behind them yelling all kinds of things and a second glance to the gate confirmed to the kids that it was about to get closed.

“Do something Nick.” Was the last thing Alex said before closing his eyes and, taking a deep breath, forcing his head into the seat. When he opened his eyes again they were already in outer space.

“XZ31 identify yourself.” A voice kept repeating through the communication system.

“I’m not answering that.” Alex was shaking his head and looking at Nick.

“Why are you looking at me? I’m not answering either.”

“Nick please tell me that you know how to fly this thing.”

“Well, I think I got it” he replied still holding the wheel. “It’s pretty similar to a gameboy, really.” Nick’s voice confirmed to Alex that, no matter the smile, the kid was about to cry. The fact that he was shaking while trying to control the wheel didn’t serve to calm the older boy’s already frayed nerves.

“We are so dead.”

“Don’t say that Alex.” There were already tears in Nick’s eyes. He had long ago understood the seriousness of the situation and just wanted to go back home.

“No Nick don’t cry, please.”

“I’m not crying” He said wiping the tears with his sleeve “but I’m scared.”

“XZ31 pilot identify yourself. You don’t have permission to fly. Return to the station immediately.”

“Oh God. Alex you have to answer.”

“What am I going to say?”

“Alex answer that!” It wasn’t until that moment that Alex became aware that his cousin wasn’t looking at him anymore, he was looking at something over his shoulder. He turned around slowly fearing the worst when he heard Nick’s trembling voice again “I think they are going to shoot us.”

Three fighter bombers were about to reach them.

“Please don’t fire” Alex panicked and turned on the microphone in a heartbeat to reply the base calls.

“Who is that answering? Identify yourself.”

“Alexander Littrell, Sir.”

“Give me your code and unit, soldier.”

Nick bit his lips and Alexander gulped. “I’m not part of a unit, sir.”

“Who are you? Turn on the video system.”

Not knowing what to do, Alexander looked at his little cousin again. Nick just shook his head and started to sob.

In the radar room everything was complete chaos.

“Who that hell is this person?”

General Simpson was in charge of the radar tower. The 53 year old man was not known for his good manners nor for his nice character. On the contrary, the gray haired, tall general was one of the most feared officers. Known for always yelling to his subalterns, and to anyone who got in his way for that matter, the man was a recognized war hero and the second- in-command in Philippians.

“I don’t have him in our soldiers’ data, sir.”

“Maybe he is a mechanic, Darin. Do I have to think for you?” He yelled at a young officer who looked completely terrified. “I want someone to explain me what the hell is happening. Look into every file from the station and find this Alexander Littrell.”

“We have a Kevin Littrell, sir.” Another officer talked from behind a computer. “I think he is his brother.”

“Now I know where I heard that name before.”

General Simpson turned on his communication line to the ship.

“Alexander, how old are you?”

There wasn’t a reply.

“Alexander, don’t be scared and answer me. How old are you son?”

“12.”

The man closed his eyes and sighed. “This is General Simpson talking, Alexander. I need you to explain me what are you doing in that ship.”

“It was an accident, sir”

Noticing the weakness and tremble in the voice, General Simpson opted for trying a different approach. He didn’t want the kid to break down since he needed him as calm as possible for a quick return to the base. When he spoke again all the people in the radar room got stunned hearing the man who they feared the most talking in such a nice manner for the first time.

“Alexander, I need you to calm down and do everything I say, okay?”

“Yes sir.”

“Don’t worry kid. We are going to help you to come back.” He made a pause before speaking again. “You said you were 12, right?”

“Yes sir.”

“I have a daughter your age kid. You probably know her from school, her name is Rebecca.”

“Ewww Becky Simpson.” General Simpson couldn’t see Nick wrinkling his nose nor could he see Alex hitting the little kid in reply, but no matter that he didn’t hear clearly what had been said he realized there was someone else in the ship and confirmed his suspicions hearing Alex murmured ‘Shut up you idiot!’.

“Is someone else there with you Alexander?”

“My little cousin sir. His Name is Nick, I mean Nickolas.”

A quick glance to the soldier in the computer next to him was enough for the last one to understand what the General wanted. He entered the data in the computer and spoke up.

“Nickolas Littrell, 9 years old, sir.”

The General shook his head and let out a heavy breath.

“Okay son. Can you see those ships next to you?”

“The bomber fighters? Yes, they are surrounding us.”

“Those ships are going to bring the S-fighter back, so I want you to cooperate, okay? I need to do some things but I’ll be back in a second.”

“Yes sir.” Came Alexander’s reply before the General cut out the communication.

“Someone call his parents,” he addressed to no one in particular walking up and down the room.

“The data shows that he has no parents, General,” a soldier answered. “But Kevin Littrell is his guardian, he is on unit 3. Someone is already informing him what’s happening and I sent a cadet to look for the rest of the family in their room.”

“The rest of the family. That would be…?”

“His other brothers.”

“Children?” The General voice’s hovered in the air and in no time he was in front of the soldier who had just talked. The red haired man got paled and looked like he was about to pass out.

“You sent someone to bring children here?”

That same minute Brian stomped into the radar room followed by a very young cadet. They both stopped dead once they noticed everyone looking at them and the cadet blushed in the presence of the General, ashamed of the fact that he had been caught running after the kid.

The General shook his head and directed his attention to Brian.

“Who are you?”

“Brian Littrell, sir”

“Are you Alexander’s brother.”

“Yes, no, I mean, well, I am…” Brian stuttered. “I’m his cousin sir.”

“Oh, I see, come here son.” He said making him a sign and turning the communication line on again while walking to the front part of the room and standing in front of the big window.

“Alexander, do you copy me kid?”

“Yes sir.”

“Listen to me Alexander, we are going to help you to come back to the station. We will need you to turn off the ship’s gravity control and the bomber fighters will tow you. There’s nothing to worry about. Do you understand?”

“Yes sir.”

“Now there’s someone here who would like to talk to you but I want you to do something. Do you see that big screen at your right, there’s a yellow little lever there, pull that up and I will be able to see you…”

The minute the General stopped talking Brian realized that he had turned the communication off on purpose. He saw the General take a couple of steps forward until practically touching the large window in front of them, and decided to follow him trying to see his face. When he did it he understood that something was going wrong.

“What the hell!” The General finally spoke up turning around. “Why are the bombers leaving?”

The question made Brian’s heart skipped a beat.

“There are four enemy ships coming to them, sir.”

General Simpson probably noticed what Brian was experiencing because he put a hand on his shoulder. “Don’t worry son, they are going to be okay.”

“Sir” came Alexander’s voice through the communication system. “Why are the bombers leaving us?”

“Alex, you need to stay calm. We are sending more ships right now but you are approaching an enemy field.”

“What?”

“Alex I’m scared” A little kid’s crying voice could be heard.

“Nick” Brian whispered and a tear ran down his face but noticing the General was looking at him he quickly wiped it with the back of his hand. General Simpson made a gesture to one officer who tried to take Brian out of the room.

“Please General, let me stay here. I swear I won’t bother you. You won’t even notice I’m here. Please sir, those are my brothers out there.”

“How old are you son?” The General asked looking directly into Brian’s eyes.

“I’m about to turn 15 sir.”

“Okay” He finally agreed after a little pause. “But I would prefer you to take a seat on the other side of the room.”

Brian nodded and let the officer who had tried to take him out guided him to another part of the room, passing the control tower computers.

“Nothing is going to happen Alexander.” The Colonel returned his attention to the main monitors and the large window and kept trying to calm Alex from time to time. “We are going to bring you back to the station soon.”

“Send another group to fighters there. I want three ships backing up our bombers and two more to bring the kids back now!”

“Unit 3 is leaving right now.”

“Unit 3? Are you sending that boy’s brother there? Who gave that order?”

“I don’t know sir, Colonel Gallaher I guess.”

“You guess? What the hell is happening here. You group of incompetent idiots. You don’t send family to missions like this.”

No one replied, the room was in complete silence. Brian, who after noticing that no one was paying attention to him anymore had been pacing the room trying to study the situation and looking at the computers over the flight control engineers’ shoulders, took suddenly a seat in one corner and had to close his eyes. He could swear he had just heard his little brother crying and the distant sound of an explosion.


----
Copyright ©2005
All Rights Reserved
No part of this story may be copied or reprinted without the author's permission.