- Text Size +

The first two months in Trinsuet went by pretty fast to everyone but me. No matter how much I tried I never got to feel comfortable in the Rebel’s Headquarters. Part of me knew that a different place wouldn’t make too much of a difference but that didn’t stop me for hating Trinsuet. I tried to hide how I was feeling but the stress caused by it only brought me lots of fights with my brothers.

The one who experienced more changes during those two months in Trinsuet was Nick. He turned 16 being a lanky, shy kid but with the months he had not only gained some weight and grew up a couple of inches more, but acquired more self confidence too. His powers developed the most during those two months too. Now Nick was able to been active while astral projecting himself. One day I was making myself something to eat in the kitchen and I noticed someone was standing behind me, when I turned around I saw Nick grinning at me, but the next thing I knew, he slapped me. It wasn’t a real slap but a soft one, but either way it got me mad. I was about to reply with a punch when he disappeared. I freaked out for a minute until I heard laugh coming from his room. We learnt that day how much his powers had grown and he learnt never to put them in practice with me, since I blew up the door of his room to get inside and gave him the punch he deserved - yes, my powers were improving a little too. And we both learnt that the ‘no playing with our powers law’ was still in force when we heard Kevin yell at us that night.

After that first meeting with the high-ranking officers that we all had that second day on the base, we decided we would not only be working with them from now on, but making full use of our powers to fight the Empire. D and Kevin directly joined the air force going back to their pilots jobs and accepting the offered promotions. Brian, Nick and I, on the other hand, became some kind of soldiers in training. We still would not be considered part of the rebel force but more like some kind of external aid. That meant, among other things, that we wouldn’t be wearing a uniform nor wouldn’t be having a rank. I realized since the beginning that our situation would have its pros and cons, we wouldn’t start as privates, receiving orders from everybody, but we couldn’t give orders to anyone either. As for our specific jobs, and taking into account our powers, the three of us were designated to different areas. It was agreed that Brian and I would became members of different units in the infantry corps while Nick would be helping the espionage team. Yes, ‘little Nicky’ was an spy now. He was completely ecstatic about the news and couldn’t believe that Kevin had agreed to let him work all by himself, considering that none of us would be on his team. Kevin told us that he trusted him and that made the kid even more happier. His new job became the reason for the first of our fights too, since I had to go and tease the kid.

“I can’t believe you are letting Kaos here work alone for that unit.”

“Shut up AJ!”

“Why should I? A couple of months ago Kevin didn’t want you to carry a gun and suddenly you are a spy. Give me a break!”

That little dialogue was followed by Nick punching me on the face and me returning the favor with a punch to his stomach. Kevin separated us, and since he threatened us to punch ‘our lights out’ we ended the fight there, but it would be just the first to a lot more to come.

The main reason for my moodiness was probably my recent solitude. Brian and I were the only ones that used to stay in Trinsuet for long periods. Howie and Kevin were always in some mission or battle and Nick would be leaving the base any other day too, although he really didn’t go all by himself since usually either Kevin or Howie were part of the team in charge of transporting his unit.

And then, there was also the fact that Brian was spending more time with Dana so in reality I couldn’t count with him either, like I had in the past, to do something fun during our free time. The other guys had made a lot of new friends too – in Kev’s and Howie’s cases reencountered old ones – while I had only two real friends in Trinsuet, one was Rual who was also a member of the land forces, and the other one was Louis, a soldier with whom I became friends not for the right reasons. He was a great guy though, but due to his job in the base he was always busy.

Since there weren’t any signs of a new land battle on the horizon, Brian and I had a lot of free time after training so when I couldn’t go to the only place I would go looking for some sort of distraction, I was usually the one getting ‘home’ first and would just wait there for the rest of the guys, taking a nap on the couch. I was there sleeping one afternoon when the door got opened and Kevin entered dragging Nick in a vice like grip on the scruff of his neck.

“What the hell were you doing there, Nick?” he asked after releasing him from his lock. Nick almost stumbled forward but recovered fast before falling and just walked away from Kevin. “And don’t tell me that you got lost again because I think you can come up with something better. How you get lost and end up with a drink in your hand?”

A drink? Oh this is going to be hilarious. Good thing I have first row seats.

“Come on Kev” Nick whined.

“Come on Kev? Come on Kev? That’s all you are going to say?” He was beyond mad.

“I was having fun with some friends.”

“I told you I didn’t want you going there. You are 16 Nickolas.”

“I know my age, asshole” Nick muttered under his breath.

“What was that?” Kevin’s voice tensed with anger. He had taken two big steps and was now in front of Nick looking down at him threatening.

“Nothing.”

“If you are going to say something say it to my face.”

“Are you going to tell me that you didn’t spend time in one of those Philippians’ bars when you were my age?”

“When I was your age I was also in charge of 4 kids. Do you wanna try that too?”

Nick shook his head and sighed.

“It was just a beer Kevin.” His voice was softer now.

“Don’t you get that is not even that kid.” Kevin lowered his voice too.

“It isn’t?”

“No. I mean…Ugh.” You could tell he was trying really hard to be patient with Nick. “I don’t think you are old enough to drink but if it's curiosity what you are experiencing then you can come to me, little man. If you wanted to know what beer tastes like you could have tell me. I have some beer here and...”

“Yeah, right.” Nick interrupted him. “I’m drinking with you. Yippee! How fun!” he said sarcastically moving his index finger in circles.

“Don’t be such an idiot, kid. I’m not talking about drinking with you. And you just proved my point. ‘It was just a beer Kevin’.” He mimicked Nick’s voice and used his fingers to make quotation marks in the air. “You aren’t curious. You just want to have fun doing something that isn’t appropriate for your age. You think I’m gonna let you go to have a drink in a place where everybody is carrying a gun. When YOU are carrying a gun. You are already too hardheaded without drinking liquor.”

“I can’t get drunk with just one beer.”

“Damn, are you listening to me? I don’t want you there, PERIOD. I don’t care if you are drinking plain water or lemonade. There are others drinking there. It's not a place for a kid.”

“I’m not a kid.”

“Are you sure? Because sometimes you act like a 6 year old.”

“Damn Kevin, all you want is to be the boss.”

“I’m already the boss, KID.”

He stressed out the last word and I smiled because hearing them fighting was bringing back so many memories. It seemed like they hadn’t even noticed I was there and it was like watching a little clip of my life, only that Nick was playing my part. I had been in Nick’s shoes so many times. Living in Philippians I made an art of slipping into the officer’s club, the first one when I was just 9 years old.


~ × ~ × ~ × ~ × ~ × ~ × ~× ~ × ~ × ~


Nine year old Alexander was on his knees hidden behind a couple of boxes next to the bar counter of the officers club. Someone had left the door open and he had decided to take a look inside to find out more about the place that had been arousing his curiosity for weeks.

“Alex.” A voice like thunder made the kid jump. “What the heck are you doing here?” Kevin demanded.

Swallowing hard the boy looked up not saying a single word. He had been caught and nothing would save him from a punishment. When he finally spoke up his reply was barely audible.

“I was just looking.”

“Get up.” Kevin ordered and the little kid obeyed immediately. Once he was standing up he nervously shifted his weight from one foot to the other while playing all the time with the end of his shirt.

“Don’t you know that you are not supposed to be here?”

The child didn’t reply.

“Alex?” Kevin scowled, taking the boy’s chin forcing attendance. “I asked you a question. You know you aren’t supposed to be here, right?”

The little boy nodded.

“Littrell!” someone called and Kevin turned around for a second.

“Coming” he yelled before turning his attention back to his cousin.

“I think we need to have a talk when I get back home tonight.”

AJ looked up in fright.

“Now go directly to your room kid. Do I make myself clear?”


~ × ~ × ~ × ~ × ~ × ~ × ~× ~ × ~ × ~


“Do I make myself clear Nick?”

Man he still uses the same lines. I started to laugh and they both looked at me for the first time since they entered the room.

“What the hell are you laughing at?” Nick asked.

“Nothing.” I tried to stop but I couldn’t. The fact that they were staring at me wasn’t making it easier.

“Get out AJ.” Kevin pointed his thumb at the door.

“I was here first” I grinned.

“Out!”

Once in the corridor I started laughing again. Man I certainly didn’t notice before how much I miss Philippians.


~ × ~ × ~ × ~ × ~ × ~ × ~× ~ × ~ × ~


14 year old Alex entered the officer’s club and walked casually towards the bar smiling to the man who was looking at him from the other side of the counter, where he was cleaning some glasses.

“Not you again AJ,” the bartender complained. “You will get me in trouble.”

“Come on Carl. You know people here won’t even notice me and if someone asks I’ll tell that I’m looking for my father or something.”

“You are just a kid, Alex.”

“It's not like I’m drinking Carl.”

“Of course not. I won’t ever give you a drink kid.”

“Then what’s the problem? I just want to play some pool.”

“What about Kevin, AJ? He always finds out.”

“He won’t come here Carl. He is too busy having a meeting with some Officers.”

“Are you sure? There are people from his unit here.” The man pointed to one of the pool tables where Stuart and Jimmy were playing.

“Great. I found someone to play.” AJ grinned again to the big man before turning around and heading towards the table.

“If someone finds you here I will say I didn’t see you come in.” Carl hissed before going back to his work.

“Hello gentlemen.” AJ greeted the older boys. “What you think about a third player joining you for this game?”

“AJ, what are you doing here?” Jimmy asked while Stuart looked up and smiled without stopping the game. “Ball 3, left corner pocket” he called striking the white ball with the tip of his cue. After the designated ball entered the pocket he walked to the other side of the table and stood up next to Jimmy. “Man, you Littrells are so stubborn. Kevin had kicked your ass more than once for coming to this place kid.”

“He won’t find out this time. I made sure he was busy, so everything’s okay.”

“Lets see if you say the same thing tomorrow and if you are still able to sit down after he kicks your ass again.”

“Ha Ha. Not funny.” Alex made a face to Stuart. “So, are you letting me play or you are too scared because you know I can beat you?”

Stuart threw him a cue, which Alex caught in the air. “You are too cocky for your own good kid.”

“And you are dead.” Jimmy added.

“In your dreams Jimmy. I’m soooo winning this game.”

“I’m not talking about the game kid. Turn around.”

“Man that was fast.” Stuart laughed.

AJ closed his eyes. “You are kidding me, right?” He asked opening them, already noticing that someone was standing behind him. The other two boys shook their heads and AJ let out a sigh.

“I’m dead.” He whined, turning around.

Kevin stood there with his arms crossed over his chest and his feet spread apart. Before saying a word he gave AJ what Nick referred to as “Kevin’s look”.

“What the hell are you doing here?” he groaned.

“I… I was…” Alex stuttered nervously scratching his neck. After a minute of silence and under Kevin’s withering glare he opted for a different defense and smiled broadly before speaking again. “Hello Kevin. How are you? You look tired, want me to go to the bar and bring you a drink. I’ll do it.” AJ was already walking to the bar but Kevin took him by the arm.

“Don’t you dare” he warned him gritting his teeth. “So?” he asked him but AJ looked around like Kevin wasn’t addressing to him.

“I told you would end up in trouble, kid” Stuart laughed again.

“Shut up idiot! He said then abruptly turned to face his brother, his voice more subdued “So, how about that drink?”

“I made you a question, Alexander.”

“You did? What was it? I don’t remember.”

Kevin closed his eyes and took a deep breath trying to calm himself. He ran a hand through his hair while still grabbing AJ with the other one.

“I asked you what are you doing here?” His voice held exasperation.

“Oh that. It was homework, yes, homework that’s it. Miss Reagan told us to do a research about an old sport practiced on Earth and I chose pool.”

Amusement flickered in Kevin’s eyes but he commanded his emerging smile to retreat. It was too difficult for him to lecture Alex since the kid would always come up with a funny excuse every time he got caught misbehaving. Remembering himself that he needed to teach the boy a lesson he pulled a wry face and continued.

“Thought you could came up with something better. Now turn around and get your butt back to you room.”

“Okay. But you will have to tell Miss Reagan why didn’t I finish my homework.”

“Get out AJ! And I better not catch you again inside this place.”

AJ stormed off the bar. Once in the corridor he left out a deep breath thinking that he had somehow escaped punishment. He felt lucky, by the time Kevin would get back to their room he would definitely be much more calm. Not losing anymore time AJ started to walk in direction to the boys room. He hadn’t given more than four steps when he heard the command.

“Freeze!” Kevin yelled walking to him.

Alex turned around. “I was going to my room like you told me.”

“I have a very busy day ahead Alex. By the time I get home you will be sleeping and I’m leaving early tomorrow for a recognition flight so I better tell you this now.”

“Recognition flight? Does that mean you are going to battle again?”

“Don’t change the subject.”

AJ chewed his lip, his focus on the door of the club from where soldiers keep coming in and out.

“Look at me” Kevin ordered. When the kid did it, the older boy was glaring at him.

“This is the last time you will do something like this.” Kevin began. “You better start straighten up your act kid. For now you are grounded. I’m telling Howie what happened here today, so he can keep an eye on you while I’m away.”

“Grounded?” The teen complained.

“Yes. Grounded. And that’s final!” Kevin fumed.


~ × ~ × ~ × ~ × ~ × ~ × ~× ~ × ~ × ~


“And that’s final!”

I could hear Kevin still yelling inside the room and I laughed even more. Yes, still the same old lines. I felt good for the first time in weeks. It had nothing to do with the fact that Nick had gotten in trouble - although watching the kid suffer Kevin’s wrath was always amusing - but with all the memories that had came to my head during the last minutes. I stopped laughing but kept smiling. I fixed my eyes on the door one last time before walking away without suspecting that it would be the last time I would be laughing for a long time.



----
Copyright ©2004
All Rights Reserved
No part of this story may be copied or reprinted without the author's permission.