- Text Size +

Three or four hours later we left the bar and Jeff walked with me to our ship. I had a good time with Jeff. He told me about his life in Leviticus, the little space station where he grew up, near Colossians. The bar was full of Grises but there were a couple of Sargons too and even one or two humans which for some reason were the ones who made me feel uncomfortable.

I only had a couple of drinks because I wasn’t looking for trouble with Kevin or Howie and I knew they probably already were wondering where I was, but I was in a very good mood. Jeff had told me some good jokes. I was starting to think that he and Brian would get along well.

When we approached the ship I noticed Kevin standing by the gate.

“Shit!”

“What?” Jeff asked me.

“I was supposed to be helping with some reparations of the ship. I don’t think Kevin is too happy.”

“So, that’s your cousin the lieutenant” he said following my gaze “Do you want me to help you with an alibi? We can say that you were somewhere else.”

Yeah, that would help IF I could lie to my brothers. “No, don’t worry. I have to go though. I will see you some other time.”

“Okay. Take care.”

“You too. Bye” I said walking fast to the ship.

“Who’s that guy?” Kevin asked me when I was about to enter into our spacecraft.

“A friend.”

“A friend?”

“Yes Kev. Not everybody is our enemy.”

“I didn’t say that.”

“Yeah right!” I said rolling my eyes and starting to leave but Kevin got me by the arm.

“I’m getting tired of this, Alex.”

“What?”

“I’m warning you. Lose the attitude”

“What the hell are you talking about?”

“First, don’t swear.” I rolled my eyes again. “And second, I’m talking about that. You rolling your eyes and making a face after everything I say. I’m still in charge here, AJ and I want you to show more respect.”

I just looked him deep in the eyes until he loosed the grip.

“Can I go inside now? No wait, MAY I go inside now?” Man, sometimes I’m such a jerk. Now he is tightening his grip again.

“Have you been drinking?” he said wrinkling his nose.

Ooops!

“Well, I…”

“You know what, save your breath, I really don’t care” he said finally releasing me. “I’m too tired to deal with your shit. It seems that no matter what I say, you are going to do whatever you want.” Okay, that’s not true…well, not always.

He went inside. Now, that’s something I wasn’t expecting.

“Damn!” I said entering my room and lying down in my bed.

“Hey. Do you plan to make more noise? I’m trying to read here.” Rok said from behind a book.

“Sorry, is just that Kevin is getting on my nerves.”

“Why? Did he say anything to you for disappearing all day?” he asked me. “ Or was it all night?” he added looking at his watch. I guess I’m not the only one that can’t get used to a planet that doesn’t have any natural light.

“Kinda. Since we are in this planet he got this “boss” attitude that I hate. We used to have a democracy here. I know he is the captain and the oldest but he never had to remind me that. Now he is all “look at me, I’m Kevin the almighty” and I hate it.”

Brian laughed.

“That’s other thing I don’t like about this planet.”

“Huh?”

“You don’t laugh like you used to. Before we arrived here you were always making jokes and laughing. Now you are so serious. You look just like Kevin and Howie. I’m starting to think you know something too.”

“Come on!” he said placing the book aside.

“Why not? It wouldn’t be the first time. You knew about our powers way before they told me. You knew when we were in Philippians. Kevin waited all those years until we left that place to release my powers.”

“Can you imagine the problems you would have caused if you have gotten your powers back then?” he said laughing again.

“I don’t think that’s funny. Are you sure you don’t know anything?”

“Bone, you are seeing things.”

“Yes, that too.”

“Huh? Okay, now you are just confusing me.”

“I was in town today. I kept having this strange feeling every time I saw these humans, like I knew them.”

“What you mean?”

“Brian, do you think there’s a chance that we could find people like us here?”

“I don’t think so. I mean, there’s a chance of finding others like us somewhere. After all our families were not the only Alomegas back on Earth and there’s a big chance there are more out there in the Universe. But if they were here I’m sure we would already knew it.”

I didn’t answer.

“What exactly did you feel?”

“I’m not sure. Maybe I’m imagining things.”

“Just try to relax yourself Bone. I’m not used to see you in that mood. Usually is Nick the one fighting with Kevin all the time, not you. You and Kev used to get along pretty well and…

There was a knock at the door and Howie showed his face.

“May I come in?”

“Of course D. What’s it?” I said

“Brian, aren't you in charge of the kitchen this week?” he asked Brian giving him a little tap on the leg.

“I was but I changed turns with Frack.”

“Well, I’m not gonna eat whatever it is that Frack is cooking. He’s making a disaster there.”

“Okay, I’m going.” he said putting up his hands.

After he left the room Howie approached to me.

“I think you owe me a conversation” he said taking a seat at the foot of my bed.

“I owe you a conversation?”

“You avoided all my questions the other day. I would like some answers now.”

I just looked at him.

“Who was that guy with you today?”

“Let me guess. Kevin sent you?”

He gave me a look that could be compared to Kevin’s look.

“Jeez AJ, you think of me only as the second in command? A co-pilot that do whatever the pilot tells him to do? Good to know that’s the image you have of me.”

“I’m sorry.” I said realizing my mistake.

“No, Kevin didn’t send me. I was outside working on the some of the panels when you came back. To tell you the truth I haven’t even spoken to Kevin. He left a couple of minutes after you came back.”

I bit my lip. “I’m sorry.”

“I know, you already said that.” He sighed “I’m just worried, okay.”

Sweet D. He was always worried. When we were kids on Earth Howie was my hero. That was before Kevin became a parent figure, at the time when Kevin was just an annoying big brother who was always making fun of Brian and me, never letting us play with he and his friends. Howie was the only one of his friends that would take our side and ask Kevin to let us take part in the games. He spent so much time at home that even then he was like a brother to us. Uncle Howard was uncle Ryan’s best friend and you could always find aunt Claire and aunt Ally together. Of course when they let me know about the powers and all the history of the Alomegas, I realized why they were at home all the time. People like us form families and tend to stay together.

“Alex?” Howie was waiving his hand in front of my face. “Where are you?”

“Sorry.” See, still worrying about me. He’s still my hero.

“You keep saying sorry,” he laughed.

“I was just remembering when we were kids.”

“Brian told me that you have been thinking a lot about that.”

“Yes. I am having dreams about my mother all the time.”

“That’s good. I dream about mine too.”

We remained in silence for a moment.

“Are you going to tell me who was that guy?”

I sighed.

“Okay D. His name is Jeff and he’s the one who saved me from the Sargons the other day.”

“So, we were right, those injures were the work of Sargons.”

“Aha.”

“What happened?”

“I just opened my big mouth when I wasn’t supposed to do it. I was in this bar…”

“Bar?”

I played with the fabric of my jacket as I always did when I was nervous. “I met this Gris girl and we were chatting, nothing serious. But there were three Sargons and I made a joke about them. They heard me and the next minute I was running like mad with three Sargons chasing me.”

“And this Jeff guy helped you?”

“Yes.”

“Do you know what he is doing here?”

“He was looking for a job in the mines but they didn’t hire him. Haven’t you seen him there? You and Train are working there, right?”

“We…” D had never been too good for lying. “No, we haven’t seen him there. But then you don’t believe me, do you?”

“Huh?” Okay, he isn’t good lying but he is the best realizing what I am thinking. As I always say, he can read me like a book.

“You keep trying to find out what Kevin and I are doing all mornings.”

“And you are not going to tell me.”

“We WILL tell you.”

“You will?” I almost shouted.

“We are going to tell you. Just not right now. There’s a time for everything Aje.” he said winking.

“Very funny. Yes, a time for everything. Like you guys telling me and Nicky about our powers just some years ago.”

“Jay, we are not going back to that conversation. You know that we couldn’t afford the risk of people in the base knowing that we were different. There were already too much prejudices and fears among humans. And you and Nick were just kids. Moreover, you know it wasn’t our decision only. Our parents were the ones who bound our powers when we were born. They released Kevin's powers and mine just a couple of weeks before we left Earth and they taught Kevin how to bind and release Brian’s, Nicks and yours.”

“Yes, but you released Brian powers when we were at Philippians.”

“AJ…”

“I know, I know, Brian is older and wiser” I said making quotation marks with my fingers “Yeah right!” I added rolling my eyes. “He is just three years older than me, D. And have you seen him when he is with Nick? They both act like they were the same age.”

As they were taking a cue Frick and Frack entered the room.

“Gentlemen!” Brian said imitating a funny accent. “Your favorite chefs Frick & Frack have elaborated some exquisite dishes that are waiting for you in the kitchen.”

“Oh la la!” Nick added and they both burst out laughing.

We laughed too and I was about to follow them out of the room but Howie stopped me.

“I think we need to talk a little more.”

“Howie. I’m okay, really. I think I was just having a bad week and being stubborn. Maybe I’ve been spending too much time with Nick.” I smiled “I promise that I will come to you if I have a problem.”

“Sure?”

“Sure, D.”

He put his hand on my shoulder and we both left the room.


-----------------------------------

“I can’t believe what I’m going to say but this thing really tastes good.” I admitted eating another fork of the stew Frick and Frack had made.

“Of course it tastes good.” Brian said grinning. “You know we are the best.”

“And we are not only good chefs. We have something else for you,” Nick added placing something on the table. I found myself looking at five little silver devices, no much bigger than buttons.”

“What are those?” Howie asked.

“Communication devices,” Brian said putting on the table other five things that look like tiny hearing aids. “You can use them with or without these, depending on you wanting more or less privacy.”

“Cool!” I said taking one of the communicators. “Wow, these are tiny. And much better than the ones I’ve seen in town. Definitely better than the ones used by the human army. Remember yours Howie? It was huge, and it was always a pain trying to put it in your pocket or in you utility belt. ”

“Of course these are better, we are the best engineers in the universe” they both said making some kind of secret handshake. They looked ridiculous.

“I can’t believe you’ve done these.” Howie finally spoke up. “We really need them.”

“Of course we need them, especially now that you don’t want us using our powers. We assumed that prohibition included our telepathy and decided to make these.” Brian replied.

“Even if we could use our powers Alex would be needing one of these.” Nick exclaimed laughing. I tried to smack him on the head but he hid away behind Brian.

“Jerk!” I said but laughed too. I was already used to them always making fun of me because it seemed that I would never be able to control that particular power.



“Telepathy or not” Howie stated “these are amazing.”

“What’s amazing?” Kevin asked entering the room and taking a seat in front of me at the table. I felt a little uncomfortable, even more when he gave me a smile. Have YOU been drinking?

“Look what Rok and Nick have done.” Howie responded.

“Wow, guys, these look incredible.” Kev commented taking one of the communicators.

“Yes, but do they work?” I said laughing.

“Of course they work AJ.” Nicky defied “You know everything we do work perfectly well.”

“They certainly are a great help. I was looking for some of these at town and they are expensive.” Kev said putting one in the pocket of his jacket.

“You could use it as a pin too.” Brian offered showing him how.

“You are gonna love our next work then.” Nick expressed enthusiastically.

“What is it?”

“A droid.”

“A droid?” we all exclaimed.

“Aren’t droids parts expensive?” I asked.

“Yes, but we are not working with new spare parts. This will be the first droid made from old spare parts that will eventually function as a new one.” Nicky said sounding very proud of himself.

“Well, good luck with that. I for once wish I could be as good repairing things as you are guys.”

“Just wish to be a little better, Howie, and that will be enough.” Brian smiled “You and AJ have blown out half of the things you’ve tried to repair.”

“That’s not true.” I’m not that bad. Am I?

“Of course it’s true.”

“What are you eating?” Kevin interrupted Nicky before he started to make fun of my mechanical abilities as always. “It smells delicious. Man I’m starving.”

“Liquor does that to you.” Ooops. Did I said that out loud?

“What?”

Ha ha, he didn’t hear me, but the rest of the guys did since they all are looking at me.

“I said that you look pretty relaxed. Why are you so happy?”

“Nothing special. Just took a walk and it made me feel good. Exercise does that to me.” he replied paying attention to the plate Brian placed in front of him.

“So, what’s this?” he asked eating a forkful of the orange stew.

“Secret recipe.” Rok smirked.

“That’s Frick and Fracks for 'we have no idea, we just put some ingredients together and this came out'” I grinned and everybody laughed.

We ate the rest of our dinner pretty quiet. Either we were all starving or Brian and Nick had actually learnt how to cook.

After eating, everyone except Kevin and I went to perform chores. I waited for him to tell me something but after an uncomfortable silence I thought he was just going to ignore me and decided to help Howie with the panels.

“Alex” he called me when I was about to leave the room. Why you always have to wait for me to stand up before saying something?

“Yeah?” I replied sounding a little too harsh.

“Can we talk for a minute?”

Talk? Really? Aren’t you just going to yell at me again?

“Of course” I said rolling my eyes and taking a seat again.

“I think I owe you an apology.”

“Huh?” Okay if I open my eyes any wider they are going to pop out and drop to the floor.

“Close your mouth, Alex. Yes, I AM apologizing. I was too rude this afternoon.”

“You were too rude? I was the one who was too...” I hate to have to use this word but I guess it’s the truth. “disrespectful.”

“Maybe. But then that thing I said about not wanting to deal with you anymore.”

Deal with my shit, those were your exact words, Kev.

“It’s okay, Kev, really.”

“I think we both have been acting like jerks lately.”

“No, I was the jerk. You were a pain in my ass.” I said laughing.

“What I mean is that we have always been able to talk, Jay. You have always be very mature for your age, except from time to time when you decide to do something really stupid” he laughed “I really hate to fight with you Alex.”

“I’ve not been acting very mature lately, have I?”

“Not really.”

“I’m sorry.”

“I know that you feel we are keeping too much things away from you but I promise you will get to know everything. You just have to wait and trust me.”

“I know Kev, really,” I whispered and for the first time in days I remembered how good it was to be able to talk to him. Kevin was still the man I admired the most.

“And if you have a problem accepting anything just talk with me. We can talk AJ. No matter how much I keep saying I’m going to kill you, you know I wouldn’t do that.” He winked and I smiled and nodded. “But just because Howie and Brian wouldn’t leave me in peace if I kill you, although Nicky would probably thank me.” He joked and we both laughed like we had not done it in a long time.

----
Copyright ©2004
All Rights Reserved
No part of this story may be copied or reprinted without the author's permission.