- Text Size +
Chapter 10 – A Birthday Kiss

Oriana felt utterly jumpy as she rushed down to her basement, struggling to swallow the swell of emotions surfacing from deep within her. She hurriedly pushed on her Evanescence CD, cranking the sound to vibrate off the thick basement walls. She then stepped toward the punch bag, rotating her wrists to loosen the muscles. She jumped for a few seconds to warm her body, immediately starting to pummel her frustrations against the thick sand bag. She just couldn't imagine her mother deciding to get married to a man they barely knew. They had only been dating a few weeks! Her mother’s marriage announcement just seemed like the ultimate death sentence to Oriana. Kevin would change just like the others once he held everyone’s affections deep within his sweaty palm. Then he would swallow her whole while keeping her mother under a veil of secrecy, the screams buried beneath threats of death. Not to mention that his hellish child would be forever fixed in her house, threatening every step she made.

Oriana grunted as she forced down the ball of sickness forming in the pit of her hollow stomach, focusing on the words of her powerful music. "Blurring and stirring the truth and the lies / So I don't know what's real and what's not / Always confusing the thoughts in my head / So I can't trust myself anymore / I'm dying again."

Teagan rushed down the stairs, already knowing that Oriana was working out her punching bag without even stepping into the room. Oriana had always been a creature of habit when it came to absorbing her emotions, so Teagan could always predict the reactions. And Teagan understood why her best friend would be upset about Brian, but couldn't comprehend why she was against Cassandra getting married. Kevin was the nicest boyfriend out of the many in the past, and thought he would make a great father.

"Duckie! Duckie, stop!" she tried to yell against the music.

'What the Hell was I thinking... I should have known she'd bring another leech... Just took a matter of time to find another sleeze-ball! Another notch in the belt... Another broken door... Another rape...'

Oriana let bitter tears fall down her cheeks as she slammed her right hand heavily into the punching bag, feeling something burn within her forearm. She didn't care, though as she continued to repeat the furious blows.

"Whoa! Duckie, stop!" Teagan shouted as she saw Oriana's arm turn red and swell. She ran over and stopped the music so they could finally hear themselves think. Teagan’s ears started to ring at the abrupt change in noise levels, but didn’t let it phase her.

Oriana prepared to throw yet another hearty punch with her right arm, but Teagan managed to catch it before she could cause further damage. Oriana grunted in surprise as Teagan pushed her backward, causing them to topple over the couch. Oriana tumbled from the couch to the carpet, shooting a surprised glare to Teagan. "What the Hell... Did you just call me Duckie?"

"It's the only nickname that would get your attention," Teagan shrugged, gently grasping Oriana's flaming arm. "You could have done a lot of damage if you kept punching the bag like that."

"Like I would give a royal shit," Oriana snorted, moving to push herself off the floor. But, the sharp twinge of pain raced up the length of her tender arm, causing her to shrink back.

"Mm-hmm, right. Now say that again and I'll believe you," Teagan retorted, standing up. "Just sit there, I'll get the ice pack."

"Some freaking birthday," Oriana grumbled pathetically, staring down at her tender arm. She pressed one finger into her skin, noticing the subtle swelling against the flamed red coloring. She winced at the pain, mustering to smile faintly as Teagan offered her the ice pack. She eagerly placed it against her arm, sighing with relief.

"I know the whole Brian thing was a huge blow... but honestly, Duckie. Kevin's a great guy, way better than any of the other assholes Ma has dated. Alex seems like he would be a cool step-brother. Just don't worry about Brian, I'll take care of him. Just because you're better than him at football doesn't mean he can degrade you like that," Teagan replied, frowning at the memory of his words towards Oriana.

"He's the Brian from William's that you like, isn't he?" Oriana questioned flatly, her blue-green eyes flicking upward to catch the depths of her best friend's rare blue-gray eyes. She wrinkled her blonde brows in confusion, already knowing the answer.

"Yes. But if he's going to treat you like that, I'm not going to see him anymore," Teagan replied, looking down to make sure the ice pack was on the most swollen portion of Oriana's arm.

"Do you love him?" Oriana countered again.

"Duckie, last time I thought I loved someone I was almost killed. I don't know if I love Brian--"

"You know if you love Brian," Oriana opposed, her blue-green eyes burning with truth. She knew her best friend far too well to believe that far-fetched story. Teagan made quick and accurate judgments about everyone within an hour of meeting them. She also always had a way of giving her heart utterly and completely within the first kiss. It was within a kiss that Teagan knew if it were meant to be or not. "So? Do you love him?"

Teagan sighed heavily, their eyes meeting again. "The truth? Yes, I do love him."

Oriana nodded with understanding, swallowing the lump forming in her throat. Yet again, she would have to compromise for one that she loved dearly. She would never be the one to stand in front of Teagan's happiness. If Teagan felt there was a chance of love between her and Brian, Oriana would step aside. Teagan deserved love and a man that would cherish her. "Then you need to be with him."

"But he was so cruel to you—"

"I'm not standing in between something that's obviously special to you. No way in Hell am I getting pinned for that psychiatrist bill! Just, go. I'm fine."

"You're more special to me than any guy out there. We've been best friends since we were babies!" Teagan objected.

"Oh please," Oriana snorted, waving off Teagan’s statement. "There is no way in Hell that you're going to want to live with me when we're old and gray. Sitting in our recliners, shitting in our diapers like the old days? No way. Just go and talk to your lover boy. I'm fine, okay?”

"Oriana Ryan--"

"Teagan Gabrielle. Just go. I'm fine, my arm's fine. Everything's fine."

"But---"

"We're always going to be best friends," Oriana stressed softly, reading the question in her older friend's eyes. She gingerly pushed herself up from the carpet, holding her good hand out to Teagan. "I love you to death, Gabb-a-rino. No way in Hell some stupid guy is going to come between us. I just want you to have every opportunity to find someone that you love. And, if you love him, then you need to be with him. I've got tons of football buddies to hang out with. I just want to gather my thoughts. Okay?"

"Okay," Teagan finally agreed, taking Oriana's hand into hers and they started the secret handshake they had made up so long ago. "We've still got it."

"And we always will," Oriana promised. "Just go get your lover boy before I have to kick his ass again."

"Alright, I'm going. We don't need any more injuries than we have," Teagan replied with a smile, kissing Oriana's cheek before heading upstairs.

*~*~*


"Is...uh...Oriana down there?" Howie fumbled when he caught Teagan at the top of the stairs. He shifted uncomfortably as he held the purple gift bag tightly to his side, moving to make sure he caught Teagan’s undivided attention. His eyes flickered with nervousness as his hands began to feel clammy. He shifted hold of the bag to wipe his hands against the back of his khaki cargo shorts. He was almost praying for Teagan to give him a reason not to go downstairs.

"Yeah, why?" Teagan laughed with amusement, already sensing Howie’s anxiety.

"I thought that since her birthday was going crappy that I... I was going to give her my gifts," Howie felt his tongue tumble over the words he had planned.

"Well, she could definitely use you, Howie," Teagan replied with a wry smile, moving her eyes up and down the length of the handsome boy. He wore a simple light blue muscle tank with a pair of khaki cargo shorts to accentuate the powerful muscles hiding beneath the folds of clothing. His short brown curls cropped just to the point where they could fall into his eyes for a messy, sexy look. He was known to be the most popular man within Tartan High School. All the girls ogled him daily; yet, he seemed to be more interested in Oriana.

"Really? She won't pile-drive me or anything?"

"Nah, she won't pile-drive boys that she thinks are cute," Teagan answered with her infamous giggle. "Besides, she could really use some cheering up. You should do the trick."

"Are you sure—"

"Just get your fine Latin booty down there!" Teagan gently pushed him down towards the basement.

Howie yelped softly as he stumbled part way down the stairs. He listened to Teagan giggle again with amusement before shutting the basement door, leaving him alone to his thoughts. Howie gulped, praying that Oriana hadn't heard the embarrassing commotion. He mustered some kind of cool exterior; continuing further down the stairs as the music grew louder. Oriana obviously considered herself to be alone again and was taking time to gather her thoughts. Howie was slightly thankful that no one could interrupt them again. The near-miss kiss had stayed permanently etched into his soul. He had been so close.

He reached the basement in record time, observing Oriana lying pensively on the couch, just staring up at her decorated ceiling filled with her favorite lyrics. She softly tapped the beat of her song against her exposed firm stomach. He couldn't deny the true beauty lying amongst the soft coloring of the navy blue couch. Her light blue, string bikini seemed to hug to all the right curves, accenting the creamy tan coloring of her sweet skin. Her damp honey blonde curls were fanned out around her head like a golden halo. He wanted her so much.

"Oriana?" Howie squeaked.

"Howie!" Oriana yelped at the nervous twitch in his voice. She launched herself off the couch, feeling her heart hammer quickly against her chest. Her hands began to tremble with nervousness as she folded them behind her back, trying so hard to act nonchalant.

"Hi. Listen, if this is a bad time, I can leave--"

"No, it's not a bad time... I just... I didn't expect you here..." she flustered.

"I thought that since things didn't go so well, that you would be kinda down... I promised you kick ass presents, and brought them down to give them to you," he replied, holding up the bag almost like a peace offering.

Oriana fell silent for several moments, just eyeing him with shock. She brought her tender hand up to wipe away the tears that were already starting to form. No guy had actually offered such a sweet gesture without wanting something in return. Yet, she knew that Howie would never push to advance without her say. He had the greatest reputation around Tartan for respecting women. It just meant so much to her, just to have him offer something to make her feel better. "Howie... Wow..."

"Surprised?"

"A little..." she admitted with a small, nervous laugh. She wrapped her arms around her bare waist, trying to stop the shivers racing down her body. Being in such close contact with him started to send her hormones into overload. She had no clue how to stop it or even if she wanted it to end. "Just, you didn't have to get me anything, Howie. I was just joking around. I mean, it's really nice, but you didn't have to... I didn't want that... You know, we're friends, you didn't have to..."

“Just stop rambling, open the presents, and say thank you," Howie replied with a chuckle, holding out the purple bag towards her.

"But, Howie—"

"No buts."

"Okay..." she drawled softly, motioning toward the couch. She walked over to plop down, folding her long, tan legs beneath her. She balanced her tender arm against her flexed thigh, noticing Howie still standing. "Are you going to sit down?"

"Oh! Yeah, sorry," he walked over and sat down next to her. "Happy birthday, even if it doesn't seem too happy."

"It's getting better," she answered coyly as Howie offered her the purple birthday bag. She brought it to sit between them for a minute. She then smiled sweetly as she gently pulled back the tissue paper, reaching for the first item.

"Good, I'm glad," he smiled.

Oriana carefully unfolded the soft t-shirt, holding it out for examination. Her unique blue-green eyes sparked with excitement when she realized it was a t-shirt from Meatloaf's Bat Out of Hell Album - her favorite album. She gasped softly in surprise, immediately holding it to the length of her body. "Holy shit! I love Meatloaf so much!"

"So I've heard," Howie chuckled at her excitement. "Do you like it?"

"Like it? I love it! Thank you!"

"Teag mentioned that you might be doing a little air guitar on your bed with it on?"

"Can we say, Hell yeah!" Oriana enthused, carefully pulling it over her lithe body. She stood up for a moment to pull the length of the shirt down to the curve of her hips. She did a little goofy spin. "How's it look?"

"Looks perfect," Howie approved with a smile. "But don't get too excited, there's more."

"More?" Oriana questioned, stopping for a moment.

"Yep, more."

"Howie, this is all I need—"

"Now, now, now. What did I say earlier? Stop rambling, open your presents."

Oriana swallowed another protest, settling back down onto the couch. She reached into the bag to withdraw the second gift, carefully peeling the coordinating lavender wrapping away from the square item. Her eyes grew wide yet again as she revealed a small book of love poems and love quotes. "Howie..."

"I know you like reading poetry, so... I thought this was the perfect gift. If you don't like it, I can—"

"No!" she objected quickly, horrified that he would so quickly decide to take something so lovely away. No one had taken the time to find her a book of poetry before. "It obviously means a great deal to you for me to have it. I couldn’t imagine parting with it. I want to keep it... I was just surprised, that's all."

"Oh," he felt his cheeks blush. "Alright, I just didn't want to go and get you a present you didn't like, that's all. But you do want to keep it?"

"Of course, did you take the time to make an inscription?" she teased lightly, preparing to open to the first blank pages of the precious book.

"I made sure to make one. But I want you to wait until later tonight to read it," he replied with a smile, taking the book out of her hands, knowing it would drive her crazy. Special things had been written within the book and Howie wanted her to wait until she had privacy. He wanted her to take time to absorb everything that took so long to write.

"Why later?" she immediately pouted.

"Because I said so?" he answered with his own pout. "You still have one more present."

"But I'm really interested in what you wrote," she complained, starting to reach over Howie's shoulder to retrieve the book. She softly inhaled the faint scent of his intoxicating cologne. She felt her body shiver.

"Ah, ah. Not now," he gently smacked her hand. "Your last present, please."

"One more?"

"One more."

"This is way too much," she groaned as he pushed the bag toward her.

"Nothing's too much for you."

Oriana was going to object again, but Howie raised his dark eyebrows with question. She sighed softly and swallowed her remark, simply pulling out the last box. She peeled back the layers of paper, revealing the perfect photograph inside the small box. She held it up for viewing, her eyes slowly realizing what was before her. The sleek light purple surfboard she had been dying to own. The one she had been slaving over at her mother's doctor's office. And, as beautiful as it was just by itself, Oriana couldn't help but notice the intricate detailing of a fairy and her full name blazing amongst the fairy's patch of roses. "Wait... This board is..."

"That board is yours, now. They're going to call me when it's ready, and maybe we could both pick it up then," Howie replied, knowing he really tugged on her heartstrings with the surfboard.

"You're serious?" she whispered in complete awe, her eyes transfixed upon the surfboard.

"Totally serious."

"For me? You did this for me? You had this detailing done for me?" she continued, still obviously shocked by the news. She had been so cruel to him that day in the senior parking lot, shattering his heart into the tiniest of pieces. Yet, he turned to offer her such thoughtful gifts that obviously took many days to think of. The prices didn't matter, because she knew he had spent many hours agonizing on something heartfelt.

"All of it for you and only you," he agreed, smiling. "Has your birthday gotten better now?"

"Are you kidding? This is so fantastic! Thank you so much, Howie! This means the world to me. I just... I can't believe after I... Just, thank you! Thank you so much!" Oriana breathed happily, finally reaching over to embrace Howie. She could feel his heart immediately pound its own message against her own, stirring a deep set of emotions.

"You're very welcome. Anything to see you smile and make you happy, I'll do it," Howie replied, holding her close to him. He didn't ever want to let go.

"I should probably hit you for spending so much... But, it's just so fantastic. I mean, I absolutely love the gifts. You're the greatest," she continued to enthuse, keeping her arms poised lightly around his neck.

"I try," he chuckled.

"It means a lot to me, Howie... This is probably the best birthday present I've ever gotten in like forever... And I'm not talking about the gifts, even though they're terrific... I'm talking about the way you made sure that I was okay... No one but Gabby has really done that before... Thank you," she praised, finally pulling away from his grasp. Her body seemed to light with a deep fire as she moved to place the picture of the surfboard back in its box. She could wait to show Teagan.

"You're welcome," he replied again, smiling.
Oriana let a silence overcome them, noticing the book still lingering behind Howie's back. She knew something special lay within its pages. So, she could hardly keep her curious mind away from it. With a mischievous nature, she scooted closer to Howie. "So, enjoying the party?"

"Yeah, it's been fun," he replied with a raised eyebrow. "But don't even think about it. I said you can't read the book until later tonight."

"Who said I was even looking to get the book? Maybe I just wanted to sit closer to you?" she drawled, arching her light brows in return.

"Maybe you wanted to, but I can see the look in your eyes. You're curious about what I wrote."

"What look?" she deadpanned with an innocent glimmer.

"That fake innocent look. I can see the curiosity in there, along with mischievousness."

"I think you've gotten me all wrong, Mr. Dorough. In fact, I was just hoping to kiss your cheek," she answered sweetly, shrugging her bare shoulders.

"Mm-hmm. Well, this cheek is free to kiss."

"I think the other cheek is more appropriate for a kiss," she persuaded, noticing that the book lay within his right hand.

"How so?"

"Because the left side is just so trivial. When you read the Bible, it always speaks of the right hand of God, the right angel's wing, or... well...yeah, maybe not the right angel's wing, but still the right hand of God! So, it's like a beautiful thing to give a thank you kiss on the right cheek," she struggled.

"Why does that sound like a lot of B.S. to me?" he asked.

"Please, Howie?"

"Alright, the right cheek it is."

Oriana grinned excitedly as she leaned over his right side to deliver the kiss. Yet, she made the mistake of offering it close to his jaw line, causing a sharp shiver to radiate down his body. She let her hand slip down the length of his arm, securing the book. She gently pulled it free in hopes to run, but Howie was too quick. He grabbed her quickly by the waist, pinning her to the couch with her body squirming beneath his grasp. "Howie!"

"I knew you were going to do that. Surprised?" Howie chuckled

"No fair!" Oriana pouted, pushing on his shoulder.

"You're just mad because I beat you."

"No..." she drawled softly, taking a sharp breath of air so her chest rose to brush against his own. A thick bolt of electricity traced through her entire body as she grew somber. She gently nibbled on her bottom lip, concentrating on the subtle outlines of Howie's sweet lips.

"No?" he asked curiously, watching her bite her soft lip.

"No..." she repeated faintly, her chest yet again brushing against his own with the faint inhale.

"No..." he agreed, leaning down to gently capture their lips in a kiss.

Oriana instantly raised her head to commence the heated kiss. She felt her entire body flame as her hands tangled within the mess of his dark unruly curls. Her heart hammered intensely against her ribcage, feeling dizzy with excitement. No thoughts seemed to cross through her mind, just accepting the fact that she was utterly involved and wanting that enthusiastic kiss.

The kiss continued to intensify in the deepest ways, until Oriana's mind cleared of the radiating hormones. She remembered the fear and humiliation she suffered with the other boys of Tartan. She instantly pulled away from the kiss, roughly squirming away from his grasp. She gasped with a pant, bringing a hand to stop her heart from bursting from its place in her chest. "What... What the Hell... What was that?"

"Um... a kiss?" Howie asked, biting his own lip. He was afraid that it was something she didn't want, and now their friendship was ruined.

Oriana pulled further away from his body, immediately launching herself into a standing position. She instantly started to tug on the portions of her bikini, assuring everything was still intact. Her breath seemed to be forever caught in the depths of her lungs. Her hands trembled with fury as shivers of delight raced down her spine. She absentmindedly placed her trembling fingertips against her burning lips. Her swirling blue-green eyes still haunted and shocked by their cross over the boundary of friendship. "I know what it was... I mean... Well, yeah, it was a kiss. A kiss between... between us... I mean... Well... Why?"

"Because it felt like the right thing to do?" Howie replied, his voice filled with question and worry. "I'm sorry if it was something you didn't want. I've just been wanting to do it for so long, I--"

"No!" she abruptly interrupted with horror, causing Howie to jump slightly. She felt almost like her brain had melted into a puddle of jelly just from the sweet taste of Howie's lips. Never in her life had she struggled to form such lousy sentences. "It's not that I didn't want it... I mean... I liked--no--ah---it felt nice---well... You wanted to do that for so long?"

"Since we met back in freshmen year," he agreed with a nod. He watched her cheeks flush a deep crimson, and took that as a good sign. "It felt nice?"

"No!" she groaned, instantly running her hands nervously through her thick, damp, golden locks. She noticed Howie stand with question, carefully stepping toward her. Her heart fluttered, so she took a step back. "I didn't mean it like that. I mean, well... No–ah–yes–maybe?"

"Now it's a maybe?" he asked, pouting.

"You're making me nervous," she answered with a hard swallow, refusing to give him any knowledge to her previous thoughts. Her stomach tightened, watching him step toward her yet again.

"Why am I making you nervous?"

"Because... You're just making me nervous," she repeated, finally backing into the nearby wall. She stifled a small whimper as he took a final step forward to corner her. It was the boldest move she had ever seen him initiate. She inhaled a sharp breath, causing her chest to rise against his.

"And you don't think you make me nervous?" he replied with a chuckle. He reached out and tucked a lose piece of curls behind her ear before cupping her blushing cheek.

"Somehow, I doubt that," she wheezed softly.

"Oh, really?" he took her hand and placed it over his chest, where his heart was beating rapidly.

"I don't want to touch that!" she scorned with a nervous yelp, immediately yanking her hand away a rush of fire licked through her body. Just being so close to him was driving her insane. To feel the heavy beat of his heart only seemed to thrill her more. To make her want him more.

"You make it sound like I'm forcing you to touch something gross," he answered, his eyes showing hurt and confusion.

"It's your sweaty...muscular...chest..." Oriana closed her eyes as she felt a deeper blush settle against her burning cheeks. "That's not what I meant---"

Her words were silenced with his lips softening against hers once more. He pushed her back into the wall, threading their fingers together.

Oriana immediately crumbled under the kiss, allowing Howie to take complete control. Her entire body quaked with excited shivers, enjoying the rushing heat overflowing her body like a crashing wave. She hurriedly untangled her one hand; slowly raising it to meet Howie's cheek, but a loud holler from upstairs caught her entire. She groaned openly into his mouth, immediately pushing him back. "We... We can't do this."

"We can't?" Howie whispered.

"No..." she retorted softly, noticing the hurt flashing within the depths of his beautiful brown eyes. She furiously shook her head, finally settling her hand against his cheek. "That's not what I mean... I just... I have guests... And this is so fast..."

"You want to just take this slow?"

"I think you just proved there's no way that we can take this slow..."

"I want to be with you, Oriana. I'll go as slow as you need to, if that means we can be together."

Oriana rubbed her throbbing temples as her team continued to yell for her. They were obviously raring to celebrate her birthday. Yet, she longed to be down in the basement with Howie. But, if she stayed down in the basement, she would have no control over her actions. Everything was just rushing too hard and too fast. She needed to think, to admire, to contemplate. "I have guests, Howie... I mean, can we talk about this later? Like, tonight?"

"You still want me to stay tonight?"

"If you don't want to--"

"I do! Believe me, I do. Just go up and meet up with the team. We'll talk later."

"You sure?" she hesitated, ducking away from his overpowering embrace.

"Positive."

"And we'll talk later?"

"We'll talk later. Scout's Honor."

"ORI! GET YOUR BIKINI ASS UP HERE!"

"HOLD YOUR HAIRY ASS UP, GABE!" Oriana taunted up the stairs, hesitating for just another moment. She offered a shy smile, tugging on a curled strand of her golden hair. "Thanks, Howie."

"You're welcome, Oriana. I'll see you later," Howie replied, giving her a handsome smile.

"Yeah...later..." she concluded, immediately rushing up the stairs. Howie waited a few moments, before gathering up her gifts to send them upstairs. A crooked smile planted on his face, noticing that she was talking aloud as she ascended. "I am about the biggest goofball on the face of this planet. I must have sounded like such a complete dope! We need to talk later Howie? I mean, holy shit, what was I thinking? Like, damn, that was the best freaking kiss... Wait... Why can I hear my voice? Am I...?"

"Talking out loud? Yes, you are," a voice said from her right.

"I am such a loser!" Oriana groaned again, rubbing her temples. She continued up the stairs for just a minute, speaking to herself yet again. "That kiss definitely got to me. Or maybe it was his eyes. God, they're so gorgeous. And his body... But that kiss... I mean, my heart just jumped to my chest. My stomach knotted... And I wanted to just stay there...for...ever..." Oriana's eyes grew wide as she turned toward the voice, "Damnit! I'm doing it again, aren't I?!"

"Yeah, you are. Already smitten for Howie?" the voice chuckled, and she saw it was Alex.

"If he heard that..." Oriana felt her throat swiftly close as Howie peeked his head up the stairs. Oriana's eyes went wide with pure mortification, immediately rushing up the stairs. "Oh freaking, fracking, fricking, son of a monkey's hairy ass caught with a flaming hemorrhoid!"

"Nice... I think. If I knew what the Hell that meant," Alex replied with confusion.