- Text Size +
Chapter 20 – A Speeding Relationship

"Speed much?" Howie yelped as he stumbled from his car as he hurriedly parked it beside Oriana's massive Hummer. He couldn’t believe the speeds that Oriana traveled just to reach a football practice. She had been quick down the streets, hurrying to reach practice in time. Yet, Howie was surprised to see her taking her time to climb out of her car. She had been in such a rush to get to the field, now she seemed to be completely uninterested in joining the group.

"I always speed," she answered with an impish grin, reaching into her trunk to pull out her duffle bag. She stuffed her jersey into the pocket, heaving it into her shoulders, deciding she could gear up with the team. No one else ever dressed before arriving. "I just don't get caught."

"One of these days, it'll bite you in the ass," Howie shook his head, laughing as they headed to the field.

"No, you miss the finer points of my speeding tactics... I just flash my boobs to the officer, pucker my bottom lip, and drive away ticket-free... And if he's cute, maybe a number to reach him," she teased, affectionately stepping into Howie's side, hoping he would take the hint to wrap his arm around her. "Nothing like a man in uniform."

"What about a band uniform?" he asked with a grin, placing an arm around her thin waist.

"With those goofy feathers?" she mocked, wrinkling her nose with distaste. "Nah, I'm talking about a man in uniform. Like a dark button shirt, semi-tight dress pants, powerful tools around his waist... including handcuffs... Mmm!"

"Thanks for the idea, Baby. I'll definitely have to remember that one..." he trailed off.

"What's that supposed to mean?" she drawled with a curious nature, noticing the group of football players standing with question at the unknown figure.

"Nothing--"

"Cherry Bomb! That doesn't look like Mac to me!" Ace, the captain and quarterback, hollered from his position amongst the cheerleaders and football players. He looked none too pleased as he folded his arms briskly across his puffed chest, offering a critical glare toward Howie with his steely blue eyes.

"Mac's at Duke, Dumbass," Oriana groaned, feeling Howie immediately pull away from her side. "Besides, I found someone a hell'uva a lot better."

"A hell'uva lot better? This dude's a fucking band geek!" Ace exclaimed with a roll of his eyes. "How can that be better than a football player like Mac?"

"Because he doesn't have sticky hands in the backseat of a car after a Homecoming Dance," Oriana defended, stepping toward Ace as the others recoiled. She seemed quite bold as she tightly gripped the face of Ace's helmet, yanking him down to her level. "So, stop acting like an asshole and be nice. Alright? I like him, a lot."

"But he's a--"

"Ace, I fucking mean it."

"Cherry--"

"Why are you not taking me seriously? Do I look like I'm fucking joking around?" she stated bluntly, causing Ace's eyes to flick downward to scale her body. She rolled her eyes. "They're boobs, Ace, and have nothing to do with this conversation. So, be nice and greet Howie like you would greet Mac or I'll let William’s tear your ass down next time we're on the field."

"Alright, alright. Just let go of my helmet," he grunted, pulling away from her.

"Be nice," she commanded yet again, releasing his helmet. Ace stumbled backward from her powerful grip, causing the others to chuckle, but they soon lost their smiles when Ace glared. They nervously cleared their throats as Ace stumbled off to speak with his girlfriend. Most knew that Oriana would obey Ace’s every words. That’s why for a long time Oriana was declared off limits because of Ace asserting Mac’s territory. But, now that she had actually spoken out again Ace for a sly moment, the boys seemed preoccupied with the slightest worry, glancing toward Howie, wondering if he was the cause of Oriana’s assertiveness.

Oriana didn't seem to mind as she grabbed Luke by the hands, tugging them toward Howie. "Guys, not really sure if you've met, but I'm intro'ing anyway... Howie this is my best friend, Lucas. Luke, this is my...well...my potential boyfriend, Howie."

"Potential boyfriend, huh? That has to be a first. She must really like you, Howie. But it is nice to meet you," Luke quickly added, shaking Howie's hand with a sincere smile.

"Has to be a first for using the words a potential boyfriend or just having a boyfriend in general?" Howie pondered, slightly hurt that Oriana hadn't just announced him as her 'boyfriend.' He didn't know what she meant by 'potential.'

"Boyfriend in general. Not many guys can keep up with her like we can, but we all think of her as one of the guys, so it wouldn't work right. Man, I hope that makes sense..." Luke trailed off, looking confused for a moment.

"You think of her as a little sister?" Howie tried, noticing Oriana scowl playfully.

"Little sister, little brother--"

"Yeah, that's enough, Lukie," Oriana cooed sourly, clamping her hand against the man's mouth. Luke muttered something incoherent before licking her hand. Oriana groaned, immediately moving to wipe it down his shirt.

"Can't really see her as a little sister or little brother when Luke's the one running his hands all over her body during dance... Says it helps improve his football, but I think he's just trying to score a little Cherry Pop," another boy teased, stepping forward. He eagerly offered his hand from raking a mess of blond curls behind his ears. "Name's Gabe."

"Howie. Nice to meet you," Howie replied with a smile as Luke and Oriana attacked Gabe for a moment.

"It's the truth! It's the truth! Must I bring up Moulin Rouge?! Hands all over her ass and tits! Dude, you guys were a thong and bra away from doing the horizontal mambo!" Gabe squealed as Luke and Oriana tackled him down to the floor for torture.

"Man, I really need to see what happened on that dance..." Howie shook his head, laughing as a couple more guys walked up to him.

"Name's Lou. This is Grady, John, and Angel. Not that you'll really remember. We'll all be a blur on Monday. But it's really nice to meet you. Can't believe you're the one that actually tamed our Cherry-Bomb. What's your secret?" Lou asked with interest, watching Oriana take the upper hand to attack Gabe as he continued to shout obscenities about Moulin Rouge.

"I don't really have a secret," Howie shrugged helplessly. "I'm only being myself, and I like her a lot, so--"

"Like her a lot? Oh, please," Ace snarled from behind the group of boys, obviously not paying attention to whatever the head cheerleader was rattling about.

"Excuse me?" Howie asked, looking over at Ace.

"Are we back in sixth grade?" Ace countered without fault, glancing to see Luke and Oriana continuing to wrestle around with Gabe on the field. Knowing Oriana wouldn't strike, he quickly stepped toward Howie. The other boys naturally stepped back, keeping their space from the captain. "C'mon, this shit is ridiculous. What would a football player want with a geeky band member? Is it about the sex? The word around the block? Because, dude, she wouldn't be caught dead humping your ass. And, please. Dude, Mac's got his eyes set on Oriana. So, just back off and let a college man handle the Cherry-Bomb."

"Last time I checked, it was Oriana's choice of who she wants to date. Not you or anyone else. And what does it matter if I'm in band? You know, you're the only person I've heard to insult people who are not in sports at school. But Oriana's best friend Teagan is in band. Does that make her a geeky band member? Just lay off and let Oriana choose. It's her business," Howie replied, making distance between him and Ace. He would be damned if someone as domineering and arrogant as Ace would ruin his chances with the girl he has loved for so long.

"You son of a bitch---"

"Let's just start practice, how 'bout it?!" Lou interrupted, immediately moving to step between Ace's stocky nature and Howie's aggressive state. He hurriedly pushed Ace back into a group of boys, hurriedly whistling sharply to Oriana, Gabe, and Luke. They paused from their antics, breaking into peace resolutions, and slowly climbed from the field. Lou glanced back to Howie. "You staying for the practice, man?"

"Yeah, that's the plan..." Howie looked over at Ace, who was ranting to other members and ordering them around. "What the Hell is that guy's problem?"

"Ace? Ah, he's just got a stick up his ass the majority of the time," Lou answered with a shrug as Oriana approached. He affectionately wrapped his arms around Oriana's form, affectionately kissing her cheek. "Why don't you go get your lover boy settled in the girlfriend waiting area and get some clothes on that body of yours!"

Oriana yelped as he affectionately swatted her behind before moving to calm Ace. Oriana smiled as Luke swiftly kissed her cheek and moved to do the same. Oriana then smiled to Howie before overhearing Ace's foul mouth. She cringed. "He didn't say anything pompous, did he?"

"You mean what comes out of his mouth isn't always pompous?"

"Um..." Oriana shifted with an innocent shrug of her shoulders. "I'd say his bark is worse than his bite, but that's completely ass-backwards. He's like a rattlesnake... You just try not to get the full bite of his venom."

"Why aren't you the captain anyway? You'd treat everyone a Hell of a lot better than he does," Howie replied, frowning openly as Oriana led him to the bleachers. "He also seems determined that you're going to be with Mac and not a band geek like me."

"Because somehow I think it was hard enough just weaseling myself into the team..." she trailed. She never really thought about becoming the Captain, but Howie's last statement caught her off guard. She stopped halfway to the bleachers, causing him to turn. "What do you mean determined about Mac? I don't even like Mac..."

"Ace seems to think different. Says you wouldn't be caught dead being with me and you deserve a college man," Howie bit his lip, subconsciously worrying if that was what she really wanted.

"Ace only thinks different because he's best friends with Mac... And Mac is possessive..." Oriana furiously shook her head as she hurriedly pulled her curls into a ponytail. She glanced down to see the boys stretching, knowing she had time since she was limber from dance. "It's not a big deal---"

"It's not a big deal that Ace thinks you deserve a college guy? Or it's not a big deal that Mac's possessive? Or---"

"Howie, what's the matter?" Oriana interrupted in shock, immediately reaching out to grasp Howie's warm cheeks. She hurriedly searched his cold brown eyes for some hint, but he was so furious.

"This is a big deal, Oriana! I love you, and I know you know that. But you don't seem to think it's nothing important if Ace thinks like he does and that Mac is possessive. I mean, look at it from my perspective. My girlfriend plays football with a guy who thinks I'm not good enough for her and she has a huge college football player out there who is possessive over her and she's not taking it seriously."

"Do you watch Dawson's Creek regularly?" Oriana asked with a blank look, causing Howie to release a deep growl. She jumped slightly, offering a small pout. "I'm sorry, Howie. But, it doesn't matter what Ace thinks of you. Howie, I like you. It's not Ace's choice. Okay? And I think you're good enough for me. Doesn't that count for something?"

"Yes... but why did you introduce me as potential boyfriend?" Howie muttered, looking down at his feet.

"Huh?" Oriana trailed with thought, her eyes suddenly lighting with remembrance. "What's wrong with that?"

"I didn't know I was just a potential boyfriend."

"I didn't know why I said it, Howie. It just kind of...popped out," Oriana tried to explain, shrugging her bare shoulders. She almost thought that she was taking over the boyfriend role rather than the girlfriend role. She offered a small smile, leaning to place an affectionate kiss on his cheek. "Sweetheart, you didn't even ask me to be your girlfriend after Teagan gave you permission to date me. And then we were talking about you putting in an application for the boyfriend title with full benefits... And we haven't even been on a first date yet... And, why aren't you smiling?"

"Ace had no damn right to act like he had control over you--"

"He's just a jackass, Howie. Please, don't worry about it."

”But--"

"I like you a lot?" Oriana replied with a innocent chime to her voice. She playfully batted her lashes, letting her blue-green eyes shimmer with approval.

"Really?"

"Really," she leaned in and gently kissed his lips.

"Mmmm," Howie murmured softly against her lips, gently bringing his hands to cup her cheeks.

"Yeah..." she laughed, quickly pulling away before all the boys could hoot and holler. She laced her fingers with his, tugging him back to the bleachers. "So, let's go get you seated with the cheerleaders!"

"Baby, they're all ditzy and they'll drive me nuts!" Howie objected.

"Ella's nice..." Oriana answered with the click of her tongue, searching the bleachers. She smiled with amusement when she noted two girls sitting at the top of the bleachers. "Okay, I have another section that'll be perfect for you. But, once they find out you're looking to fill out the boyfriend application, you'll get a pink girlfriend support t-shirt."

"PINK? Why does it have to be pink?" Howie whined as they reached the bottom of the bleachers.

"Because it's cheerleaders. I mean, hello, do you honestly think I want my name anywhere NEAR that color?" Oriana shivered, yanking Howie up the stairs.

"So either way, I'll be stuck with pink?"

"You'll basically get two t-shirts, yeah."

"Two shirts?"

"One from the pink freaks and another from Ella and Dee in the color you want."

"Ella and Dee?"

"Yeah, Ella and Dee," Oriana answered with a short laugh, motioning to the girls waving to two boys on the field. They instinctively looked up and stood to give Oriana huge squeezes for hugs. Oriana affectionately kissed their cheeks, motioning toward the tall brunette and the fiery redhead. "The beautiful brunette is Ella. She's Jace's girlfriend and a member of the cheerleading team. The redhead is Dee and she belongs to Luke. Guys, this is Howie and looking to fill out the boyfriend application in the Cherry-Bomb department."

"Wait, did I hear right? Someone is applying for that department and you're letting them? I think I've seen it all!" Ella gasped, placing a hand to her heart.

"I said I'd consider the application with an interview. He just needs to set up the dates," Oriana laughed, gently pushing on the fair girl's shoulder. She really enjoyed her time with Ella and Dee.

"You're Howie Dorough, right? First trumpet in Concert Band," Dee replied with a knowing smile. "I saw you perform at Solo and Ensemble just last week. You did the best rendition of 'Oye Como Va' that I've ever heard."

"Well, thanks. I thought I was a little off..." Howie trailed, blushing faintly. He shoved his hands into the front pockets of his jeans, feeling suddenly self-conscious. Just the idea of having Oriana's friends observing him for approval gave him palpitations.

"No way, you were on key the whole time," Dee shook her head, patting Howie's arm. "Obviously the judge's didn't think you were--"

"You know the results already?"

"My dad was the judge on the left," she chuckled at the look on his face.

"What'd he say?" Howie asked, wide-eyed.

"He was really impressed. Most trumpeters couldn't hit all the notes like you did, especially that high F. They all agreed that you deserve... are you sure you want to know?"

"Look, I know we just met... But, please?!"
Dee had to laugh, a soft smile on her face. "They gave you a Superior."

"Is that like an MVP?" Oriana asked blankly, not really knowing where the conversation was headed. She felt out of place, because she really didn't play anything within the bands in school. She dabbled on the piano and a little acoustic guitar at home, but she found most of her passion singing at home.

"Basically, yeah. It's the highest rank you can get at Solo and Ensemble. There's Fair, Good, Excellent and Superior," Dee exclaimed as Howie whooped in delight, wrapping his arms around Oriana and spinning in a tight circle. "Only the best of the best get what Howie did."

"Congrats, Howie!" Oriana enthused, laughing in surprise as Howie continued to spin her in a tight circle. She felt a little dizzy as he finally allowed the tips of her feet to grace the bleachers. She affectionately reached up to give him a congratulations kiss. "I'm glad you did so well. You must be really proud!"

"I've been working so hard!" Howie agreed, kissing her again.

"Well, it definitely shows since you got that Superior. I'm proud of you," she laughed, loving how his eyes twinkled with a smoldering amusement of joy. He had a right to be proud of his accomplishments. "Your parents are going to hit the roof. They'll probably take you out for dinner and everything tonight!"

"Either that or Mama will do the whole big dinner of Irish and Puerto Rican food again. Oooh, I hope she'll do that," he enthused, feeling his stomach grumble. He was about to continue when the guys began yelling for Oriana. "I think it's time for your practice, Baby."

Oriana glanced back at the hordes of boys, begging for her to join. It was obvious they wanted her to step in as Quarterback for their scrimmage. She noticed Luke hurriedly talking amongst the players of his team before signaling that she had to hurry. Oriana grinned with delight, knowing that Luke loved trying out her outrageous plays. She glanced back to Howie. "You don't have to worry about staying for practice or anything. You should get home to tell your family the great news. And I'll catch you Tuesday or something."

"No, we want to get to know Howie better!" Ella and Dee objected.

"I want to stay and watch you anyway," Howie replied with a smile.

"Besides..." Ella clicked her tongue as she offered a roguish smile. "I think Howie was just about to ask you out on a date for tonight. Figure you two part ways after practice, go home, clean up, and he takes you out for that sneaky little interview which just so happens to be Cherry's way of saying 'date.' Besides, he should be celebrating his fantastic accomplishment with his girlfriend, right, Howie?"

"Right. You read my mind, Ella," he replied, shooting her a look of sincere thanks. "How about it, Ori?"

"A date?" she questioned.

"A date."

"Us? Where are we going to go?" she asked blankly, slightly amused by the idea. Most of the guys that asked her out on dates just wanted to get her into the backseats of her car or head to their homes to fumble around computers, phones, or whatever their bidding was. But, she knew Howie was different. He was sincere.

"What if I told you that was a surprise?"

"I'd say it better be a good surprise if I'm actually consenting on going on a date."

"It'll be a good surprise, I promise. You'll love it."

"Alright, pick me up around an hour and a half after practice?" Oriana offered, holding her hand out to strike the deal.

"I'll be there," Howie agreed, taking her hand and pulling her into his arms for a kiss. "I like making deals with you this way."

"Well you can't be making deals with me like that till you ask me to be your girlfriend," she chided with an impish smile, wagging her finger at him.

"Yes, yes, I know. I'm waiting for the perfect moment to ask," he replied, blushing.

"Then don't kiss me, Mr. Dorough. That's just a blatant disregard of my human rights," she quoted, acting like a true philosopher.

"I thought you liked my kisses."

"I do, but a boyfriend can only give a girlfriend kisses... But a girl however, especially a female football player, well, she can offer kisses freely," she teased, stepping into his embrace for a heated kiss.

"Mmmm..." he moaned for what seemed like the thousandth time since he met up with her at the dance studio.

"ORIANA! WE'RE GOING TO MAKE YOU WEAR ACE'S JOCK-STRAP IF YOU DON'T GET YOUR ASS DOWN HERE!" the boys finally threatened.

With Oriana's perfect moment ruined, she withdrew from Howie embrace. She offered a sweet smile before leaning down to whisper into the girls' ears. They exchanged giggles as she gazed back to Howie. "There's no way in Hell I'm wearing that filthy thing, so I'll check you later, Dorough."

"See you later," Howie replied, waving as Oriana ran down to the field.

"She bought her own jock-strap once... Wore it outside of her uniform with an athletic cup and declared herself football man at one of the practices... She's such a riot," Ella laughed as Oriana pitched herself gracefully over the bleachers before hopping onto Luke's back to hear the plays.

"Definitely one in a million," Howie agreed. The team began to form a line of scrimmage, Oriana making Luke take her over to the Quarterback position.

"And she likes you a lot," Dee commented after a few moments, laughing softly as Oriana pretended to smack Luke's behind like a whip. He jumped playfully, pretending to pout as she shouted out the proper codes for the play. Dee loved Luke so much and understood the unique bond he formed with Oriana. And if Dee would reject Oriana, then she would be rejecting a portion of Luke.

"I'm really glad. I don't know what I would do if she didn't like me," Howie admitted, shaking his head in awe as the ball was snapped and Oriana threw a perfect spiral to Gabe, who ran and got a first down.

"Date another Christina Hackerly probably," Ella responded softly, enraptured in the game as Oriana hurriedly called another play, assembling her team. Dee immediately smacked Ella sharply on the arm, causing Ella to jump. She offered a pure look of embarrassment to Howie. "I'm sorry, I really didn't mean that..."

"It's alright, Ella. It's a mistake I made... but now I'm with Oriana, and that's all that matters. The past is the past," Howie replied, giving Ella a smile of reassurance.

"You're just on the waiting list, remember," Dee teased, nudging Howie's shoulder. "You get that big interview tonight."

"Yeah, but I think I'm a shoo-in. She really likes me," Howie bragged playfully with a laugh.

"Yeah, all you have to do is wear that pink shirt those vultures down there are going to make you for ALL the games and she'll love you forever," Dee laughed.

"Uh-uh, no way am I wearing pink!" Howie shook his head vehemently. "Oriana said she doesn't want her name near that color."

"Regardless, they're going to make it for you. And we're not talking light pink. We're talking NEON pink, Howie. Little hearts all over the place with little arrows. All the dots are turned into hearts, roses all over the place, it's a real...fashion statement," Ella giggled.

"Oh God, you can't be serious. Neon pink with hearts and everything?" Howie groaned, feeling his body shudder at the thought.

"Oh, yes," Dee replied, pulling out her own shirt to demonstrate the quality. Howie immediately hunched over and grew pale at the very sight. Dee smiled, "But for the small fee of telling us where you're taking Oriana for this interview, El and I could craft you a beautiful t-shirt in your chosen color."

"Any color I want?"

"Yes, sir. You just have to tell us where the interview is taking place."

"Any color I want?"

"Yes," Ella laughed.

"Any color--"

"Howie!" both the girls laughed.