- Text Size +
Chapter 39 – The Drag of Hangovers

Oriana yawned yet again as the sounds of teenagers bustling to classes filled her ears. She groaned at the high-pitched squeals of the girls speaking about the Homecoming Dance in two weeks. Everything seemed to be a nuisance. Knowing she had absolutely no energy to tolerate standing alone, she leaned back against her locker, listening to Luke chatter about their upcoming dance recital. She wanted to listen, but her eyes slowly fell close yet again. She couldn't believe how tired she actually was. Monday mornings were a bother for every teenager in America, but Oriana had gotten home from camping at the beach late that morning. The boys didn't seem to care, because they had slept the entire way, but she had to drive. She wouldn't have dragged herself to school if it weren't for the two tests in her Enriched classes.

"Cherry-Bomb?" Luke called as he slammed his locker shut, startling Oriana. She jumped away from her locker only a moment, glaring slightly at Luke before leaning against it again. He smiled sweetly, glancing down the hall to see Teagan pointed toward Oriana. "How much sleep did you actually get last night?"

"Two? ... No, one and a half," Oriana murmured, closing her eyes as she slumped against her locker yet again.

"Well, the next time you go camping, get more sleep the night before you come back. Good piece of advice," he placed his arm around Oriana's shoulders. "Come on, let's talk with Teag."

"Eh, no! Five minutes till we have to be in class... Let me here!" Oriana whined softly, pulling back from Luke's grasp.

"This is our free hour, remember? I know you're not that tired," Luke replied, bringing her into his arms again.

"I'm exhausted!" Oriana complained, pulling out yet again. She peeked her eyes open just a moment to notice Brian tightly secured by Teagan's side. She didn't want to interrupt that, either. Yet, Luke seemed to oblige Teagan's incessant pointing toward Oriana. "Just leave me... LUKE!" Oriana yelped in surprise as Luke bent over and threw Oriana over his shoulder, walking toward Teagan's little group.

"Teagan wants to talk to you about camping, I'm sure. Now stop wiggling, I don't want to drop you!" Luke replied as they reached Teagan and the group. "Hey, everyone."

"Hey..." Teagan trailed, arching her eyebrows in confusion as the group stared at Oriana's backside over Luke's shoulder.

"Ori was too sleepy to walk, so I volunteered to carry—"

"You freaking kidnapped me from my sleeping spot, Luke!"

"Kidnapping is such an awful word. I like to think of it as...abducting for the better cause," Luke called behind his shoulder, smiling gently toward Teagan, trying not to frown at Brian's disgusted look. "Wasn't my fault that Teag wanted you as soon as possible."

"Luke—nice ass..." Oriana trailed.

"Right back at you," Luke replied with a grin as he set her down.

Oriana stumbled a little once her feet were planted on the ground. She had nothing nearby to lean against, so she decided to lean against Luke instead. She rested her head against his broad shoulder, staring at her friend. She stifled another yawn while speaking, "So, what'd you want Gab—"

"I've got to get to class," Brian cut shortly, glaring toward Oriana.

"Are you alright, Babe?" Teagan asked, looking at her boyfriend with confusion. He had been in a good mood right before Oriana and Luke walked up, but she shook that thought away. He's probably tired from our first weekend alone.

"I'm fine," he assured, glaring shortly at Oriana. He quickly averted his attention back to his girlfriend, pressing a kiss to her lips. "I'll see you before practice?"

"I'll be there," she smiled, kissing him again.

"Love you, Babe," Brian called, walking past Oriana, making sure to connect roughly with her shoulder.

"Love you, too," Teagan replied, not noticing the conflict between Brian and Oriana. "So... how was the camping trip, Trouble?"

"Trouble in and of itself," Oriana stated, rubbing her already sore shoulder.

"Well, spill it! What happened?" Teagan enthused, hugging her best friend.

"We were on the beach, swimming, tanning, talking, and eating marshmallows. Regular camping," Oriana answered, not really wanting to divulge too much information until they were in private. She smiled at the warmth of the hug, affectionately rustling Teagan's dark locks. "How was your weekend?"

"Spent all my time with Brian... that was a lot of fun..." Teagan blushed a little. "But I missed you so much! I'm not used to you being gone."

"I've been gone before..." Oriana trailed.

"Not for the whole weekend. You know the only way we've been apart is me being at my house and you're at your house."

"Well, what are you going to do when we're at college?"

"Um... come and kidnap you?"

"What is it with kidnapping me today?" Oriana groaned as Luke slightly pushed her to make them walk toward the large classroom for their free period. She stumbled a little, taking Teagan along with her.

"Because everyone loves you!" Teagan replied as they regained their balance. She gave Oriana a loud kiss on the cheek.

"You're really happy go lucky today," Oriana commented, looping her good arm around Teagan's waist. Luke quickly hurried to Oriana's other side, wrapping his arm around her waist. They looked like a happy threesome, hurrying to the last class of the day.

"I think it being the last class on a Monday might do with it," Teagan chuckled. "Besides that, there's no reason not to be happy go lucky. I spent the weekend with Brian, and now you're back from camping--"

"Ria!"

The group stopped shortly, noticing Howie rush toward them with a large smile on his face. Oriana shared the same smile however, breaking the link of arms with her friends. She stepped toward him, offering a tight hug. "How was classes?"

"They dragged on forever. We've gotta go to bed early the night before school if we go camping," Howie kissed her gently. "You look like you're about to fall asleep."

"Oh please, I'm the one that had to drive on the way home. You guys were asleep the second you buckled your seatbelts," Oriana teased, accepting the sweet kiss, though her cheeks blushed a faint pink from the public display of affection.

"Well, I was tired!" Howie chuckled, turning to see Luke and Teagan. "Hey, guys."

"Hey," they called in unison with smiles.

"Why were you so tired anyway, Howie? Did you guys take my advice about kicking Sax out onto the sand?" Teagan trailed with a smirk.

"No, we were up the last night telling ghost stories... remind me to never ask Ria to tell another one," Howie joked, kissing Oriana's cheek.

"He wanted his teddy bear that night," Oriana laughed, yawning yet again.

"I did, but my girlfriend is a much better teddy bear than the one I have at home," Howie grinned, pulling her closer to him.

"That is so cute!" Teagan cooed.

"Don't you have a class?" Oriana groaned, slightly pushing him away as her cheeks turned a deeper red. She loved Howie more than anything, but felt so self conscious.

"Oh, shit. I forgot," Howie kissed her again before adjusting his black and blue backpack on his shoulders. "See you after class?"

"If I don't collapse from exhaustion... Sure."

"I love you," he kissed her once more.

"Yeah, I know," she teased. Howie offered her a look of shock, staring at her in disbelief. It was almost like he decided she refused to say those things in public. He shrugged his shoulders, turning to leave, but she quickly caught his upper arm. She pulled him back for a stunning kiss, allowing their lips to carefully part before declaring, "I love you, too."

Giving a silly smile, he kissed her cheek and waved to everyone before heading to class.

"Excuse me... Did I just hear Oriana Riley offer a declaration of love to another human being? A preferably male human being with absolutely no family blood attachment that kisses you passionately?" Luke called in disbelief, wrapping his arms around Oriana's shoulders with a whoop.

"Maybe?" she answered shyly.

"Oh my gosh! Riana!" Teagan grinned, giving her friend a one armed hug. "I knew you loved him!"

"Somehow... I think I knew it from the beginning, too," Oriana agreed as Luke pressed a kiss to her cheek, promising to meet both girls inside after speaking with his own girlfriend for a few moments.

"You and Howie are perfect for each other," Teagan enthused as they finally walked into the free period classroom.

"You think so?" Oriana asked with a small smile. Her blue-green eyes sparkled with a radiance that Teagan was not used to seeing. She couldn't have been more thankful for her best friend. Teagan had assured that Howie would attend the parties. Teagan had done everything to make the pieces fall together. Without any thought, she hugged Teagan close, affectionately kissing her cheek.

"What was that for?" Teagan asked with a smile.

"For loving me."

"Well, I'm going to love you no matter what. Forever and ever," Teagan wrapped her arms around Oriana in a tight hug.

"Good, because I don't think you could ever get rid of me."

"Damn—"

"What?"

"Kidding, kidding."

"Now I'm not going to tell you what Momma said," Oriana scowled, clicking her tongue with disbelief. She perched herself in the back of the class on a series of heavy wooden desks. It was their normal spot to waste Monday afternoons until the final bell rang.

"Wait, what did Ma say? C'mon, tell me!" Teagan whined, sitting next to Oriana.

"Forget it now. Saying you couldn't possibly love me anymore and wanted to get rid of me. Now I'll have to keep it all to myself... Damn, it was great news, too," Oriana teased as Luke rushed to the back of the room, jumping onto the desk beside Oriana.

"I was teasing and you know it!" Teagan started to tickle Oriana's sides. "Tell me, tell me, tell me!"

"HEY!" Oriana squeaked, shying into Luke for protection.

"Tell me what Ma said!"

"No!"

"I'll keep tickling you!"

"Luke! Tell her!"

"Tell her what?" he laughed.

"That she has to stop tickling me!"

"If you told her what your mom said, she wouldn't be tickling you."

"But she said she didn't want to keep me forever!" Oriana pouted, leaping into Luke's arms when Teagan started to tickle her neck.

"You know I was teasing! Of course I want to keep you forever, you're my sister!" Teagan replied, continuing to tickle her.

"Help me, Luke!" Oriana yelped.

"You got yourself in this mess, you know," Luke laughed again.

"We're not going to be here this weekend, okay?!" Oriana shrieked, clutching tighter to Luke.

"What do you mean? Where are we going?" Teagan raised an eyebrow, stopping her tickle torture for a moment.

"Oh thank God," Oriana breathed, relaxing in Luke's arms.

"Tell me where we're going, or I'm tickling you again."

"Momma wants me out of the house before the wedding to cool off or... Whatever she thinks I need to do to prepare for this fiasco... She also knows that Homecoming is in two weeks... So, Momma and Moms scheduled our plane tickets for this weekend. We're leaving Thursday and coming home Monday. Three days off school for your beloved shopping."

"You mean we're going to New York?!" Teagan squealed, clapping her hands excitedly.

"This weekend," Oriana answered.

"You know I'm going to make you buy dresses for Homecoming and Prom, right?"

"Huh?" Oriana deadpanned.

"Well, you're going to the dances with Howie. That means you need dresses."

"Why can't I just get nice black pants or something?" Oriana complained as Luke intently listened to the conversation, knowing the guys on the team would have a fit when they saw Oriana in a dress.

"Because you know Howie and I won't let you wear that."

"It's not Howie's choice!"

"You want to make him happy, right?"

"Yes..."

"I know you don't like dresses. But they're honestly not bad. You can pick ANY color and ANY style you want when we go to New York."

"But..." Oriana groaned inwardly, remembering her promise to Catie. She couldn't possibly break that little girl's heart by not wearing a dress for two events. Plus, the idea of actually looking pretty for Howie seemed interesting. Her lips curved into a soft smile. "You won't dog my style?"

"I would never dog your style when it comes to a dress."

"That's because you probably have no style when it comes to a dress," Luke teased affectionately.

"Oh, bite me, Luke. Catie wants to see me in a dress."

"Catie?" Luke asked.

"A little girl I know..." Oriana trailed softly, smiling ever so gently. She glanced back to Teagan, her eyes sparkling. "She gives the best advice for an eleven year old."

"Eleven going on thirty," Teagan agreed, kissing Oriana's forehead. "I'm glad she gave you a talking to."

"She absolutely loves Howie."

"I'll bet all the kids love him... well, the older boys probably fought over you--"

"How'd you..."

"Because I'm Teagan," she replied simply.

"So, you two are really heading out to New York at the end of the week? Alone? By yourselves?" Luke asked, interrupting the conversation. He was somewhat confused about the girls' conversation, but understood it must have been important.

"Yeah, alone," Oriana confided. "Are you worried?"

"Well, it just doesn't seem safe for two teenage girls to shop around New York alone."

"Luke... Do you not remember that Oriana's a football player that also takes martial arts...dance... Lord knows what else? Damn, we're going to be the safest girls out there," Teagan laughed, shaking Oriana's shoulders.

"Plus, we're going to be in the good part of the city. Momma called one of the best hotels in the city - The Carlyle. She even booked us this time at a Spa thing... We're going to be super-safe, plus we'll have our cell phones on at all times. We'll be safe," Oriana promised.

"You can't blame me for being worried," Luke replied, hugging both girls. "I just want you both to be safe."

"We know," the girls countered with sweet smiles, kissing his cheeks.

"But if he gives us this much grief, what are Brian and Howie going to say?" Teagan breathed to Oriana as Luke hopped off the desks to use the restroom.

"Who cares?" Oriana asked.

"Um... they're our boyfriends?"

"Which means we can't go off to New York without their permission?"

"No, not that. But we at least need to tell them."

"We'll tell them..." Oriana trialed with a mischievous smile, "Before the taxi comes to take us to the airport."

*~*~*


"Hey, Baby Girl!" Brian called lightly as he jogged down the steps of the bleachers toward Teagan. Everyone was just traveling from their classes for their extracurricular activities. There would be a short half hour recess before the practices would actually begin. Brian had a grueling end to his day with Trigonometry. He was just thankful to look upon Teagan's lovely face. He smiled freshly, slipping a kiss as other football players filed past him with foul looks. He ignored their annoying aggravations, focusing upon Teagan.

"How was Trig, Sweetheart?" Teagan asked with a smile, wrapping her arms around his neck. She knew the team was still hateful towards Brian for the game against North, but tried to ignore it.

"Painful," Brian groaned.

"Aw, my poor Bri-Bri. I took that last semester, I'll help you with the homework tonight, okay?" Teagan ran a hand through his messy locks.

"Help with homework or extracurricular activities?" he asked with a lazy smile, kissing her cheek.

"We'll do both," she smirked.

"Sounds like a plan."

"Did I ever tell you how sexy that uniform looks on you? Damn, boy!" Teagan whistled, running a finger down his chest.

"So, I've been told by the greater female population," Brian teased, leaning down for yet another kiss as her hand slipped beneath the jersey to explore his firm stomach. He ran his hands against her silky locks, listening to the band mates whistle for Teagan's choice of boyfriends. He rolled his eyes gently, while speaking to her, "But I thought you liked my bare chest better."

"Oh, I do. There's just something about a man in uniform that I drool over..." Teagan leaned in and kissed his neck. She heard her band cheer yet again and chuckled.

"You've got quite a selection of a team over there. I think I like them the most..." Brian teased.

"You're not funny," Teagan bit down on his earlobe.

"Ow!" he yelped in surprise.

"That's what you get for being a smartass," she smiled innocently, leaning against the bleacher railing.

"You didn't have to be Mike Tyson," he scolded gently, holding his earlobe.

"Oh, quit being a baby. I didn't even bite that hard," she took his hand before leaning in to kiss it. "There, all better."

"Mmmm, okay, guess I can tell you my surprise then," Brian enthused, watching Oriana lazily climb down the bleachers toward the players screaming her name. He made a point not to scowl, knowing Teagan was carefully watching him. He quickly averted his eyes with a kind smile.
"Why don't we go out this weekend someplace special to celebrate? It'll be our month anniversary of meeting on Friday."

Teagan smacked her forehead, not believing she actually forgot their anniversary. "This weekend? Oh, no. Brian, I won't be here."

"Huh?"

"Mom and Ma are flying me and Riana out to New York for the weekend."

"Are you serious?" Brian murmured, his face falling with regret. He had been so excited about celebrating their one month anniversary. He had everything planned out. He bit down hard on his inner cheek, almost causing it to bleed. "New York for the weekend? By yourself?"

"Brian, I'm so sorry. I didn't even think if it would conflict with anything else. Everything's been so crazy lately--"

"When are you leaving?"

"Thursday..."

"Early in the morning?"

"Around noon."

"Then we'll just celebrate Wednesday I guess," Brian decided, not wanting Teagan to be upset. He could shift the plans and just stay home Thursday to see her off. Then, he'd call her Friday for a surprise, perhaps even make sure that flowers were delivered to the hotel. "I'll stay home Thursday to see you off, too."

"Brian, I feel so bad--"

"It's not a big deal, Sweetheart. You're going Prom Dress shopping, aren't you?" Brian guessed.

"Homecoming and Prom Dress shopping," Teagan agreed.

"Then just make sure you get dazzling outfits, okay?"

"I will, I promise."

"We'll celebrate Wednesday, okay? Don't worry," Brian assured, cupping her face in both his hands. He pulled her upward for a sweet kiss. "C'mon, no sad faces. One month strong, not seeing you on Friday isn't going to kill me. We'll just call each other."

"Yeah..." Teagan smiled softly. "You're amazing, you know that? Not many boyfriends would be so understanding."

"I'm one in a million," he joked.

"One in a billion," she corrected with another kiss.

"Well thank you, but you better get to practice."

"You, too," they kissed once more. "Just be careful, okay? We already had one accident at football practice, I don't think I could stand to see you hurt."

"I'm not a screw off like..." Brian caught himself quickly. "I'll be careful."

"Have fun!" Teagan smiled, about to turn around to start up the band, who were getting a little rambunctious.

"Love you!"

"Love you, too!"

*~*~*


"Hey! Howie!" Luke called brightly, hurrying up the bleachers to meet Howie halfway. Practice had yet to start, so he had a few minutes to shoot the breeze. He eagerly gave Howie a brotherly hug for a greeting, his light blue eyes twinkling with mischief. "What's happening?"

"Nothing, just waiting for band practice to start..." Howie trailed off, looking for Oriana. "Have you seen Ria?"

"Her, well, we've got to talk about her, Howie," Luke pressed, masking a stern look.

"What do you mean?" Howie raised an eyebrow.

"I've been thinking, Howie..."

"About?"

"I think we need to keep you two separated a little bit more often in this upcoming two weeks."

"Why? We've just officially became a couple. I don't understand--"

"Howie, man, chill it out. It's nothing bad. You just run her ragged," Luke laughed, motioning toward the field. He pointed near the benches and sure enough, there was Oriana. She had been helping Lou stretch out and warm up, but now she lay on the field with her head resting on Lou's leg, sleeping soundly. "Lou asked her to help him warm up... She's about the only person I know who has the balls to sleep on the field with all the other guys running around."

"I tried to tell her to go to sleep! Honest!" Howie laughed as well.

"Sure..." Luke trailed, still in disbelief over her choice of sleeping areas. Lou glanced up in the stands, shrugging his shoulders helplessly at the two, deciding just to run an affectionate hand through her curly locks. "You've definitely got to spend a little time at your own home in these upcoming two weeks. She can't afford to lose the sleep."

"What's going on these next two weeks?" Howie asked in utter confusion.

"She didn't give you a heads up?"

"Heads up about what?"

"You're serious?" Luke asked, his eyebrows knitting together in confusion.

"I sure as Hell ain't lying."

"Maybe she should tell you then?"

"She's sleeping..." Howie answered, trying not to over exaggerate the point. He leaned against the railing of the bleachers, setting his instrument case down. "Just tell me what's going on and I'll ask her about it later."

"It probably slipped her mind or something," Luke assured.

"I wouldn’t doubt it. Tell me what's gonna be happening."

"Which week?"

"Both?"

"She's going to New York this weekend---"

"NEW YORK?"

"As in the city..."

"With who? How long? What for--"

"She's not moving there completely," Luke interrupted, not wanting him to go completely hysterical. He rested his hands firmly against the other boy's shoulders. "She's going with Teagan. Dr. Riley decided Oriana needed a break before the wedding or whatever. She's letting the girls go to New York City this weekend... Teagan said something about Homecoming and Prom dresses."

"So, just for the weekend?" Howie confirmed, smiling when he heard about them getting dresses.

"I think they said Thursday till Monday."

"Alright, that's okay... what about the next week?"

"That's the wedding on top of everything else--"

"What's beside the wedding?"

"She has to start getting the scenery around for Grease all next week. If the bones are all healed, she gets her cast off on Thursday. Plus Margie decided that Ori's allowed to be in the dance recital next Friday. We're doing the solo dance together. Friday is also the Homecoming Dance. Not to mention the Wedding's on Saturday. And somewhere in that mess she has to see Mac."

"Why does she have to see that asshole?" Howie groaned quietly. He hated Mac almost as much as Brian.

"Because Ace talked her into it..."

"It's not Ace's choice, it's hers. Has it not occurred to him yet that I'm her boyfriend and that I may be a tad pissed about it?"

"I don't think he gives a flying fuck what you think about the situation..." Luke answered honestly, not wanting to upset Howie. He understood Howie's feelings toward the reunion, because he would feel the same way. "Ace just has a way of pushing her into things, because he's the captain. She has to respect him... Or at least that's how she thinks. Plus Mac and Ace are like brothers... He just gives her the whole it'd be rude not to see him because he does care about you lines."

"This is fucking ridiculous. No wonder Ace and Mac are like brothers, they're both assholes if they don't get their way," Howie grumbled. It wasn't that he didn't trust Oriana. It was Mac that he worried about.
"I'm not disagreeing with that. But Oriana has a lot on her plate next week, correct?"

"Yeah, but--"

"No buts. The girl's going to be a walking disaster if she doesn't get her rest."

"So what do you want me to do?"

"Just... Don't spend the night?" Luke joked.

"Seriously, now."

"Just make sure she doesn't overwork herself, you know? Make sure she gets her rest between all those activities. Because, Coach'll expect her back at practice the following week, then she'll start back in on her dance..."

"Dude, you know I'll take care of her. She'll get all the rest she needs."

"I know, I just... Got to watch out for her."

"Totally understandable. Just don't worry, okay?"

"That's like telling you not to worry that she's going to New York City with only Teagan to spend an entire weekend."

"She's only going to be with Teagan?!"

"I didn't mention that?"

"No, you did not!"

"Oh..." Luke smiled sheepishly. "You're going to have to fight that one out with her."

"Would she have even told me any of these plans?"

"Probably the day she left..."

"Why does she do that? To drive me nuts?"

"I'm kidding..." Luke laughed, holding his hands up in defense. "I'm pretty sure she would have told you about New York City. Getting her cast off, yes... You were invited to the wedding... And I thought she already told you about Mac?"

"She told me about Ace wanting them to hang out, but I didn't know she had to."

"Maybe you can go with them?"

"Then Riana will think I don't trust her."

"I... I don't know what to tell you"

"I'll figure it out... thanks for the heads up, man.”

"No problem, but to tell you the truth, I don't think she'll tell you about the recital."

"Why not?"

"She's weird about having people watch her dance recitals. Took forever to get her to let some of the team come when they wanted. I guess she doesn't want to look stupid in front of people she cares about."

"But I saw her at dance class before she broke her arm. She's amazing."

"She doesn't think she's amazing, Howie. She feels uncomfortable for some reason. She's the best dancer that Margie has ever had. You should definitely come. Seeing her in an actual recital is breathtaking."

"I'll definitely come," Howie agreed as Teagan blew her whistle. "I gotta go."

"Me, too..." Luke murmured, wincing slightly as he noticed two of the players raise their icy water bottles above Oriana's head. "Because by the looks of it, blood will be spilled."

Howie looked over where Oriana was and winced as well. "Wouldn't want to be those two."

"Especially while she's sleeping. One guy did that on the bus to an away game... He got his nose broken," Luke remembered as the ice water poured down. Oriana bolted up from her place on the ground, her favorite tank top soaked clean through, clinging to her slim body. She glared at the two boys, immediately tackling them. "Damn, gotta get down there before she breaks her arm again... I'll give her your love or are you hunting her out after practice?"

"Both," Howie replied as he grabbed his instrument case. "Just hurry and stop her before she kills someone... unless it's Brian..."

"You're not the only one in that mood right now," Luke replied as Brian walked onto the field, ignoring all the stony glares from other teammates.

"Well, he deserves it. Blowing the North game on purpose just because Riana made excellent plays."

"Not to mention breaking her damn arm."

"Yeah, that too..." Howie ground his teeth at the thought of it. Teagan blew her whistle again. "See you after practice, Luke."

"Yeah..." Luke trailed, glancing back to the football field. He immediately groaned, snatching his helmet before running down. "HOLY SHIT! CHERRY BOMB! DON'T! WE NEED HIM FOR THE GAME NEXT WEEK!!!"