- Text Size +
Chapter 45 – The Start of a Memorable Evening

"Oh, Lord, someone freaking kill me," Brian muttered in a low voice, sinking further into his seat as he glanced away from the stage. He couldn't believe that his father had forced him to come to Oriana's dance recital. He had been tortured enough by Teagan's frosty glares and never would learn to appreciate Oriana's beautiful dancing. He seemed less interested as Oriana rose up to her toe pointe in the modern ballet number, showing her great advancement compared to the other students who hadn't mastered such a tough skill. She smiled boldly as she did several fouette in which she stood gracefully on one leg and used a circular whip like motion with her extended leg to pull her lithe body in a beautifully tight circle several times to end the number. "Thank God!" he breathed, jumping to his feet to applaud, not knowing Oriana had the duet with Luke yet.

"Sit your ass down, the recital’s not over," Kevin hissed, pulling Brian back down into his seat.

"Everyone else was fucking standing!"

"Those are the younger kids’ parents, they can go home. If you smart off to me one more time, you're not going to the dance with Teagan tonight."

"Fuc—"
"Oriana's so pretty!" Corey cooed from Howie's lap, clapping loudly as the girls walked from the behind the raising curtain to curtsey. Oriana seemed to immediately search out her family, smiling happily as Corey blew several kisses. "We love you Ori!"

Oriana smiled blowing kisses back to Corey before scurrying backstage to finish the recital with Luke. "Now where's she going, Howie?"

"It's time for her and Luke to dance, Buddy," Howie chuckled, ruffling Corey's locks. "She'll be back before you can say 'Supercalifragilisitcexpealidocious'."

"Super-dooper-pooper-scooper?" Corey offered, just wanting to have Oriana back.

"That works, because there she is!"

Corey's eyes grew wide as the curtain quickly rose, showing Oriana and Luke positioned in a tight embrace. Corey immediately cooed again in wonder, obviously admiring Oriana's beauty. Maggie had chosen for Oriana to wear pair of tight black dance pants that flared to compliment the dark red frayed handkerchief styled top. It accented all of soft curves in her athletic body and exposed her tan stomach. Luke almost seemed to melt into her outfit with his own black pants and dark red muscle tank. Corey clapped yet again as Counting Crow's "Accidentally In Love" began to play. Stepping quickly into the beats, Luke pushed Oriana backward only to catch her in his arms to begin a varied Latin style of dancing. "Catie! Look!"

"I see, Corey! Look at how good Ori's dancing!" Catie whispered back excitedly. She and her brother loved to watch Oriana dance.

"I taught her that!" Corey cried with pride, watching Oriana swivel her hips as Luke fell back against the floor and started to crawl onto his knees to get back to her. "I wiggle my butt all the time!"

Teagan muffled a laugh as Catie rolled her eyes. Corey didn't seem to care however as he sat straighter in Howie's lap for a better view of Oriana. His large sapphire eyes grew bright as Oriana did a graceful back flip to avoid Luke's invasive tactics within the coordinated dance. She smiled coyly as he stepped toward her, bracing his hands against her hips, slowly helping her to move to his rhythm. "You're brother is so adorable, Catie. No wonder Riana won't take that bracelet off," Teagan whispered to the young girl who sat between her and Howie.

"Ori and Corey seem to be connected in a lot of ways," Catie agreed, making sure to keep her voice down. "She doesn't just treat him like a little kid, she treats him like her little brother."

"And what about you, Catie? How does she treat you?" Teagan asked curiously, still making sure to keep her eyes on the stage. Luke and Oriana interacting in dance was the most gorgeous thing she had seen in her life. They moved together like one being, anticipating each others little quirks. It was as if they were made for one another.

"She's like the older sister I've never had. Whenever Corey and me are at the Center, Oriana comes to visit the minute she hears we're there. She's so much fun, Teagan. I wish she could adopt us."

"I bet she'd do it in a heartbeat if she was old enough," Teagan agreed, remembering those late night conversations after Oriana returned from the Center. She also knew that Oriana was talking with her mother about the possibilities of Cassandra adopting both children, since their mother was looking into foster homes anyways.

"How old would she have to be?" Catie asked, watching Oriana leap into Luke's arms in time for him to lift her above his head.

"Eighteen at least, but she wants to go to college, too..." Teagan trailed, not wanting to ruin the surprise if everything did go as planned. Cassandra was planning on talking to Catie's mother after they returned from the honeymoon. She immediately pointed to see Luke drop Oriana from high above his hand, catching her gracefully into a dip, where she flipped softly out of his arms. She crossed to the opposite side of the stage, where they performed the same quick feet work, slowly inching towards one another with sly smiles.

"Teag!" Brian hissed, interrupting the conversation as he leaned over Alex.

"Wow, look at that, Catie!" Teagan replied, totally ignoring Brian as the dancing duo did some amazing moves.

"She so has to teach me how to do that!" Catie breathed in absolute awe, bringing her hands to her mouth. Cassandra glanced over at the two children, smiling softly as she turned to whisper something in her soon-to-be-husband's ear.

"Teag!" Brian hissed louder.

"I'm sure she will," Teagan smiled, patting Catie's leg. She turned to Alex, still ignoring Brian. "Isn't Riana doing great?"

"It would be even greater if you would answer your boyfriend so he shuts up," Alex muttered.

"Excuse me?"

"I can't watch my sister dance with his screechy voice in my ear," Alex explained with a growl, trying to focus on the stage. He had loved every single one of Oriana's performances, but Brian was driving him nuts.

"I'm sorry, Sax. Here, switch seats with me real quick. I didn't know he was bothering you," Teagan replied as they quickly and quietly exchanged seats. "Brian, what the Hell do you want?"

"I want to apologize for last night, but you haven't said a damn thing to me all day," Brian answered, slumping back in his seat, thankful he didn't have to concentrate on Oriana any longer. "I didn't mean to hurt you."

"Yeah, well, you did..." Teagan rubbed her bruising wrist.

"I had no idea that I did it, Teags. I'm so sorry, Sweetheart. I shouldn't be drinking like that in any case. I know that you don't have to forgive me, but I'm really sorry," Brian whispered, just wanting forgiveness so they could go to the dance in peace.

"You have to promise you won't do it again," Teagan bit her bottom lip, trying to fight back the tears she had been holding since the night before.

"I didn't even mean to hurt you. I was dreaming and had no idea what I was doing. But I won't get drunk like that anymore, okay?" Brian promised, gently leaning over in his seat to offer her a quick kiss. "Okay? I love you so much, Teags."

"I love you, too. I didn't mean to lock you out of your room, I was just... I was so mad..." Teagan took his hand into hers.

"I know... Trust me... I know..."

"Are we still going to the dance tonight?"

"Do you want to? "

"I do."

"Then of course we're going to go. We have to stop off at Ace's party after the dance, too," Brian answered, leaning to give Teagan yet another sweet kiss. He couldn't wait till Ace's party where he would meet the source of Howie's grief - Mac. He knew it would be the best party in the universe if he could unlock the key of Mac to hurt Oriana.

"Just for a little bit though, okay? I don't really like Ace and his girlfriend..."

"Why?"

"Ace is an asshole and Shay is a bitch."

"That'll work..." Brian quipped with a small smile.

Teagan leaned in to kiss him again before turning her attention back to Oriana and Luke, who were just finishing the dance.

Catie immediately jumped to her feet as Luke grabbed Oriana by the waist and pulled her quickly to his body as if she were melting against him. He offered a sweeping kiss to her throat before dipping her dramatically for a finishing pose, the curtain falling. "GO ORIANA!!!"

Teagan stood up along with everyone else, clapping and cheering. "WHOO! GO RIANA! GO LUKE!"

The red curtain rose, allowing Oriana and Luke to step toward the end of the stage. They embraced hands as Luke held Oriana out to do a proper curtsey before he could bow. He then gently guided Oriana forward and stepped behind her so she could receive her own standing ovation. Oriana blushed furiously as some of the football players jumped up from their seats in the front row, offering her single white roses.

"BEAUTIFUL, WAS IT NOT?" Maggie called, stepping out onto the stage to hug both Luke and Oriana. "THANK YOU SO MUCH! THE DANCERS ARE GOING TO GET SOMETHING TO DRINK THEN THEY'LL BE OUT!"

The curtain quickly fell again to hide Luke and Oriana as the lights flashed on. Brian lurched from his seat, eager to leave without seeing Oriana. Yet, Kevin offered him a frosty glare that caused him to wilt back down. "Is Ori coming out soon?" Corey asked with a pout.

"She'll be out in a minute, Cor. Don't worry," Howie replied.

"How'd you like it, Catie? Corey?" Cassandra asked affectionately as they gathered into the isle in a little circle to wait for Oriana. Cassandra had already told Kevin about the two children that Oriana had become so attached to. She was honestly considering adopting them and having all the paperwork put through by graduation if their mother and Kevin would solidly agree on the idea.

"Ori danced pretty! She wiggled her butt like me!" Corey approved with a happy grin, bouncing in Howie's arms.

"So, you're the one that taught her that?" Kevin growled affectionately, ruffling Corey's light blonde curls.

"Uh-huh!" Corey did something that shocked everyone by holding his arms out to Kevin.

"You want me?" Kevin asked in surprise, glancing to Cassandra for confirmation. He and Cassandra had several conversations over the two children that seemed to almost live at their home at times. He understand that Corey and Catie were shy when getting to know others and almost as mistrusting as Oriana had been.

"Yeah," Corey replied with a nod, still holding out his arms.

"Well, c'mere, buddy," Kevin enthused, hoisting the young boy into his arms. He smiled proudly as Corey wrapped his arms tightly around his neck, almost refusing to let go. Kevin affectionately rubbed Corey's back, glancing to Cassandra. He softly whispered in her ear, "We're going to adopt them."

Cassandra smiled happily, kissing his cheek before he took his hand into hers. She knew Oriana would be thrilled when she found out at Graduation.

"Ori! There's Ori!" Catie cheered, tugging on Teagan's hand.

"Go ahead," Teagan laughed, releasing Catie's hand. Catie glanced up for a moment as Teagan nodded. Catie beamed a proud smile, racing down the isle as Oriana sauntered forward.

As soon as Oriana caught sight of the little girl, she dropped her dance bag. She was still in the last dancing uniform with a towel draped loosely around her neck. She immediately bent down to her knees, embracing the little girl. Catie almost knocked her over with the force, causing Oriana to laugh harder. She kissed Catie's cheeks several times, "Guess you liked it, Catie?!"

"You danced so pretty! I wanna learn how to dance like you!" Catie cheered, kissing Oriana's cheeks as well.

"Well, I'll tell you what," Oriana decided, standing up and picking up the small eleven year old into her arms. She held out one of her white roses to Catie for keeping. "Next weekend I'll get in touch with Margie my dance teacher and we'll pick out a class for you to go to. I make tons of money working at Momma's clinic, so I'll pay for whatever class you want to take. How about that?"

"Really?" Catie squealed happily.

"Really."

"Ori that would be great! Thank you so much!"

"You saw all the styles of dancing up there... I was in every single one of them," Oriana laughed, leaning down to pull the duffle bag over the arm, still holding onto Catie and the flowers. "You decide which you want to do this week and we'll talk to Margie and get you registered," Oriana promised as she walked down to the group anxious awaiting her. Luke had slipped out quickly, needing to get changed so he could pick up Dee for dinner before the Homecoming Dance.

"Ori, you danced like me! You wiggled your butt!" Corey shouted with glee from Kevin's arms.

Oriana gazed in surprise at Corey's new choice of favorite people, arching her honey eyebrows in obvious confusion. Catie quickly poked Oriana's shoulder, causing her to jump. She mustered a smile and leaned up to peck Corey's cheek. "I was thinking about you when I wiggled my butt," she confirmed, pulling a single white rose from the bunch the football players had offered. "Here you go. A rose for my perfect little husband, right?"

"Right!" Corey sniffed the rose. "It smells like you! Prettyful!"

"I wish I could keep you in my pocket," Oriana cooed, leaning up to offer a real kiss on the boy's forehead. She smiled yet again as he tucked the flower behind his ear, showing Kevin.

"You look so handsome with that rose behind your ear," Kevin chuckled as Corey hugged him.

Oriana watched in awe as Corey leaned into Kevin to whisper something private before giving yet another squeeze. Kevin laughed whole-heartedly, kissing the child's cheek. Oriana felt proud as she let Catie down to her side. She offered the small girl the rest of the bouquet. "Can you hold that for me before the mothers attack with hugs?"

"Definitely, because here they come," Catie replied with a wry grin before Cassandra and Marie wrapped their arms around Oriana.

"You liked the ballet the most, didn't you?" Oriana squeaked as she was crushed amongst the women's hugs and kisses.

"You danced like a complete angel during the ballet!" Marie gushed, kissing Oriana's cheek.

"Even in pink toe shoes," Oriana joked, accepting Marie's approval. She loved Marie so much and accepted every bit of criticism she offered. Oriana couldn't imagine what it would have been like not being able to have Marie as a second mother.

"You did beautifully," Marie laughed, kissing her once more before handing her to Cassandra.

"You did great, as you always do," Cassandra praised, hugging Oriana tightly before kissing her forehead,

Oriana nodded with relief, accepting the kiss and offering another hug. She stood in her mother's embrace for several moments until she caught Kevin's gaze upon her. She pulled away, staring up at the man who she was slowly learning to trust. She bit down on her bottom lip, fingering the towel around her neck. "How'd you like it, Kevin? Did I bore you to death?"

"Bore me to death? No way, that was amazing, I'd love to see every recital you have! You're a great dancer," Kevin enthused.

"Thanks..." Oriana murmured shyly, taking a moment before reaching up to hug him.

Kevin smiled happily, kissing the top of her head before they let go. "Well, I think it's time for you kids to get going. The Homecoming Dance is tonight, right?"

"Yeah..." Oriana trailed, adjusting the duffle bag onto her other arm. She bit down on her bottom lip, knowing she had a long night ahead of her in heels. She turned toward Teagan. "We should get going in the Hummer, the boys can take Howie's car, and...Corey and Catie are spending the night! Corey'll go home with Kevin and Momma... Catie, you driving home with us, Sweetheart?"

"Yeah, I wanna go in the Hummer!" Catie replied excitedly.

"Deal," Oriana laughed, reaching into her duffle bag to free her Duke Lanyard with her keys. She tossed them to Catie, who took off running for the car. Oriana and Teagan shrugged their shoulders, kissing their mother's goodbye. Teagan then quickly stopped to offer Brian a sweet kiss, but Oriana just turned to leave, until Howie caught her upper arm. "Woah!" she yelped in surprise, almost falling down with the heavy duffle bag.

"I wanted to congratulate you on how much you looked like a graceful angel on the stage," Howie replied quietly, kissing her cheek.

"Oh," Oriana answered, blushing faintly. She assumed Howie might have a heart attack with the dance she did with Luke. "Thanks, Baby. You liked it that much?"

"I liked it a lot. You seemed to be in a zone when you were dancing. Especially at the end, it was amazing."

"Awe, thank you so much. I think that's the best I've ever done. You might just end up being my lucky charm," she enthused, wrapping her arms around his neck.

"I'll definitely be coming to all the recitals," he chuckled, kissing her soft lips.

"And just think of the after-party," she teased.

"Oh yeah. Now go on, you need to get ready for tonight, and so do I," he smiled, smacking her butt.

Oriana jumped with surprise at the swift tap, pulling away from his embrace. She fingered the last white rose she had with bright red edges. Shaking her head in disbelief, she offered him the final rose and kissed his cheek. "Stop hanging out with the team, okay?"

"Just thought I would try it once. I won't do it again," Howie replied, taking the rose. He cupped her chin and kissed her once more. "I love you."

"I love you, too," she promised, hoisting the duffle bag onto her shoulder yet again. She glanced to see Teagan heading towards the door with her final goodbyes said. She shrugged her shoulders, snapping her fingers to Alex. "Check you later, Doctor Mambo!"

"See you at the dance, Ry!"

"Or you know at the house after we get ready," Oriana laughed, heading for the doors behind Teagan. She was halfway out, but stopped. "Howie?"

"Yeah, Babe?"

"I kind of liked the swat..." Oriana laughed, disappearing out into the warm Floridian air.

*~*~*


"Riana, can you zip me up, please?" Teagan called as she ran into Oriana's room with her dress on.

"You're definitely slacking, Ori!" Catie chirped from her spot on Oriana's bed, watching the two teenage girls get ready for their evening. The girls had rushed home from the dance, each teenager jumping into a different shower as Catie ran to Oriana's room to entertain herself. Now, Teagan was putting the final touches on her outfit and Oriana was still slinking around in her strapless bra and fairy printed bikini briefs.

"Tie, shut up," Oriana laughed, grabbing the delicate zipper on the back of Teagan's dress. She carefully pulled it upward, pushing on Teagan's shoulders when she finished. Teagan stepped away and did a beautiful twirl, running her hands down the length of her fiery red dress. She looked like a vision of seductive beauty with the dress adhering to every curve, and the corset top giving her extra lift against the bust line. She had already ran some gel through her short brown locks to give it a sultry and messy finish and now only needed her shoes and jewelry.

"You're so pretty, Teagan!" Catie breathed deeply.

Teagan smiled, kissing the top of Catie's head. "Thanks! Now if only we could get Ori in her dress, huh?"

"Yeah, she's being slow!"

"I am not being slow! I'm just... taking my time!" Oriana defended herself.

"In other words, being slow," Teagan snickered.

"Slow is not in my vocabulary," Oriana groaned, walking toward her large closet. She opened it up and moved toward the back to find the dress. She swished her hips to the beat inside her head as she back out.

"And finally... the dress emerges!" Teagan cheered along with Catie.

"Said nothing about putting it on though," Oriana teased, draping it over her bed. She carefully peeled away the layer of plastic that protected it on the hanger, then clipped off the tags. She held it up against her exposed body, almost having doubts.

"You're going to look pretty in that dress, Ori! Put it on!" Catie begged.

"I'm going to look like a two cent hoo—" Oriana's words dropped when she noticed the glimmer in Catie's eyes. Oriana bit down on her tongue to keep from hurting Catie. If she could give Catie some kind of joy by just wearing a simple dress, then Oriana would do it in a heartbeat. She gently eased the dress off the hanger, unzipped the hidden zipper in the back, and then stepped into it. "I don't know why you're so antsy about this, Tie. You see me in my dance outfits and half of them are dresses."

"But this is a DRESS dress. You're going to a dance with Howie, and those dresses are different," Catie explained, her eyes growing wide at how beautiful Oriana looked in her cocktail-style dress.

"Here, I'll zip you up," Teagan walked over to Oriana and carefully zipped up the dress.

"Don't even say a word, Tie," Oriana teased, leaning over to cover Catie's eyes affectionately when Teagan pushed on her shoulder to signal the zipper was done.

"Hey, I wanna see!"

"I don't think I can let you," Oriana continued, blowing a raspberry on Catie's cheek as she continued to shield her eyes.

"I'm old enough, I should be able to see!" Catie retorted, shying away from the raspberry.

"Okay...okay...okay..." Oriana laughed, tickling Catie's sides before standing up tall in all her glory.

"Oooh! Oriana, you look amazing!" Catie squealed happily.

"A regular Genie of the Bottle?" Oriana joked, smoothing out the soft layer against her toned stomach before playing with the handkerchief style skirt.

"Catie’s right. This dress is absolutely perfect for you!" Teagan replied, making Oriana turn around in a circle.

"Okay! Can't do that no more or the fairies will be giving a peep!" Oriana laughed as the different lengths of the skirt flared upward against her thighs with the circle.

"Alright, no more circles," Teagan chuckled as she walked over and grabbed some jewelry. She made Oriana sit down on the bed and put earrings, a bracelet and a necklace on the younger girl. "There! All we need is your shoes, but that can wait until right before we leave."

"My hair?"

"Oh!" Teagan smacked her forehead. "What do you want me to do for your hair?"

"Ponytail?" Oriana asked hopefully.

"Nope. Not for a dance. Name something else for tonight."

"Pigtails?"

"Oriana Ryan," Teagan growled.

"Wait! I know!" Catie called excitedly, hopping off Oriana's bed. She quickly raced toward her backpack, freeing to white ribbons from her 'Friendship Bracelet Kit.' She smiled as she quickly ran back to the girls, holding them up for view. "We'll make her look like a princess. She has long-long curls, which everyone loves, so we'll let them down. But take two parts of the hair that always fall in her face and twist them back into long braids with the ribbons that'll hang down her back with the curls!"

"Darling, you're a genius!" Teagan smiled, taking the ribbons into her hands. She sat behind Oriana on the bed and brushed her honey blonde locks. "Catie, wanna help me with Ori's hair?"

"Can I?" Catie asked, gazing at Oriana with worry.

"Go ahead, Sweetheart. You're always doing my hair at the Center, right?" Oriana quickly assured.

"Yeah, that's true..." Finally, Catie climbed onto the bed next to Teagan and braided one side while Teagan did the other.

"So, what are you going to do while we're at the dance, Tie? Kevin said something about playing video games with Corey downstairs for the night to calm himself for the wedding. I have all my DVD's up here if that's what you want to do... I don't have much girl stuff, but you can use anything up here, okay?" Oriana instructed as Catie quickly finished her side with a perfect braid with the ribbon intertwined, handing it to Teagan so she could braid the two ends together for a hold, then secure the curly ends with a band.

"Okay. You have all my favorite movies, anyway," Catie replied as Teagan finished the hairstyle. "You're all done!"

"Really?" Oriana asked, slowly easing to stand up.

Catie surveyed the hair, but quickly clicked her tongue like a top hair stylist. She pushed down on Oriana's bare shoulders so she would sit. Catie then jumped off the side of the bed, locating the white rose Oriana had given her at the dance recital. She then crossed back, weaving the beautiful rose into Oriana's curls where the two braids molded together, giving her a romantic touch. "There!"

"Go, Catie! You should be a hair stylist when you grow up," Teagan complimented, affectionately tugging on Catie's ponytail as Oriana stood up to look in the mirror.

Oriana tilted her head to the side, surveying her appearance from the front. She didn't think she looked any different, but she didn't want to disappoint Catie. She then turned to survey what the back of her hair looked like and was unable to hide her smile. Catie had really out-done herself. Oriana approved of how she looked as she grasped her only girly accessories - the different lip glosses, walking back to the bed. She reached out to hug Catie tight for several seconds, before showing her the lip glosses. "Which is Howie going to like better, Tie? Cherry, Grape, Fruit Punch Sunset, or Vanilla Angel Food Cake?"

"Hmm... Vanilla Angel Food Cake! That one smells yummy."

"Deal," Oriana answered, running the lip-gloss across her lips to give them a kissable shine. She smiled mischievously, pressing her first kiss to Catie's cheek. "I love you a lot, Kiddo."

"I love you too, Ori. You have fun tonight!" Catie carefully hugged Oriana.

"I'll be home in time to at least watch one video with you, okay?" Oriana promised.

"But you need to spend time with Howie--"

"Don't let Howie know this, but Corey and you are more important."

"Why are we more important? Howie's gonna be the guy you're gonna marry!"

"Because even if I married Howie, I'd adopt you first."

"Okay, I've got it figured out. Oriana and Howie will have a lot of fun tonight, she'll get back to watch a movie with you, when she's old enough she'll adopt you and Corey and then she'll marry Howie. Is that about right?" Teagan interrupted.

"That's Teagan's way of saying hurry the Hell up," Oriana laughed, kissing Catie's cheek affectionately once more.

"Not hurry the Hell up, just we don't want to be late...in the nicest way possible..." Teagan answered with a roll of her eyes. Catie shrugged her shoulders, understanding anyway. "Hey! Catie! Why don't you go downstairs and announce us?"

"Yeah! I can do that," Catie ran to the door and stopped, turning around. "Teagan, what's your middle and last name?"

"Teagan Gabrielle Eavans," she answered with a cute laugh.

"Teagan Gabrielle Eavans and Oriana Ryan Riley. Got it! I'll announce in two minutes, so be ready!" Catie headed downstairs.

"She's so sweet," Teagan commented once they were alone.

"Momma's going to put the adoption papers in gear if Kevin says yes..." Oriana trailed, picking up the two boxes of shoes. She opened the top of the first pair, quickly handing them to Teagan. She didn't want to get too far ahead of herself with the idea of adoption, though, knowing Kevin could very well say no. "And you know what? I have no freaking clue what's up with this whole you're going to marry Howie branch people are jumping from."

"You and Howie are meant for each other, that's all. And we can honestly see you both getting married someday," Teagan replied, slipping on her shoes. She grabbed her multiple earrings, bracelet and necklace and quickly put them all on. She sprayed a little Ralph perfume. "But well talk more about this later. Hurry and get your shoes on."

"Can you toss me my J-Lo Glow?" Oriana asked, throwing her white heeled sandals on the floor to step into.

"Here you go," Teagan grabbed the small bottle and carefully threw it to Oriana.

Oriana caught it with ease, carefully spritzing it against her warm skin. She inhaled her soft scent, smoothed her dress, and glanced up to her long-time friend. "Ten bucks she calls my name last for a dramatic entrance."

"You're on!"

*~*~*


"You boys are just so damn handsome!" Marie cooed as she quickly snapped several photographs of the boys. They were still waiting for Teagan and Oriana, so the mothers were fussing over the boys. Kevin resisted the urge to chuckle as he bounced Corey affectionately on his knee. The boys looked as if they were being tortured while they faked smiles to please both Cassandra and Marie. Yet, Marie was right, Brian, Howie, Alex, and Nick were dressed to impress. Brian looked smart in his blue dress pants, crisp white button-down, and a matching blue sport's jacket with his sandy blonde curls brushed back. Alex looked funky in his leopard print dress shirt, black dress pants, and a leopard print hat. Nick looked quite classic in his light gray pants, white button-down, and a white sweater tossed against his shoulders with his bowl cut blonde locks. And Howie looked handsome with his black button-down and white dress pants, his short black curls laying messily against his forehead.

"Are the girls ready yet? My face hurts from smiling in all the damn pictures," Alex muttered to Howie as he adjusted his hat. He never knew it took so long for two girls to get ready for a simple Homecoming Dance.

"You took twice as long as the rest of us," Howie breathed as Nick offered a goofy face to lighten the mood.

"I did not take this long--"

"Ahem! I am ready to announce!" Catie interrupted as she reached the bottom of the stairs.

"Now this is what we were really waiting for!" Kevin teased, standing up with Corey in his arms. He moved to stand next to Cassandra, who was already clenching his hand in anticipation. Kevin found it quite sweet, knowing it was probably the first time in many years that Oriana had consented to wear a dress.

"Okay! Okay! Okay!" Catie called, motioning toward the top of the large staircase. "First, presenting Teagan...Gabrielle...Eavans!"

Teagan gracefully stepped onto the threshold, smiling as she descended the stairs. "Great announcing.”

"Now that's what I'm talking about!" Brian hooted with pleasure, quickly hurrying to wait at the bottom of the stairs. The fire red color of the sexy dress seemed to flame Teagan's deep blue-gray eyes as she walked down to greet Brian. Her silky legs accented by the black heeled sandals strapped to her delicate feet. Her body ripe and ample beneath the layer of clinging red fabric that cut off at the knees and the snug corset portion of the top that allowed Teagan a better advantage of cleavage. Brian felt like he was falling in love all over again.

"I guess you like it," Teagan laughed with a blushing smile as Brian kissed her softly. Marie rushed over with her camera to take pictures of the couple.

"You wearing it?" Brian asked huskily into her ear, drawing his hand around her waist as Marie gave them instructions for each picture.

"You know it," Teagan replied, smiling for each of the pictures her mother asked for. At the last one, Brian surprised her by dipping her and delivering a searing kiss as the camera flashed.

"You guys are so adorable!" Cassandra approved, stepping with her own camera. "Can I at least get my own picture of my first daughter in her Homecoming Dress to add to the collection?"


“Definitely, Ma. This is tradition!" Teagan smiled as she gently led Brian towards Marie.

Cassandra nodded, quickly taking her own picture of Brian and Teagan. Then she took another of Brian, Teagan, and Marie. She sighed softly at the memories of her and Marie at their own Senior Homecoming. "Now if my daughter would get down here... We could have Kevin get a picture of all four women... Then moms, daughters, and dates..."

"Maybe that's why she's hiding," Alex laughed.

"Alex, hush now," Cassandra scolded with a laugh. "Catie, Sweetie, is Oriana ready?"

Catie glanced up the stairway, shrugging her shoulders. She glanced toward Howie while she announced, "Now, Oriana Ryan Riley..." She waited for a few seconds, but Oriana didn't appear. Catie rolled her eyes, turning back to the stairway. "I SAID! PRESENTING ORIANA RYAN RILEY!"

Carefully, Oriana stepped toward the first step at the top of the stairs. She took a deep breath, refusing to look at anyone's reactions. Instead, she concentrated on the stairs, taking them gracefully one by one. Yet, she looked absolutely amazing to everyone in the room. Her long honey blonde curls shone brilliantly against the soft lighting at the house, given her a true elegant appeal to comment the rare cocktail-dress. The light purple fabric adhered to her soft curves like a second skin as the sexy spaghetti straps gently hugged her bare shoulders. The V neckline with a front tie that fell down the center of the dress adding to the sassiness as the dress wrapped in front with a front slit. The hemline at the bottom of the dress was a handkerchief type with various lengths of material, swaying softly with the movement of her curved hips, exposing her silky dancing legs from the mid thigh till her dainty feet wrapped in white heeled sandals. 'Just let Howie like it,' she prayed as she descended.

"Oh my! She looks so beautiful," Cassandra sniffled, wiping at her eyes.

"And the tears start..." Oriana murmured, reaching the last step.

"ORIANA!" Corey cried in disbelief.

"That bad, huh?" Oriana whispered, feeling her heart start to break into pieces. Her worries were getting the best of her mind. She had a bad feeling about how she looked from the start. She was starting to assure herself that her mother was just misty eyed for her being a dress, but that didn't mean she looked good. Besides, Howie had yet to say anything, which worried her more than anything.

"ORIANA, YOU LOOK PRETTY!" Corey continued, squirming in Kevin's arms. He set the boy down and he ran over to hug Oriana's legs.

"You're just saying that because you're my husband," Oriana softly laughed, bending over slightly to run her fingers through Corey's thick blonde curls, keeping her other hand across the low V line of her dress.

"Nuh-uh, it's true! Ask Howie, Kevin and your mommy!"

"How about I just trust you?" she soothed, carefully crouching down to kiss his soft cheek. She couldn't even muster the courage to glance at Howie, let alone ask him if he liked it.

"Picture time!" Marie called, wiping away some of her own tears. Both girls had grown up so fast; it amazed her.

"How about the girls with their mothers first?" Kevin volunteered, breaking up the silence. He smiled softly toward Oriana and Teagan. He had never seen such beautiful girls before. He felt especially proud of Oriana as he smiled upon her before squeezing his fiancé’s hand. "Let me have your camera, Sweetheart."

Cassandra nodded meekly, handing her camera and Marie's camera over. She quickly took Marie's hand, motioning for the girls to join them. Oriana kissed Corey's cheek once more before rising to her feet with Teagan's persistent tugging. Oriana crossed in front of the boys with Teagan, quickly huddling between both mothers with Teagan. She offered a bright smile while whispering to Teagan, "It's a freaking disaster, Gabby. Howie hates it."

"He doesn't hate it, you dork. He loves it," Teagan whispered back, smiling as the picture was taken. Marie called Howie and Brian over for them to be in the next picture. Howie stood in between Cassandra and Oriana while Brian was in the middle of Teagan and Marie.

"He's not saying a damn thing," Oriana murmured in a low tone that only Teagan could hear.

"That's because he's amazed by your beauty. Now stop being negative and smile," Teagan scolded as Brian wrapped an arm around her waist.

Oriana stood rigid for the photographs, still refusing to believe Teagan's statement as Howie didn't even make a move to touch her. She looked to Catie, who seemed almost as disappointed. Oriana just shrugged her shoulders as Kevin finished the rolls on both cameras, quickly bringing out one of his own. Just wanting to have at least a good memory from Homecoming, she broke away and tugged on Alex's arm. "One picture with me for your father, because I promised him a photograph for his wall?"

"Alright. Doctor Mambo is ready!" Alex grinned as he looped an arm around her waist, facing Kevin with the camera.

"Wait!" Oriana laughed, plucking the sunglasses from his front pocket. She carefully opened them, pushing them over her own eyes as Alex pulled the hat down low like a mobster. They offered their funky hand-sign toward the camera, grinning.

"Perfect!" Kevin chuckled, taking the picture.

"That'll be another song," Alex teased, kissing Oriana's cheek. Kevin quickly snapped his camera again, feeling it was a priceless moment to capture.

"That one, too," Oriana laughed, playfully rubbing her cheek as if she had hated the kiss.

"Okay, it's time to go! Y'all are going to be late!" Marie announced.

The group nodded and chorused goodbyes. Teagan quickly wrapped her arms around her mother once more before Brian led her toward his car. Oriana shrugged her bare shoulders as she leaned down to Corey and Catie, kissing them each goodbye. "Don't worry about me not being able to watch a movie with you, Tie. Looks like I'll be home extra early," Oriana promised softly.
"No, Howie's just shy because you look so pretty. He told me so," Corey confided in Oriana's ear.

"Oh, did he?" Oriana asked, figuring Corey was just being sweet.

"Honest, he did! I'm not making it up."

"Okay, Corey," Oriana answered, acting as if she believed him. She kissed his forehead once more, noticing Kevin standing near. She knew he was listening to the conversation, but for once she didn't mind. "You have fun tonight, okay, Buddy? Make Kevin take you outside and play football."

"You have fun with Howie, too!" Corey replied, hugging her.

"Okay," she replied, picking him up so she could hand him to Kevin. "Told you I actually bought a dress."

"And you look absolutely beautiful," Kevin praised, taking Corey into his arms.

"At least you think so," she answered, leaning to kiss her mother goodbye.

"Sweetheart, don't be like that. Howie thinks you're beautiful, he's just shy to say it," Cassandra replied, hugging Oriana. "You look amazing and gorgeous. Have fun tonight, okay?"

"I will," she promised, going to reach for her jean jacket, but she stopped abruptly. She knew that Teagan would probably kill her. Oriana groaned, grabbing just her keys instead.

"Bye, Ori! See you later!" Catie and Corey called, waving.

"Bye, Babes. Oh! I have a whole pint of Ben and Jerry's in the freezer. Get it before Kevin does, okay?"

"Ice cream!" Corey ran into the kitchen with Catie and Kevin right behind him.

Oriana smiled softly at the sight, waving once more to Cassandra and Marie before slipping out the front door. She turned from the door to find Howie in front of her. She jumped slightly in surprise. "Why aren't you in the Hummer? Nick and Jamie are probably screaming for you."

"I wanted to tell you how beautiful you looked in the dress. I didn't mean to make you think I didn't like it. I was just... blown away. I'm sorry I acted like an idiot," Howie apologized, kissing her softly.

"I didn't think---"

"You should know by now that your eyes tell me everything. You were afraid I didn't like the dress, but I do. You look so great that I wanted to forget the dance, bring you to my house and make love all night. That's why I didn't wrap my arms around you in the pictures," Howie replied honestly as he lead them outside.

"Well, we looked like a couple of idiots in the pictures, oh well," she sighed, trying not to comment on his other thought, because she almost decided the same thing when she saw him.

"But you really do look beautiful," Howie complimented. They had reached the Hummer, where Nick and Alex were impatiently waiting.

"Thank you," she whispered, reaching for the door.

"Allow me," he opened the door for her.

"Thank you again," she answered, arching her eyebrows in surprise as she stepped up into the large vehicle, holding the back of her skirt while she sat down.

"You're very welcome," he closed the door and went over to his side while the other two climbed into the backseat.

"Okay, Oriana?" Nick called loudly as he sat beside Alex, quickly buckling up. Oriana seemed preoccupied as she fastened her own seatbelt, slowly backing out the driveway while manuevering in her heels. Nick smirked as he leaned up, tapping her bare shoulder. "I'm sure these guys told you about my whole view on a girl's beautiful when she cares about what she looks like?"

"Your point, Carter?" she asked, throwing the Hummer into 'Drive.'

"You're an exception, because you look beautiful whether you care or not."

"And how much did Jamie pay you for that comment?" Oriana asked, staring up into her rear-view mirror.

"I didn't pay him anything except a smack upside the head," Alex defended himself. "He was being stupid by thinking that a girl's only beautiful when she cares about how they look."

"Why should he be smacked for his opinion? I mean, if that's what he truly feels, that's what he truly feels. You can't stop him from thinking that."

"The Hell I can't if it's not true."

"Riana, he's right. I just thought that was true because that's how most of the guys are at William's," Nick interrupted a potential fight.

"It's not a big deal, Nick." Oriana answered, shrugging her shoulders as she pulled into the school parking lot.

"Well, it was to me."

"We've always been cool, Nick. Don't worry about it," Oriana repeated, killing the engine. She said nothing further as she unbuckled herself, sliding out of the car. She gently smoothed the tails of her skirt down before snatching her keys off the seat. Nick shrugged his shoulders as Alex offered a dark glare to the younger boy, knowing Oriana truly felt differently because of her actions last night. Oriana didn't seem to notice however as Teagan came up from behind her and tugged on a curl. "Hey!"

"Wait like two minutes before walking in. I just saw Howie's fan club saunter in with some of the guys from the team. We're going to get them back, alright?" Teagan challenged.

"Huh?" Oriana laughed.

"We're going to get those little sluts back for hitting on Howie when he told them to stop."

"He told them to stop?" Oriana asked quietly as the guys climbed out of the car.

"Well, yeah! He pushed them away, called them stupid sluts, told them he had just tried to be nice, but he had a girlfriend."

"Oh..." Oriana trailed, biting down on her bottom lip. "So, what do you want me to do?"

"Look, we know these girls so damn well it's ridiculous. Just wait two minutes after I go in with Bri. We both know that the first thing they're going to do is go for punch, making the boys get their drinks for them while they survey the crowd. So, we're going to let you walk in and steal the lime light, the guys will definitely want to dance with you, and let nature take it's course."

"Okay..." Oriana trailed, not really understanding the plan. Yet, she didn't have a chance to consult Teagan on the issue, because Teagan was already walking into the gym. Oriana shivered slightly, leaning back against the Hummer. "You guys can go in. I'm supposed to wait."

"Why do you need to wait?" Howie asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Teagan has some sort of plan, I guess."

"Well, my date's in there..." Nick trailed, glancing to the group. He offered his hand toward Oriana. "We're cool, right?"

"We're fine," she promised, releasing his hand quickly so he could run into the gym. She closed her eyes to keep from rolling them, gently rubbing her hands against her bare arms. "Jamie, why don't you go, too? I thought you said a couple of girls are waiting for you?"

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, go on inside. I'll see you in a few minutes."

"You're staying with her, though, right?" Alex quickly asked, glancing toward Howie. He still remembered Xander's plain threats against both Teagan and Oriana. He wanted her safe.

"Of course--"

"You don't have to," Oriana objected.

"No, but I want to," Howie placed an arm around her shoulders to keep her warm. "We'll see you inside in a couple of minutes, J."

Oriana made sure Alex was in the gym before she turned. As much as one arm warmed her, Oriana would rather be wrapped in his embrace. "Since we're stuck out here for a couple, can you at least hold me-hold me? You know, both arms?"

"You don't even have to ask," Howie smiled, bring her tightly in his arms. "Better?"

"Much," she breathed, pressing her cheek against his warm shirt. She closed her eyes for the longest time, just savoring the moment. She then casually glanced up. "So you really like the dress?"

"I love the dress," he replied, leaning down to kiss her.

"Good," she whispered, her lips curving into a smile from the sweet kiss. She affectionately pulled at one of the curls tickling his forehead. "Maybe if you behave it'll turn into a strip tease dress."

"Really, now?" he smirked, kissing her again.

"Wouldn't you like to know," she laughed.

"You little tease," he rolled his eyes playfully before looking down at his watch. "I think it's time for you to make your grand entrance."

"You mean trip and fall on my face? Sure, let's go," she answered, ducking out of his embrace. She started to walk forward, but didn't feel him next to her. She carefully turned to see him still standing. "Y'all right?"

"I'm fine, just watching my beautiful girlfriend."

"More like watching my ass in the short dress," she fired with a wrinkle of her nose.

"Nope, watching my beautiful girlfriend in a dress," he corrected, walking towards her.

"Watching my beautiful girlfriend's ass in a dress," Oriana corrected, gently bumping her hip against him when he reached for her hand. He shrugged his shoulders innocently, pulling her hand up for an affectionate kiss. Oriana just laughed, "Smartass."