- Text Size +
Chapter 5 – The Other Side

"Damn, guys, what took you so long? We've been hanging out here for freaking ever waiting for you assholes to get here! Most of the others bailed because of...shit... I used to remember... But, damn, get your asses downstairs!" Brian joked with a loud whistle as he threw open the front door to find Nick and Howie behind it. The two had finished the movie at Oriana's house before trekking over to Alex and Brian's party. Brian didn't seem to mind however as he wrapped his arms around the boys for a brotherly hug. He smelled faintly of the alcohol mixture within the basement, but didn’t seem to care. He had let go of a majority of his issues once the alcohol started flowing. Now he was just in a good mood.

"Sorry, we got hung up somewhere else for awhile," Howie replied as they walked into the house and to the kitchen. There were cans of beer and glasses of mixed drinks on the table.

"Yeah, likely story," Brian chuckled, motioning to the table. "Help yourselves. J and everyone who hasn't left are downstairs playing pool and darts."

"Do you think you're sober enough to be playing with sharp objects, Bri?" Nick asked with a wry smile, watching Brian swoop down for another beer.

"Hey, I'm not drunk or anything. I'm just in my relaxed mode," Brian answered, opening the can.

"You have a relaxed mode?" Nick snorted.

"You're funny, Carter. Haha."

"We'll grab some drinks and meet you down there. We're probably crashing here tonight if that's cool?" Nick asked, tossing Howie a cold beer. They had only had two strawberry daiquiris each at Oriana's home, so they weren't worried about going over the limit.

"You guys know where the guest rooms are; Dad will probably wake you up bright and early, but y'all are welcome," Brian agreed, taking his beer and heading down to the basement.

"He's going to need all the help he can get," Nick sighed, popping off the top of his can. He watched Howie trace his fingers around the top of the beer, seemingly in a daze. Nick could hardly contain his laughter as he dragged his hands against his bowl-cut blonde locks. "How was the movie, D?"

"Huh? Movie?" Howie looked up in confusion. "What are you talking about?"

"Guess you weren't really paying attention to Texas Chainsaw, were you?"

"Well, when you have a gorgeous girl like Oriana leaning against you... you kind of forget everything else."

"Gorgeous?" Nick asked in surprise, never expecting those words to surface.

"You heard me."

"You like her that much?"

"I guess I do. There's just something about her, man. I really like her."

"Never really thought of her as gorgeous..." Nick trailed, slowly walking down the stairs behind Howie. "I mean, every time I see her in school she's in a baggy t-shirt and shorts or a tank top and baggy pants. Hair is always in a ponytail. Then if she's coming from any type of practice, all her curls are wild and she has streaks of dirt across her face. I don't know how you get gorgeous out of that. If you look at Teagan - yeah, there's gorgeous—"

"Teagan's gorgeous in the most popular girl in school way. Oriana's got this attitude that she doesn't care what she wears or what anyone thinks about her. That's what makes her gorgeous to me."

"Bet she'd look killer in a prom dress..." Nick trailed after a few moments, obviously dressing Oriana's fit body into something suitable for his own needs.

"You'd have to wrestle her into a dress, I'll bet."

"You could always try if you'd get the balls to do it."

"Who's saying I don't have the balls to do it?"

"Teagan and me," Nick answered matter-of-factly, rolling his eyes. He immediately walked Howie toward Alex, who was leaning against the pool table waiting for Brian to take a shot. Most of the guests had left. Only a few remained aimlessly watching a movie in a drunken state. Nick reached to slap palms with Alex before giving him a brotherly hug. "J, tell him what's up. Tell him that if he's digging a girl that he needs to just go for it. This boy needed her best friend's help just to get her to lean against him!"

"Wait a second. You needed help from a girl to get attention from another girl? Howie, man, that's sad! Nick's right for once. You need to just go for it!" Alex replied, finishing his can of beer.

"You don't even know the whole story!" Howie burst, trying to defend himself. "This girl is just—"

"Start from the beginning if you think you're going to get sympathy," Alex laughed, tilting his head in confusion as Brian completely missed the cue ball and almost scratched the blue pool table.

"I think you're going to need to make Brian stop playing or he's going to damage the table," Howie tried to change the subject.

"Brian, sit your ass down, Howie, start talking," Alex ordered, leading his brother toward a soft couch before jumping to sit on the edge of the pool table. Brian didn’t seem to mind as he leaned against the back of his couch, pressing the cold beer against his forehead. Alex looked highly interested in Howie's new eye-candy, since he didn't come across many.

"Well, Nick doesn't think she's that gorgeous because she doesn't care how she dresses and plays football but I think she is--"

"Wait, she plays football? For Tartan?" Alex interrupted with raised eyebrows.

"Well, that's where we go---"

"Number Seventeen?" Alex laughed, figuring there weren’t many girls in football.

"Yeah, that's her. Oh, wait. She and Brian were fighting after the game..." Howie groaned with a laugh. "Oh, great."

"Hey! Brian! Ask Latin Lover about Seventeen!" Alex immediately blurted, knowing this would be the source of extreme hilarity. Alex had never seen Brian so worked up over one girl that caused such distress.

"Seventeen?" Brian asked, his eyes fluttering open with surprise. He felt his mouth dry at the mere mention of the number. The bitter taste resumed in his mouth as anger attacked the core of his heart. He pushed himself up from the couch, almost bowling over. "You know the dyke Seventeen that was up my ass since the first blow of the whistle?!"

"Whoa! Bri, she's not a dyke she just knows how to play football! That's the point of her position, you know!" Howie yelped.

"No, her point in that entire fucking game was to humiliate me? What the Hell is her problem? Does she have some penis envy or what? Just because she's an ugly whore that looks like a man doesn't mean she belongs in football!" Brian burst, refusing to back down from his thoughts. He was so utterly appalled with the girl.

"BRIAN! That's enough! She's not an ugly whore, I happen to hang out with her!"

"You? You hang out with that dyke?"

"She's not a fucking dyke, dude. That's not cool to call someone," Nick said with a bewildered look. He had never seen Brian act in such a manner. "I hang out with her, too."

"Bullshit---"

"We were late coming here because we were over at HER HOUSE watching a movie. She's not ugly, she's not a whore, and she’s not a dyke. You're acting like a dick and you know it, Brian."

"I can act like a dick if I want, because she's a fucking whore!" Brian grunted, pushing pass the two boys and stumbling upstairs. Alex winced as Brian slammed the door sharply as he muttered a string of foul curses about the female football player.

"Damn, Howie, I'm sorry..." Alex murmured apologetically.

"He really needs to get over your father dating what's her name. He's being an asshole... it's not your fault, man. You're not the one acting like that," Howie replied as he finished his beer.

"I know, but—"

"But?"

"He's just pissed about our Dad spending all his time with the girlfriend and her daughter. He feels like he's neglecting us. Just everything's piling on top of him. Don't get pissed at him. Seventeen was really digging into him," Alex tried to explain, defending his older brother

"But that's a part of football, AJ. He knows it and you know it. He's used to being the best and it kills him to know he's not. Lots of kids have parents like your dad. I feel bad he's neglecting you guys, but he needs to just chill out."

"You're just hacked because you have a crush on her," Alex teased, trying to lighten the mood. He hated thinking about his father's lover or the fact that his brother was crashing and burning faster than ever.

"Well, have you seen the girl? She's gorgeous."

"He's said that a million times tonight," Nick rolled his eyes.

"So it has to be true then?" Alex guessed, glancing to Nick for confirmation.

"I don't know. I'm into a girl who cares a little more about her appearance, but... yeah, she's pretty."

"I didn't think there were any girls at Tartan that didn't care about her appearance."

"Oriana is the only one."

"So she's one of a kind in that school?"

"She's one in a billion," Howie sighed.

"Well, in that case, you better give me her number, D. You know, just in case I need to compare notes with her or something," Alex declared, offering his hand toward Howie.

"I... don't have her number?"

"I thought you hang out with her all the time!"

"Doesn't mean I have her number!"

"If you're such good buddies with the girl, you should at least have her digits. Damn, do you suck at this puppy love stuff!"

"I give her all these lines and hints but she doesn't—"

"You mean stammering and stuttering the whole night?" Nick snorted.

"Shut up, Nick!" Howie groaned, slamming his fist hard into the younger boy's shoulder. Nick immediately stumbled away from the pool table, almost crashing to the floor. "I tried so hard, Alex. You don't understand."

"Oh, I understand alright. You're afraid the girl will give you a pile-driver so you refuse to admit that you can't ask her out because you're terrified."

"I'm not terrified of her!"

"Then what the Hell is the problem?!" Alex burst.

"She didn't seem interested in me! So what would be the point?"

"Do you know for sure?"

"Well, not really--"

"If it makes you feel confident, D, Tea said that she caught Oriana checking you out," Nick volunteered, not wanting his friend to give up. It was obvious that Howie was sincerely interested in the girl. If Howie committed to letting her know and Teagan offered some advice, Howie could win her heart.

"She said what? Oriana was checking me out?" Howie asked in surprise.

"Feel confident now?" Alex laughed.

"No, just more terrified!"

*~*~*

"Freaking killer party," Oriana concluded as she sauntered out of her bathroom in a pair of worn rubber ducky boxers and a tight white tank top. She piled her glossy curls on top of her head, watching Teagan pull down the covers of Oriana's king-sized bed. She was already exhausted, but unable to get Howie's dark eyes away from her mind. She took a deep breath as she tossed her hairbrush onto the nearby dresser before helping Teagan turn down the bed. "Agreeing with me tonight, Teag?"

"Uh-huh. It was a lot of fun. Just a little tipsy still, that's all. It doesn't help to not eat before drinking," Teagan laughed a little as she fell into the bed.

"True, not to mention the fact you turned a little green when Leatherface took off the kid's leg," Oriana teased, crawling into her jersey knit covers. She absolutely adored her bed. She snuggled deep beneath the covers, holding her body close to the pillows.

"Ew, why did you have to mention that?" Teagan moaned as she buried her face into her pillow.

"Because green looks good on you, Teag!"

"It does not! Blue is way better on me anyway," she turned around in bed, looking up at Oriana. "The only thing that makes me feel better about that scene in the movie is that Nick looked green, too."

"Ooh, is Teag getting a little crush on the new boy?" Oriana cooed, fluttering her eyelashes.

"I don't have a crush on anyone. And if I did, I would just admit it straight out instead of hiding it like another person in this bed," Teagan shot with a triumphant smile, knowing she had hit the core. "Nick's just a good friend to have. He's a sweetheart."

"I don't have a crush," Oriana murmured in surprise.

"You do too have a crush. Just admit it. I mean, damn, Howie's a sexy Latino, I wouldn't blame you for crushing on him."

"You're such an idiot, Teag," Oriana groaned, rolling over on to her other side to prevent the conversation from happening. She couldn't believe Teagan was at it again. It was like a horrid nightmare as Teagan continued to find Oriana a boyfriend. She just wished her best friend would accept the circumstances. She wasn't a gorgeous girl that attracted boys' lustful attentions. She was the kind of girl who joked around with them and became best friends. "He's a cute guy, Teag, but it doesn't mean a damn thing."

"He likes you too," Teagan insisted. She knew how Oriana had given up the fact of ever having a boyfriend. But she just wanted her best friend to see how beautiful she really was and that guys did look at her in more ways than the one she knew of.

"Teag, don't. Every time you start this conversation and I think that maybe something can happen, I get crushed. I still remember the one guy you insisted was wild about me. Do you know what he wanted to do during our 'date?' Damnit, Teag, he wanted me to write his essay for him. I'm tired of getting my hopes up. I like hanging with my boys. I just don't care anymore, okay?"

"But that's not what Howie's like—"

"Just don't," Oriana pleaded with a shaky voice, something Teagan had rarely heard.

Teagan sighed softly, wrapping her arms around Oriana. "I'm sorry. I just want you to be happy with someone, Riana. I didn't mean to bring up bad memories."

"I'm fine. I'm just tired," Oriana tried.

"Tired of me trying to help?"

"No--"

"Then what are you tired of?" she asked quietly.

"I'm just tired," Oriana replied pathetically.

"Let's go to sleep, then," Teagan turned off the lights and lay back down next to Oriana. "Whether you want to believe me or not... there is someone out there who loves you for you and will never hurt you, Riana."

"Yeah, you, Teag," Oriana replied, her eyes adjusting to the immense darkness.

"Yeah, there's me," Teagan smiled, kissing Oriana's cheek. "But there's a guy out there who feels the same way."

"When you find him, give him the address to my house so I can kick his ass for not showing up sooner, alright?" Oriana murmured jokingly, feeling sour.

"Or maybe he already knows it."

"Then I'm still going to kick his ass for not showing up."

Teagan laughed, nudging Oriana gently. "Go to sleep, Cherry Bomb."

"I'm trying, but this little annoying voice keeps whispering in my ear--" Oriana yelped in surprise as Teagan nudged her in the ribs. She immediately turned to eye her friend in the dark. She smiled softly, "Don't let this get around, but I love you a lot."

"Love you more!" Teagan smiled back, smothering Oriana's cheeks with kisses.

"I told you not to let it get out!" Oriana groaned, accepting the kisses. She found her smile slowly fading when she realized Teagan had already slipped away to peaceful dreams. Oriana turned over to her other side, concentrating on the dark spot of her wall. After awhile, she found her eyes slowly fluttering closed, until she heard Kevin's voice and her door opening. On first instinct from past experiences, she leapt out of bed and held her hands up in defense, "GET AWAY FROM ME!"

"Riana, sweetie, it's Momma and Kevin! It's okay!" Cassandra replied quickly as Teagan woke up and turned on the lights.

"Jezz! Don't do that!" Oriana moaned, rubbing her face vigorously to orient herself. She squinted at the brightness in her room, feeling her cheeks burn with embarrassment at her irrational reaction. She immediately folded her arms across her chest for protection, hating the bewildered look crossing Kevin's eyes. "Sorry, Momma."

"It's okay, Sweetheart," Cassandra repeated, walking over and enveloping her daughter in a hug. "Kevin and I were just making sure you and Teag were home."

"He's staying the night, isn't he?" Oriana murmured darkly with disgust.

"Yes, he is. Oriana, I really wish you would give Kevin a chance. He's not like the other guys I've met," Cassandra whispered as Kevin and Teagan talked a little about the game.

"They're all the same, Momma."

"No, they're not. You better start giving him more of a chance, because he's going to be around a lot more often."

Oriana pulled away from her mother with a dark look. She crossed her hands against her chest once again, stepping back from the happy couple. "Teag and I are in bed and we're fine. Sorry for screaming. Have a nice night. I won't be home tomorrow, I'm heading out surfing with Jere and Kyle."

"Oriana Ryan, there's no reason to be so cold--"

"I'm not cold, I'm just stating facts."

"That's why you gave me that look, okay," Cassandra replied, turning to Teagan. "Your mom told me to tell you she needs you home around noon tomorrow, something about shopping."

"Hot Topic Shopping!" Teagan squealed excitedly.

"I guess that's a good thing," Cassandra laughed, giving her a kiss in the forehead. "Goodnight, girls."

"Night, Ma," Teagan called as Oriana shut the door behind her mother and boyfriend. She then hurriedly locked the door and pressed her back tightly to the door. She leaned over to click off the lights, slinking all the way down to the floor to cry.

"Riana? Riana, are you okay?" Teagan asked worriedly, rushing to the floor where Oriana was crying.

"I'm f-f-fine," Oriana sniffled, covering her face with her hands. She could feel her heart ready to burst from its ribcage. She hated her mother's crisp voice. If she only knew the pain Oriana had suffered with each new man in her life. If only she could realize the anguish boiling inside.

"Bullshit. What's wrong? There's something you've been hiding for too long and you need to tell me right now."

"I do-don't have anything to tell you," Oriana hiccupped, struggling to maintain her emotions. Usually, she could hold the emotions tight against her heart without disturbances. But the jarring from her sleep had completely disoriented her and the stress of her mother being disappointed in her was inconceivable. She didn't want to tell Teagan the horror stories, because she promised to keep them secret. Somehow, she held the idea that the men would come back with vengeance if she told. So, she swallowed her hateful words and decided to strike out against the new men in her mother's life to protect herself.

"You're going to sit there, crying and hiccupping, and say you have nothing to tell me?" Teagan asked skeptically, raising her eyebrow. She knew something was wrong and that was the reason Oriana acted so cold with Kevin. But she couldn't figure out what happened to sour the young girl against him.

"Y-Y-Yes," she sniffled harder, covering her face with her hands.

"Why does it feel like you're lying to me?" Teagan whispered, taking Oriana's hands into her own.

"You've go-got to get to b-bed, Teag. Mom...Moms wants you back early to d-d-do your favorite s-shopping at Hot Topic," Oriana whispered with another set of hiccups, pulling away her hands. It was disgusting to even think about the disaster she called life.

"Right now, all I care about is you. Something's totally wrong and you're not telling me."

"Not now, Te--"

"Yes now."

"Can we just go back to talking about Howie?" Oriana asked woefully, feeling her sobs slowly settle as she heard the adults' footsteps dissipate into her mother's bedroom. Talking about Howie would be easier than explaining her faults.

"You mean how you like him and he likes you?" Teagan replied, knowing Oriana just wanted to shift the attention away from her personal problems. She made a mental not to sit Oriana down and have a serious talk.

"Okay...maybe this was the wrong conversation," Oriana sniffled, pushing herself away from the door.

"How about we just go to bed? You need to calm yourself down."

"I am calm."

"Well, sleep will make you calmer?"

"Something like that," Oriana mumbled, tumbling into her bed. Without a second thought, she curled against her pillows and pulled the covers over her head. She never heard Teagan mumble a good night as she tumbled into endless nightmares.