- Text Size +
Chapter 8 – Oh So Close

Oriana sighed softly as she criticized her reflection in the full-length mirror. It was the day of her birthday party and she feared the entire event would turn disastrous. Her mother had left a while ago to meet Kevin and his two boys, so Oriana was left alone till her guests arrived. She was having second thoughts about the new bikini as she twirled in the mirror with a sharply critical eye. It was the most flattering cut upon her sleekly toned body. The strings of the triangular cut bottom tied against her lower hips as the strings of the triangular cups of the top were tied around her back and neck. Her skin was a brilliant caramel color from the Floridian sun and reflected the beautiful honey coloring in her pigtail braids falling down her back.

Though many would see a true beauty, Oriana saw nothing more but pitiful wreck of useless flesh. She had hated her body since many of the boyfriends attacked her for her looks. Now she didn't know if she should wear such a revealing bikini. She bit down hard on her lip as the doorbell chimed. Without a second thought, she snatched a tank top from her closet. She hurriedly ran down the stairs as she shrugged it on, knowing she would protect herself in the long run. "Coming! Hold up for a second!"

"Hurry up, Riana! You're too slow!" Teagan's voice called from the other side of the door. She pulled tighter on her small ponytail as Nick and Howie stood next to her. Nick snickered as he heard Oriana curse at her from behind the door, obviously banging on something along the way.

"Why the Hell should I be opening up the door for you anyway?" Oriana defended as she swung the door open, not prepared to see Nick and Howie behind her best friend. She almost stumbled out the doorway. Her dazzling blue-green eyes grew wide with shock, not prepared to see Teagan with the first of the guests, especially Howie. She instantly tugged on the short tank top, hoping to hide the lower portion of her bikini bottoms. "You're the one that just comes into the house whenever you please, Teag."

"True, but I have guests with me, and that would be rude," Teagan grinned as they walked inside. She kissed Oriana's blushing cheek. "Happy birthday, chica!"

"Thanks," Oriana murmured, hugging her friend close to whisper in her ear, "Keep these guys busy, I'm going to grab a pair of shorts---"

"But Nick and I still need to wrap a few of your presents!" Teagan objected with a shriek of protest. She and Nick were determined to get their two friends alone for at least a moment before everyone else got to the party. "Ma has wrapping paper and stuff in her room, right?"

"Yeah, but--"

“Be right back!" Teagan kissed Oriana’s cheek again, took Nick's hand, and ran upstairs with their presents.

"She never gives me a chance to finish a damn sentence," Oriana grunted in defeat, wrapping her arms around the lower portion of her exposed stomach. She shifted to bear all her weight onto her right side awkwardly, obviously uncomfortable in Howie's presence. His eyes burned through her soul and set her body ablaze with enkindled heat. She brought her hands up to her bare shoulders to rub them for warmth as she fumbled to produce a smile. "I'm happy you came, Howie."

"I'm happy you invited me," Howie smiled softly as she led him to the kitchen, which was full of sandwiches, chips, drinks and desserts. "Wow, your mom really went all out for you today."

"More like for her dream-boat," Oriana murmured sarcastically, leaning against the kitchen counter.

"You really don't like the boyfriend, do you?" Howie asked curiously, taking a soda and sandwich before hopping up on the counter.

"Not liking is too soft a word to describe the feelings I express for that ogre," Oriana admitted honestly, feeling her stomach tighten at the mere mention of him.

"Is he an asshole or something?" he pried gently, attempting to really get to know Oriana better than other guys she had dated before.

"Well… Look, I gotta go upstairs and grab a pair of shorts. You can stay down in the kitchen if you like... Or come up?" Oriana suggested, quickly changing the subject. It was bad enough that the man and his sons would be tormenting her birthday. She didn't need to speak about him also.

"I'll come up with you, if that's alright." Howie mentally kicked himself for asking the wrong question.

"It's just a bedroom," she laughed, motioning for him to follow her up the spiraling staircase in the living room.

"I like seeing other people's bedrooms. They're all decorated to reflect their personalities."

"My personality is kind of...mismatched..." Oriana tried to describe, opening the door leading to her bedroom. Sure enough, the style was controversial within itself. Her lavender bedspread was decorated with various clouds, stars, and moons with the inscription - Little Dreamer - on the headboard. The walls were a creamy sky blue color decorated with various objects hinting to the many depths of her persona. The wall to the left side of her bed held her giant entertainment system with favorite lyrics scrawled on the wall with various colors of paint. The far wall was decorated with personal pictures and quotes from her favorite movies. It also connected her room to walk in closet and connected her private bathroom. An expensive keyboard set off to the side with various papers fluttering about the keys. The wall to the right side of her bed was set up as a shrine of awards.

Howie stood there for a moment, admiring the various awards for football, basketball, dancing, and highly praised academics. He was fascinated as he ran his fingers against the aging surfboard hanging on the wall. It was obvious that Oriana was serious about surfing, because the board with the logo of cherries and the name "Cherry Bomb" was faded and scratched with hard wear. Sure enough, her bedroom was not so tidy. Various objects thrown upon the floor and the bed unmade, but it matched Oriana's personality perfectly. She offered a sheepish smile as she reached for a pair of baggy mesh shorts hanging on the end piece of her footboard. "Told you it was mismatched..."

"No, I like it. I can definitely see your personality in here," Howie chuckled, walking over to her entertainment center. "You must have every CD known to man here. I thought I had a lot... damn, girl."

"I like music," Oriana answered simply, sliding the shorts along her long, tan legs to rest against her lower hips. The tiniest amount of the bikini bottoms showed above the waistband, giving Howie’s heart a small flutter of excitement. "Helps me disconnect from everything when I need to get away."

“I feel the same way about music. Kinda obvious when you see me in choir, band and the musicals," Howie looked around the room once more. "This is definitely a cool room. You did a good job decorating it."

“I didn't really decorate... It just kind of exploded..." Oriana laughed again, glancing around. She shook her head as she reached to fix the covers on the bed. She hesitated slightly, knowing it wasn't the real her. She rolled her eyes at being so foolish, immediately flinging the covers toward the bottom of the bed. "Definitely better..."

"You're not a neat freak, are you?" he chuckled.

"You don't think this is neat?" Oriana asked with a mock of mortification.

"You obviously haven't seen my room... it's so neat, I think you would run through and make it messy. Drives everyone I know nuts," Howie rolled his eyes with a grin.

"Guess I won't be sleeping there," Oriana blurted without thought.

"Excuse me?" he asked with a raised eyebrow.

"What?" she asked innocently, feeling her cheeks blush crimson.

"I think you'd like my room," he changed the subject a little. "It’s a Latin theme with deep colors... you seem to like those colors, too."

"I'll have to come visit you at your house then..." she trailed, feeling highly uncomfortable. Her heart slammed against her chest with the fever of love, but her brain refused to process the idea of Howie being sincere. Oriana felt like she might burst as she sat down on her bed, biting her bottom lip to keep from screaming. Life could be so difficult.

"Are you alright?" he cocked his head with concern, sitting down next to her. All he wanted was for her to see he was sincere about everything he felt about her, but knew it was hard.

"Absolutely peachy," she declared, falling back onto her bed. The soft mattress bounced her a little before allowing her to settle comfortably. She felt the lower portion of her tank top bunch to expose her bare stomach. She didn't seem to mind as she rested her hands against the cool skin. She stared at Howie for a moment, trying to search his dark eyes. "Howie, I'm really sorry about the other day."

Howie shook his head with a smile, leaning back on one arm. "You don't need to apologize. I should have been more tactful about asking you out."

"You really are a killer friend," she decided, mentally deleting the last statement in his request.

"Thanks. I've been told there's something about me that makes me easy to talk to," he made a face. "I'm sorry, that was bragging."

"It's not bragging if you're good at it," Oriana teased, allowing herself to cuddle against his side for a moment. She inhaled the soft scent of his cologne, feeling her skin prickle with pleasure.

"Well, you're a killer friend, too," Howie smiled, looking down at her. Her true beauty always blew him away whenever he saw her.

"Only when I don't cock and attitude..." Oriana laughed, rolling her eyes. She tensed a little as Howie gently tucked a stray curl behind her ear. She chewed on the inside of her cheek, trying to calm her heart. "I think you'd be a great guy to spend an entire night with... I mean... Well, yeah, I guess that's what I mean, like you spending the night over and just chilling..."

"I think that would be a lot of fun, spending the night just chilling with you."

"If sex just happens to occur--"

"Sex would only occur if the girl consented to it."

Oriana cocked her head into confusion, trying to control her laughter at Howie’s mortified face. "I was just playing, Howie. Usually the football guys get all flustered when I say something stupid like that... Guess it doesn't work with you?"

"Not with me," he gave her a wink.

"Then maybe I just have to physically prompt the flustering?" she asked with a coy smile, gently pushing on his firm chest before trailing her fingers shyly upward.

Sure enough, Howie's face turned a slight red at the contact between him and Oriana. "It worked."

"You're a cute friend," Oriana laughed, rolling onto her back again to stare at her ceiling.

"Right back at you," Howie replied with a grin, lying down on his back as well. "Whatcha looking at?"

"A freaking hot picture of Vin Diesel in the shower that Teagan had blown up for me from a magazine..." Oriana answered with a delighted smile.

"Whoa, there he is... naked, even though you can't exactly tell," Howie made a face.

"The picture ends below his belly button, showing off the beginning of his pelvic narrowing... God bless America. Five minutes alone with that man and I would definitely give up the whole virginity angle."

"Wow, you're still a virgin?" Howie asked with surprise..

'Technically if we're going for the consented sex angle,' Oriana thought bitterly, frowning at the mere thought. She muffled a groan as she ran her hands against her face, blinking back the burning tears. "Yeah, virgin born and raised," she told Howie, keeping her face covered.

"You alright?"

"Yeah, I'm fine, but why are you so shocked at the idea?"

"Because most girls I meet aren't. I mean, it's not a big deal if they're not... a virgin nowadays is kind of like a diamond in the rough. That's really cool, though. I admire that."

“And you? What are you stamped as?"

"One of the last few guys on Earth who is still stamped a virgin."

"I admire that a lot, Howie."

"Thanks."

"Um... Howie?"

"Yeah, Riana?"

"Do you want to spend the night tonight?"

Howie smiled, turning on his side to face her. He knew he was on his way to winning her heart. "I'd like that a lot."

"I figured. The bed is way comfortable--"

"Which bed?"

"Mine?"

"Oh. Making sure," he chuckled.

"You can sleep in the guest room if you want---"

"No, no, no. Your bed is definitely awesome, I'll sleep in here."

"I'm going to be sleeping right next to you..."

"Yes, you will be."

"Two virgins in a bed can't do much damage, right?" Oriana joked, trying to push past her sour thoughts.

"Not the last time I heard," Howie chuckled, pushing on her bare shoulder. "Happy Birthday."

"Thanks, Howie," Oriana whispered, leaning up to place a kiss against his warm cheek. She pulled back slightly when she realized she kissed the corner of his mouth. She felt her heart slam against her ribcage as her brain seemed to numb away the pain of previous heartaches. She found herself slowly leaning into continue the kiss, but her door slammed open. She yelped in surprise as two of her teammates, Gabe and Lucas, rushed her. They yanked her off the bed and immediately pulled her tank top off to expose the upper portion of her bikini. "WHAT THE HELL IS UP WITH YOU TWO?!"

"Holy shit! Teag wasn't lying!" Gabe whooped, kissing both of Oriana's cheeks before hoisting her against his shoulder and giving a sharp slap to her behind. "You're our birthday stripper, Cherry-Bomb!"

"But it's my birthday!" Oriana protested.

"Exactly! Gives new meaning to the word!"

"Well you better get me drunk first!"

"HEY! WHAT'S GOING ON HERE?!" Teagan asked as she rushed into Oriana's room.

"Oriana's getting dunked in the pool!" Gabe roared with laughter, smacking her behind yet again as Lucas ripped off her mesh shorts.

"Hey! This isn't the damn locker room!" Oriana objected.

"You're still getting dunked, because we have to christen the party before any of the other players arrive," Lucas explained, pushing past Teagan and Nick.

"I better at least get a twenty in my bikini bottoms for this!" Oriana threatened, her voice bouncing as Gabe ran down the steps. It was silent for a moment in Oriana's bedroom till they heard the screen door open and Oriana shout, "I'M GOING TO PUMMEL YOU!” There was a sharp splash of water and then a loud sputter before Oriana’s voice continued, “AFTER I GET DUNKED!"

"What the Hell happened?" Nick laughed as Lucas ran down to join in the fun.

"We got interrupted," Howie groaned softly, rubbing his face. "But I did get invited to spend the night tonight..."

"Holy shit, are you serious?! I didn't realize the girl was that fast!" Nick laughed, tackling Howie on the bed.

"AH! NICK COOTIES!"

"Nick, you did not just call my girl a slut," Teagan growled, finally putting the pieces together.
Nick climbed off Howie and looked at Teagan with shock. "NO! That's not what I called her!"

"Then what the Hell do you mean about her being fast? Damn, Nick, the girl is a straight 'V.' She's saving the good stuff for her wedding night! I can't believe you think that just because she invited Howie to spend the night means that she's planning on shacking up!" Teagan burst, feeling the need to defend her younger friend. Previous boyfriends had spread the same lies about Oriana when she refused to put out. Teagan had beaten the boys with everything she had.

"Whoa! Teag that is not what I meant!" Nick held his hands up in defense. He had never seen Teagan so angry before, and neither had Howie.

"Then what DID you mean?! Hmm?!"

"I meant that she's really warming up to him..." Nick faltered as Teagan's blue-gray eyes seemed to turn black. He tumbled off the side of Oriana's bed to put a physical barrier between him and her. "Damn, can I just buy you something like normal men do?"

"You think buying me off will make me forget what you just said? That's happened to her before, Nick, and I'll be damned if I'm going to let that go through school again."

"Huh?" Nick squeaked.

"Oriana. Has. Had. Guys. Spread. Shit. About. Her," Teagan explained slowly. She narrowed her eyes. "I found out who they were and kicked each of their asses."

"But I would never do that, Teag. She's a great girl. And damn fine in a bikini if I might add. So I retract that not gorgeous statement, Howie," Nick murmured.

"WHAT statement are you retracting?"

"Um... Howie and I were talking about Oriana and he kept saying that she was absolutely gorgeous. I said that she was pretty, but not gorgeous like you, because I like a girl who puts energy into her appearance, but then I saw that bikini and she looks absolutely fantastic and can I just buy you something really big so you won't pound the shit out of me?" he squeaked within a run-on sentence.

Teagan stood there for a moment, hands on her hips. "It's gonna cost you, Carter."

"Anything!" he breathed.

Teagan was about to make her demands when she heard a giant splash. She cocked her head in confusion as she traveled out onto the veranda that connected to Oriana's room. She hid a smile as she watched Oriana battle Gabe and throw him into the water. Teagan whooped until Lucas rushed Oriana from behind and jumped into the water. "HOWIE! I NEED BACKUP!" Oriana choked as she surfaced in the water only to have the two boys push her back down.

"You heard the woman! Go help her!" Teagan replied with a grin, pulling Howie up.

"Against Lucas and Gabe?" Howie squeaked, bracing his hands against the doorway to keep Teagan from pushing her out. "I have to get Oriana's presents out of the car! Carter, go help her!"

"She asked for you, man! I ain't doing your work!"

"But I have to get her gifts---"

"We'll go get them! At least go down and cheer her on, Howie. She can take those two with both her hands behind her back," Teagan confided, pointing down to the in ground pool. Sure enough, Oriana dove at Lucas from beneath the water to knock him off his feet.

"HOWIE! COME ON OUT!" Oriana called again.

"Your lover's calling!" Nick cackled.