- Text Size +
Chapter 9 – Bittersweet Birthday Cake

"So, are we expecting a hook-up today with the lovebirds, Major T?" Nick asked excitedly, running down the length of the driveway to reach Howie's vehicle. His sprouting body offered a lanky stride that amused Teagan to no end. She did her best to muffle a wry laugh, fingering Howie's key chain to find the appropriate key to his vehicle. Nick and Teagan had practically pushed Howie to the backyard to rescue Oriana from Gabe and Luke before running to retrieve the rest of Oriana's gifts. They were determined to see sparks fly before the end of the night, for both Howie and Oriana’s sakes.

"As long as you and I keep pushing them together like we are, I can see a definite hook-up happening," Teagan agreed as they reached the car. She unlocked it and immediately jumped inside. "Oooh, I like this car! Howie made a nice choice by getting this one."

"Has a big backseat..." Nick commented with a mischievous smile, watching Teagan fumble to reach the bags. Unable to resist the urge, Nick leapt into the backseat, tackling Teagan under his crushing embrace. He pretended to lavish her with kisses, crying loudly, "OH, MAJOR T! YOU'RE THE ULTIMATE DRUM TO MY MAJOR!"

"You know I'm seeing someone! We can't do this, we might get caught!" Teagan laughed, squirming from beneath him.

"What's he got that I don't got?!" Nick huffed with hurt, pushing himself to hover above her.

"Actually, it's more like you have something he doesn't. And... well... he don't got cooties!" Teagan smiled, leaning up to kiss his cheek.

"Cooties?!" Nick screeched, jumping upward to rock the car as several football players passed. They eyed the car suspiciously before breaking into rounds of laughter at what they assumed was sexual activity. Another sly smile crossed Nick's usually cherubic face. "I'll cootie you!" he threatened, immediately rocking the car in a wild manner while protesting wild grunts of faked passion.

"EEK! CARTER!" Teagan shrieked, falling onto the backseat floor.

"GIVE IT TO ME, BABY, UH-HUH! UH-HUH!"

"OH, YEAH?! HERE YOU GO!" Teagan reached up and began tickling his sides.

"HEY!" Nick shrieked, jumping up to bang his head against the ceiling. He cursed openly, falling on the backseat.

"God don't like ugly, Sweetie. I thought I taught you that during practice," Teagan cooed, reaching up to kiss his cheek before grabbing the bags. She jumped out of the car gracefully, smoothing out her perfected outfit for her date with Brian later that evening.

"You're not my Major T anymore!" Nick groaned.

"You say that, but I know you think differently. Come on, Nicky. It's time to go."

"I'm sexually exhausted," he called loudly as several more partygoers passed.

"Which is more tired, you or your hand?" Teagan laughed, rushing into the house.

“YOU’RE IMPLYING THAT I MAST—”

"Teagan?"

Teagan was halfway up the driveway when the familiar voice called to her. The voice caused ripples of satisfaction to flood her system and her heart rate increased to a fluttering pace. A cool sweat broke upon the palms of her hands as shivers of delight taunted her. She coyly turned to see Brian standing with another boy while Cassandra and Kevin walked passed, lovingly kissing one another, speaking in soft undertones.

"Brian? What are you doing here?" she asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Brian?!" Nick shrieked from inside the car, preparing to jump out. Yet, his forehead connected with the top of the door, causing him to fall backward again with a thick string of curses.

"I should be asking you the same thing!" he exclaimed in surprise as she walked back to the side walk. He seemed to completely ignore Nick's moans of complaint as the other boy stepped to retrieve Nick from the car. Brian eagerly enveloped her into his arms before offering a quick kiss to her cheek. "I'm supposed to be here!"

"You're supposed to be here? But I thought the birthday party was for a doctor's plastic daughter," she replied, still trying to figure everything out. It was all too weird that Brian was attending Oriana's party.

"Well, yeah... Hence why we're... Wait, why are you here?" Brian countered as his brother eagerly spoke with Nick.

"The girl who is having the party is my best--"

"ALEX! BRIAN! C'MON!" Kevin called loudly from the porch steps, letting Cassandra enter the home. Brian stiffened dramatically as he offered a scowl to his father. Kevin seemed to notice, folding his arms across his chest. "C'mon boys! I want you to meet someone special!"

"Coming, Dad!" Alex called, walking with Nick.

"BRIAN! C'MON!" Kevin repeated.

"Hold---"

"I'll bench you from William's Football Team myself, Brian. Let's go!" Kevin barked firmly.

"Kevin's your Dad?" Teagan asked flatly, obviously taken back with a large deal of shock. Every single piece of the mystery seemed to connect within her head. Remembering her and Oriana discussing the pride and joy of the William's team being a Brian. Her Brian played on the William's Football Team. And if he was who she thought he was, Oriana was in a for a rude awakening.

"Yeah. Unfortunately at times--"

"Brian Thomas Richardson!"

"Damnit, I'm coming!" Brian huffed, leaving Teagan behind.

Teagan turned with a numb feeling settling in the pit of her stomach. She noted that Brian was wearing his William's Football T-shirt. And sure enough, his last name and number were printed upon his back: RICHARDSON 24. He was the same player that had given Oriana so much heat during the game. Teagan's mouth went suddenly dry as a cool sweat broke upon her brow. "I'm in such deep shit," she murmured.

*~*~*


"Momma, I love you bunches and all that jazz, but I need to be out with the boys. We're getting ready to start football diving. It's going to be freaking sweet..." Oriana trailed with disapproval, her mother tugging her into the family living room. She had been engrossed in activities with her team when Cassandra pulled her away to meet Kevin's sons. A heavy weight already settled in the pit of her stomach, obviously regretting every inch of this encounter. She was practically pushed into the living room, stumbling to cover up her new bikini with her large towel. Her light blonde brows furled in confusion when she noticed Nick and Howie conversing with the only other teenager in the room. She could have sworn Kevin had two sons, but her friends conversing with the newcomer as if they had known him for ages further perplexed her.

"Your friends can wait. The party's going to continue the entire day, Sweetheart. Just do this for me. And, please, for the love of God, show them your sweet side," Cassandra begged quietly in her daughter's ear, watching Kevin motion for his youngest son to step forward. Cassandra beamed an eager smile, patting her daughter's bare shoulders before glancing to her lover.

Kevin cleared his throat to step forward with his son. He tried not to wince as Oriana immediately stepped backward into her mother's embrace. He quickly offered the brightest smile he could afford, trying not to trouble himself with Oriana's coldness. Instead he settled his large hands against Alex's shoulders. "My other son is running around here somewhere, I have to go find him. But no reason why I shouldn't introduce you two first, right?"

"Guess so?" Oriana trailed, eyeing the boy with a careful gaze. She tilted her head to the side in thought, absorbing his features. He was quite thin with just a bit of a muscular finish. His fashion sense was wildly unpredictable with the red tinted spikes, dark sunglasses, baggy blue and orange swimming trunks, and a brightly colored orange muscle tank to compliment the coloring of his shorts. He offered a toothy grin, letting his sunglasses droop for just a moment to expose the depths of his dark brown eyes.

"This is my youngest son, Alex. He's seventeen, but will be eighteen in January. He plays in the band," Kevin introduced.

"Hey," Oriana mumbled.

"Hey, nice to meet you," Alex offered his hand to Oriana. "Happy Birthday."

"Thanks," Oriana answered, offering a fresh smile.

"Would you at least tell him your name?" Cassandra groaned softly to her daughter, noticing Alex stiffen.

"Oh, sorry!" Oriana blurted with apologies. "My name's Oriana."

"Oriana... I like that name, it's different from all the other girls. I'm sure others call you Ori, Riana... things like that. I'll have to think of a nickname for you that's unique. What's your middle name?”

"Ryan..." she trailed off, a little confused.

"There we go! I shall call you Ry."

"Um...thanks," Oriana laughed, folding her arms across her chest to hold up the towel circling her body. The boy was definitely crazy.

"Tell him about yourself, Oriana," Cassandra pushed further.

"Oh... I play football for Tartan?" she tried, not really knowing what to say. The room immediately grew silent for several moments. Alex seemed to take in her entire form, immediately glancing back to Howie with wide-eyes. Oriana stiffened as the towel loosened, carefully unpeeling it from her sleek for to bundle back up. She already felt self-conscious enough with her friends eyeing her mature body, but Alex's eyes immediately sparked with interest as if he knew some deep secret.

"Holy shit, you're Howie's Riana!" Alex laughed openly.

"You know Howie?" Oriana questioned, glancing behind him to catch Howie's gaze.

"I've been friends with him since we were kids! Oh man, he was right, you are GORGEOUS--"

"Shut up, Alex!" Howie hissed with embarrassment.

"What?! I'm being serious!"

"Please!" Howie stressed, immediately rubbing the back of his neck. It was torture to watch Oriana's blue-green eyes light with a playful amusement. Things had turned so sour when he asked for a date. He was afraid Alex's comments might completely trash his hopes.

"What's your problem? If Nick knows that you think she's hot-stuff, then she has to know right?" Alex continued with a bemused smile, his eyes finally lighting with recognition, turning back to Oriana. "You're number Seventeen on Tartan!"

"Yeah... Ball-busting Number Seventeen," Oriana agreed, obviously puzzled.

"Dude, you played great at the game--"

"Which game?" Oriana interrupted.

"The one against William's--"

"You were there?"

"I'm in their marching band. My brother is number-"

"Here's my other son, Brian. He plays---"

"What the Hell are you doing here?!" Oriana growled defensively as she watched Kevin push in his eldest son. She instantly recalled the scowling face hidden beneath a football helmet as curses exploded from the mouth. Her whole body tensed with a flaming anger, remembering the boy who had given her such grief after the game. His pig-headed nature just sent her body into a state of complete frustrations and his empty threats seemed to always haunt her dreams.

"You?! This is your fucking birthday party?!" Brian blurted, his hands clenching into tight fists.

"Ding, ding, ding! Tell him what he's won, Johnny!" she retorted sarcastically, causing a flood of tension to cross over the room. She folded her arms roughly against her chest as the towel gave way and fluttered to the floor, exposing her precious flesh.

Brian's eyes popped out in surprise, immediately scowling with disgust. "Well, I guess I was right about one thing. Plastic bimbo from Tartan... Only, I forgot to add the word CHEAP."

"Funny, did you come here to insult me? Because I can sure as Hell do a repeat from the football game. You know, me tackling your ass and making you eat dirt?" Oriana fired.

"You only did that because you're a fucking dyke and can't do anything else--"

"Oh, really? I can do an even better beating of your ass anytime and place, shithead."

"BRIAN!" Kevin barked in shock.

Brian still continued, "Fuck you--"

"Don't date lower than my species, remember---“

"Ma! Let's just say they know each other!" Teagan breathed in shock, immediately intervening before Oriana and Brian could become physically engaged. She pushed on Oriana's shoulders, bringing her swiftly back into Cassandra's embrace. Her heart hammered with fear as she noticed the disgust flickering in Oriana's darkening eyes.

"You're best friends with that thing, Teagan?" Brian asked in surprise, his voice laced with disgust.

"Brian!" Kevin snapped harshly as Teagan recoiled in shock. He immediately reached out to clamp his hand tightly over his son's mouth. The tension grew thicker as Oriana tensed in her mother's embrace, completely submerged in silence. "You need to show some respect to your soon-to-be-stepsister!"

"WHAT?!" Brian exclaimed, wrenching away from his father. "MY WHAT?! You have to be fucking kidding me!"

"No, I'm not kidding you," Kevin scorned, moving to draw Cassandra into his arms. He affectionately kissed the woman's cheek as all the children turned to face him. "That's our big news... I love Cassandra very much and that's the reason we've brought you kids together. We wanted to tell you that we intend to be wed by the end of next month."

"Hell no! Dad, no way! I am not having that... that... no! I will not have her as my step-sister!" Brian shook his head vehemently. "I'm not going to the fucking wedding."

"You don't have much of a choice," Kevin snarled.

"Then disown me, because I'm not going!" Brian stormed out of the house, slamming the door as hard as possible.

The entire group jumped at the sharp slam sending deep vibrations down the length of their spinal cords. Howie, Nick, and Teagan exchanged nervous looks. Kevin sighed with disappointment, leaning to whisper something privately in Cassandra's ear. His soon-to-be-wife allowed her chin to fall, doing her best to maintain a strong composure. Kevin felt his anger flare. He never had been able to understand such the swift change in his son's demeanor. He had turned so hateful within a few short months.

"Um... Congratulations, Dad. Congratulations, Cassandra. Seems to be some pretty exciting news," Alex volunteered, clearing his throat.

"Thanks, son. At least someone can see how great this can be," Kevin replied, giving Alex a one armed hug.

"It will mean you boys moving into this house. You'll each have your own room. Your Dad even gets to have his recording studio upstairs. Actually, we're going to start moving you in next week. You'll be transferred to Tartan. I know it's a big shift, but Kevin reminded me that your friends go there... So, it'll be okay, right?" Cassandra fumbled, trying to find the silver lining.

"Yeah," Alex agreed, deciding it was best not to make a worst-case scenario out of the entire proceedings. He had seen this union coming sub-consciously. He could only follow through and think of the best situation. Like, he would be able to attend school with his best friend, Howie.

"That's my boy," Kevin gave a small smile, ruffling Alex's locks. "You've always been more positive--"

"Are we done, here?" Oriana interrupted, unable to take much more of the scene unfolding. She had fallen into almost a catatonic state, unable to believe the words flowing from her mother's lips. Marriage? Her heart began to throb with a raw pain, remembering her mother's other boyfriends. The repeated brutal tortures and countless nights of breaking into her room for unspeakable and lustful needs. Her stomach cramped in fear, realizing that Kevin would very likely turn into the very same beast. Now her mother was releasing the entire beast. She would be dead within a month of their blessed union.

Cassandra frowned at her daughter's tone. "Oriana, aren't you even happy for us? We're going to have a big family here now, just like you always wanted--"

"We've always had a big family. You, me, Moms, and my Gabby..." Oriana trailed, slowly starting to recede from the large family room. She could already feel the dangerous tears against her murky eyes. She was terrified. Her throat closed against itself as she struggled to speak, "But congratulations..."

"Oriana--"

"I've got to go," Oriana turned around and downstairs.

"Oh, Riana!" Teagan sighed softly with empathy, immediately moving to find her best friend. Brian would have to wait.

"Well, enjoy the party..." Cassandra trailed softly to the others, trying not to act hurt by the terribly doomed news that was supposed to created a happy family. She turned into Kevin's embrace, disappearing into yet another room.

"Damn..." Alex trailed in confusion, turning to gaze at Howie. "What the Hell just happened?"

"As it's been said by many kids... the shit has just hit the fan," Howie replied, feeling his heart ache for Oriana.

"Well, I kind of made that assumption... But, Oriana... I mean... She looked like a deer caught in headlights. Aren't you with her or something?" Alex immediately fumbled, more concerned about the mysterious girl than his brother. Brian was known to throw temper-tantrums. He always came around.

"No, we're just friends at the moment."

"But you want to get with her?"

"Yeah, I do."

"Then go check on her, I'll show Alex around?" Nick volunteered.

"She's going to talk to Major T, not me--"

"Weren't you telling me about how she turned you down because she didn't know you real well... Her best friend was saying something about not trusting guys in whole or something?" Alex trailed, struggling to remember the late-night conversations with his friend. He could already tell that Howie cared very much for the fragile girl, so it was his duty to help.

"I did, but how is she going to let me console her if she doesn't trust guys?" Howie asked in confusion.

"You bought her those wicked ass presents, just go downstairs and tell her that you're here to talk as a friend... Then give her the gifts. Good way to weasels yourself in there after her friend's done... Give her more support or something?" Alex tried wisely.

"I guess that could work. I just don't want to screw things up more than what they are," Howie sighed heavily, running a hand through his wild curls.

"Can't hurt to try," Nick offered.

"True. Alright, I'll do it. Just give me a minute to get her gifts and stuff. She needs to talk to Teagan first anyway."

"Sounds like a plan," Alex replied with a smile, realizing his life as he knew it would be changing drastically.