- Text Size +
Chapter Fifteen: Kyle’s Surprise

*The Next Day*


Kyle walked into Nikki’s room at 11:30 to find Ashley lying in bed still asleep. He went and crawled into bed with her, and he leaned down and began to gently kiss her neck, as he wraps his arms around her, knowing she loves it when he does that. Feeling Kyle’s kisses Ashley moaned softly and opened her eyes, as she wraps her arms around him.

“Mm Hey baby, what’s with the wakeup call?” She asked, as she smiles.

“Its 11:30 and I want you to wake up.” He answered, before placing his lips against hers for a passionate kiss. Once he pulled away he looked into her light brown eyes, as he gently caresses her cheek.

“I’ve got a surprise for you.” Ashley smiled up at him.

“I love your surprises.”

“You get dressed and I’m going to get some things ready so we can leave. Deal?”

“Mm hmm.” He kissed her one last time, and then he got up and left the room. She crawled out of bed and began to decide on what to wear. She soon decided on her Tripp blue stitch skull pants, and a light blue halter-top. She went into the bathroom and got dressed, then she pulled her dark burgundy hair back into a messy pony tale, before putting on some black eyeliner and black mascara. She put her black converse shoes on, and attached some chains to her pants, before going downstairs. Once down there she found Stephanie, John, and Matt there.

“HEY Ashee you look nice this morning!” Stephanie said loudly, so Kyle Nikki, and Greg heard her in the kitchen.

“Hey Stephee-thanks.” She replied, as her friend pulled her into a hug. “Where is Kyle?”

“He’s in the kitchen.”

“Okay.” Ashley started toward the kitchen, but Stephanie pulled her back.

“You can’t go in there.”

“Whhhy?”

“They have stuff in there that you can’t see.” Suddenly Kyle came out of the kitchen.

“Hey sweetheart, you’re looking beautiful as always.” He greeted her, as he went over to her. He kissed her lips gently.

“Ky, baby, what are you up to?”

“I’m going to make you feel better-because I can just see it in your eyes that you’re still not at all happy, and are just hiding it. You’re still hurting over last night and it’s clearly obvious so I’m going to fix that.” He explained. He kissed her once more, then he brought his hand from behind his back and he has a black bandana in it.

“I’m going to need to blindfold you. There’s things you can’t see yet.” He explained, before placing it over Ashley’s eyes and tying it. He took her hand and took her into the kitchen with him where Nikki and Greg had the stuff ready. Nikki carried it outside to Kyle’s car with help from Greg, and Kyle picked Ashley up and cradled her, as he carried her out to the car too. He opened the door to the passenger’s side and placed her in it. He helped her with her seatbelt, and then he shut the door.

“Did you pack everything?” Kyle double-checked with Nikki.

“Yeah, and Greg put blankets in the back seat.”

“Okay thanks.” Nikki nodded her response, and Kyle went around to the driver’s side and got in. He started the engine and drove out of the driveway.

“Kyle?” Ashley asked.

“Yeah baby?”

“Please tell me where you’re taking me, it’s driving me crazy.” Kyle chuckled a bit.

“But then it wouldn’t be a surprise.”

“But” Ashley whined.

“Shhh that’s enough out of you. No peeking we’ll be there in a few minutes.” He replied, as he reaches over and takes her hand into his, and he laced his fingers with hers. 10 minutes later when he finally reached his destination he parked his car and reached over pulling Ashley into his arms. He got out, as he cradles her, and he carried her somewhere and sat her down in what felt like grass.

“Stay right here. I’ll be right back. No peeking.” He explained.

“Okay,” Ashley replied, and he went back to his car. He got out all of the stuff and brought it over to Ashley. He spread out the blanket that Greg had put in the car, and he lifted Ashley and sat her on it. After doing that he set everything up.

“Okay, you can look now.” He said when he had finished. Ashley pulled off the blindfold to see that they’re at the lake, and they’re sitting under a tree. Next to her is a bag full of food and she’s sitting on a blanket. She looked at him curiously.

“I thought you and I should have a picnic this afternoon—just the two of us, and maybe also swim in the lake. What do you think?” Ashley smiled a little bit, causing him to smile, and she crawled into his lap straddling him. He reached over and got something from the bag, and he brought it around in front of her. She looked down to see that it’s a red rose.

“I went to the store earlier today and got you a few things.”

“Oh Kyle, its beautiful,” Ashley gushed, as she takes the rose in her hand and smells it. He smiled a little and kissed her forehead.

“Not as beautiful as you.”

“There’s something else in that bag for you, why don’t you look?” She did as he suggested and reached over for the bag. She opened it up and looked inside to see a velvet box in there. She took it out and looked at him curiously, before opening it up discovering a really beautiful silver bracelet with five little charms on it. They’re little hearts and fairies.

“Ooh Kyle, its pretty!” She said softly, as she looks up at him with tears forming in her eyes. He took the bracelet and helped her put it on.

“Once every month I will give you a new charm to add to it.” She then wrapped her arms tightly around him and rested her head against his shoulder.

“You’re the best boyfriend in the world.”

“Well I’m glad, because you deserve the best.”

“What did you bring me for lunch?” She asked, as she began to look through the bag again.

“Nikki said you liked turkey sandwiches with lettuce, cheese, and mustard. I made you that and I also brought sour cream and onion chips and cheetos. Ashley kissed his cheek and pulled out two bags of sandwiches and the chips.

“Which one is mine?”

“They’re both the same.” Ashley took one of the sandwiches and began to eat it, and he did the same with his. As soon as they finished eating he put the trash in the bag.

“Want to go swimming?”

“Ky, I don’t have my bathing suit.”

“Its okay.” I raised my eyebrow up at him.

“I saw you in your bra yesterday when we were making out, what’s the big deal if you swim in it?”

“This is a public lake baby,” Ashley laughed.

“No one ever comes here. I come here every now and then to think. That’s why I brought you here, so we could be completely alone.” Ashley didn’t reply she only wrapped her arms around his neck, and he leaned down and captured her lips with his in a passionate kiss. She moaned softly and returned it, as she snakes her tongue into his mouth. He took a hold of the hem of her shirt and he began to pull it up her body. Once he did he pulled away from their kiss only long enough to pull her shirt up and over her head. He dropped it on the blanket, before gently making her lay back on the blanket and he leaned down and began to blow raspberries on her neck sending her into a fit of laughter.

“Kyle stooooooop that tickles!” She exclaimed as she laughs hysterically.

“Ooh it tickles huh?” He asked, as he didn’t stop.

“Yessssss,”

“Ooh well in that case!” he replied, as he playfully takes her hands into his, and he spread them out from side to side, pinning them to the blanket he laced his fingers with hers and leaned down and began to blow raspberries on her stomach this time, causing her to laugh harder.

“S-S S-TOOOP that T-T TICKLEEEES!” She begged, as she couldn’t stop laughing. When he finally stopped he looked up at her and he chuckled a bit at the look on her face, before leaning down and kissing her lips softly.

“I got you smiling—at least I know my goal was accomplished.” She smiled up at him, before placing her hand to his cheek and pulling his lips down onto hers for a much more intense kiss then before.

“Damn baby…” He moaned between kisses. His kisses soon traveled down to her neck and he kissed her gently there, as she takes a hold of the hem of his shirt and pulled it up his body, and he pulled away looking into her light brown eyes allowing her to pull the shirt over his head. He took it and dropped it on the ground before wrapping his arms around her once more. He again looked into her light brown eyes with so much love in his own as he rakes his fingers through her hair. He lay there watching her for a few minutes, then when he suddenly came back to reality he remembered they were supposed to be going swimming.

“Come on, let’s swim.” He said softly, as he gets up from lying next to her, and he took her hands and helped her up. He kept a hold of her hand as the two of them walked over to the lake. She kneeled down and stuck her foot in the lake seeing if it’s cold or not.

“Is it cold?” Kyle questioned.

“I don’t know, why don’t you tell me.” She answered, as she playfully takes a hold of his foot, causing him to fall into the lake, him screaming the whole way in. Once he came up he was spitting out water, and had a very shocked look on his face. Ashley laughed hysterically at the look on his face, and he looked at her with a raised eyebrow.

“Payback is a bitch, isn’t it baby?”

“Ooh yeah,” He replied, as he takes her foot and pulls her in as well and she screamed in horror on her way in, as she totally wasn’t expecting that. When she came up she too had a shocked look on her face, and it was his turn to laugh.

“Yes, payback is a really big bitch.” He nodded. She smirked and moved closer to him, wrapping her arms around his neck, and she stared into his dark blue eyes.

“Yes well, I guess we’re even then huh?”

“Yup.” He answered, as he rests his forehead against hers. She stared into his eyes for a few minutes.

“Well, I don’t know about you, but going over there just seems a lot more fun!” She said, while pointing to the other side of the lake, before going under water. She pretended to be swimming away, but really grabbed his foot, and she pulled him under water, his eyes growing big on his way in. She came up from under the water smiling evilly, as she waited for him to come up. When he didn’t she raised her eyebrow. When he didn’t come up after 10 seconds she really began to panic.

“Kyle?” She asked. “KYLE!! You can COME UP NOW!!” She demanded, as tears started to form, and she was beginning to get really scared, as a whole two minutes and 10 seconds had gone by and he still didn’t come up.

“BOO!” Kyle exclaimed from behind her, as he jumped up from under the water, and Ashley screamed in horror, sending him into a fit of laughter.

“That was SO not funny! That was SO not funny at all!” She insisted, and he just kept laughing. When he had calmed down he swam over to her and took her into his arms smiling sweetly at her, and she just scowled, as she was pissed. For the first time ever, she was pissed off at him. He noticed the tears streaming down her cheek from earlier, and he became serious.

“Baby…are you crying? I was just playing…”

“Yeah well of course I didn’t know that!” Ashley replied, as even more tears stream down her cheek, and she pushed him away.

“How could you not know that? We were both joking around. You pushed me into the lake, I pulled you in, and then you went under water and pulled me under. We were both playing around.”

“Yeah, well sometimes pranks can go just a LITTLE too far, especially when you don’t make it really clear that you’re just messing around! I REALLY thought that you were drowning Kyle, you didn’t even hint to me that it was just a prank, it seemed real!” Ashley replied, as it was clearly obvious that it really did frighten her a lot.

“I’m sorry sweetheart…I thought you knew I was playing.” He said softly, as he again wrapped her in his arms, and he rested his forehead against hers.

“I’m right here, I’m okay I didn’t drown.” Ashley suddenly smiled, as she couldn’t keep a straight face any longer, and she broke into a fit of laughter. Kyle raised his eyebrow in confusion, and then suddenly caught on that she was just messing with him-again.

“Hahaha I got you! I got you SO good!”

“Shit Ashley that was evil!” He laughed. “You’re pure evil! I thought I was really in trouble.” Ashley laughed again.

“And you AREN’T evil? Those WERE real tears you know, at one point I did believe you were drowning.” He chuckled a bit, and then wrapped his arms around her waist pulling her close once more.

“I guess you’ve met your match huh? I can be just as evil when it comes to pranks.”

“Yeah I guess so,” She smiled up at him, as she was glad to have changed the mood from serious to playful, because she knows how Nikki can be protective of her little brother sometimes, and she respects that. Its her best friends little brother. She knew if they kept making out like that they would’ve gone a little too far and made a huge mistake, because she was getting really into it. Not only would Nikki be extremely pissed, but Ashley and Kyle both were also WAY to young to be dealing with what could happen in result. Ashley wrapped her arms more around him and rested her head against his shoulder.

“Nikki tells me that’s all you ever did to your sister when you were living at home…pull pranks on her constantly.”

“Oh, hell yeah! She was so easy to pull pranks on it was great. I mostly did it for punishment though. When she pissed me off—which was well, all the time I would turn right back around and get her back for it.”

“Give her what she deserves, right?”

“Exactly.” Kyle kissed Ashley’s forehead and pulled away from their hug, and they continued to play games as they swam. They swam for about an hour, then Ashley started to get cold, and it was clearly obvious.

“Cold…” She pouted, as she stood there shivering. Kyle who was a few feet away swam over to her, and he wrapped her in his arms pulling her close.

“Come on, lets get out then.” He said gently, as he led her toward the side of the lake. Once there he helped her out of the water, then he too got out. He took her hand and the two of them went over to the blanket. Ashley sat down on it and sat there shivering.

“Did you bring t-t t-owls?”

“No, sorry sweetie, but here this will work.” He answered, as he grabs part of the blanket and wraps it around her as the two of them sit on it. She scooted closer to him and wrapped it around him too, and they both soon became warm. He lay back on the blanket, causing her to do the same, and he turned on his side to face her, as he wraps his arm around her waist and rests his forehead against hers. He lay there playing with her hair, as he stares into her light brown eyes and he just lay there watching her, as that’s what he loved to do best. He loves everything about her, even when she’s just lying there doing nothing, or not even saying anything he falls more in love with her if that’s possible. The two of them lay there together for a long time like that; not saying a word until she suddenly grew tired and closed her eyes drifting off to sleep. She used to never be able to sleep-she would be tired, but she would refuse and fight against it in fear of having a nightmare and waking up screaming. But it’s different when Kyle is near. Even when he isn’t near, and he’s on her mind it brings a peaceful feeling to her, and sleeping just suddenly doesn’t seem so scary anymore. She never seems to understand why though. That’s the part that confuses her. He lay there watching her sleep for a while, then he suddenly heard the tune ‘Girls and Boys’ by Good Charlotte, and knew right away that its Ashley’s cell phone. He reached into Ashley’s pocket, as she’s in such a deep sleep and didn’t hear it and he looked at the caller ID, and it said ‘Home’ on it.

“Shit…” he whispered, than he looked at Ashley. He thought for a couple of minutes, than he turned on the phone. He’s been dying to have a talk with Ashley’s mother for a while anyway. The thought of calling her has even crossed his mind several times, which is why he had written her home number down. He wants to know how anyone in his or her right mind could ever upset someone like Ashley so much to the point where she is afraid to even go home. How anyone would push her to the point where she would do crazy stuff like walk the whole way from Arizona to Ohio just to get away from them. How anyone could ignore someone as sweet and caring as Ashley-not to mention her OWN mother.

“Hello?” He asked into the phone.

“Who is this??” Came Ashley’s mother’s voice.

“I’m Kyle. A friend of Ashley’s-- Who is this?”

“Ashley’s mother. Let me talk to her.”

“I’m afraid I can’t do that.”

“She’s my daughter, I HAVE a right to talk to her!”

“Why? Just to start another fight with her and upset her some more?”

“I’m not going to start a fight with her, I just want to talk to her.”

“About what?”

“Why is this any of your business?”

“Because, unlike you, I actually care about her and don’t want her to hurt anymore. It took me a long time just to calm her down from the LAST fight you had.”
“Let me talk to her.”

“I told you, I couldn’t do that. She doesn’t want to talk to you anyway.”

“WHY wouldn’t she want to talk to me?? Who are you? You probably kidnapped her and are holding her against her will or something!”

“I didn’t KIDNAP her, she came to me! I told you, I’m a friend of hers.”

“That’s bullshit, because I know all of Ashley’s friends, and NONE of them go by the name Kyle.”

“Maybe you don’t know me, because I was a friend from the Internet and she just never TALKED about me. No, I didn’t kidnap her-don’t worry she’s fine. She’s in Ohio with me—I’m not holding her against her will, she WANTS to be here.”

“If she went to you, how could she have gotten there? She doesn’t have any money!”

“She walked here!”

“Oh yeah whatever. From Arizona to Ohio?”

“Yeah, sounds crazy doesn’t it? Well it’s the truth! Feeling unwanted and out of place from your family can make you do extreme things!”

“What do you mean unwanted? She’s wanted here!”

“Oh yeah? Well you all have a funny way of showing it!”

“What’s that supposed to mean??”

“The only reason Ashley ran away in the first place was because she felt so unwanted and out of place there! When was the last time you paid attention to your daughter, Mrs. Allen?”

“Well—“

“Eight years old!” Kyle interrupted before she could answer. “You took her to see Santa Claus in theaters when she was eight years old. She’s changed a lot since then, have you even noticed? Do you know what’s going on in her life? Do you know what she’s feeling? I bet you I know more than you do! When was the last time you ever stopped to listen to what she had to say? I bet if you did, it would surprise you how amazing she is. How could you let yourself shut her out of your life like this? Haven’t you ever stopped to think that she MAYBE just might be trying to reach you but doesn’t know how? Ever stop to think that she just might want to spend time with you? You alone? Maybe you should stop and think about things, because you really don’t know your daughter at all. If you did, you would know that over the past few months she’s felt unwanted, alone, miserable, scared, invisible, and many other things and ever since she lived at home with you she didn’t have anyone to turn to. She only wanted someone to hold her close and tell her everything was all right, and to listen to what she had to say. Someone who would hold her close and tell her they loved her. That someone she wanted was you, but were you ever there with open arms? No! You weren’t! Ashley is an amazing person; she’s the most sweetest and caring person I know. She’s nice to just about anyone who gives her a reason to be. She’s really fun to be around, and I don’t understand how anyone could let that go, especially her mother. If Ashley were my daughter, I wouldn’t let her go for the world. But that’s just me. There are a lot of things your daughter is going through right now, and you don’t even know half of it, because you don’t care. She ran away, because she needed to find a place where someone actually cared, and she found that place. Ashley doesn’t want to talk to you, because every time she does she becomes very miserable, and I’m not about to let that happen again. Even if she were awake right now, I sure as hell wouldn’t let her talk to you.” Kyle said, than he turned off the phone. As soon as he did he looked over at Ashley to find her still lying on the blanket asleep. He put her cell phone back in her pocket where it was before, than he lay down wrapping her in his arms. He lay there watching her sleep for a few minutes, than he brushed some of her hair from her face and leaned down and kissed her lips gently being sure not to wake her up. After doing that he lay back and rested his forehead against hers, and he lay there continuing to watch her as she slept feeling somewhat accomplished. He wants to make all of Ashley’s dreams come true, and he knows one of them is to be close with her mother. He hopes that the guilt trip he just put her on will do its wonders, because then he will have made one of her dreams come true and can concentrate on the others. All he wants is for her to be happy, and if that takes a lifetime to happen, then he’s willing to wait that long.