- Text Size +
Chapter Seventeen: You Don't Know Her

As soon as Nikki, Kyle, and Ashley had gotten downstairs everyone looked at them. They had heard the entire thing because Nikki’s bedroom door was open and they were being kind of loud.

“Steph, come on we’re going to the mall now. Ash needs to clear her mind.”

“Okay.” Ashley wrapped her arms around Kyle and looked into his dark blue eyes as left over tears still stream from her own. He gently wiped them away with his fingers as he leans down and kisses her lips softly, before again looking into her light brown eyes.

“You’re going to be okay,” he promised. “I’ll be here when you get back.”

“Okay.” He kissed her one last time, and then she turned to see Nikki standing at the door waiting, as Stephanie was already outside. She went over to Nikki and Nikki wrapped a protective arm around her as the two of them went outside together shutting the door behind them. They hurried over to the car as they were getting soaked from the rain as it was still pouring. They all got in and Nikki looked at Ashley.

“What do you want to listen to?”

“Good Charlotte.”

“That’s in Kyle’s car…sorry honey…”

“New Found Glory?”

“I do have that.” Nikki nodded, and she pushed play and turned the stereo blaring loud knowing Ashley likes it best that way. Ashley rested her head against the window and stared out at it and she watched the rain. Just watching the rain made her feel a little better but not much. The pain she felt when Kyle had told her to go back home still hurt really bad. She could feel it in her stomach and the pain just won’t go away. Tears rolled down her cheek at the thought of Kyle wanting her to leave. The thought of him not loving her the way she loves him. She needs Kyle to love her she needs that more than anything. But she didn’t want him to tell her. Not unless when he does tell her that he loves her, he really means it. She wants to feel the love he has for her when he holds her close. She wants to be able to look in his eyes and see all his love for her in them. That’s when she wants to hear him say he loves her. Nikki noticed the tears but didn’t say anything. She knows Ashley is hurting and it pained her so much that her best friend was hurting. She wishes there was something she could do.

~*~*~*~


As soon as Nikki’s car had disappeared and was way out of Kyle’s eyesight he went back inside the house where Matt and John were still sitting. Before he shut the door he noticed Nathan hurrying up the front porch with an umbrella over his head. Kyle waited for him to go into the house, and as soon as he did he shut the door behind him.

“Hey Nathan what are you doing here?” Kyle asked curiously.

“I was bored and just thought Id come over to see what you all were up to.”

“Oh.”

“Where are the girls?” Nathan asked curiously.

“They went to the mall. They thought they would have a girls night out since Greg took Seth and Nikki had nothing to do, and Ashley needed to clear her mind.”

“Ah I see.” Kyle went back to his spot on the floor where he had left the laptop and he sat down pulling it back into his lap. He un minimized the Backstreet Boys website he’s on and continued what he was doing.

“You know…Nikki asked you a good question earlier that’s been making me wonder too. Why HAVE you been borrowing her laptop lately? What have you been doing? Cause I know you don’t have an e-mail that was a lie when you told Ashley you were checking it. You’ve been very secretive lately.” Matt interrogated Kyle. Kyle looked up at him.

“Nothing,” Kyle answered, while shaking his head, and he looked back down at the website.

“Kyle…”

“Its nothing I swear.” Matt only continued to look at Kyle not believing that for a second.

“Yeah okay whatever.” Kyle sighed and looked at Matt. He looked at him for a couple of minutes before answering his question.

“Okay, okay fine… yeah I have been up to something lately. I’m working on a surprise for Ashley.”

“What kind of surprise?” John asked curiously.

“I’ve been looking on all kinds of Backstreet Boys websites lately. I’m trying to find them… One of her biggest dreams are to meet them, give them all a hug and tell them how much they’ve helped her. It’s really important; you can tell it is just by looking into her eyes when she talks about them, and they really do help her. They’re always there for her when she needs them, and they calm her down really easily I’ve witnessed it. I want to be the one to make it happen for her. I know it’s an extreme thing but if I keep trying I think I can find them. They aren’t on tour right now so its really hard its not like I can just look up their tour dates and see where they’re, but I’m hoping to find something.”

“Wow—that’s really cool of you Ky…” Matt said, while looking at Kyle with a small smile on his face. Kyle nodded his response.

“I’ll do anything to make her happy.” Matt sat there watching Kyle as he goes back to looking at websites. He thought for a couple of minutes, then he suddenly again broke the silence in the room.

“You love her Ky…don’t you?” Kyle again looked at Matt. He looked at him for a couple seconds hesitating on his answer, and then he nodded.

“Yeah, I do.”

“Have you told her?”

“Not yet…I’m waiting for the right time.”


~*~*~*~*~


As soon as Ashley, Stephanie, and Nikki arrived at the mall they went inside and looked around.

“Where should we go first?” Stephanie asked curiously, as she looks around at all of the many different stores.

“I don’t know. Where do you want to go?”

“Anywhere is fine.” Stephanie and Nikki both looked at Ashley, and Ashley shrugged her shoulders. It was clearly obvious that she was still a little upset.

“Hmm…” Nikki thought. They began to walk around looking at the stores as they passed them by when suddenly they came across the tattoo store.

“Ooh lets go in there!” Stephanie said, while grabbing both of her friends by the arms and pulling them in there.

“What tattoo are you planning on getting?” Nikki questioned, as they waited to be assisted.

“A flaming blue rose with my siblings names ‘Natalie’, ‘Justin’, and ‘Brooke’ on the petals.”

“Ohh cool.” Nikki grinned. Once Stephanie got her turn Nikki and Ashley stuck by her side for support. Once the tattoo artist finished she had her new tattoo on her right shoulder.

“Wow Stephee that’s really neat!” Ashley exclaimed, as she and Nikki examined her tattoo as they now stand outside the tattoo store. Stephanie beamed proudly. She has wanted this tattoo for sometime.

“Where to next?” Stephanie asked. The three girls looked around for a few minutes, until Nikki suddenly spotted Lane Bryant.

“Lets go to Lane Bryant,” She answered, as she leads Ashley and Stephanie into the store. Nikki and Stephanie immediately found clothes they liked and began looking at them, trying them on and asking for each other’s opinions, but Ashley wanted nothing to do with it. None of the clothes interested her at the moment. She loves Lane Bryant but today it didn’t seem to interest her. She sat in a chair and watched her friends until they finished and had brought what clothes they had wanted. As they were walking through the mall looking for another store to go into they suddenly came across the food court.

“Ohh those ice creams cones look really good!” Stephanie announced, as she watched a kid walk by with a strawberry ice cream cone from dairy queen.

“Lets get some,” Nikki replied.

“Okay,” Stephanie replied, and the three of us stood in line.

“Ashee do you want any?” Nikki asked.

“Don’t have money.”

“That’s okay its on me.”

“Nikki…”

“Your job interview is next week. I managed to talk my boss into giving you a chance.”

“Okay…but if I get the job as soon as I receive my first pay check it goes straight to you!” Nikki didn’t reply she only wrapped her arm around Ashley’s shoulders and pulled her close.

“Cheer up Ashley please? You’re making me sad.” Ashley didn’t reply she only rested her head against Nikki’s shoulder.

“Now what kind of ice cream do you want?”

“An orange Julius.”

“Okay.” As soon as it was their turn in line they ordered their ice cream, then they went looking for a table. As soon as they found one they sat down.

“Ashee what’s bothering you?” Stephanie asked, as she noticed Ashley was still upset. “Its not still about earlier is it?” Ashley shrugged her shoulders.

“I think it is,” Nikki replied.

“I just can’t get what Kyle said to me to go away… you know when he told me to go home.” Ashley replied, as a single tear rolls down her cheek.

“Oh honey you know he didn’t mean it.” Nikki replied, as she sets her blizzard down on the table and hugs Ashley.

“I know that’s what he said, but you don’t understand. Him telling me that scared me more then anything the thought of him hating me and wanting me to go home scares me. I need for him to love me it would kill me more then anything if he didn’t. You and him both are the only things that make me happy and I don’t want to lose that.” Ashley explained, while crying now.

“You aren’t going to lose us. Ashee you’re my best friend and I’m always going to be here for you I love you. You make me happy just as much as I do to you and nothing will ever change that. I promise.” Nikki reassured her. She grabbed a napkin and dried Ashley’s tears.

“Now as for Kyle, no one knows my brother as much as I do and I can assure you that you mean a great deal to him. He may be an ass face and say things he doesn’t mean sometimes, but I know you mean the world to him okay? Don’t you ever forget that.”

“Kay…” Nikki looked at Ashley for a couple of minutes, than she again hugged her. When she finally calmed down Nikki pulled away.

“Now cheer up before you make ME cry!” Nikki said, and playfully pushed Ashley. Ashley smiled a little bit and pushed Nikki back.

“Its good to show emotion once in a while—maybe if you didn’t keep it all in you wouldn’t be so angry all the time.”

“Yeah well I hate showing emotion.”

“Yes we know,” Stephanie replied.

“Except anger—I’ll express that with no problem.”

“Yeah we know that one too,” Stephanie laughed.

~*~*~*~*~

“Lets go outside and play basketball,” Nathan who is bored requested.

“In the rain?” John laughed.

“Yeah why not?”

“Three words for you Nathan: Lightning is dangerous!” Matt replied.

“Yeah well so is being on the Internet but that doesn’t stop Kyle.”

“Love will do crazy things to you sometimes.” John laughed.

“Yup. If I get struck by lightning I can tell Ashley it was all for her.” Kyle joked. Nathan rolled his eyes, obviously sickened by the way Kyle can’t stop talking or thinking about Ashley.

“Well then if you all won’t go outside then lets play poker.”

“I don’t wanna.” Matt replied, as he yawned sleepily. “I’m tired.”

“John what about you?”

“Its not fun with just two people.”

“Kyle?”

“I’m busy.” Nathan sighed in frustration.

“Can you not take a break?”

“This is really important Nate. If I can find these guys and get them to agree to meet Ashley she’ll finally be happy. That’s my main goal right now—to make her happy.”

“Are you kidding me? NOTHING can make the spoiled little bitch happy! Seriously she acts like she’s two!” Nathan snapped, as he couldn’t take it anymore.

“What’s gotten into you?” Matt asked Nathan, as he looks at him with a slightly pissed off expression on his face.

“I’m sick of it! Ever since she moved in with you guys everything has been about her! Even when she’s not around all you do is talk about her! If we went one day where everyone’s life didn’t revolve around her I think I might fall down dead!”

“You’re just jealous because she likes everyone but you! You just hate her because she pulled one harmless prank on you!” John replied.

“She doesn’t only hate me! She hates Greg too!”

“At least she can get a long with him better.” Kyle replied.

“Whatever Kyle you’re wasting your time. She’s a spoiled little bitch and nothing makes her happy.”

“DON’T talk about her like that you don’t know her!” Kyle snapped, as he was now becoming pissed.

“I don’t have to know her! I don’t have to get to know her to know that shes a mellow dramatic bitch who can NEVER be happy!”

“She’s SUFFERING through depression, obviously you don’t understand what that’s like! I know that she just needs to feel loved and cared for and in time she will be happy! She’s spent so many years alone and you don’t understand what that’s like! I do because unlike you I listen to her! And unlike you, I know what its like to feel neglected and unappreciated by a parent!”

“Whatever. You’re making the biggest mistake of your life. Don’t come crying to me when you find out that she’s just using you.” Nathan replied, than he got up, grabbed his umbrella and left the house slamming the door behind him. Kyle sighed in frustration and looked at Matt, and Matt only sighed.

“Ignore him—He’s just being jealous.”

“Yeah well that worries me. He went after Ash once what are the chances that he does it again? I was there to protect her that time what if she’s not that lucky the second time around? She’s so sweet and innocent…she wouldn’t know how to fight back.” Matt shrugged not really knowing what to say.