- Text Size +
Going Camping - Chapter 3

" Nick what did I tell you?" Kevin argued with me, " I told you that you couldnīt play with the Game boy and that you would end up sick, didnīt I?" If I have to listen to one more " I told you so" I will jump out off this cliff, I surely will. Also it is not fair to hit a man when he is down on his knees.


" Kev, lay off him," Brian says tiredly, as he lay an arm around my shoulders," Come on Frack, you think you feel well enough to go back into the car?" His voice is soft.


Even if my whole body is screaming NOOO CAR, and I donīt ever again wanna set a foot in one, I still oblige and taking a small advantage of the situation I lean on him,mumbling weakly, " I..I..ca..can..tr..try."


He looks at me, with compassion, " I know.But it was a stupid thing to play when you know that you end up carsick."


Yeah I know. Believe me, I know. Giving him my hurt puppy dog expression I try to get out off another scolding. Itīs enough that Kevin have yelled at me most of the time, I donīt need Brian doing the same. Frankly I donīt think I can stomach it since my gut is still churning wildly.


"How is he doing?" Howie asks as he is coming to see if I need anything. He hands me a tissue, " Here you go." Being a bit upset that my "brothers" have an tendency to talk over my head I glare at it, before I accept the gift.


Brian is the one that is answering since Iīm too busy making myself presentable, " Better I think, right Frack?"


" Mhm.." There is no need to open my mouth and push it any further so I nod instead. Being a true ham it feels good to get so much attention. Even Bone shows me an nursing side.


" Man, you finally stopped hurling?" AJ grins." I think I spotted some breastmilk in there." Yuck, this man really knows how to be gross.


" Ewww AJ didnīt have to say that," Howie comments and it looks like he is about to join me.


Shrugging Aj hands me a water bottle, " Thought you might need this," he hands me it and I take a swig.It feels good when the cool liquid runs through my parched lips and Iīm slowly coming back to life.


" If Nick is done we better get going or we wonīt come to the camping ground before midnight." Itīs El Capitain that is making this sour comment. Iīll guess that he is starting to get fed up with "babysitting" me. OK Kevin is generally a pretty nice guy and he has a really warm heart, itīs just that when something screws up the schedule, like say me, he gets nervous and then he gets agitated and upset and in the end yells at me. That is just like Kevin is and I still love him for it!


Brian gives his cousin a hard look before he turns back to me, " Listen Frack, I trade places with you," he opens the cardoor to the front, " You sit here."


As I obey him, YUP I can obey orders too..especially if they are to my favor, I give him one of my most grateful smiles. By the looks my days in a cramped up space is finally over..at least for this time. As I have closed my eyes and leant my head back against the headrest I feel someone nudging at my arm. Opening one eye I notice that it is Kev staring at me.


" Here," he says and hands me a black plastic bag, you know the ones that you have when you pick up doggy poo.


A bit surprise I accept it, "What is that for?"


" In case you get sick again," there is a sigh and then he says tiredly, " Donīt think I am going to stop again."


I glare at him. So much for being concerned. As I am about to sneer something back he gives me a smile and says, " Just kidding..if you feel sick just let me know and I stop." Patting me on my head he continue, " The bag is in case you wonīt make it."


I shudder. Heaven forbid.


After making his speech he starts the car and I am on my way again. This time it is much more comfortable and I canīt help but grin when I here the argument in the back where they are complaining that there are too little space for the legs.


Sometimes sickeness pays off!


*************************************************


" Kevin!" I am the only one up since everybody in the backseat have fallen asleep and I feel lonley. I might just as well try to get into an conversation with my older brother. That is not easy since Kev is usually rather hard to get into life.


No comment. Silence. Itīs clear that he isnīt as hot as I am on the idea of talking.


" Keeev..Kevy." I really wants his attention and calling him Kevy usually does the trick. He hates that nickname about as much as I do with Nicky. And that is quite a bit.


" Yes, what is it? You feel sick or something?"


" No."


" Then shut up for a while will you," he sneers.


Ouch, no need to be so touchy. I stare at him as he is looking at the road, instensivly. A bit hurt I mutter, " You donīt have to sound so pissed at me."


"Ok," his tone is a bit softer now, " Kaos, what do you want?"


" How much further are we going to go?" I ask tiredly. This is starting to get really tiredsome and all I wanna do is get out of this vehicle and stretch my legs and grab a bit to eat. Yes I know, itīs strange but whenever I have been sick I often get incredible hungry when I feel better again.


" I donīt know," he sighs, no doubt tired of hearing me ask the same question every ten minutes.


" But how long did they say the drive would take?" I whine since I cant understand that we have driven for close to six hours now and according to the map we are not even close to the camping ground yet. It will be midnight before we reach there.


The speed limit is very low and since there are so many mountains there is the effect that if we round one mountain it takes roughly half an hour before we have crossed it to the other side. This and the fact that we have two canoes on the roof results in that we cant go very fast at all, beside the roads are very curvy and we are driving pretty high up. Sometimes I am more than gratefukl that Brian is asleep in the backseat since he would pass out from fear if he saw what roads we are crossing. Especially when we met that lorry and almost was thrown off the road. Even Kevin, who is usually very calm in all situation looked like he was about to faint and that is NOT good since he is the driver!


Hearing me ask that question Kev is ready to blow a fuse. I can tell that by that telltale sign that his vein is throbbing on the side of his neck.


" Would you stop asking me THAT all the time!" he barks and I jerk. Kevin usually dont raise his voice in the way he did just now.


" Sorry, " I mutter and then stare out of the window. This is my way to show that I feel hurt and sad. I usually withdrawn and get quiet. Itīs a great way to plant guilt into someone. Works like a charm. And I wait until Kevin will crawl back to the cross.


" Eh.." there are regrets in his voice, " EH..actually I didnīt mean to be so harsh." He says as he nudges my arm, " Youīre ok?"


I shrug. I am still not ready to forgive him and I wanna play this guilt game a bit longer.


" Listen," he sighs, "Iīm maybe acting a bit hard but you know it is a long drive and I really wanna get there before it is late." he looks at me, " You sure that youīre ok?" There are doubt in his eyes.


" Yeah,"


" Ok then...and the answer to your question is that we have atleast 5 more hours to go before we are at our starting point."


I moan. There are NO chance whatsoever that I can be seated, jerking around in this stuffed up car that long.My legs itch and I feel the desperate need to stand up and walk around. Or jump out off the cliff. Whatever comes first!


" I know Kaos." He frowns, " I am tired too, but you have to tough it out."


I sigh and close my eyes. Time for a nap again.