- Text Size +
Finals week had finally arrived and was in full swing. Lorena couldn't wait to be done with her freshman year of college. She needed to get away from her roommate and the pressures of college. The thing she wanted the most to get away from was her memories of Nick and their time together, but they flooded into her mind with every free moment.
Memories of their last night together surfaced when she least needed them to, when she was about to go to sleep. She would run scenarios through her head about what more could have happened that night and how Nick could have made everything all right at the elevator. She would imagine that things had gone okay and that they were still together. When she thought that she would finally get to sleep, she would run the memory through her mind once more and sleep would never come.

Lorena had to find a way to get some sleep or her finals would become more difficult than she needed them to be. Standing up in the dark room, she sought out her roommate's sleeping pills. Carefully opening the bottle, she managed to squirm a few out. Throwing back her head, she easily swallowed the pills and found her way back to the bed that awaited her.

*****

Ever since he had read that damn book Discovering Your Past Lives, his nights and some of his days had been flooded with memories of his past lives. He laughed at himself as he remembered doubting past lives could even exist. Now he knew the truth; the biggest challenge to him now was getting Lorena back in his life. He grabbed his suitcase he had packed the night before and left for the airport. He, after all, had a very early flight to catch.

*****

She was stirring a pot full of something that smelled delicious. Nicole had gone into town to get the final ingredients for the potion they had been working on earlier. Daylight was beginning to fade fast and she dreaded Nicole being out that late, ever since...

There was a knock on the door. Putting down her spoon, she advanced towards the door to open it. There was a squeaking noise as the door opened. A bit startled, she was taken aback at the face she stood looking at...

"LORENA!" The yell of the voice pulled her from her dream and her first night of sleep in a long time.

Groggy and tired, Lorena yelled back, "What!?"

"You have a visitor, and it's not polite to keep people waiting," her roommate said to her. Adding quietly as she went to the door, "You'll never guess who's 'popped' in for a visit."

Wiping the sleep out of her eyes, she advanced towards the door, grousing about the way she was woken up. Pure shock was apparent on her face when she laid her eyes on the person standing in the doorway.

Standing in the doorway with one dozen blue roses and a pleading look on his face was Nick. "Please hear me out."

"You said I was nothing more then an obsessive, delusional fan."

"Don't you understand? Mandy was right there. She was threatening you. I could never live with myself if you had gotten injured; I wouldn't be able to know I caused you pain."

"You've caused me plenty of pain. Weren't you supposed to break up with Mandy?" She started to close the door, but Nick caught it and pushed it open all the way.

"Lorena, what you said about past-life memories is true. I've been having more of them and more vivid ones lately. You have to try to accept my apology because I love you and I know I always have loved you, in this life and the last. Will you please let me talk to you?"

Uncertain in her mind what to do, she opened the door and let Nick enter her room. She walked further into the room and sat on her bed and motioned for Nick to take a seat on her desk chair.

Taking a deep breath, Nick started in. "I felt it was pointless to break up with her before the tour was over. We would be seeing each other daily for a few months and... and, well I was selfish for thinking of only my comfort for the rest of the tour. I read books on past lives, and read more books. What you told me I couldn't get out of my mind. You were right, you know. I already said, that didn't I? I ended it, though, after the tour was over. We are now apart; you can read it on many of the fansites out there now. Headlines across the web, 'Nick and Mandy have broken up'." Starting to get uneasy because of the lack of response on Lorena's part, he chuckled.

Yawning and rubbing her eyes once more, Lorena finally decided to speak. "Nick, it hurt. What you said hurt me terribly. I could have handled myself with Mandy, but what you said about me hurt. I expected myself to kick you to the curb if I ever saw you again. In fact, I told myself that if you ever showed up I would do just that."

"Lorena, I'm so..."

"I'm not done, Nick. Seeing you made me remember how it felt to be with you, and I knew I couldn't really get rid of you, and if I did I would run after you. After hearing you say the words, I knew I felt them too. I can't be mad at you anymore for what you said or did; I forgive you, and I love you too. Now will you leave me alone?" she asked him. His face showed a hurt he never thought he could feel. She was rejecting him anyway. She went on. "I have a shower to get to and finals to take; then we can talk more."

Standing up, she grabbed her towel from its spot hanging on the end of her bed and stopped in front of Nick. Leaning over, she whispered, "I'll be right back," and she kissed him.