- Text Size +
Alexander held Selina close and felt her drifting in and out of a fitful sleep, he knew something had to be done and he would deal with that right now. Sliding out from under her he placed her cloak over her body covering it as he quickly dressed. He lifted her into his arms and opened the door.
“ Milord.” He heard the guard say.
“ Has anyone been here?”
“ Other than Sir Howard, no one sire.” He said.
“ Really? I will have to speak to my old friend.” Alexander said as he ascended the stairs. He first stopped in his quarters where he lay Selina’s sleeping form on the bed. He pulled the covers up and kissed her head.
“ I shall return.” He whispered. He then stood and left the room.
“ Summon Sir Howard, tell him I want him in the main chambers in five minuets.” He said to a young guard. The guard nodded and rushed off on his task.
“ Milord is there something wrong?” Kevin asked.
“ Seems someone within my castle walls has upset Selina and I intend on finding out who that scoundrel is and ridding him of his head.”
“ Really now Milord? Are you entirely sure that Selina had nothing to do with it?” Kevin asked innocently.
“ Selina has always been a very loyal and trust worthy lover. Why would I start questioning her now?”
“ I’ve heard you keep company with whores from time to time milord.”
“ I have been known to have a few.”
“ And mistress Selina is fine with this?” Kevin posed the question. Alexander looked at him and then thought for a moment, maybe it was partly is own fault for what had happened. But even so, someone had taken advantage of her and had upset her.
“ Even if I had been at fault for my Selina’s distress I will not allow any man to take advantage of her sometimes rather naïve nature.”
“ I understand this milord. If you need some assistance in finding this nave that has hurt her I will offer my services.”
“ For now Kevin, I wish you to stay outside my quarters and wait for my return.”
“ Yes milord.” Kevin said heading down the hall. Kevin smiled, this couldn’t be working out more perfectly. He stopped in front of Alexander’s room and looked around. It was right during the change of guard so the halls where empty and would be for several minuets. He slipped into the room unnoticed and looked towards the large bed. He could hear her soft crying from where he stood in the shadows. He knew she hadn’t heard him enter the room as she slid from the bed and pulled on some clothing. He watched as she dressed and then she reached for her cloak.
“ Don’t you ever just leave without that?” He asked from the shadows.
“ Where are you?” She asked turning around. She still couldn’t see him and in some ways that frightened her.
“ I am right here.” He answered stepping from the shadows. She looked at his face and growled.
“ You’re the reason I feel this way. The feeling of betrayal, I didn’t betray him yet I feel as if I did.”
“ Because of one kiss milady? That is strange how one kiss can make you feel that way.”
“ Why are you here?” She hissed.
“ Lord Alexander asked if I’d stand watch over you. I’d rather leave with you.” He said softly.
“ Leave with me?” She asked looking at him. She still couldn’t get into his mind and this bothered her, things would slip out but the important things he’d keep hidden behind the dark wall in his mind. Even as evil as Alexander was his mind wasn’t as dark as this mans.
“ Well of course.” Kevin said looking into her confused eyes.
“ To where?”
“ To where ever I say. And don’t bother to use your telepathic abilities because you’ll be dead before anyone can get to you if you even try.” Kevin said pulling his sword.
“ So I could just scream.”
“ Not likely.” Kevin said looking at her. “ You want this war to end as much as the rebels do.”
“ Not really, if this war pleases Alexander then it pleases me.” She said as Kevin grabbed her arms and tied her wrists together.
“ Now we leave.”
“ How? The guards will notice us leaving out the front gates.”
“ A little birdie told me about some secret passages around here. How about we use those.” Kevin said shoving her forward. Touching the wall it slid aside revealing a stairway. Selina closed her eyes and sighed. She could feel the uncertainty in Kevin’s actions, but she knew if she reached her powers out further her link with Alexander would be triggered.
“ I said don’t.”
“ How?”
“ Don’t ask. Just don’t.” Kevin said making her walk down the stairs. The stairs led to a dark hallway, they followed it to another wall, Kevin pulled down on the torch and the wall slid aside showing the outside of the castle. The forest that was just beyond was his safe haven. Selina looked over her shoulder at him and then up at the castle.
“ He’ll kill you to get me back.”
“ He’ll end the war to get you back.”
“ Don’t bet on that.” Selina said. Kevin shoved her forward as they walked into the mist and seemed to disappear.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“ What where you thinking?” Alexander asked looking at his friend.
“ Nothing milord.” Howard answered. He knelt there before his master, an angry red gash marring his normally beautiful face.
“ You had to be thinking something to try this.” Alexander said stalking around his friend.
“ To be honest milord?”
“ You best be or you’re going to be joining Aaron in a matching cell.”
“ I thought I’d rally your troops and ready them for the climax of the war.”
“ You don’t know when that is. And you are to consult me on matters of that importance. You know this Howard.”
“ Yes milord.”
“ For your insolence you will spend time in dungeon.”
“ Milord it was an error in judgment does it warrant such a harsh punishment?”
“ I believe it does. Guards take him away. When I’ve calmed I will come and decide a more suiting punishment for one such traitor.” Alexander said looking at Howard. Howard’s eyes grew wide at the realization that his friend knew his secret.
“ You knew?”
“ I have eyes and ears everywhere Howard, I have loyal followers. Do you really believe that they would face my wrath following you? Take him away.”
“ I will have what I want Alexander. You will die before the next full moon. And your lady will be mine.” Howard screamed as he was dragged from the room.
“ Not likely old friend.” Alexander said sitting upon his throne. He looked around the room; he had a sudden uneasy feeling. Standing he headed down the hallway towards his chambers. Shoving open the partially open door he saw that Selina and Kevin both where gone. Selina’s cloak lay at the end of the bed where he had placed it, yet she was gone. Something was not right.
“ GUARDS!” Alexander shouted.
“ Milord?” Several answered entering the chambers.
“ Someone has taken Mistress Selina. Comb the entire castle leave no room empty. If she’s not within the castle walls come to me.”
“ Yes milord.” They said bowing and leaving him alone.
“ Selina, where are you?” Alexander said closing his eyes. He had been around Selina enough to know his link with her was strong and if she was nearby he could feel her as much as she could feel him, something was blocking him.
“ Kevin.” Alexander growled. Now he had two traitors to contend with but which of them was willing to end his life, Howard or Kevin? That was the dilemma he would have to face alone. Alexander’s angry scream echoed threw the halls, each of the guards picked up there pace in the hunt for the missing woman.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Selina looked up; it was as if she could hear Alexander’s cry all the way out in the woods.
“ He knows I am gone.” She smiled evilly at Kevin.
“ That means nothing, he knows nothing of where the rebels hide, and your link with him will begin to weaken the further into the forest we go.” Kevin said as they walked along. Selina knew he was right, if they went any further she would no longer feel Alexander, that would be the first time in a long time that her link with him had been severed. Last time it had happened he was away in another kingdom. She looked up at him; he had put his sword away so she knew if she started to run she’d have a chance. Taking that chance she kicked him in the leg and then took off back towards the castle. Kevin regained his composer and tore off after her, being tall had its advantages as he caught up with her very quickly. Tackling her to the ground he pinned her arms above her head.
“ Bastard release me.” She growled as she kicked and trashed beneath him. Kevin doubled up his fist and punched her hard, knocking her unconscious. Once she went limp he sat there for a moment to catch his breath. He inspected the ropes that held her wrists to be sure they weren’t cutting into her delicate skin. He looked at her hand and noticed the single band she wore on her left hand.
” So it’s not mistress Selina, it’s Lady Selina. You’re his wife.” Kevin said with a touch of jealousy in his voice. He inspected the blue and black band she wore and remembered seeing one identical to it on Alexander’s left hand. He hadn’t paid it much attention due to the fact Alexander seemed to have a lot of jewelry. He untied her and lifted her and then tied her arms behind her. He then took another piece of rope he had and tied her legs, lifting her over his shoulder he started walking again. He knew it was still several miles before he’d arrive at the camp but this time she’d not make much of a fuss.