- Text Size +
Chapter Six

Time went by and the Chemo sessions did not get any easier for her. Before she knew it, it was Olympic time. She sighed.

Anne-Marie, Alex, Brian, Kevin and Nick had come by to tell her good bye and to let her know that they would be thinking of her.

She was greatful that her friends were so good to her. Still, she was depressed about not going out onto the floor with team USA and going for a medal.

Anita turned on the tv to watch day one of the woman's competiton. Longingly, she watched her friends compete and wished she could be there with them.

By the time the competion was over for the night, the USA was in second place. Anita turned the tv off and lay back against the hoptile bed thinking. After so many years of working as hard as she could and this happened. She felt bitter.

By the time she was 13 she hardely attented a public school Her schedual had her attend gym from 7 am until 10:30. Then, when not traveling for a meet, she went to school from 11-2 and rested during the afternoon doing home work, eating a light meal, and taking a nap. Then she would go to therapy which would sometimes hurt but it was very refreshing and good for her.

At 5 it was back to the gymn until 9:30. Everyday that was how her schedual was in hopes of making an Olympic team.

She closed her eyes picturing the last few years. The thrill of competing and winning. Suddenly she knew what she had to do.

She had to fight her cancer and get better. She didn't care that the Olympics were only once every four years. She didn't care if she would be 21 by the next games. She was going to do it. She was going to compete in the next Olympics and win gold.

She began to plan when her phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Hey Anita."

"Hey Nick how are you?"

"I'm fine sweetie how are you doing?"

"Ok, I guess." She sighed. "So how is it Nick, you having a great time?"

"Yeah, I really wish that you could be here though." He answered truthfully.

"I wish I could be there too. Hey isn't it 2 am where you are?"

"Yeah so?"

"Why are you calling so late?"

"Cuz it's a good time for you and I wanted to see how you are."

"As good as can be expected I guess."

"Don't worry sweetie, you are gonna be ok."

"I'm gonna fight this and I do not plan on losing either."

"Thats the spirit." Nick told her happy to hear her fighting words.

"Well it's late Nick. I'll let you go. Good luck tomorrow."

"Thanks Anita, I'll be thinking about you."

They hung up and Anita sat back thinking. Yes Nick was someone who could help her achieve her dreams.

She decied that when her friends came back, that she would tell them her plans. With a smile on lips for the first time in a long time, she fell asleep.