- Text Size +
Chapter Seven

Anita was excited. Then men's team had taken the silver medal and so had the womans team. She was so proud of her friends that she cried when the winners were announced on their days.

To many people, it might have seemed cheesy but Anita didn't care. She was proud to be an American and she was proud of her country for doing well.

For a brief moment, Anita had shut her eyes and she was able to picture herself there with the others on the medal stand.

For one brief moment, Anita was an Olympian.

Now it was the day of the womans all around competition. She sat in her bed feeling weak from the chemo treatments that she had earlier.

All morning after her chemo, she had thrown up and felt like dying. She almost felt like just giving up but she knew if she wanted to get her goals that she would have to fight.

Her coach always said that once you set goals for yourself you work towards them and let nothing come in your way. One your goals were set you worked for them until you reached them.

Anita sighed. This was going to be a lot harder than she thought. She watched Ann-Marie get ready. She would be starting on the uneven bars. It was Anita's favorite place to start.

The competition went on and Anita was stunned to see Ann-Marie was very close to the top. Her heart began to pound. Ann-Marie had a very good chance to get a medal. Anita held her breath, all Ann-Marie needed was a 9.65 on vault to win the gold medal.

Anita leaned closer to the tv holding her breath. Ann-Marie took off towards the vaulting table flying as fast as she could. Anita bit her lip scared. Ann-Marie hit the springboard with a lot of power. She flipped once twisted twice and landed hard causing a big jump.

Anita sighed. While it was a good vault, it could have been so much better. The score flashed. It was an 9.575. Anita sighed. Ann-Marie still had one more vault. If she wanted gold, she was really going to have to hit it.

Ann-Marie ran once again and flew over the horse. Once again she had a hop. Anita bit her lip waiting. The score was a 9.587. Ann-Marie didn't win the gold. But she got silver.

There had only been one American that had won the all around gold in the Olympics. Anita sighed. That had been 20 years ago. America needed another girl to win.

Like many times before, the Russians walked away with yet another gold. Anita flopped back with a sigh. She saw her competitor Tatiana. She was the one who had won the gold.

"It's not fair. I should be there. I could have won!"

A nurse walked in.

"How did your friends do?"

"Ann-Marie got silver and Alex got 5th place."

"Sorry you weren't there to try and win."

"Yeah me too."

The nurse gave her a sympathetic smile. Anita sighed. She hated when people did that to her. It wasn't going to change anything that had happened.

Now more than ever, Anita knew that she had to make a come back. She didn't have a choice.