- Text Size +
The road to smooth journeys are often pathed with shitty holes, such is life

1994

Previous night was a challenge conquered. To wake up early the next morning was an aftermath of so many things. Pulled muscles; remains of lethargy still hanging around in the system for examples. And then there were the little hints of results from sleeping in a hotel room with a broken air-conditioner. Make that sleeping in a hotel room with a broken air-conditioner in a very warm night in June. Well rested they were not. This was the scene I got from the Backstreet Boys this morning.

I checked out the outfits they had chosen to wear today and nodded my approval to myself. Not the most flattering of clothes but they were neat and that was all that mattered. Neat and well presented. I said my silent prayers for the day, which consist of smooth journey, a calm Kevin, a happy Howie and well behaved Brian, AJ and Nick. Those were a lot to ask but I figured I had a lot in my hands, I deserved to ask for more.

“Did you see what they had on our schedule today?” Oh oh, I hope that’s an excited ‘did you see’ and not the frustrated, this is unfair ‘did you see’ Kevin had just said. I have to keep reminding myself that he’s 24, an airhead most of the time. I decided if they got a decent pay for their performances at the end of the month, I’d like to introduce him to some yoga lessons. How can I not worry, knowing that he would be the one to lead the pack when he had a temper the size of Texas?

“Nope. Can’t you just read it out loud?” Brian yawned from his position on the sofa at the end of the room. Nick was next to him, sitting pretzel style with his eyes stuck to the game boy screen in front of him. Now Brian was simply spoilt when it comes to treating Kevin seriously. I guess that was understandable being that they are cousins. Nick, bless the kid, he could be all over the place and we don’t want that, especially not today of all days. I was only too happy to see him unmoving, with his mind actually concentrating on one thing at a time. I’ve learnt that game boy to him is like a bottle of milk to a baby. If he whines, hand him the game boy and you wouldn’t even know he was in the room with you. Whatever it was that he was playing, I wish him all the best and may he proceed to the highest of all levels and be content. Howie for some reason, was still brushing his hair at the same spot I saw him brushing fifteen minutes ago. Sometimes I wish Alex could take care of himself the way Howie did, other times I wish that I could yank that comb off Howie. Alex, my dear boy, was actually finishing up his essay that he promised he would have completed last night. I would like to point out that it wasn’t by choice that he was stuck doing it right now.

“Lets just say we get barely enough to breathe.” That’s overly exaggerating don’t you think? Obviously Kevin didn’t think that as he shoved the piece of paper into his bag, not caring if it was crumpled in the process.

“Alex are you about done? We’re going in ten minutes.” I said, looking over my son. The quick glimpse I got of that piece of paper, looked like he would be more than likely get himself grounded this Friday. I don’t think my son knew the purpose of the existence of erasers.

“You can’t expect me to score in this paper if you keep pushing me to hurry up.” Not to burst your bubble or anything son, but you’re gonna flunk that paper even if I let you hand that in tonight. Note to self: More self discipline Denise or he’ll con you into not doing his homework in the future.

“You’re supposed to finish that last night.”

“You didn’t really expect me to do any kind of homework with the air-con broken, did you? We were sweating like pigs!”

“Yeah, our room reek! Thanks for letting us get ready in your room Denise.” Howie said, still brushing his hair. He’d improved though, he’s brushing the other portion of his hair now.

“Not to mention, someone ate too much beans last night.” Brian pointed out.

“Cut the crap Brian, your feet alone could kill us all.” Oh dear God, Kevin said crap, there goes the innocence of these young boys. And Brian’s dreams to become a minister.

Nick took this moment to look up from his game boy and glanced around, blinking. “Pigs sweat? Really?”

Oh God, please don’t let anyone reply to that. Please for the sake of my sanity, everyone shut up!

“It’s sort of figurative speech Nick.” Great going Howie! Now you stopped brushing that hair!

“What’s figurative?”

“Wait, I thought that’s a metaphor.” Alex honey, shut up!

“What’s a metaphor?”

“Okay kids, lets get moving now, ten minutes up.” I grabbed my keys and headed straight for the elevator, with the boys quickly rushing out behind me.

“So which is it? Figurative or metaphor?” I can do this.

“Is there like, scientific proof that pigs sweat?” I wonder what he’d say if I said ‘when pigs fly’.

“Did you watch in on National Geographic? I love that channel!” And he’s still talking.

“Nick honey, did you lost your game?” He shook his head. “No, I paused it.”

“Well, you might want to play it while you still can, I don’t think you’ll be able to play it once we get the show on the road today.”

“Yeah, I’m a level away from breaking my previous record.”

“Great, good luck on that-”

“If only I could get that master key, I could have skip all the other tasks and go straight to the next level but that would require me to go through the firewall and if I don’t do it the right way, which is difficult, trust me, I’ve tried like a gazillion times, it’ll eat my remaining lives which I have…two more left by the way, which isn’t really that much considering that I still have a few more obstacles to go so I don’t think that’d be the wisest of choice but I could always do the manoeuvre, we have that option once we’re in level 6 you know, which I am on now, but I also don’t want to waste it this early on the game so I-”

First floor, great. Straight to the parking lot where the van is. Dan the driver is already waiting for us. He opened up the back door and I paused and let Brian hopped in first, followed by Howie and then…

“…don’t think that’s a good move either, but I REALLY want to get this right you know? Or else I have to go through all the levels all over again and that will take a LOOONNNGGG time to finish and not to mention, boring cause I’m already good at those levels…”

Oh, still talking I see. I nodded and smile. I should be thankful, he’s cheerful this morning, unlike last night. He was not only whining, he was complaining of a stomach cramp and I was worried sick that he wouldn’t be able to make it today of all days. So Nick talking non stop is really, a good news. No really!

I hopped in last and was met with the glares of my son. Kevin, who was sitting next to Nick, was staring at the kid, wishing that he could punch a hole in that boy’s face but kept his cool. Brian was grinning, I swear everything is funny to Brian. Howie was too busy trying to straighten a crease on his shirt to notice. I groaned inwardly and slumped next to Alex.

“You just have to start it, don’t you?” Alex whispered in my ear. I know, my bad.