- Text Size +
(Authors Note: This story is Inspired by and dedicated to a close friend of mine who doesn't talk.)

Prologue:



“Are you sure Doctor?” Candice questioned over the phone.

“Okay…Thanks. Yeah I will…Okay Bye…” She replied, and she hung up the phone. Just as she did tears streamed down her cheek, as she couldn’t believe the bad news she had just gotten. Hearing the doctor tell her this was like someone ripping her heart out and tearing it into a billion little pieces. She walked over to the table and sat down, immediately burying her face in her hands.

“Honey what’s wrong? What happened?” Brian asked, as he suddenly walked into the kitchen to find his wife in tears and so much concern filled his voice.

“I just got off the phone with Doctor Larson…” Candice answered while sniffling.

“What did he say about Haley?” He asked, as he was now even more concerned and he went and sat in the chair next to Candice taking her hands into his.

“She doesn’t talk…”

“What?” Brian asked, as his heart dropped immediately at what she is telling him.

“He says the reason Haley hasn’t said any of her first words is because she’s mute… he says it might not be permanent. He says she may be able to talk later on in her life, or she might stay this way forever…” Brian looked at his wife as a billion tears streamed down his cheek. He looked into her light blue eyes that were so full of tears for a few minutes, than he placed his hand to her cheek and gently caressed it.

“It’ll be okay…everything will be fine. She’ll be able to talk later in life, I just know it. I have faith in our baby….”

“But what if she doesn’t?” Candice sniffled.

“She will…because I have faith in her. It’ll be okay honey, I just know it.” He reassured her, while pulling her into a hug. He held her close for a few minutes until she calmed down, than he got up and helped her up.

“Come on…lets go to bed.” He said gently, as he began to lead her upstairs to their room and the two of them went to bed.

~*~*~*~


The next day Brian woke up to find Candice not lying next to him, which is very unusual. He lay there thinking for a few minutes then he got up and went down the hall to Haley’s room to find her standing up in her crib waiting patiently for attention. She smiled excitedly once she saw Brian.

“Hey Baby…where is mommy huh?” He asked, while taking the one year old from her crib as soon as he did he found a yellow note taped to the crib. Pulling it off he unfolded it and began to read it.

Hey Brian,

By the time you read this note I will be gone. I’m sorry honey but I can’t stay and raise our baby knowing that she’ll never talk I just can’t handle it. I’m scared you know? I love you so much don’t ever forget that, and I love Haley too. When she gets old enough to understand please tell her mommy loves her very much and it wasn’t her fault. I’m sorry baby…but I had to do this.

~*~Love Candi~*~


Crumbling up the note as tears streamed down his cheek, Brian held Hailey close to him resting his forehead against hers he began to cry not knowing what to do.