- Text Size +
“Looks like we’re in quite a fix,” quipped Khiaal.

“Really? I didn’t notice,” muttered Qisyaf as he surveyed the soldiers that surrounded them.

“Then you must be blind,” Muzahf muttered back.

“Children, this is no time for squabbling,” said Arim. “I think it’s best we focus on our friends here.”

“We *are*,” said Muzahf irritably.

“Time for a Full Moon, don’t you think?” commented Khiaal.

Immediately, the four stepped back until they were all back-to-back. All four had their swords at the ready.

“Now.”

The soft command from Khiaal was enough to send all four into motion. They sidestepped to the left in high speed, still in a circle, their swords slicing through muscle, skin, and cloth easily. They looked so perfectly choreographed that it almost looked like a dance, a deadly one.

The four High Warriors suddenly parted and started attacking ferociously, not giving their enemy any chance to recover. The four moved and attacked individually, each thrusting and blocking so fast that their blades were just blurs moving through the air.

Arim’s mind was on nothing else but the enemies in front of him. He moved his blade with incredible speed, feeling it slice through flesh but barely hearing the gasps or cries of those unlucky enough to be the sword’s victims.

Muzahf fought with all the skills he had learned during his page and squire days, parrying, thrusting, and blocking at a steady pace. He had the advantage of height and size and could mostly manage to overpower his opponent. Plus, he had a sharp brain, which he actually used.

Qisyaf had two swords in his hands, both his. He had painstakingly trained himself to use both at once and it paid off at this moment where he was facing this many enemy soldiers. He could do the most damage for he was fast with his swords, faster then most.

Although Khiaal was considered small compared to the other three, he was nimble and agile and he moved with incredible speed. His senses had been honed higher than a normal human's. He also had a few tricks up his sleeve. One second he would be in front of you, seemingly ready to surrender and then you blinked and he was gone.

The four knights slashed and cut and swung, effectively beating their opponents.

After the battle, the knights paused to take a breather and survey the damage. Bodies were strewn across the floor of the once-grand throne room. The knights’ faces were stone-like and unreadable.

They moved out to the hallway and made their way up a flight of stairs. They went down another hallway, this one grander than most. Finally they paused in front of gold-plated double doors. Qisyaf and Muzahf, being the biggest and strongest, pushed them open while the other two stood guard, wary of any more unwanted visitors.

Suddenly, Khiaal yelled a warning, “Duck!”

Two arrows flew past the spots where Qisyaf and Muzahf had been standing a moment before. They looked up to find two women aiming to riddle their bodies with arrows.

When the commander saw who they were, he signaled for the archers to point their bows down.

The four stood up and saw the Princess sitting at the edge of her bed while the Prince lay in it. He looked pale and had an unhealthy tinge on his face.

“My lords, it is an honor to meet your acquaintance.”

“Let’s save the formality for later, shall we?” said Qisyaf. “What’s your name?”

“I’m Commander Piers, my lord.”

“Piers, what happened to the Prince?” asked Muzahf.

“He was struck by an arrow. It was merely a graze but we believed that the arrow was poisoned.”

Khiaal walked to the Princess’s side to look at the Prince. He checked his pulse and the wound on his shoulder. Then, he turned to walk back to his friends.

“He’s hurt bad by the looks of it, Arie. We have to get him out of here first to heal him, though. Fast,” he said lowly to Arim.

He nodded grimly and relayed the information to the rest in whispers so as not to panic the Princess.

“Is there another way out? Maybe a way the enemy doesn’t know about?” asked Arim to Piers.

“I know a way,” said Princess Akala. “But we’ll have to move that dresser to the side.” She gestured to the dresser that was against one of the walls.

Qisyaf and Muzahf heaved as they pushed the dresser but it gave way surprisingly easy. Lifting the Prince over his shoulder, he followed the Princess’s lead through the passage. The others followed, with Arim protecting the Princess in front. Qisyaf was last and he noticed a handle at the back of the dresser. He pulled and it slid close, sealing the passageway.

Shaking his head as he followed the others, Qisyaf muttered, “Crazy castle makers.”