- Text Size +

Reality Check - Chapter Five

TROPICANA EMPLOYEE PARKING.

That was the sign that flew past Nick’s window as Brian wheeled into the parking lot.

“Okay you guys are setting up some weird practical joke on me, but judas Brian, Tropicana? I mean I love OJ but this place is so sickly sweet smelling!”

“Why do you keep saying ‘you guys?’ Nick just knock it off, we’re late and Steve is going to kill us,” Brian stated after he pulled into a parking space and killed the engine. He reached around into the back seat and pulled up a lunch pail.

“Yep and Fred Flinstone goes to work in the quarry,” Nick snickered.

Brian exited the vehicle and Nick practically had to run to catch up with him. Brian walked on, intent on getting into the door to the factory. “You realize you left your chips and soda in the car,” he pointed out.

“Yeah like I’m going to be needing them,” Nick chuckled.

“You will be at lunch,” came the reply. Brian didn’t look at Nick, only pulled a slim white card from the rack and placed it under a red line on a clock that hung on the wall. “Aren’t you gonna punch in?”

“Punch in for what?” Nick asked innocently.

Brian sighed. “So you get paid for today, smart one.”

Nick stood in front of the columns of cards, his mouth hanging open. He was clueless as to what he needed to do.

Brian stepped in front of him and pulled a card out. “See, it says right here, Carter, Nickolas G. Do you think that just maybe that could be your time card? You have to punch yourself in, that’s against policies for me to.”

Taking the card from Brian, Nick noticed that it was almost full. The day was Friday, and it appeared that they punched in and out times on this card for almost two weeks. “Boy this sure is an elborate plan,” Nick smirked. He placed the card beneath the red line and pushed the card in. He was rewarded with a humming noise and a loud clank from the clock.

“Good going ace, you punched in over Tuesday’s time,” Brian observed.

“Yeah oh well, guess I won’t get paid that day,” Nick laughed it off and put the card back into the slot that Brian had taken it from.

“Carter! Littrell! In my office, NOW,” a man yelled as he stepped in front of Nick and Brian.

“See, I told you Steve would be waiting for us,” Brian hissed at Nick. “I can’t afford to lose my job.” He glanced back at Nick’s reaction and wasn’t too pleased to notice his non-chalant attitude about the whole thing.

“Well, you two seem to think that Tropicana runs on your time schedule and you want to show up when you feel like it. You have been consistantly late every day this week. Some days it’s fifteen minutes and other days it’s been ten or even thirty.”

“I’m really sorry about that, Steve,” Brian apologized.

“Sorry don’t cut it. I think you just need a few days off, it’s obvious that you must be needing sleep and maybe this will correct the problem,” Steve continued.

“No, please reconsider this,” Brian begged. “I can’t afford any time off, I have a baby due and medical bills.”

“Well, you should have thought about that when you get up in the morning and get here late. Sorry guys, but you’re off all next week, without pay! He shoved two white envelopes toward Brian and Nick. “Here’s your paycheck you would have been getting on Saturday. Have a good, restful week.”

Clutching the envelope, Brian walked out of the office, his face beet red, flushed with anger. Nick followed behind him, a grin on his face but still following, looking like a lost puppy. Nick’s mouth dropped open when he saw AJ leaning against a vending machine, dressed in the same type of uniform that both he and Brian were wearing.

“Where you guys going? Shipping is in the other direction,” he rasped. Brian didn’t say a word as he walked past AJ.

“This is a funny joke, AJ, good touch,” Nick complimented.

"What’s the joke?” AJ called out as he watched them walk by. Nick didn’t have time to answer, he had to keep following Brian. He was wondering what turn the practical joke would be taking next. Once they arrived back to the car, he couldn’t help but notice Brian slumping over his steering wheel, his face a mask of emotions. “Are you feeling alright?”

Brian sighed loudly before he replied. “No Nick, no, I’m not okay. You just got us laid off without pay for a week. A weeks pay! I can’t afford this! I am going to have to find a side job for a week that will pay me cash under the table!”

“Come on Brian, jokes over, I think you’re taking this too seriously,” Nick remarked. Suddenly he remembered the envelope that contained his 'paycheck.' He tore it open and laughed at the amount.

“What’s so funny?”

“Okay, you guys have me making seven twenty-five an hour? No one makes only seven twenty-five an hour! And who the hell is FICA? Okay, what’s this? My check for seventy-six hours of work is only $352.64? That’s only about $175.00 a week! How could anyone live on that?”

“Evidentally you don’t know how to budget because you’re always broke. Better make that check work Nick cause the next check we will be short one week’s worth of pay so you will have to survive two weeks on about $175.00. Thanks, thanks alot.”

After going to the bank, Brian dropped Nick off at his apartment. “I guess I’ll see you in a week,” Brian stated before leaving Nick standing at the curb. Nick still didn’t understand the reality of the world he was now living in. He happily bounded up the steps to the apartment, letting himself in. His stomach growled, reminding him that he was hungry. He walked into the dirty kitchen and opened up cupboards only to discover they were bare. “Okay, I guess I just get some groceries with my $362.54,” Nick sighed. “But first I have to get out of this geekwear!”