- Text Size +
Chapter 9

Nick opened his eyes slowly. A smile appeared across his face when he saw his son sleeping on him. He came so close to never seeing him again. How could he have been so stupid? First he lost the only woman that he ever would or could love. Then his son is taken away from him because they had accused that he wasn't a fit enough parent after Erikas death. I'll show them he thought. Tyler was going to have the best father in the world. Nick was determined to make sure of that.

He would do anything for his son. The child he helped create. One of the only people on the earth that he would give his life for. Anything that his son wanted or needed he would make sure that he had it. After all, he desirved it. Tyler, at only four years old had been through so much. His mother was gone and he was taken away from his father. All of this probably confused him, but Nick was going to make sure things went back to normal, or at least a resonable fact simile.

If anything ever went wrong Nick knew that he always had the guys to help him and make sure that everything would get better. For that he was grateful. He was lucky enough to always have someone just a phone call away that would be able to help him out. Not a lot of people have that luxery and Nick wasn't going to let it slip away from him again. Nick looked at his son one more time before he slowly started to slide out of the bed. A satisfied grin came across his face when he was able to move Tyler without waking him.

Nick streched his arms and walked out of his bedroom and down the hallway and a small laugh escaped his lips when he saw Brian and Leighanne asleep on the couch. Memories of him and Erika doing that came flooding into his mind. It took almost all of his strength to keep from crying from the memory. Nick took a deep breath and then wandered into the kitchen. It was going to be alright he kept telling himself. Nick walked over to his cabinets and took out a glass for himself. He placed it onto the table and then walked over to the refrigerator and took out the carton of milk. He poured some into his glass and then put the carton back.

"Morning," Nick heard and then turned around.

"Hi Leighanne," he replied.

"How are you feeling?" she asked.

"I'm alright," he answered, "so when did you get here last night. I fell asleep before you got here."

"Yeah you were tired. Brian told me that you had just fallen asleep when I got here. He figured that you needed it."

"I did," Nick told her, "I feel a lot better."

"Good, I'm glad. I hated seeing you in so much pain. It made us all feel bad. Especially me. I lost a friend that night too and seeing another good friend of mine suffer didn't make it any better. It broke my heart to see you like you were," she told him as he took a seat at the table.

"You don't know what I feel," Nick said calmly, "you weren't there when it happened. I could have done something. She pointed out the car that hit us but I didn't think anything of it at first but when I saw it was coming towards us thats when I decided to do something but it was too late."

"Honey look," Leighanne said broken heartedly, taking a seat across from Nick, "you did what you could. That guy was the one who messed up not you. You were only trying to spend the night with your girlfriend. You did nothing wrong so don't ever think that you did. I don't care that you didn't pull over sooner or change lanes or whatever, there was no way that you could have known that this guy was going to kill her."

"That's easy for you to say. I mean I was the one driving. I should have died," Nick yelled.

"Nick relax," Leighanne warned, "you must have lived for a reason. God had other plans for you and that's why he didn't take you."

"What could be possibly want from me? I'm worthless without her," he answered.

"No you're not Nick. You have Tyler and that alone makes you worth something. You have so many people that love you and care about you. Honey it just wasn't meant to be for you to go. Just remember though, someday you'll be with you again. I'm sure she'll be waiting for you. You guys were meant for each other."

"You think?" Nick asked, his voice a whisper and his eyes beginning to fill with tears.

"No I know that," she replied, "and you've got to be strong for her, you and especially Tyler. He needs you more than anything right now."

"I know and I will be," he answered, trying to hold back his emotion.

"Why don't you wake Bri and Tyler up and I'll get breakfast going for all of us," she suggested as she stood from the table.

"You don't have to do that," Nick said standing up right after and staying right behind her, "you're a guest let me."

"Nick I love you like a brother and all but I'd never eat your cooking, no offence," Leighanne told him.

"None taken."

"Good, now get going!" she said pushing him out of the kitchen. He smiled and laughed. Walking into the livingroom, he called over to Brian.

"Yo Bri," he called, "get up. Your wife's making breakfast!" Brian groaned and just rolled over. "This means war," Nick mumbled to himself. He walked over to the couch and pulled the pillow right out from under Brians head.

"What was that for?" Brian asked, grouchy.

"I needed to get ya up some how," he answered with a wide grin on his face.

"Why?"

"Your wife told me too," he answered.

"What are you talking about?"

"She's making breakfast, she asked me to wake up you and Tyler. I figured you would be the one that gave me a problem so I came to get you first," Nick informed him.

"What she making?"

"I dunno, I didn't ask."

"Go get Tyler. I'm up," Brian told Nick.

"Ty!" Nick yelled as he walked through the hallway to his bedroom. He pushed his door open and saw Tyler, still asleep. He walked over to the bed and sat down, "hey Ty, aunt Leigh's making breakfast. Get up man."

"Hi daddy," Tyler said when he opened his eyes and saw his father sitting next to him.

"Hey little man. Let's get up and get you dressed man. Aunt Leigh's making breakfast so we gotta make sure we're there on time or she'll kick our butts!"

"No she won't! She's a girl!" Tyler said to his father.

"Yeah well she's a strong girl! Also, she could send uncle Brian after us," he told Tyler.

"Uh-oh!" Tyler said as he jumped out of the bed.

"Yeah man hurry hurry hurry," Nick shouted as he chased after Tyler. Tylers loud laughter echoed through the hallways as he ran into his room.

"Nick what are you doing to that kid?" Brian yelled from the oppisite end of the hallway.

"Nothing, I was just playing with him. Can you not tell the difference between laughter and screaming?"

"Just get him dressed man. Sometimes I swear the only difference between you two is that you're taller," Brian replied with a playful smile on his face.

"Like father like son," Nick replied.

"Tell me about it. Now get him ready," Brian said as Nick nodded and walked towards Tylers room. "Oh and Nick."

"Yeah Bri?"

"It's good to have you back man. We all missed you."

"Thanks man."