- Text Size +
Chapter 13

Leighanne looked in at Tyler who was fast asleep. It was a challange to keep him from going into the kitchen until she had the chance to at least clean up all of the blood on the floor. It made her skin crawl when she thought about Nick and what he had done. She couldn't understand why he would want to do that. He had gone to see the doctor. The pills were all over the living room so she was sure that he had gone. Yet, she still couldn't figure out what it was the finally drove him over the edge.

She closed Tylers door and walked down stairs and sat on the couch in the living room. The first thing she did was clean up the lamp so that Tyler wouldn't get hurt by it. She had seen enough blood to last her a lifetime. The hardest part about the whole day was how Tyler kept asking questions about his dad. He wanted to know where he was and if he was getting him that puppy he promised. Then when Brian left, he started to ask more questions. She didn't know what to tell him. She couldn't tell this child, this innocent baby, what happened. Mainly because she knew he wouldn't understand, she didn't and partly because she knew that this was something that Nick was going to have to talk to him about. It wasn't her place.

Leighanne closed her eyes and let her head rest against the back of the couch. She was so tired and confussed. She hadn't heard from Brian so she was nervous on top of that. She just wished he would call already and tell her what was happening, but he probably knew just as much as she did. Who knew, she told herself. Her eyes opened when she heard the door bell. At first she thought she was hearing things but then it rang again, so she went to answer it.

"Mrs. Nelson," Leighanne said as she saw Tylers grandmother, Erikas mother, "what brings you by so late?"

"I know about what Nick did," she replied, "and I came to pick up Tyler. I don't want him to see these kinds of things. He's just a child."

"Wait," Leighanne said, not really sure what to tell this woman, "Tyler doesn't know about what happened. He's been in his room all day. Nick did this when we were at the park. He had a doctors appointment. When he got home thats when it happened. Tyler has no idea about what happened."

"Mrs. Littrell, please, I think it would be better for Tyler if he came back to live with me," she explained.

"After only spending about a week with his father?" Leighanne questioned, "please, Nick is going to be alright. It was just a moment of weakness. I promise you, it won't happen again. Brian and myself are going to help him."

"Untill he's well again, I would feel much better if I had Tyler."

"Please, let him stay. He really loves his father and his father really loves him. If you took away Tyler from him again, it might make things worse. So please, I'm begging you, let Tyler stay."

"Mrs. Littrell, please let me have my grandson or I will be forced to get the police invovled," she warned.

"No, you don't have to do that," Leighanne said stepping aside, "he's asleep upstairs. The third door on the right."

"Thank you," she said and walked towards the stairs. Leighanne stayed down there until Mrs. Nelson left, taking a confused and tired Tyler with her. As soon as they were gone, Leighanne jumped into Brians car and went to the hospital. She went to the back where Brian was sitting as fast as she could.

"Brian," she called when she saw him sitting on a chair with his eyes shut. He jumped up from the chair when he heard his name. He looked over at Leighanne, scared.

"What happened? Where's Tyler?" he asked noticing that she didn't have Tyler with her.

"Mrs. Nelson came and took him. She found out about what happened to Nick and she didn't want Tyler to stay with him any more," she said franticly, "I did everything I could to convince her to let him stay. She threatened to call the police."

"Honey relax. It's okay," he said to her, "it might be better for Tyler to stay with his grandparents for the time being. That doesn't mean he won't be back with Nick, alright. First of all, we have to found out if there's going to be a Nick for Tyler to go back to."

"You haven't talked to a doctor yet?" Leighanne asked.

"No. I don't know anything other than the fact that once Nick gets better they're shipping him off to some mental hospital."

"What?" Leighanne asked, surprised.

"It's for some sort of evaluation I think. The officer told me that it was to make sure that he wasn't dangerous to himself or anyone else," Brian explained.

"How do you think he's going to take it when he finds out Tyler isn't around any more?"

"We're just going to have to break it to him easily and pray for the best," he answered as his cell phone rang, "hello?"

"Rok," AJ's voice came loud, clear and full of panic, "yo the guys are here, we just had the news on. Please tell me that Nick's okay."

"AJ, I don't know if he's okay. I'm at the hospital right now," he replied.

"Hospital," AJ repeated, "what the hell happened? Was the house broken into or something? Talk to me man."

"AJ, I think you better sit down for this," Brian said as calmly as he could.

"Why? Is it really that bad?
"
"Nick attempted suicide," Brian said without warning.

"Are you serious?" AJ replied. Brian could hear the Kevin and Howie talking in the background, trying to find out what happened.

"Yeah. Leigh and I took Tyler to the park so that Nick could go to the doctor and when we got home, he was laying in the kitchen in a pool of blood," Brian explained.

"How is he doing? Do you know?"

"No. I haven't talked to any doctors since I've been here," he replied.

"Shit. Well we're gonna be down there in a few alright?" AJ said.

"Yeah," Brian said shutting his eyes.

"See you then," AJ said as he hung up the phone. Brian opened his eyes again and looked over at Leighanne.

"How'd he take it?" she asked.

"He was shocked, but hell, I still am too."

"We all are baby, we all are," she told him.