- Text Size +
Chapter 14

"Brian!" AJ yelled as he ran down the hallway with Kevin and Howie closely behind him. They all looked so scared. Brian had never seen them like this before. It was heart breaking. "Any thing yet?"

"No," he replied bitterly. AJ dropped onto the chair next to Brian and looked over at him. Kevin and Howie remained standing.

"Suicide," AJ said softly moments later. Brian nodded. "I just can't believe this shit."

"Neither can I," Brian said softly, "and I was the one that saw it."

"You saw him do it?" Kevin asked his hurting cousin.

"No, but I saw him in all the blood. He looked so pale. So not Nick," Brian said as he looked up from the floor. His eyes were filled with hurt and fear. Fear of losing one of his best friends. Someone that had always been right there for him.

"It's okay Brian," Howie said.

"I should have gone with him. I never should have let him be alone. That was just so stupid, I knew he was having problems but I still left him alone," Brian mumbled.

"It wasn't your fault Brian. Nick has been through so much," Kevin replied, "he didn't know what else to do. That's all. You wouldn't have been able to stop him, you can't be with him every second of every day. Sooner or later he would have had the oppertunity."

"I just feel so guilty," Brian confessed.

"Don't," AJ said, "you didn't do anything wrong man. You just wanted to help him and that's all you did. Nick did this on his own and you had no part in it. Don't blame yourself alright." Brian nodded. He knew they were right. It was just he felt so bad and he was so tired at that point that he would believe just about anything.

"Now if only we could get a doctor in here," Kevin said as he took a seat across from Brian. This was such a crazy time for all of them and poor Brian was taking it the hardest. They were best friends, they had so much history together. All five of them did, but Brian and Nick have always been the tightest. It didn't help Brian any being there either. It would have gotten to whoever it was that was there when it happened.

"I've tried everything that I can think of," Brian replied, "I've had other doctors go back there and everything but each time they come back and tell me that they think it's best if I waited to talk to his doctor. They all said that they tried to get him, but he was still working on Nick."

"What exactly did Nick do to himself?" AJ asked.

"He slit his wrist with a kitchen knife," Brian answered, "it was a pretty deep cut too I'm assuming because of all the blood that he lost."

"How long have you been here?" Howie asked.

"About three and half hours. I called 911 as soon as I saw Nick on the floor. I've been here waiting ever since," he replied.

"Maybe we just need to wait a little longer," Howie said, "I'm sure they would have said something if Nick wasn't okay or something. They wouldn't have gone this long without telling anyone. They knew you were here right?"

"Yeah, I rode in the amblance with them," Brian told him.

"Has anyone contacted his parents?" Kevin asked, "do you even think they're aware that all of this was going on?"

"I have no idea," Brian replied, "I just haven't been thinking straight."

"One of us should call them before they find out through the news like we did," Howie commented, "that's going to hurt them more that we didn't call and tell them ourselves."

"Yeah but which one of us has the heart to tell them?" Brian asked, "I sure as hell know that I can't do it. It's just too much. I can't take it any more."

"I'll do it," AJ said, "they need to know and I don't want Rok here havin a break down." AJ reached into his pocket, pulled out his cell phone and dialed in Nicks parents number. Everyone looked at him, waiting. Waiting for the reaction of his parents when they found out, that is if they didn't already know about it.

"Hello?" Nicks moms voice came, clam and relaxed. She didn't know.

"Hi, Mrs. Carter. This is AJ," he said.

"Oh AJ, hello, how are you?" she asked. This was going to hurt her so badly.

"I'm alright I guess, but I'm not calling on a good note. I need to tell you something. Something that's gonna hurt so I suggest that you sit down," AJ said seriously.

"Why? What's wrong?"

"I don't know how to tell you this," he started. He really didn't. This wasn't something that he ever thought that he was going to have to do. Never the less, the moment of truth was here, "it's about Nick. We, the guys and I are at the hospital."

"Hospital?" she asked. The word sparked a buzz in the background. Much like it had when Brian had called AJ.

"Yeah, let me finish before you say anything else. This is going to hurt to hear but Nick, well, he attepmted suicide," he said as he heard gasp on the other end of the line, "we don't know if he's okay or not. Brian's been here for awhile and he hasn't heard anything."

"How long is awhile?" she asked, confussed.

"About three hours he said," AJ told her.

"Why did he call any sooner!? I mean my son, my baby, he could be dying..." she said her hurt turning to anger.

"Mrs. Carter, he didn't call 'cause he's on a verge of sort of a break down himself. He's really hurt by this. He was the one that called 911 so please don't be angry at him," AJ said causing Brian to look up in AJ's direction, AJ was already looking down at him, "he's been through a lot."

"He still should have called sooner," she replied.

"Look, I understand why you're upset. Kev, D and I heard about it on the news. Just we thought it was a robbery attempt. We wanted to call you before you found out that way."

"And you haven't heard anything from his doctors?"

"No, nothing."

"Okay, we're going to try and get out there as soon as we can," she replied as she hung up the phone. AJ sighed and put his cell back in his pocket.

"They're on there way here," he announced.

"She's mad at me isn't she?" Brian asked.

"Just a little. Don't worry about it though. I mean she just had to take in so much and she doesn't have her emotions straight. I'm sure on the flight here she'll have things somewhat cleared up," AJ told him.

"I should have called them," Brian answered.

"It's alright Rok. You weren't thinking man. Trust me, all of us would have been a little out of it too if we were in your spot. So don't be kickin' yourself over this alright?"

"AJ's right," Leighanne said, saying something for the first time since they guys had arrived, "you didn't know how to react to the situation. That's okay though. You've done everything that you could. Come on Brian, you did think to tie the wash cloth around his arm to slow the bleeding. You did something. That's all you could have done really. Right now I'm sure the doctors are working on him and he's going to be alright."

"You did what ya could," Howie replied, "and that's what matters right now. Besides, who knows, what you did do might have helped. Just think positive okay?"