- Text Size +
Chapter 19

Brian sighed as he took the key out of the ignition and looked foward towards the hospital that Nick had been taken to. It was time to take him home. The doctors had called and told him that Nick was on his way to recovery and this was the perfect time for him to spend with loved ones. Brian took one last look at the hospital and headed towards the enterance. Casually he walked inside with the jingleing sound of his keys the only thing he could hear.

The only thing that was going through his mind was what if this was a bad idea? He knew what happened to Nick the last time the sought help. It put him in the hospital. Maybe he shoul stay here a little longer just in case. What could a few more days hurt? Brian knew that he would feel a lot better if that was the case, instead of this. There was alreay fear in Brians heart. He didn't want to fail again. He already attempted to take care of him and he missed all of the signs. Leighanne had told him that he did everything that he humanly could but Nick was going to do what he wanted. His pain was just too great.

There was always that fear in the back of Brians' mind that he had in some way played a part in Nicks' break down. No matter what any one said, he would still have that tiny bit of guilt in his heart, much like Nick had felt when all of this had began. It's funny how life can turn on someone. One day you're living your life like nothing could ever touch you and only moments later, you're at a point where anything could break you. For the first time since everything had begun, Brian really understood how Nick felt.

Brian took a deep breath once he arrived at Nicks room. This was it. Nick was coming home now, the doctors had said he was ready. Brians' trembling hands reached for the door knob. Slowly, he opened the door to find Nick sitting on the bed staring towards the window. Nervously, Brian spoke.

"Hey Nick, it's time to go," he stated. Nick turned around the face Brian. Their eyes locked and Nick nodded. Brian remained still as he watched Nick pick up his small bag.

"Thanks for coming to pick me up," Nick answered.

"It's no problem," Brian replied as he and Nick headed towards the car. "How you feeling?"

"A lot better, I really needed this," Nick answered honestly. "I needed to be here." Brian remined silent as they walked into the parking lot, he really wasn't sure what he should say. There were so many things that he wanted to know. He wanted to know what it was like in the hospital, but he surpressed his questions in order to give Nick time to adjust.

"Have you seen Tyler?" Nick asked as he threw his bag into the backseat of Brians' car.

"Not since that day, when Leighanne and I took him to the park," he answered. Nick sighed.

"Do you think I can see him? I really want to explain what happened," Nick replied as the two men entered the car. Brian glanced over at Nick.

"You want to tell him that you attepmted suicide?" Brian questioned, slightly shocked.

"Yeah."

"Are you sure that's a good idea? I mean he's only four. He's not really going to understand what you did."

"I know and that's why I want to explain what and why I did it. He desirves to know."

"I agree with you but don't you think you should wait until he's a little older? This might really hurt him. He almost lost both of his parents. Wouldn't that have hurt you when you were his age," Brian said. "This is a really mature, serious topic and I don't think that Tyler is ready to know about this yet."

"Brian, I think I know what is good for my own son," Nick replied as Brian started up the car and started to head out of the parking lot and towards the highway.

"I'm saying that you don't know how to raise your son, I'm just suggesting that maybe you should wait until he's a little older. I'm not telling you to not tell him. You should tell him, but not now. It's just the wrong time."

"You haven't been any help!!!" Nick yelled suddenly. "You came around and look at all this shit that happened. You should be the last person telling me what to do!" Brian glanced quickly over at Nick, his look showing his shock.

"Fine then, I'm sorry," Brian answered softly. He didn't know how to take Nicks outburst. It was the last thing he was expecting to happen, at least this late in the stage.

"No, Brian I'm sorry," Nick said a little while later. "I shouldn't have yelled at you like that. I didn't mean it. I...," Nick paused and took in a deep breath, "everything is just pissing me off and I don't know how to handle it any more."

"What happened back there?"

"Everything that I needed to happen," Nick answered honestly.

"Then why are you so mad?" Brian asked cautiously.

"For being as stupid as I was."

"You weren't stupid, you were just in a lot of pain. It's okay to be in pain bro. All of us get hurt sometime," Brian stated.

"I know," Nick said. "So how've you been? How is everyone?"

"I'm okay, glad to see you're feeling better. You're family is a little crazy on the other hand," Brian explained. "They couldn't get in touch with you and they were flipping out."

"I didn't want to hear from them. I told the nurse not to put them through because I knew all that they would do is call me and ask if I'm alright. That alone is enough to drive a man crazy.. I was already there, I didn't need any more." Brian laughed lightly.

"You going to call them when you get home?"

"Yeah, I just want to make it quick because I really don't want to talk about this any more than I have to. I'm feeling better, I really am."

"I believe you man. So what happens now?"

"My doctor set it up that I have to come back every month or so, so that they can just check up on me to make sure that I'm doing okay. Other than that, I have the rest of the time to get my life back on track. Get things cleared up with Ty's grandparents so I can at least see him every one in a while."

"I'm sure they'll let you back in. Mrs. Nelson wouldn't have come to see you at the hospital if she didn't believe in you man," Brian replied. Nick nodded.