- Text Size +
Scattered Pictures


I was sitting all alone in my hotel room. The same one I was attacked in. The lights were off, the TV on but muted and all you could hear was the percolating of the complimentary coffee maker. The room should have smelled like a dark roast Columbian blend but it didn't.

There was a foul stench in the air. Like rotting potatoes that stayed out in the heat too long. As fear took over I tried to remind myself I was only dreaming. After all I knew the routine by now. Whenever I closed my eyes to sleep I was transformed to a place where nightmares lived. My nightmares, which used to consist of overly huge bunnies hopping after me, telling me they wanted me to feed them more carrots had transformed into a whole new level of fright. Now I would do anything to see one of those menacing beasts again. I would scratch it behind its ears and tell it you have no idea what true terror is buddy.

I stood up to check on my coffee, even though I had a feeling that when I got to the counter top that housed the coffeemaker nothing would be there. True to form I was correct but the sound of percolating still existed. The counter was right off of the bathroom which was the only light on in the room.

Once again I knew that if I looked in there I would not be happy, but dreams sometimes have a mind of their own so of course I looked. There was Nick sitting on the floor holding out his bloody hands to me. "Why Brian?” He kept asking me over and over again, tears streaming down his eyes.

I didn't know what to say so I ran to him and handed him a towel. He was too shaky to accept it so I tried to stop his bleeding.

"It hurts B...it hurts" He pleaded. I once again tried to will myself awake.

"I'm so sorry Nick..." I placed the towel on his chest to try to stop the flow of blood.

Then I saw him again, he was sitting in the tub, fully clothed and watching the entire scene. He started clapping. "That was just so heart warming. I don't even know what to do with myself"

Derek got out of the bathtub, using Nick's shoulder as an anchor and grabbed the towel out of my hands.

To my disgust he wiped himself with it, leaving a smear of Nick's blood all over his face.

"I hate you!" I screamed at him. The magic words that would transport me from the sleeping world back to reality.

I opened my eyes to find myself in another hotel room. But this time the one I should have been in. I was happily released from the hospital the day before and had been carted to a beautiful sweet at the top of a luxury hotel where I was staying with the other four boys, my brother and his girlfriend Amy.

Actually I take that back...other three boys.

My mother and father reluctantly had to go back home but promised that by the end of the week they'd be back.

As if hearing an invisible call button my brother walked in, ironically enough holding a cup of coffee. "Well at least I know why I dreamed coffee" I said sitting up. My neck was still stiff but overall I was okay.

"Do you want some Bri?" He asked sitting on the chair across from the bed. I shook my head.

"Have another nightmare?" I nodded at him. They had all become very used to my little nightmares. I often times woke up in the hospital screaming for Nick or even crying. This time according to Harold it was a small I hate you that sparked him to come in and keep me company.

"You know, I wish you would reconsider and come home with me tomorrow" He blew on his coffee. My brother didn't even like coffee. He drank it like some people smoked cigars; for social purposes.

"I can't leave now"

"You aren't doing him any good staying. You need your rest; it'll do you good to be home with mom and dad"

"I just can't...not yet anyway. I need to be here" And I did. My parents were hoping that when they left Philadelphia I would be going with them. Of course with all that had happened we were on a forced break and they felt like I should be at home with them and not in a strange city, the same one where I was nearly beaten to death with a bat in.

The others felt the same way. I should go home and get my rest but I couldn't. Not as long as Nick was lying in a hospital room still unconscious.

Kevin had come to get me the night before I left the hospital to see if maybe I wanted one more visit with Nick but I told him I was too tired.

I lied.

I just couldn't do it. "When are you talking to that therapist?" Harold asked trying to pull me back to where he was and away from my drifting thoughts.

"Today..." I said letting him know despite seeming far away I was right there, "she's making a house call"

"Do you want me to stay in the room with you Thumper?" I laughed; "You haven't called me that in about 15 years" My mind went back to the brief image of giant killer rabbits.

He smiled and shrugged at me, "Just popped in my head I guess"

"No you don't have to stay in here with me"

"You sure?" I nodded, "Where are the others?" I already knew just making sure.

"At the hospital" He answered just like I knew he would. "AJ hung around a little while but because you were sleeping he decided to go with Howie and Kevin"

This was the part when I needed to ask; again it was just the same as a nightmare only this time I wouldn't be waking up. "How is he?" I looked over at my brother as he stood up and walked close to me.

"He's doing better Brian. Better every day. I just went to see him myself this morning. He hasn't woken up yet but the doctors are confident he will soon"

"You went to see Nick?"

"Of course I did after all he's kind of like my teeny brother you know since you’re my little one he has to be the teeny one"

"He would've liked seeing you there" I said biting on my bottom lip.

"I wish he had seen me there" He said putting his next to full cup of coffee down on the table.

We both sat on my bed for a while watching an infomercial until Amy walked in with my therapist.

When everyone kept pushing for a therapist, I really was reluctant but I had said okay but if I need to talk to one, I would like a female. I just didn't feel comfortable talking about being scared and insecure in front of another guy. Call me a sexist jerk but I knew a guy would walk away laughing at what a coward I was.

Harold got up off the bed and shook the ladies hand, "Hi, I’m Harold and that's my brother Brian"

She smiled at him then directed her attention to me, "Hello Brian"

"We'll leave you two to talk" He said grabbing Amy's hand and walking out of the room.

I moved off of the bed and to a chair rubbing the back of my neck. She extended her hand to me "I'm Kathryn” She looked young maybe around Howie's age.

"Nice to meet you"

I have never in my life ever thought I would need a therapist. Some of the other guys there was no question in my mind they would. AJ was committable most days and Nick well, was Nick. I was the sanest one of us, so being in the presence of a therapist now seemed almost comical.

"What are you thinking?" She asked crossing her legs and brushing her hair out of her face.

"Just that I never thought I’d have to talk to a therapist...no offense of course"

"None taken, so why don’t you tell me why I’m here?" She asked placing her notepad on the table.

"I don't know, everyone seems to think this would be a good idea"

"Everyone meaning whom?"

"The police, my doctor, my parents, the guys..."

"What about you? Do you think it's a good idea?"

"I don't see how it's going to help"

"Have you had any nightmares?" She got right to the point and it shocked me.

"Some...how did you know?"

"It's common after a traumatic event to have nightmares about it. Do you ever see the face of your attacker?"

I nodded.

"Do you relive your attack?"

"Kind of but not really. It's always him but the scenario changes"

I sat with Kathryn for the next hour and told her about nightmare after nightmare. And she just nodded and wrote things down on her pad. I felt comfortable talking to her, like she was an old friend.

When we were done she stood up and took my hand, "Brian it's completely normal to have the feelings you are having and the dreams. When you go through something like this sometimes your brain remembers things like pictures. Bits and pieces of truth mixed in with fantasy. Your mind's way of remembering"

"Thank you" She smiled as I walked her out of the suite and to the front door.

"I hope your friend will be okay"

"Me too"

AJ had come back to the suite while I was in my session with Kathryn and walked up and gave me a hug, "you're looking good Rok"

"Thanks"

"She was pretty hot"

Brian laughed, "Yeah AJ you two should date I’m sure you'd make an excellent case study for her" I stopped smiling, "So...how is he?"

"About the same" I nodded.

"Maybe you and I can go back there later?" He had a hopeful look in his eyes.

"I don't know J, maybe"

"Okay buddy" He placed his hand on my shoulder but I looked away, embarrassed that I didn't want to see my best friend. After all I had seen him more then once today already. I shuddered feeling his blood seep through the towel as I held it close to his body. All the while Derek Jones laughed in the background.

I'll be back on Wednesday with chapter 7