- Text Size +

It had now been two weeks since Nickolina had found out that she was two months pregnant. She was now starting to show just a teeny bit, and was starting to give up on her search of finding at least one Backstreet Boy – hopefully the one she had dreamt about. She sighed heavily as her stomach growled at her, signaling that it and her unborn child were both hungry.

“I’m sorry,” she whispered, running her one hand over her stomach – the other hand held her Teddy Bear. “I’m out of money. And I lost Dr. Emerson’s number. I can’t feed us. I’m sorry.”

She sat down upon a store stoop then, and hugged her Bear tightly. She carried him everywhere, as she was terrified to put him down, as she knew someone would more than likely snatch him up and she’d never see him again.

“I don’t know what to do, Sammy,” she told her stuffed friend. “I’m scared.”

She buried her face into him and cried. “I wanna go home – but I can’t! I just can’t!”

After having had cried for a few more minutes, she got up and made her way to the local street market. She knew they’d be selling food there, and maybe – just maybe – she’d get lucky enough to get something for free. But, of course, in this day and age, no one was going to give a dirty, homeless-looking child something to eat for free. No way possible – all the venders were out to make a buck for their own children, so that they wouldn’t wind up homeless, like the urchins that tended to wander through their market place.

Nickolina kept walking, her feet extremely sore from both the sandals and from being almost three months pregnant. Finally, she grew desperate to feed her baby and did something she thought she’d never in her life do – she stole an apple from one of the venders.

“Hey!” The vender shouted. “Put that back, Street Rat!”

Nickolina panicked and broke out into a run. She was scared, tired, and hungry. Sleeping in the box at the playground wasn’t all that comfortable. She ran and ran until she tripped and fell to her knees, the apple slamming down to the ground still in her hand.

The man who had chased her for the vender, grabbed her arm roughly and dragged her back to the vender she’d stolen from. “Here. I caught the lil’ urchin. You can call the cops now.”

Nickolina began to cry, as the apple was grabbed from her now sore hand. She didn’t want to go to jail, nor a Home – all she wanted to do was feed her baby.

“Excuse me,” a voice spoke then. “But, may I ask why you are holding that child so roughly?”

“The lil’ brat thinks she can steal from us and get away with it!” The vender answered for the man whom was still holding Nickolina’s arm tightly. “We’re holding her until the cops get here.”

“May I ask what she stole?”

“My apple!” The vender snapped.

“All this over an apple?” The new man said if disbelief. “Do you not know how to give someone less fortunate a small handout once in a while?”

“If I give her a handout, then I’ll have to give everyone a handout!” The vender growled.

Nickolina looked up then, and was shocked beyond belief when her eyes landed upon the man whom was now defending her.

The kind man smiled warmly back at her. “How about I buy the apple for her, and you guys let her go,” he suggested. “As a matter of fact, I’ll buy two whole bag of apples, if you let her go.”

“Pay up!” The vender snapped, holding his hand out, awaiting the cash.

The nicer man handed the vender a wad of money. “Here, I’m sure that should suffice.”

The vender handed the man his two bags of apples, as the man holding onto Nickolina let her go.

“Now scat!” The vender ordered. “Next time I shan’t be so generous and will call upon the authorities!”

Nickolina nodded slightly, and shyly took the apple from the man that had come to her rescue.

The kind man led Nickolina to a bench that was further away from the market, and closer to the overly crowded beach. Once they had both taken a seat upon it, the man turned to look at him.

“My name’s Howie, what’s yours?”

“Nickolina,” she answered softly, between hungry bites of her apple.

“May I ask how old you are, Nickolina?”

“Thirteen,” Nickolina replied, reaching for the second apple he handed to her.

“Where are your parents?”

“Somewhere in Georgia.”

“Then – why are you here?” Howie asked. “Did you run away or something?”

“Or something,” Nickolina replicated softly.

Howie was confused by her answer, but decided not to press it for the time being.

“Well, why were you stealing then?” He asked.

“Hungry,” Nickolina answered simply. She was afraid he’d think ill of her, should she admit to him that she was pregnant.

“Well, I know these apples might not last very long, but at least it’s a start,” Howie smiled softly. “If you’d like, I can buy you a hot meal. You look as though you could use one.”

Nickolina shook her head. She didn’t want to be a burden and use his money on her. “I’m fine.”

“You sure?”

“No,” she thought silently, before saying, “Yes. I’m sure.”

Howie nodded then, as he got up. “Alright. But take good care of these apples. I might not be around to help you out next time.”

She watched as he paused a moment, before digging around in his pocket for something. Moments later, he’d pulled out a pen and a small piece of paper, which he wrote upon.

“Here,” he said, handing the slip of paper to her. “Call me if you decide you’d like that hot meal I mentioned.”

Nickolina smiled shyly at him, as he pocketed the piece of paper. “Thanks.”

“Well, I have to get going, or I’ll be late for a meeting. Take care Nickolina.”

She nodded and watched silently as Howie walked away. It was then that she decided to follow him for a bit. She picked up her bags of apples – and Sammy – then followed Howie, being careful that he wouldn’t spot her trailing him.

Howie was unaware as he went to his car and got in to drive off. He was headed for one of the other Boys’ house, as it was where their meeting was to take place that day.

Nickolina snuck onto a bus that did a tour of the city, and sat near the back, so she wouldn’t look so damned suspicious. Every once in a while, people would get out to take pictures of a celebrity’s house, or something that interested them. Once she heard the house she’d been looking for named, she snuck off the bus, amazed no one had caught the stowaway, whom hadn’t paid a single red cent for the guided tour.

She sighed as she walked over and stood next to the tall security gate that was part of the fence surrounding the rather large yard. She stood there in awe, as she stared at the property that now lay before her eyes. Sure, her home – her old home – had been extravagant, but in her opinion it just did not compare to the sight before her now.

She quickly ducked out of sight as she heard voices approaching the gate, not wanting to be seen by anyone just yet.

“Man Frick, I dunno what the hell Kev’s got up his ass this time, but I sure wish he’d get it out,” a voice stated.

“Well Frack, you know how Kev can be,” a second voice answered.

“But does he have to be so anal?” The first voice asked with a slight whine.

The owner of the second voice laughed. “Yeah, well, that’s my cousin for you.”

“Friiick!”

“Fraaack!” The second person replied in the same tone playfully.

There was a short silence, then the sound of laughter. Nickolina peeked out from her hiding spot, just in time to see Brian and Nick start to shove each other playfully. She couldn’t help but smile to herself at the sight of them goofing off without a care in the world. It made her even happier to know that the two of them had remained best of friends, despite their marriages. She giggled softly as she watched them, but froze when she realized that they had spotted her.

“Hey! You!” Nick called out. “What’s so funny?”

Nickolina’s eyes went wide, as she stared at him a moment in fear. She glanced at the house address, memorized it quickly, then took off down the street fast as she could. Sure, she had followed Howie to the house, but she was so not ready to confront the apparent father of her unborn child.

“Gee, way to go Frack. You scared her off.”

“I did not Frick!” There was a small pause. “Hey! Look! She dropped something, Frick!”

“What is it, Frack?”