- Text Size +

The next morning, Nickolina went back to the market place, to see if there was any chance of finding Howie again. She hadn’t slept a wink really, since she didn’t have Sammy by her side for the first time in her entire life. But, then again, this was the first time in her entire life she’d ever been truly alone. She kept walking, having had already eaten some of the apples she had, then hidden them carefully in the hiding spot she’d found. She just hoped to God that no one else would find them before she returned.

She hummed softly as she walked along, and soon found the bench her and Howie had sat upon the day before. She sat there, still humming to herself, as she stared out at the beach nearby. She felt sadness come over her as she watched kids her age play frisbee with their families and friends – neither of which she now had. She sighed, then began to sing softly.

That night you changed my life. Back in the moment that you kissed me the first time. That night you changed my life with your love. Changed my life. That night you changed my life. You’re fingers are running down my spine…” She trailed off.

Someone applauded then, causing her to look up. There, she found a couple smiling at her. She sat there amazed as the man handed her a dollar.

“Here,” he said. “Take this.”

Nickolina accepted his dollar and smiled softly at him. “Thanks.”

“You should really sing, if you want to make any money,” the woman advised. “Just sitting here won’t get you anything but cold glares and rude words.”

Nickolina nodded. “I will. Thanks for the idea.”

The couple nodded, then continued on their way to the market.

Nickolina thought a moment, then smiled to herself. They were right – she could use singing to her advantage. She stood up nervously – more nervous than ever since she didn’t have Sammy there with her to cling to – and began to sing the first thing that popped into her head.

Let’s not talk about a possible ending. Let’s not think about it every day. And I know, I’m so, in love, with you. I’m finding it harder and harder to breathe every time for you. My beautiful woman...

Nickolina was surprised to see people stopping to hear her sing. She shrugged to herself ever so slightly, and continued to sing her heart out.

B is for beautiful as the sunshine. E tells me everything is feeling alright. A comes to U and me swinging it down. T is to how, I want you. You got me acting like a fool. Let’s not talk about a possible ending. Let’s not think about it every day. And I know, I’m so, in love, with you. I’m finding it harder and harder to breathe every time for you.