- Text Size +

Howie had decided to go back to the market place, in hopes of finding Nickolina there once more. Imagine his surprise when he heard someone singing Backstreet Boy songs as he approached the bench where he and Nickolina had sat to talk the day before. He gently and politely made his way to the front of the crowd, and was quite surprised to see that the beautiful, angelic voice came from Nickolina herself. He stood there smiling, as he held the bear she had dropped the day before.

“If the guys were here, they’d be shocked,” he thought, smiling more at that “Shocked indeed.”

He stopped thinking and listened to her next song, watching more and more people gather around.

Can’t you see me. Here I am. Standing here where I’ve always been. And when once our love is up, I climb inside your heart and still find … You’re my favourite place to hide.” Nickolina sang, not noticing Howie.

Howie was amazed to see that she was singing songs off their new album, and suddenly realized why she’d been so shocked to see him the day before.

“She’s a fan,” he whispered to himself.

It was the only plausible explanation. How else could she possibly know the words to some of the songs being considered for their new and upcoming album. Not only was this plausible, it was logic.

But here in my heart, I give you the best of my love. Oh, oh, sweet darlin’. You get the best of my love. You get the best of my love,” Nickolina sang, having had now switched songs again.

Howie joined in as he made his way towards her, holding Sammy. “Oh, oh, sweet darlin’. You get the best of my love. You get the best of my love.

Nickolina stopped to stare at him, then spotted the bear he held and grinned. She was so damned happy to see Sammy again, that she didn’t notice the money people were setting in the shoes she had taken off, as her feet were aching once more.

“Sammy!” She squealed, hugging Howie tightly, then taking her beloved stuffed friend from the Backstreet Boy. “You found him!”

Howie smiled, as he took the money out of her shoes and handed it to her. “Here. Best put this away, before someone else swipes it.”

Nickolina stuffed the money into the pockets on her ragged clothing, then sat down upon the bench again to give her poor feet a rest.

Howie sat down next to her. “I take it you’re a fan,” he states with one of his sweet smiles.

Nickolina blushed. “You noticed?”

Howie nodded. “Yeah. But only because we’ve been singing those songs endlessly on our promotional tour.”

“Oh, yeah,” Nickolina said softly. “I forgot about that.”

“So…care to explain why you followed me yesterday?”

Nickolina stared down at her feet sheepishly. “I’m a fan?” She tried. “Decided I wanted the hot meal? Just ‘cause?”

Howie sighed, and lifted her chin up to make her look him in the eyes. “How about the truth, okay? I’m not going to hurt you or anything. You can trust me.”

Nicolina sighed heavily, and looked back down, though he still held her chin. “You’re going to hate me for this, and not believe me at all.”

“Now, why would you think that?”

“Because my Papa don’t believe me and hates me for it,” she whispered ever so softly.

Howie frowned slightly upon hearing that. “C’mon now. Whatever it is can’t be that bad.”

“I’m pregnant,” she told him bluntly, though still not looking at him.

“You’re – what?”

“Pregnant,” she repeated, her brown eyes welling up with tears.

“But – just – what – how?”

“I don’t know,” she whined slightly. “I’ve never done it before in my life! I swear! Doctor even said I haven’t!”

“But then, how?”

“He thinks it’s from a dream I had. That’s the only time I’ve ever done it,” Nickolina answered quietly. “I swear it Howie. I ain’t never slept with no one. That’s just – just – gross!”

Howie had to smile at her answer to that. “Well, may I ask whose it is?”

“A Backstreet Boys’,” she whispered so soft, he had to strain to hear what she’d said.

“What?!?!” He exclaimed slightly. “One of – of ours.”

Nickolina started to cry, as she felt his hand leave her chin and she heard him get up rather quickly. “Howie! Please!” She cried. “It’s true! I swear it on my baby’s life!”

“That’s just not possible!” Howie told her. “I mean – you can’tyou know – from a dream!”

“I know!” Nickolina whined desperately through her tears. “But it’s true!”

“Well, it’s not – mine…is it?” Howie asked worriedly.

“No,” Nickolina answered, shaking her head.

“Phew!” Howie said, sitting back down next to her. “Well, may I ask, which one of us it belongs to?”

Nickolina sniffled and leaned closer to him to whisper the answer in his ear.

“What!?!” Howie yelped slightly. “He’s going to flip! And I mean flip!”

“That’s what I’m afraid of,” Nickolina wailed. “That – and that he won’t believe me!”

Howie sighed then, and pulled the young girl into his arms, to offer her some comfort as she cried. “Shh. It’s going to be alright. I promise,” he guaranteed her. “And if he won’t help you, I will. I promise you that nothing’s going to happen to you or your baby.”

“Thank-you,” Nickolina managed to choke out, as she buried her face into his chest.