- Text Size +
“Rebirth”

“Prison gates won’t open up for me. These hands and knees I’m crawling on, I reach for you. When I’m terrified of these four walls. These iron bars can’t hold my soul and all I need is you. Come please I’m calling. And all I scream for you, hurry I’m falling. I’m falling. Show me what its like to be the last one standing. Teach me wrong from right and I’ll show you what I can be.” -“Saving Me” Nickelback

Chapter 11: Broken Call

Howie takes in her words clearing his throat. “Well…Err…Kevin check the map I think we’re going to make a visit to these colonies. Where exactly did you say some of these colonies are located Jeremy?”

A smirk crosses her full lips as she looks up heading to the color coordinated map flapping on the wall besides her. Pinning spots with some tacks, she grabs a marker circling some of the colonies strewn around Mars and Venus. “There. I heard due to the climate, humans were able to survive adequately.”

Jynx grins: proud of Jersey quickly locating the areas. “If we find these survivors. You realize it won’t be an easy task to convince them to join us. Many of them are just hiding out, willing to help themselves only.”

“Don’t think negatively. I’m sure they’re desperate. If they’re hiding out they want someone to save them and I say we can be the ones to do it.” Nick retorts, lounging back in his seat.

“The coast is clear. We can reach Venus shortly. Jeremy, you better hope there are willing people there. If not, we’re screwed.” Kevin steers the ship for a while finally flying down to a rather cloudy thick fog, the ship hovering, slowly descending hitting the outer banks of Venus. The rest of the ride seemed quiet, thick with tension from all around. Everyone was on the edge and nerves were hitting high from their last attack.

“We’re here!” Brian jolts out of his seat grinning, fighting with his seatbelt.

The others softly chuckle, the sounds of movement from seatbelts being retracted and shuffling begins to fill the ship.

Jynx looks over at Howie who seemed busy conversing with the co-pilot.

“He seems like a nice guy. Do you two know each other? You seem almost close to a point.” Skyla says softly besides her.

Blinking, Jynx drops her vision to the ground, feeling her cheeks warm up in embarrassment.

“I just think its all this fighting and aliens that makes people come in contact more. Like you and A.J. over there.” She points out the tatted man who leaves his weapon on the starboard.

“Ohhh….heh. He’s a wonderful guy and I know he has good intentions. Besides it doesn’t mean anything. I like being around him. He makes me feel….I don’t know. Safe.” Skyla murmurs, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear watching AJ stretching, his shirt slowly rising to show off the rather buffed stomach he has. She couldn’t stop staring but decided to before she was caught. She didn’t mind the vision, not at all.

“Yeah I know that feeling. It’s a nice thing to have.” Jynx smiles standing up.

Jersey glances at Nick out of the corner of her eye, she couldn’t help wonder what he really thought of her. He knew her secret and she was hoping that she wouldn’t regret spilling the beans to him on it.

“Ok guys. Listen up. We’re coming to a complete stop on the Venus strip port in a few and I think its best if only a few of us journey out there to locate the villages.” Howie stands before the group, “We’re about to embark on an unknown territory and I believe its wise if only the selected few begin ground searching. I would prefer the women to remain here until notified.”

Rhade snorts at that, crossing her arms over her chest. “You do realize not all of us women are weak. I myself can handle anything that’s thrown at me. You seem to underestimate the female species. I don’t know why.”

The captain blinks at the comment and smirks, looking to the exit door. “Its not that I don’t believe you all can protect yourselves. I’m sure you all can. I just don’t want to worry about you guys. We’re all very sacred and are needed. If anything would have happened to any of you I would be devastated.”

Skyla raises her eyebrows, watching the captain stumble for the right words.

“I think we heard enough. How about we go check the land shall we?” Brian beams, feeling the ship glide slowly easing into the thick white and blue port. Kevin parks the ship to a safe landing, the soft praises sounding out that they’re all still alive and well erupt from the crowd of them.

“Alright. Here’s it goes. A.J, Nick and Jeremy you guys are gonna search the base perimeter of Aclove Hills here on Venus. It’s about north 45 degrees and 38 degrees east. It should get you to right spot. We’re going armed and with tracers. If anyone needs to communicate with the other team, I’ve implicated sturdy tiny microscopes embedded in the shields Brian will hand out to you.” Howie explains, taking an iron shield in his hands.

Rhade gazes at Orlando wondering what he was thinking about all this. He seemed so confident. A little too confident, but it intrigued her. She was fascinated with the way he believed he was right on so many accounts. Yet when alone with just her, he breaks down those walls. He wasn’t as strong as everyone else on the ship assumed he was. He was scared, if not, more than the others possibly.

“Team one will consist of Nick, Jeremy and AJ. Brian, Orlando and I got will go the opposite end and we’ll back here in an hour.”

“What about me?” Kevin glances around.

“You have to stay here and watch in case an attack happens here.” Nick starts gearing up, slipping on the black gloves, grabbing a few small weapons to tuck them in the allotted slots in his clothes.

“Psh. You just want a guy to watch over us.” Jynx crinkles her nose.

“Yeah that too. I don’t need to be worried about too many things if at least the pilot is here with you guys. Let’s head off guys.” Howie descends down the small pathway off the ship with his team.

Orlando budges quickly eager to be used to do something. He knew better then a lot of these people here. He has encountered everything. They needed him. And he loved that. He loved that he was apart of this and he will prevail. After all, a woman is on the line. And if he can show off his adventurer skills to her after her little fix it up with the ship, he could possibly impress her.

Trudging along with his team, he hops off the ship following them up the east end wondering what they will find beyond the hill.

Brian gazes around the rather oddly dry grassy fields and acid like lake spotted in further along up ahead. “I don’t get it. How can people come here to live? That water doesn’t even look safe to use.” He marches up the dry desert, feeling the brash wind sprinkle him with granites of sand across his cheeks.

“Its about surviving. I guess we adapt to things.” Howie pulls out a flash light from one of the pockets of his suit, turning it out to scan around the rather dimly lit plot of sandy land.

“This is a waste of time. No one lives here. I think that Jeremy was making an ass of us bringing us here. He’s trying to prove something that’s all.” Orlando scoffs, whipping out a mini pen like flashlight.

“What’s your problem with him? He didn’t do anything. At least he gave us some ideas. You just sat back and complained the entire ride over.” Brian smirks, feeling a glare coming from the English explorer.

Howie held his chuckle in, stepping over a rather odd boulder. Suddenly, as if the land was rigged, a rather loud snap was heard a distance off causing the three men to stop dead on their tracks.

“Maybe its nothing. I think it’s the weather messing with our minds. Let’s keep going. I don’t wanna stand around here waiting for things.” Brian starts on his way, taking a short pathway to his left. The deserted sandy road looked endless from his vision. He could hear the other two catch up, each wildly shining their flashlights around for anything.

Holding out a flashlight himself, he spots something protruding from the land before him. Out of the sand, a shiny object gleamed for their attention. Curiosity getting the best of him: Brian inches his way to the item beaming the flashlight on it.

“Did you find something Brian?” Howie calls out running over to him.

“Shhh…I dunno. It looks weird though doesn’t it?”

Orlando strolls over, raising his eyebrows: “Did you find something worth valuable?”

“I wouldn’t know. Never seen anything like it. It looks like some material, maybe a exotic mineral from here.” Brian kneels down, stretching his hand to the protruding triangle metal object. Clasping the small triangle in his hand, he begins tugging, yanking at it from the sand.

“Brian….” Howie urges “Maybe we should stop that.”

“Huh? Why?” Brian grunts, yanking at the object seeing it starting to move and slide out of the sand.

“Cause…I don’t think the rest of them like you doing that to their child.” Howie freezes petrified, seeing around them out of the sand rise silently sullen figures. Almost human in shape these creatures seemed metallic, shiny as they rise out of the ground encircling them. Each had four limbs just like humans and an oddly large egg shape head with large eyes that reached down to their tiny indented nose.

Brian finally pulls out the rather odd item, holding the 3-d triangle head in his hands. He frowns immediately seeing four waving tiny limbs with the small body attached to it. This wasn’t some item. It seemed to be one of the newest residents on this planet.

“Oh God…” Howie demands. “Drop the kid Brian.”

“What?”

“He said drop the bloody thing!” Orlando shouts out, pulling out his gun, aiming at the ever growing creatures surrounding them.

“Ever had that feeling that its gonna be a long day?” Brian fakes a small smile, dropping the little animal on the ground. The little creatures scuttles off on four legs over to its two legged parents who seemed rather annoyed with seeing visitors on their planets.

“Since when did humans look like this?” Orlando grunts, locking his aim on the first tall creature before him.

“Don’t know…maybe we took a wrong turn.” Howie tries to lighten the mood, clutching his gun tightly.

“Eh…I kinda wish it was Kevin out here for once and not me.” Brian frowns, sighing, hoping these creatures wouldn’t maul them all at once.
~*~

“Ha! Gold fish!” Skyla jumps up doing the cabbage patch. “Heeee did you see that? I won.”

Rhade chuckles, shaking her head: “We let you win that’s all.”

“Psh. I didn’t. I actually suck at this game.” Jynx folds her cards, smirking watching the young blonde still in celebration.

“What do you all think of that Orlando guy?” Rhade pipes out, adjusting her top.

“What about him?” Skyla plops on the small couch.

“Just in general.”

“Ohhh…not sure. Haven’t really talked to him but he seems a little too confident.” Skyla shrugs, twirling a strand of her hair.

“Heh…try stuck up. He thought he could fix the ship from what I heard the guys talking about.” Jynx cracks her knuckles, tapping her sleepy foot on the ground.

“Or could just be his male ego. Either way, he’s interesting.” Rhade’s lips curve into a smirk.

“You like him don’t you?” Skyla giggles, sitting up cross-legged on the sofa.

“Well…maybe a little. I just think he needs a nice woman’s touch and he’ll calm down.”

Jynx snickers, walking to the window: “And if that doesn’t work then maybe he needs a guy’s touch.” She sends a playful wink to Skyla who snickers out.

Rhade smiles, licking her lips. She’ll find out more about this adventurer soon enough and she couldn’t wait to be alone with the man.

~*~

“Dude where the hell are we going? Its like dead end here.” Nick grunts, batting away the sand particles that brush his face.

“Its here. There should be caves near by. They’re underground for safety reasons. If anything we’re probably standing over one now.” Jeremy clears his throat, adjusting his hat.

“Yeah well maybe Nicky boy is right. I don’t see nothing around but desert. Think we should met the others now?” A.J. looks around the field, the dead grass crinkles under his step.

“Relax. We just got here. Let’s finish here and then we can head out.” Jeremy fixes his hat, walking pass the small field reaching small broken down huts where large holes are spotted in the center of each of the huts. “Ha! Found them. Over here.”

Jogging behind, the other two catch up and reach the first house, stepping near the dark hole. Shining down their flashlights into the hole, they peer down to see nothing.

“Hello? Anyone down there?” Jersey yells.

Silence.

“Hey if you’re down there, We’re hear to help you out.” A.J bellows.

Silence.

“Agh this sucks ass.” Nick scratches his head searching around the other huts peering into each hole.

A loud cry breaks the dark muggy atmosphere as the three run towards the scream. They reach a gated house, clearly the walls were knocked down as a young man aims a gun at a metallic creature, yelling out obscenities.

Nick blinks, seeing the rather odd tall like creature growl, its claws bloody from recent killings. The creature steps towards the quivering man who seemed to be protecting a little child behind him.

Jersey didn’t wait to be told, she leaps out towards the creature grabbing a rock smashing it across its head. The creature cries out in agony, its now shattered head littered the ground as it drops dead before them.

The young man blinks and looks up at them holding his gun at them. “Get the fuck away!”

“Relax we’re here to help. Put the gun down.” Jeremy states, watching the tall man lower his gun unsure what to expect.

Nick goes over to the guy and spots the little girl curled in the corner scared. “Is she ok?”

“Yeah…just scared.” The dark haired man states, going over to the child picking her up in his arms.

“I’m Jeremy. This is Nick and he’s AJ. We’re on a hunt for any survivors here. We need back up and we need it fast.”

“Back up? Look at me?! You think I can back your ass up when I could barely kill that thing.” The man looks at her incredulously.

“Calm down. Look we’ll help ya. You can come with us. You look young enough to deal with the stuff around here. Where are the rest of the people here?” A.J. tucks his gun away.

“You’re looking at them. We’re the only ones left here. Those things…the Adamendians, is what I heard they’re called: came here to eliminate the rest of the earth survivors.” The dark haired man states, holding the little girl clenched to him.

“They killed everyone?” Jersey asks in shock.

The man nods: “Yeah…I manage to get away…after they killed my mom. Its just me and my sister now.” He mutters.

“Oh damn….wow Sorry…. Oh we didn’t get your name.” Nick says watching AJ sigh, shaking his head at the destroyed houses around them.

“I….I don’t have a name…”

“Or you just don’t want to tell us at the moment. That’s ok.” Jeremy smiles at the little dark haired girl who smiles softly back at him. Her bright azure eyes gleam in the rather in the dim lighting the sky showers down.

“Well you should come with us. You don’t want to run out of bullets and be screwed here. There’s a few more of us survivors on a running ship. We can fly out of here and get more people. There’s a battle brewing and we need to deal with it before it gets out of hand.” Nick replies, starting to head back to the ship along with A.J.

Jersey eyes the little girl, “Hey you have a name?”

“Erica.” The girl softly states, clinging to her big brother. She didn’t look no more than six or seven years of age.

“Interestingly you have a name but your brother doesn’t huh?” Jersey locked eyes with the tall guy who rolled his light eyes and takes Erica’s hand, starting to follow the others.

Sighing, Jersey follows the guys looking around at the ruined homes. “You two are lucky you’re still living if there was a massive attack here.”

“Yeah.” The tall man answers running a hand through his short dark locks.

“Erica is a brave girl there.” Jersey tells him, watching the little brunette in a messy ponytail nervously tugging on her pink printed shirt.

The guy stops and looks over at her; “Yeah….” He eyes her strangely and smirks.

Nick seeing this, manages to step back and get between them smiling, making sure there was distance between with the guy and Jeremy.

A.J. leads them down the pathway heading back to the ship as he checks his tracer, yawning wondering where the other group was.

“So dude…you really don’t have a name? What should we call you? Butt munch or something?” Nick jokes, causing a soft laugh to escape from Jersey.

“Heh…D is ok. How about that?”

“D like dog or dick?” Nick smirks, liking the fact he was getting to the guy.

Jeremy gently pushes Nick away holding back his laugh. “Heh let’s be nice to the poor people. They just went through tragedy.”

“Hey, just making him feel welcomed.” Nick flashes his smile at her, causing her heart to beat faster. He was annoying but still so appealing to her. She would have to control herself more around him. But she just didn’t know for how long.
~**~