- Text Size +
“Rebirth”


Chapter Two: Unwanted Beginnings

Nick raises a brow as he steps into the space station, his azure eyes taking his surroundings in. His _expression shows his obvious distaste for the place. He sighs quietly as he follows Howie, running a hand through his blonde spikes. His eyes focus on Howie for a moment, trying to read him. In the navy blue military uniform, Howie walks with confidence, his black curly locks were tied at by into a small ponytail, and there is no trace of fear that could be seen in him. Nick rolls his eyes at the place; well he could always escape and leave first chance he gets. No way is he going to stick around and battle aliens he knows they have no chance against.

Howie motions a hand as they enter what obviously has to be the kitchen, all the appliances in stainless steel and the temperature of the room dropped several degrees, no refrigerator is needed, the freeze dried food is stocked up and there was running water to add to it and make it regular food again. They then enter an adjourning room filled with cafeteria style tables for the men to sit at.

‘Great’ he thinks to himself, ‘We don’t even get real food in this joint. Perfect. That’s it, first time I’m sent out of here, I’m gone.’ He drowns out the words Howie is saying to him. No need to listen if he’s not going to stay.

Thoughts of his family filter into his brain. He sighs; he has never been particularly close to his parents but he cared about them, and his only sibling, Aaron. The two had been close and now he was gone. Gone because of a fight Humans were never going to win. Bitter thoughts encase his heart into a shield of steel. Never again would he let anyone close, he’ll only lose that person anyway eventually so what is the point of it all? He makes a silent vow then and there to never let anyone in. Too much pain, too much angst when they were torn away, and he’s not going to go through that again.

“Nick….Nick….Nickolas!”

Nick blinks and is brought back to reality to see a very annoyed Howie standing before him. A noncommittal _expression remains on the blonde’s young baby face. “Yeah?”

Howie rolls his eyes. “You ain’t going to get away with that shit here. Now let me bring you to you roommate.”

“Oh joy, sharing a room,” Nick replies dryly, flowing him

“Carter any other comments like that and you can sleep in the storage room.”

Nick shrugs; he’s done worse in times that were harder for him. Besides, he’ll still be leaving. He gives Howie a challenging look. Howie sighs, resisting the urge to roll his eyes. He had to get one of those “rebel” types. He wasn’t in the mood to put up with and little to Nick’s knowledge, he wasn’t going to let him get away with it if he didn’t quit. This man had never messed with Howie Dorough before. He leads Nickolas into the back. Perhaps Private Littrell would fare better with him.

Nick walks in behind Howie to see a young man with dark red locks and eyes the color of the bright blue sky on earth. He doesn’t notice the two enter as he reads from a book Nick can’t quite read the title of. Howie clears his throat some and the young man looks up and stands at attention. Howie smiles at him.

“At ease Littrell.” Littrell relaxes before them and his eyes skip over to what he assumes to be the new recruit.

“Nickolas this is Brian Littrell, he’s been here about a year now. Brian, I finally have a roommate for you, our newest draftee, Nickolas Carter.”

Nick nods at Brian. “It’s Nick.” He replies, shifting his gaze to Howie with annoyance for a moment.

Brian looks over Nick for a minute. He doesn’t look like he wants to be here, nor has he been scared in to listening to General Dorough. He suppresses a grin, this should be interesting. Nick goes and takes the empty bunk, setting his small bag of belonging on it and lays there on the bed, ignoring anything Brian or Howie had to say. Brian rolls his eyes and ignores the other young man as well. Already his rebel act is getting on the redhead’s nerves. Howie soon left with a grunt of anger and since Nick was being silent and broody Brian goes back to his bed but instead of reading his book he starts thinking back.

Brian himself was here by choice. Soon after the attacks, despite his family’s protests, he joined. Seeing his Aunt and Uncle’s examples, he felt compelled to. Besides, if they didn’t defend their home while they could, then they soon wouldn’t have one. He frowns, missing his family. He zapped them with his zap pad the other day, (a computer, phone, and camera all in one lil hand held device everyone gets at the age of 13) but he still wishes he could see them in person. He knows his cousins Jersey and Kevin, the two who lived in the houses next to him growing up, had to be going crazy. Jersey and Brian actually got into a huge argument about it before she left, hating the idea of him going, and was also angry at her other cousin for not being mad about it. Kevin on the other hand had supported him, and told him he should do what he feels he should do. Kevin himself would he be out here but he felt the family couldn’t take another one of them joining and stayed behind. He sighs; he and Jersey still haven’t talked since the day he left. He gets all the updates from Kevin and Kevin he has a feeling leaves a few things out since Jersey has always been the “black sheep” of the family. Perhaps when all this is over they could become the close friends they once were and go back to being “The Trio” as they were affectionately called as kids. He shakes his head at himself. He’s been here for a year and a half now, his past is just that. The past. For now he can’t do anything about it and he reminds himself to deal with it since he made his choice as he picks up his book again for the needed distraction.

~*~

Brian walks down the hall and grins as he spots Alex McLean, and since he’s already famous for his escapes with women of any intelligent species of the galaxy, soon earned his well known nickname, “Bone” for obvious reasons. He approaches the man, who is a few inches taller than him, and his arms inked with many tattoos, each, according to Alex, have a different meaning for him. His eyes are hidden behind dark sunglasses, despite how they are not needed in the darkness of space, or the florescent lighting of the Military Space Station. He was the first person he had met, seeing as the two had joined at the same time.

“Hey.”

“B, man what’s up?”

He shrugs, “I got a newbie living with me now..”

Alex’s dark coffee eyes brighten with some interest and he tilts his glasses down. He always likes meeting new recruits, well torturing them would be more accurate.

Brian nods, “Yeah,” a smirk appears, “Dorough hates him already. He’s a draftee.”

Alex grins mischievously, pushing his sunglasses onto the top of his head, to sit amongst the brown spiky hair.

“What Bone?”

“Nothing, I just thought of the perfect way to welcome our new little pain in the general’s neck.”