- Text Size +
“Rebirth”


Chapter 4: Never Safe, Never Simple


Jersey walks around the ship with a sigh. She doesn’t know why she agreed to get on this station with Jynx. She is far better off working at a space port. Less risk of anyone discovering who she is. She pushes her short golden locks out of her face, tucking them back under a baseball cap. Before she ran off away from all the familiar things she had known, she had cut off what was once her crowning glory, her long golden hair. Her hair that used to have gone down past the middle of her back, now it rests at her chin, long even for a boy but it works for her purpose. She goes for a rougher look, baggier clothing to hide her breasts which are more hidden by a contraption best described as a modern form of the corset. It’s holding them back but not painfully, with laser restraints. Always wearing a cap to hide her hair and face, which are undeniably feminine but attempts to pass herself off as a “pretty boy”. All this, to hide her true self. Better she is known as Jeremy, even if she has to give a few things up. She sighs, like the man she had spotted earlier, she knows she is just teasing herself by having Jynx hunt for information, yet she still wants it. She always wants the impossible. She continues down the hall, most assuming she works there. Jersey had even gotten herself registered under the refugees as Jeremy Shanton. She knows how to get the false documents and so far she hasn’t even needed them since in these hard times those are lost. Her eyes widen as someone she recognizes comes down the corridor.

“Oh of all the stations…” she mutters.

It’s Brian Littrell, her cousin. The one who had abandoned their family in her eyes. The one she swore never to talk to again. Especially when Kevin had left a few months ago to become a pilot. She has never forgiven Brian for that and she blames him for Kevin’s departure as well. She ran off soon after they left, not wanting to do what she considered pointless. Jersey knows Kevin is piloting this very ship as well. Why did she let Jynx talk her into going onto THIS refugee ship? Why couldn’t things be simple for once? Like back on the space port she had been at when she met Jynx. The former refugee ship Jynx had been on had been attacked and she had been one of the few survivors who managed to get one of the escape pods and get to the port. Aliens have never liked humans and now are taking advantage to be cruel in the human race’s desperate situation.

It had been awhile since another ship came by so the two bonded then when Jynx had accidentally discovered that “Jeremy” who was working there, was in all actuality a young woman named Jersey Luna Shantlle . The two connected in a rare way and been friends since. Jynx is the only one now who knows everything, her situation, her family, all of it and helps her out by pretending to be “Jeremy’s” girlfriend. Jersey sighs, her thoughts going back to why she had left earth. Her entire family is mad. Always had she been considered the outcast. No one in her family agrees with her thinking. They all think one way, she does another. Heh, she had sense was all. She knows both Brian’s and Kevin’s parents had gotten on another ship but she wasn’t sure what happened to them. Getting on the ship she did was a stroke of luck. She and Jynx slipped on in the chaos of passengers fighting to get on and they assumed they were on the list. And they were…once Jersey had written their names on it when no one was paying attention. Never has it been questioned either, times are too crazy for paperwork to be a concern. Of course now her luck isn’t so great seeing as she got on the one ship her two cousins were on. She tried to walk past without Brian noticing but she knows him, he’s friendly for the most part so if he doesn’t recognize her; which she doubts since she has changed a lot since he left, then he might introduce himself.

Jersey is so caught up in her thoughts about all that has gone on, she rams right into him and stumbles back on the floor. She sighs. Perfect, the one person who can ruin her charade. She gazes up and meets his eyes, the eyes of the man who used to be her best friend at one time.

He reaches out a hand to help her out. “Sorry man, you alright?”

She nods, “Yeah…” She chuckles, wanting to get away as soon as she can. “ I was just out of it, ya know. Tired from practicing killing off those alien bastards.” She keeps her voice low, it has become second nature, and even does it sometimes by accident when she is alone with Jynx.

“I feel ya. You new around here?”

“Sort of, name’s Jeremy.”

“Brian.” The two shake hands and she glances around, and is completely amazed. Obviously she’s gotten good at this. “I’m gonna go lay down before we land, try not to ram in anyone else.”

He laughs, “Alright, see ya around.”

Jersey hurries off towards her room when she spots the man she saw yesterday farther down. She feels her heart stop for a moment as she takes him in, his bright blue eyes mesmerizing and pulling her in. She shakes her head at herself to get herself out of it and she continues to her room. As far as her story goes as Jeremy, Jynx is her girlfriend, can’t be contradicting that by having others think she’s gay.


******************


Nick saunters down the hall, already trying to get a look at the place they’ll be landing at soon. Better to get out now than stay here. His new roommate isn’t all that great either. Decided he and a friend of his should mess with Nick. Soaked in a slimy goo and covered with feathers had been the end result, and he would have shown them not to mess with him but General Dorough had come in just then. Just his damn luck. He has to leave, there’s got to be better places to go than this. Since he has nothing left, why not start over elsewhere and at least keep his life intact? What were they going to do if he just leaves, arrest him? Ha, soon there wouldn’t be an earth to have a jail for them to put him in. He is in the clear. Suddenly, the spaceship starts trembling roughly and Nick grabs tightly on to the side of the wall to attempt to keep himself standing.

“What the hell!?” He demands angrily. Sure sometimes the ship shook, they are in space, but not like this, it feels like…his stomach lurches slightly, it feels like they are being attacked. Suddenly a young man about 5’6” feet tall, shaggy blonde hair tucked under a cap, and blue eyes falls back against him along with a young woman. She iss tanner, with long dark brown locks, and soft brown eyes, both fell because of another lurch of the ship. Nick grunts annoyed.

“Sorry,” He mutters, pushing himself off of Nick. The guy who had fallen then helps the young woman up as well. He looks to her with concern.

“You alright?” He asks.

She nods to him. “All Good.” Nick figures them to be boyfriend and girlfriend.

Nick stands again and listens for somebody to inform them just what the hell is going on. “It’s aight…Jesus, what the hell is going on?”

“I think something is attacking as we were trying to land on Pleatus . I’m Jeremy by the way, and this is my girl Jynx.”

He nods, “feels like it, damn. I’m Nick, you recruit or a refugee?”

“Ehh Unwilling refugee.” Jeremy replies with a chuckle.

Jynx frowns, watching them both. “You think it’s really an attack?”

“Probably, and any minute they’ll call for the recruits to get in the smaller ships to fight. And to that I say hell no.” Nick tells them firmly, keeping his balance this time as the ship lurches dramatically from side to side yet again.

Jynx watches him curiously, “You’d desert?”

“I ain’t getting my ass killed in a battle I don’t think we’ll win.”

Jeremy nods in agreement, “I almost don’t blame ya there.”

‘Attention everyone. We’re being attacked by the Mystyrians who had foreseen we would come here. All solders get to your stations and ships!”

“Great and what happens to us that aren’t fighting?” the dark haired woman wonders almost bitterly. She looks out the window and glimpses a small part of the battle. The humans are dropping like flies. Soon the fighters will be gone and no one will be left to battle.

Nick glances at them both, “Well I know where the ships are, I was gonna use one to desert this pop stand anyway.” He informs them with a smirk. “We take one, and leave.”

“You’ll just leave?”

“Well Jynx, you can get out of here alive if I do and take you guys with me.”

She shares a look with Jeremy for a second, doubts clouding her eyes. Jeremy seems to think about it for a moment and then nods. “hell yeah, I just need to grab someone first. I know where the ships are too. Which one we going to?”

“The one marked “Littrell and Carter”, my ship and we can make my annoying partner tag along.”

Jeremy looks at Jynx. “Aight…Go with him, there ain’t a way we’ll win this one and I don’t want you getting killed. We need survivors.”

Jynx nods and Nick watches as Jeremy races off down the hall. He glances at the beautiful Spanish woman. “lets go” He grabs her hand and leads her down to the docking floor. Looked like he’s leaving sooner than he thought.


****************

Alex runs down the halls in a rush as the ship takes more hits as he heads down the way to his fighter ship. Skyla is getting dragged behind him. He can tell right now that this ship is taking on too much damage. As for his partner, well he had found him dead under some of the fallen debris in one of the more damaged parts of the ship. There will be room for her and something inside him nags at him not to leave the young woman behind. He looks back at her, dust beginning to fall upon her face and hair, her golden locks disheveled about her face, and her green eyes fearfully skipping about at all the destruction the ship is taking more and more of.

“Where are we going!?” she yells at him.

Alex glances back behind him at her again. His dark chocolate eyes filling with concern. “My ship! I’m taking you with me! This ship isn’t going to last long!”

“What about those Mystyrians?”

“I’ll fight any that get in my way,” He answers determinedly, “But My first concern is keeping us and anyone else we run into who needs a lift, alive!”

AJ pushes past wires and debris to where his docking space is for his ship. If he sees anyone in need of help, he would take them, if not, well the sooner he gets off this now doomed space craft with Skyla, the better.


****************


Jersey runs down the hall stumbling as the ship keeps taking on more and more hits. Soon their deflector shield will be down and they would be sitting ducks. It had been hard despite all that, talking to Nick though. Her crush has intensified being around him and keeping that hidden had not been easy. Last thing she needs is hints that she, well Jeremy, is gay. Right now, that’s not her main concern though. She knows now Brian shares a ship with Nick so that will be simple,. He’ll be safe as they will be, but what about Kevin? She has to convince him as Jeremy that they needed to evacuate now. If he is alright anyways. If he is hurt, Jersey is willing to carry him to the fighter space plane if she has to. She doubts that though, so she has to be prepared to convince him. Her parents had taught her so many military tactics growing up, and she can easily see this battle going on around them right now can not be won. Once the creatures feel they have full victory, they’ll chase the large ship, and so they can’t stay. For once they board, anyone still alive will be killed or worse. If they all take the fighter ships and the escape pods they will have a lesser chance of getting them all. She sighs. Why this ship? Why can’t she be safe on a ship that has been undetected by those damn Mystyrians? Why can’t things for once be safe and simple?