- Text Size +
“Rebirth”

-“Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die.”

~Chapter Five- Twisted Methods

The loud booming echoed around the ship, the sirens wailing in emergency.

He gulps, holding onto the side of the metal railings aligning the control center of the ship. What was he doing stuck in here? In all the places and thoughts he never thought he would live to see the end of the world and its civilization. But he did… and that scared him more than anything. Howie looks around seeing the recruits and refugees running around the heavily shaking ship. He was suppose to take control of the situation but how can he when he himself needed help in this mess. He sees a tall dark haired man and rushes over to him, glad to see he found someone aboard here working along side of him. If he had a choice, he wouldn’t have ever made it to the ship, he lost everything that ever meant anything to him. His past was just that…his past, a distance memory lost among this new onslaught of war. So many soldiers were already lost in the battle and he couldn’t believe the new race of Mystyrians caught up to them already. He clings to the side of the ship forcefully as it begins to nose dive down to land on Pleatus. All this time making it to the safe havoc and he wouldn’t live long to see it. He whispers out a prayer, the only thing he knew he would calm his racing soul as he sees his death approaching.

“What are you doing Dorough?! Move!” The co-pilot shouts out, grabbing Howie’s arm pushing him down the cracking ship. Already parts of metal swung off the wall and the impact of Pleatus’s rough terrain will destroy it all.

Howie nods, racing down the tilting hallway, loose wires and faltering lights shatter the ground before him as a strange pulling sound was heard among the rumble.

“What is that?” Kevin whispers out, gulping ducking in time from a overhead swinging florescent panel.

Howie blinks, sucking in air: “The ship is breaking in half.”
~*~

Jynx eyes the tall fair headed man, he was very attractive, she could understand why Jersey had quite the thing for the man. Perhaps she can seek out answers in hopes of trying to understand this new man before her. She follows him down the tilting hallway, gasping as a huge metal wire lashes out from above her almost striking her.

Nick grabs onto her arm pulling her along with him safely away from all the mess. The ship was falling apart around them and they had limited time to exit before they crashed landed. Seeking out the emergency exits, Nick finds his small ship labeled ‘Littrell and Carter’ and sighs out in relief: opening the small clasp allowing the small platform of the ship to slide out.

“Get in.” He orders, looking around for anyone else that needed help. He spots Brian jogging over to them ducking as a florescent light panel comes crashing down inches away from him.

“Nick! Oh God…we’re screwed, we need to get out here now!” The shorter red headed man yells out.

“No kidding, get in I’m leaving this hell hole.” Nick races to the driver’s side, stepping into the sliding platform. Brian reaches the passenger side and gulps pausing for a few seconds.

“What are you doing?! We need to go, get in.” Jynx shouts out, eyeing the man strangely.

Brian licks his lower lip, shaking his head: “I can’t go without knowing if my cousin made it out alright.”

“Dude, your cousin is probably dead, sorry to burst the bubble but we ain’t got time for him. Now get in or you’re getting left behind.”

A loud beeping over the siren goes off, a female computerized voice cuts in “We are under attack. Please leave the premises immediately. We are under attack. Seek shelter.”

Brian snorts at the announcement. What shelter? The only place he ever knew was gone, he has no shelter. In fact every person that survived here was homeless and lost. Looking around, he sighs sliding into the passenger side as the metal door closes down behind him. “Ok…time to go then.”

Without missing a beat, Nick slams down on the accelerator, turning on the ignition to bring the ship to life. Jynx watches the two men curiously, sitting in the white plastic seat behind them.

Fixing the small-framed mirror besides him, Nick glances at it to see the reflection of the woman behind him. “You ready?”

She nods, nervously clasping her hands together. She wanted to live and tell this story to her grandchildren one day, but that day was beginning to get bleaker by each second.

Brian turns around seeing the entire main ship begin to divide and separate in half. Gasping, he watches from the window the large ship opening up as some soldiers fall out of the ship to their final destination, death.

Nick lifts their small ship off the surface of the lot, speeding off as the ship behind them crumbles around.
~*~

She was stupid to have stayed behind, she wanted to seek answers and help out, but the ship was dead, the few survivors scream out in horror as they hold on to their dear lives. Jersey gulps, her gaze stunned at how close to Pleatus’s land they were. She feels a hard tug on her arm and quickly frowns locking eyes with a familiar man.

“A.J. right?” She gruffly speaks out, tugging the base of her baseball cap over her eyes.

“Yeah…what are you doing?! There’s one more ship left here, we can get the hell out before we reach land now. Move it!” A.J. yells out over the roaring of the deteriorating ship around them.

Jersey nods, landing her eyes on Skyla: the small petite golden haired woman. “Alright then, lead the way man. I think I saw some evacuees head down the southern end, there’s a large exit that way.”

“Na…that the back up ship. I have my own and I’m taking Skyla with me. You’re welcome to join, I can’t find my partner anyways. If anything he’s probably dead like half the people on this ship.” A.J. stands his ground firmly, his body swaying as the ship vibrates and sailed down to the land.

Jersey gulps and obligates, following the two to A.J.’s small ship. Quickly boarding it, A.J. smiles over at Skyla who simply blushes as the ship turns on. Jersey sighs, wondering what Nick was doing and if they all made it alright. If something happens to Jynx she wouldn’t forgive herself for it. She had to make sure her friend was safe and hoped that they can all make it down to Pleatus safe and sound. Jersey buckles up as A.J. slams on the pedals and at breakneck speed flies out of the crumbling ship safe and sound.
~*~

Howie sighs out in relief settling down in the safety ship. The main ship was now destroyed and only one causality among the recruits inside the ship occurred. He looks out into the black atmosphere, the eerie silence of space welcomes him as Kevin flies the safety plane out of the disastrous crash. He could hear the soft murmurs and cries from a few survivors behind him and exhales.

“That was a close call.” Kevin whispers out, putting the ship on automatic driving, settling back in his seat. His eyes drooped with tiredness and he longed for a nice peaceful sleep that was never going to occur.

“I know, at least we got everyone out of the plane safely.” Howie whispers out, running a hand through his thick dark hair.

“Yeah…general…by any chance…have you ever seen a Mystyrians face to face, close up?” Kevin whispers out tiredly.

“Yes.” Howie slowly states, frowning. “Why?”

“Just curious. I never did. Are they ugly? Do they look like the creatures we see in movies and such?” Kevin crosses his arms on his chest, resting his head on head pad the seat provided.

“No…they come in disguise at first. They look like us…normal people. But when its time for them to reveal themselves it was when they hunt and kill. I managed to escape a close attack from home but they look far worse than what people can ever portray them to be. Its like looking at the face of Satan if you believe in that. They look like large winged demons, fangs aligned like a shark’s. They have crimson colored claws and arms with black eyes that can darken your soul with just a look. They’re brutal and have no mercy for any race. And what makes them more frightening isn’t their appearance but rather their determination. And if anyone has such strong determination, that is the worst for they always win in the end and will keep on going until they can win the war.” Howie explains, watching Kevin gulps. The older man frowns, shaking his head at him.

“Well I’ll be damned. That is some crazy crap right there. What now? They’re surrounding us and we’re about to land on Pleatus in one minute.” Kevin whispers out.

“All I can say is pray. Pray and hope for the best. That’s all we can do now.” Howie quietly states, his dark eyes locked on the front wide window as the light tan terrain welcomes them.
~*~

The small ship sputters and chokes landing grimly on the sandy ground below them. Brian sighs, pushing the handle as the small platform slides out for exit.

“We made it.” Jynx sighs, feeling a wash of relief flood over her. Her only hopes now was to see if Jersey made it safely out of the ship as well. She can see the destroyed ship they were on earlier crumbled in a heap mass of smoke and crackling fire, the metal gleaming in the shining fire. It almost looked mystical, beautiful the fire dancing around the metal remains of the ship. The way the surface light from the planet catches the fire light, making it almost a faint golden color brushed with orange and red. A slight blue flame would make an appearance among the burning mess as Nick parks the ship turning around to gaze at Jynx.

“Yes?” She tilts her head to him.

He smiles, shaking his head: “Nothing…just glad to see you’re ok. Let’s check out this place. I need more fuel to get out of here.”

Nodding, Jynx walks off the landing platform, her boots touching the finest sand around. The light colored sand seemed almost inviting and pleasurable as she walks behind the two men looking around the desolate place. This was their safety? Where were the people waiting to meet them? Where was the communities, the houses, the families, the stores, supplies? Did they land in the right place or take a wrong turn? Frowning, she stops her tracks, seeing Brian stop a few feet ahead of her.

“What?” He asks, his hands shoved in the thin space suit they put on during the flight here to protect them from the harsh environment.

“Its just…where is everybody here? I thought Pleatus was a thriving community. I heard so much of it. And its just all land here that’s all.” Jynx frowns, gazing down at her white thin cotton space suit.

“It was a thriving community…until the Mystyrians came a few days ago. There’s not much left here, but we’ll have to make use of it until we can fly out of here and go elsewhere.” Brian states, gazing around the black sky.

“Go where? There’s nothing left. Everything we know is gone. We can’t stay anywhere else and its too late for that.” Nick hisses out, frowning for his past. Here he was shipped off as refugee and suppose recruit cause he has no one else to turn to.

Brian slumps to the ground frowning, upset: “What are we gonna do? We’re not prepared to live here. Where’s the food, water, shelter, sun?”

Nick pats the side of his suit sighing: “We’ll figure it out. There has to something left over around here. Farming is good at around this time I read, maybe we’ll find something to eat.”

Jynx sniffs, gulping as she drops her head: “Yeah and we can make a tent or something for now until we can find better means.”

Brian nods and the three slowly make their way down the isolated burned stone paved streets of what once was a prosperous civilization.
~*~

The small ship buckles into the sand, groaning out in its last attempt before shutting off. A.J. breaths out a sigh of relief: cracking his neck to release the building tension that arose from the faltering ship. He got them to safety and was just glad to still be alive. “We made it last. Thank God almighty we made it at last.” He smirks, unbuckling his seatbelt opening the side door, the metal door flips open above him as he steps off the ship with a stunned and rather quiet Skyla besides him.

“Hey its ok, we’re safe. Nothing to worry about.” He reassures the young shaking woman as she gulps taking in her surroundings. She looks over at Jeremy stepping out and smiles. There was something uniquely odd about that man. He seemed so laid back and seemed to know more about this craziness then she can ever know at the moment. He was quite a pretty boy, too pretty for a boy but smirks holding in her comment.

Jersey strolls over to the couple smiling: “Not bad. Gotta say you saved our asses nicely back there.”

“Not a prob, I’m sure you would have done the same as well.” A.J. shrugs off the comment looking around the area. “So this is Pleatus. All this talk about how great this place is and it looks like an abandoned arena.” A.J. snorts, scanning the dirt roads and crushed buildings.

“Whatever happened here, looked like it was under attack as well.” Jersey states, the light eyes falling on Skyla.

“Under attack?” Skyla gulps: “Maybe we shouldn’t be here. What if whatever attacked them is still here?”

“We don’t really have a choice at the moment. We’ll have to stay here until something better comes along. But don’t worry you got the best gun man around. I can shoot an alien a good few yards off.” He smiles broadly, walking along the sandy ground.

Jersey blinks, clearing her throat as not to scream at the monstrous creature rising from the dirt ground behind A.J. Skyla hears the soft shifting of the sand behind her letting out a loud scream as the creature like being stared down before the three of them.

A.J. pulls out his gun and aim it at the alien, ready to kill off the Mystyrian in an ease, but stands there stunned holding the gun.

“Dude shoot the thing! What the hell are you doing?!” Jersey calls out, looking for a gun herself.

The Mystyrian grins, rows of its teeth protruded from its smile as its deadly bloody claws fingered out Jersey.

Blinking and trying to remain in character she responds gruffly to pass off as her persona Jeremy: “Heh…its pretty funny isn’t it? Can I ask you why you aren’t shooting?” She hisses out at A.J. wondering what was the delay.

A.J. gulps, whispering out: “I’m out of bullets.”