- Text Size +
“Rebirth”


“We’ll show the world they were wrong, and teach them how to sing along, singing Amen, I’m alive, Amen, I’m alive…If everyone cared and nobody cried, if everyone loved and nobody lied, if everyone shared and swallowed their pride….we’d see the day when nobody died. If everyone cared and nobody cried, if everyone loved and nobody lied, if everyone shared and swallowed their pride….we’d see the day when nobody died. And as we lie beneath the stars, we realize how small we are…”
- Nickelback, “If Everyone Cared”


Chapter Six: Lost and Alone


Brian, Nick, and Jynx trekked across the burnt, barren planet, searching for any sign of life. All wondering if anyone else was able to escape the ship before its final destruction. None of them thought anyone did. Despite how they were together, each of them felt as if they were alone on this hard quest to find a sanctuary, not just for themselves, but any other survivors they could find. If there was any.

Jynx was walking behind the two men slowly, her dark doe eyes sadly glanced around at all the destruction the Mystyrians had caused. All was in ruin. It reminded her of her house one earth when she barely escaped during a raid. She wondered what was left of and on Earth now, if anything, if anyone. Thoughts of the family she had lost before meeting her closest friend came to mind. Their brutal deaths, how they helped her stay alive before she died, and how she missed them. She was also thinking of her best friend, knowing Jersey had to have gone back for Kevin and hoping she got out alright. The two had been through a lot so far and she didn’t want to lose her now after everything, but something inside told her she made it out just fine. Her mind kept wondering just how they were going to find safety in such a barren place. Did these two men know what they were doing?

Brian was watching the pitch black sky, the only light coming from the tiny pale blue planet above them, reminding him of the moon back home. Home, home made him think of the family he left behind. His parents, who were so proud to see him follow his aunt and uncle’s footsteps, then of his two favorite cousins out of the huge extended family he grew up with. Kevin, wondering if his cousin had gone with the ship, praying he didn‘t. Jersey, if she was even alive after all the attacks on earth. Last he had heard was she was thinking of becoming a dancer, which had infuriated her parents, and how she was rebelling against everything their family stood for. His aunt and uncle, her parents, had recently died in battle just a month before, did she know yet? Throughout the ranks there were rumors of another member of their family rising up to lead as the tradition stated. The army ran differently in this day and age, and if you were the child of such a highly respected military leader and warrior, you were expected to be next in line to lead. The children were raised to. It had been that was since the year 2069. Nothing came of the rumors though.

Nick was thinking only of himself just then, wondering how he got himself in this cursed mess and wishing he had tried to leave earlier instead of being stuck on this planet. Deep down he wanted to think of his family, and subconsciously he did, but he didn’t realize it and just thought of himself. It was less painful to be selfish so it was an instinctive protective action he didn’t know he was doing. A loud roaring noise interrupted the three adults’ thoughts and Brian spotted something shiny landing up ahead. His eyes widened as he recognized the marks on the ship.

“Hey that’s one of our ships!” he cried, about to run down and see who it is.

Jynx’s eyes brightened, hoping her friend was on there. Jersey was resourceful and would have found a way. At least, she hoped so. “Really? Maybe they have fuel and we can go somewhere else and-”

Nick raised a brow and grabbed them both to stop them. “We don’t know if it’s them or not. It can be some damn alien who found one of the ships in the wreckage and brought it here…”

Brian frowned, “That would be a heck of a coincidence.”

She sighed, “We should check shouldn’t we?”

The handsome blonde rolled his eyes. “Yeah let’s get killed after just escaping death barely.”

Before they could argue more, they heard a blood curdling roar not of anything Jynx and Nick have heard before, but Brian had. He glanced at the others.

“That’s a Mystyrian, whatever is over there, could need our help.” He raced over there, fully loaded guns in hand. Jynx followed him in a rush and Nick sulkily trailed behind, thinking he’s about to die after thinking he got his life saved. Perfect.

Brian charged at the creature, guns blazing, not noticing who it was about to attack. Jynx spots Jersey, or “Jeremy” and was about to run towards her but Nick grabs her and holds her back, yelling “Are you fucking nuts! You’ll get killed! “

The winged creature hovered above the ground, swiping its claws at Brian and Jeremy who swiftly and skillfully rolled on the ground to avoid it. It roared again, its screech almost deafening as its pitch black eyes stared into them with a pure look of hatred. Skyla screamed in terror, having never actually seen one before. AJ dived towards the ground with Skyla in his arms to protect her. A gun slipped out of Brian’s hands as he dodged, and Jeremy quickly grabbed it. He took a few carefully aimed shots but before he could kill it, its claws slashed his stomach and the gun rolled by AJ‘s feet. He grabbed it and kept shooting it again and again, dark navy blood rushed out, almost black, along the ground. AJ sighed and Jeremy grunted in pain as the Mystyrian fell to the ground dead. Nick comes over with Jynx once it is. Brian takes a few breathes and glances over at the new companions they have just discovered.

Jersey sits on the ground holding her stomach in pain. She spots her friend and a small, thankful smile appeared. Even though she had left her with Nick to lead her to his and Brian’s ship she had been worried something had stopped her from escaping the main and now destroyed shuttle. Jynx ran over and hugged her carefully. “Are you alright?” The raven haired girl asked with concern.

She nods. “Yeah I’m aight.” Jersey forced herself to stand, not wanting someone to check her wound out, lest they discover her secret.

Brian dusted himself off and nodded. “Thanks man, you have some skills, why weren’t you recruited? And maybe one of us should check that out…”

Jersey shrugged, “No clue, and nah, I’ll use the cream we have on the ship in the med kit.”

AJ held Skyla close, enjoying the embrace. Skyla stood there, feeling safe in his arms, and in slight shock at what just happened. Hey jade eyes watched Jeremy. “You sure?” She said with a frown.

Jeremy gave her a brisk nod, and sounded almost defensive as he replied “Yeah yeah I can take care of it.” He headed inside the ship without another word and Jynx was soon to follow.

Nick shook his head at the whole incident. “Any idea where we’re gonna rest tonight?”

The red haired man shook his head. “Still a good question We should get moving because they don‘t travel alone so more will soon follow and discover the handiwork.”

“They’ll come in as a plague.“ AJ commented as he looked around. “Damn. This place is in ruins, fucking Mystyrians. Jeremy and his girl better get moving.”

Skyla looks over at the ship. “Is it just me or is that Jeremy a bit…I don’t know….strange.”

The blonde man shrugs. “A bit quiet is all.”

“Hiding something.” Brian replied, as he ran a hand through his brick red locks.

“Don’t be paranoid B; we have enough of that shit with the aliens.”

“Jay, we ARE the aliens now.”

“Don’t fucking remind me.”


***************


Jersey had immediately gone into the bathroom in the back of the spacecraft slowly with a bit of agony. She was waiting till Jynx came in, knowing she’d follow, before she locked the door and pulled out the medical kit. She winced as she moved to pull her shirts off since the space suit she had worn came off easily. They came off slowly and had absorbed her blood quickly.

Jynx watched her in concern. “That looks serious.”

“Just a few scratches.” She replied to her friend, and gave her a weak smile as she took off the corset type contraption, revealing three long semi-deep gashes along her stomach, covered in blood from the creature’s damage. The torn tissue itself red and raw.

Jynx rolled her eyes as she started cleaning the wound before putting the healing cream on which would help all kinds of cuts heal within two days. Jersey winced at the sting it caused but said nothing of it. “You façade isn’t worth getting killed over.”

“Nobody’s getting killed. I’m fine, in a few days, good as new.”

“You should just give it up.”

“I ain’t leading what’s left of the freaking human race into more death; I’m doing what any smart person would do. Jeremy is a random nobody and that’s what I want, to be nobody. Let General Dorough lead them if he wants. ” Here she sighed heavily and winced at the pain it caused. “Look what it got my parents. Fuck my cousin is out there! I can’t let him know.”

Jynx’s eyes widened in surprise. “Which one is your cousin? You didn’t tell me one of them was onboard.”

“I didn’t know till today, it’s Brian. Then there’s the Lieutenant and co pilot, who I heard was Kevin, who if I’m lucky is alive, he’s the other cousin I grew up with.”

“Small army.”

“No shit.” She stood after the cream is on, as she moved to put the corset contraption back on, Jynx rushed to stop her.

“No, you’re hurt! You can’t wear it. Besides you‘re a “guy” who has a thing for that Nick guy now?”

“And what, pretend I grew man boobs in ten minutes? As for that other thing, I‘ll get to that when I have to.” She put it on after pulling it away and winced in pain. “I’m fine.” She was able to get it on and pulled her shirts back on over it, looking as if nothing happened, the only evidence being the marks on her shirts.

“Oh yeah you’re fine alright, and I’M the one who’s pretending to be a boy around here.”

“Really now? It’d be nice to have company.”

“Oh ha ha. This isn’t a time to joke chica.”

“I ain’t gonna freak out over something we can’t change. We’re stuck here for now, Mystyrians are after us, and we don’t know the planet. We’re fucking screwed, I know, but is thinking about it REALLY gonna make it help? So instead I think of ways to get around the ‘me pretending to be a guy/wanting Nick/can’t be thought of as a gay male problem.’ Because if I think of our sitch...it just doesn’t help.” She grinned just a little to lighten her statement. “My new issue I mean.”

Jynx couldn’t help but chuckle, knowing Jersey was trying to cheer her up despite the somber situation they were now all in. “Put your hat back on, you’re already too pretty a pretty boy, you need it.”

She puts the hat back on her friend’s head as he two headed back out. As they go to where the others were just outside the ship; they find them surrounded by strange new creatures. They weren’t the Mystyrians. These were taller creatures, with green skin, four arms, beady little blue eyes and two heads. The main way one could tell a male from a female was the hair. Males had short spiky blue hair while the girls had rough, long violet locks. They outnumbered the group by far and the others had their hands bound together. Jersey immediately reached for her gun instinctively but was stopped when what looked to be the leader spoke up in a squeaky voice.

“Try anything and this one gets it.” He grabbed Brian and held a sharp blade to his throat. He could see Jersey struggling with the decision. “He’ll be dead before the shot hit me.”

Jersey and Jynx glance around them as the creatures moved in on them. The blonde sighs with defeat, drops the gun, and gets captured along with the others. No one saw the third earth ship landing far in the distance as they were lead away further into the ruined cities of Pleatus.