- Text Size +
“Love Can Save”

-“I've loved a lot, hurt a lot
Been burned a lot in my life and times
Spent precious years wrapped up in fear
With no end in sight
Until my saving grace shined on me
Until my saving grace set me free

Giving me peace
Giving me strength when I'd
Almost lost it all
Catching my every fall
I still exist because you keep me safe
I found my saving grace within you.” –Mariah Carey’s “My Saving Grace.”

**~No Conspiracy ~**

A.J. blots down the hallway, his heart was pounding heavily as he reached Yasmine’s apartment. Nick, Brian and Kevin were gasping for breath behind him, catching up to him as Howie creaks open the door, a frown covering his delicate face.

A.J. gulps, sliding through the threshold, passing Howie. “Something happened didn’t it?” He whispers, his eyes trailing over to the carved kitchen counter.

The others enter the apartment, gently closing the door behind them as they all stare at the deranged messaged chipped into the mahogany counter.

“OH GOD!” Brian cries out as he eyes Howie.

“What happened?” A.J. slowly whispers out, his back facing Howie at the moment.

‘There, there was a prob, problem when I went to pick up some mail.” Howie clamors out in fright.

“D, where’s Yas?” Nick asks quietly, stepping around him.

“In her room. She’s upset with what happened.”

“He got to her!?” Nick trembles out.

A.J. bites his lower lip, shaking his head in anger. “How could this happen! How the hell could this happen to her again!” He bellows, knocking over an array of flowered vases aligning the shelves in the den. The loud crash of the glass breaks the deafening silence that consumed them all. A.J. rubs his eyes, letting out a sob. “I told her that she would be safe. I told her that won’t happen to her. That I would protect her. That, that man won’t ever harm her and I let her down!”

Kevin gulps, unable to respond for the first time. He was caught in shock as well, slowly sitting down on the edge of a sofa.

Nick stares down at the light blue carpet placed in the den quietly, remaining silent as Brian approaches A.J.

“Maybe you should go talk with her.” He whispers, his wet sapphire eyes shining.

A.J. sniffs and shakes his head, “Maybe this was all a big mistake. This is too hard for me to handle.”

“What’s a mistake?” Kevin whispers finally, his cracking as he fights with his emotions.

A.J. remained silent, his back facing the others.

“J, you’re not alone man. You have us. We’ll all help out if you need it. I mean we’re family.” Nick responds quietly.

“I’m so sorry Alex.” Howie whispers.

A.J. nods his head, “I know you are. It’s not your fault. There’s something not right with this picture. I’m gonna start making calls and see if we track down the person.”

“Ok and hey if you wanna talk, we’ll be here to listen.” Brian gently whispers.

A.J. sniffs, wiping a stray tear that managed to escape down his cheek. “Thanks. But forget it.” And with that, he makes his way to Yasmine’s master bedroom. Knocking on the door gently, he turns the cooper knob and pokes his head into the threshold. He can see Yasmine staring out the large glass pane window, crying silently as little Faith was quietly sleeping. Without saying a word, he steps into the room and wraps his arms around her as she looks up at him and buries her head in the nook of his neck.

He didn’t say anything, but held her quietly in his arms for as long as she wanted him too. She sniffs and smiles, touching his cheek. “Where you crying?”

A.J. jumps up at her voice and nods, “Yeah.”

“Why?”

“What do you mean why? I want you to be safe but I feel horrible about what occurred to you. I let you down.”

Yasmine wraps her arms tightly around his neck, smiling. “Don’t be. I understand that man wanted attention and he did what he did. But the one thing I learned from being in rehab is no matter how much the body breaks down, my soul he can never have. He can’t win this over.”

“But you’re sad. And I could have done something. If Howie didn’t leave then…”

He stops speaking as Yasmine gently presses her firm lips on his. He stiffens up, nervous, afraid of this unexpected action. She pulls away from him with a smirk scrolled on her face,

“What’s wrong? You act like you never were kissed before?” Yasmine giggles softly, her emerald orbs wet with past tears.

“I wasn’t expecting that. That’s all.”

Yasmine smiles gently trying her best to remain strong under everything that has occurred.

A.J. strokes her cheek, allowing her to bury her head on his neck. “Yas, I’m so sorry for…”

“Alex. It’s alright. I’m not mad at you for what happened and you have nothing to be sorry for. Just hold me.”

A.J. nods and obliges, maintaining his hold around her small body. “I promise to never let you go again.”

Yasmine smiles, inhaling his cologne: her fingers tracing the collar of his black tank top. “Do you believe in guardian Angels?”

“What?”

“You know it’s funny. Before you came in here a few minutes before I was close to cursing God out.” Yasmine whispers, her breathing coming out ragged.

A.J. smirks, “And did you?”

“No. I couldn’t. I’m upset with God, but I can’t disown him. I’m just lucky to still be here, talking to you. But do you believe in guardians angel?”

A.J. cradles her gently, rocking her into in his embrace. “Yeah.”

Yasmine pulls away from him, her eyes locking with his, “Really?”

Smiling, he nods and pulls her back into his arms. “Yeah. I have you in my life for a reason.”

Yasmine smiles, “You think I could be your angel?”

A.J. tightens his grip, cupping her chin gently with his hand, “You already are.” And he leans in to seal the deal with a gentle kiss.
~*~

He checks off another person off the list in the chart, grumbling. “Nothing. This guy haven’t seen Yasmine since seventh grade.” Howie places his pen down on the counter.

Kevin picks up his cell, punching in another number from the list, “I’ll see if a Jodie knows anything about our Yasmine.”

Nick sighs, leaning back on the sofa frustrated, “We tried almost half the people on the list and we’re getting no where.”

Brian stands up from his seat on the sofa, pacing nervously around the den. “Give me the next number Howie.” He fiddles with his cell in his hands.

Howie sighs nervously, calling out the next number off the list. “This is Anya’s number.”

Nick grins, sitting up in his seat, “Wait B, let me handle this.”

Brian smirks, “Uh Nick, I don’t think its right you call up Anya. She thinks you’re insane as it is already. Besides we’re asking her for real important info and you hitting on her will just distract her.”

Nick fakes a gasp, shaking his head: “Unbelievable guys. Anya knows she likes what she sees, she’s just in denial.”

“Oh that’s more than denial going on there Nicky.” Howie smirks, punching in another number off the list.

“Wonder what’s going on in there?” Kevin points towards Yasmine’s closed bedroom door.

Brian inhales gently, “Poor guys. It’s gotta be so hard for both of them to deal with it.”

Howie motions with his hands as he gets an answering machine from his call. Muttering, Howie picks up a red sharpie, circling the name on the list. “No one home.” He sighs, starting to believe that they might need the police’s help after all. It would be impossible for them to track down the right person without being misled.
~*~

“So what’s going on the den? I hear the other guys talking about something.” Yasmine twirls a lock of her dark hair in her fingers.

“Oh some stuff, the guys wanna help out and see what they can get? I was curious. You said you knew a man with the letters of K and C right?”

Yasmine rolls her eyes, “Oh yeah, what about them?”

“Them?”

Smirking, Yasmine blows out a puff of air. “Well to be honest with you, I have tons of guy friends with those letters, the fact that the letters are together is well strange. See I don’t really know any of their last names. Why?” She eyes him.

“I’m trying to see if maybe I knew the guy. But you’re saying it could be any one of your friends. Do you know if any of them could be the same ones sending out those threatening letters to you and the guys?” A.J. asks.

“Whoa, you guys are getting creepy letters too by the same person?” Yasmine whispers, getting a chill down her spine.

“Yeah. I didn’t want to say, but I figured it can help out in tracking this guy down.” A.J. seeps out, running his hands through his black hair.

“Oh man. I’m so sorr, that who over is doing this, is messing with you.” Yasmine utters out gently.

“Oh don’t worry about it. We’re safe plus we have guards looking out for us along with guards watching our guards watching us.” He grins gently, heading towards her closet. “Anyways, I already set up a plan that you should come with me and take a vacation.”

“Alex, no. I don’t think so. Not when I’m just getting settled with everything.” Yasmine whispers, following A.J. towards her closet.

“Yas, you need a vacation. Away from all of this. Please. You should be around a different environment. Come with me. Down to Florida, you can stay with me. You’ll be surrounded by my mom. It would be like a favor for all that you’ve done for me.” A.J. playfully pouts, pulling out a large suitcase.

Yasmine contains her laughter, shaking her head. “This is a bad idea. You want me to start anew in Florida?”

“Yes. Anew, only this time with me.” A.J. grins, his hands intertwine with hers.

Smirking, she exhales deeply, letting the thought of moving away sink into her. “With you? What do you mean by that?”

A.J. smiles, clasping his arms around her waist, pulling her into him. “With me by your side. What do you say?”

Yasmine gulps, a rush of warmth tingled her cheeks. “With you as my boyfriend? Is that what you’re saying?”

“If you let me be.” He breathes into her right ear.

She exhales, shivering from his voice breathed into her ear. She was caught in surprise by his open feelings. “But, but, I, I thought we’ll be friends. Remember no dating?”

A.J. laughs, “That was in the past. Don’t deny you haven’t been feeling different around me lately. You even said you were falling for me back at the hospital.”

Yasmine gently places her hands on his chest, pulling away from his grip. “I, I can’t.” She begins to stutters, her cheeks blush in surprise. “I don’t know what I’m feeling for you. It’s too difficult to interpret. You’re my friend and yes I’m so lucky for your giving of time with all that I’ve been through. And yes I love you, but I don’t know if I really am falling in love with you. There’s a difference. But to start a relationship like this, I, I don’t see that happening right now. I’m sorry. I need time to think through all this.” She whispers, hating herself for shattering her devoted friend’s heart.

A.J. nods his head slowly, stepping away from her to pick up the vacant suitcase. “Right, right. Of course. What was I thinking?” He whispers, folding some of Yasmine’s clothes into the suitcase. Clearing his throat, he begins packing other items to distract himself from his crumpling heart.

Yasmine breaths out and gently clasp her hands around his right arm. “Please don’t be mad with me. I’m just trying to understand and figure things out. I mean who knows what will happen. Don’t give up on that. You never know, you might sweep me off my feet one day and be surprised. Until then, I’m just happy to know I have you in my life.”

A.J. doesn’t look up to see her face but remained fixated on the open suitcase, running his hand down the inside of the black material aligning the carrier. “Thanks I guess. Anyway, I’ll go call for tickets and stuff while you get dressed and pack up.” He whispers out almost coldly.

He stands up, easing his way towards the door to exit it but Yasmine grabs his hand, “Wait! Alex, you understand why I feel the way I do right?”

“Yes. You don’t have to explain. I’m stupid to think of myself while you’re trying to get over your own trauma. And you’re right, who knows what will happen.” Smiling, he opens his arms to her, “I can never be mad at you. You’re lucky I love you the way I do.” He chuckles, feeling Yasmine rush into his arms for a friendly embrace.

“I’m still confused with the kiss though?” A.J. snickers.

“A kiss is a just kiss Alex.” Yasmine playfully tugs on his shirt, ushering him out of the room so she can change clothes.

“Sure it is.” A.J. smirks, exiting the room.
~*~

Nick holds in a yawn, channel surfing to see if anything caught his interest. He doesn’t see a pillow slam into the back of his head, until he jolted from the unexpected hit. “HEY!” He growls out, seeing A.J. hold a pillow innocently looking away.

“Sup Nick.” A.J. grins mischievously.

“Didn’t I tell you to stop with the hitting of the head?” Nick mumbles, a smirk crawling on his face: his hands busily finding a small decorative pillow to throw at his friend.

“Yeah, but do I listen?” A.J. chuckles, gazing down at the list on the counter.

“Whatever man.” Nick mumbles out, slowly hiding the pillow behind him as he eases quietly from his seat on the sofa.

“So any news on the calling?” A.J. asks, watching Kevin and Brian hang up their mobile phones.

“Nope. Well I talked to girl from the baby shower, she says that Yasmine dated a lot of guys in her past that seemed to start with the letters K or C. Which brings me to a strange conclusion, why that letter? It’s the strangest thing. I got a few e-mail addressed from the possible men in her life and they all start with K which doesn’t make this any easier. Alex we need the police on this. We can’t catch this guy, not like this. What if he’s wanted and going around doing things to other innocent women. We need to inform the police and the faster the better.”

A.J. groans, sliding onto a stool. ‘They screwed up before, what makes you think they’ll do their job this time around.”

“Well it’s a risk we’ll have to take then.” Kevin mutters, eying his band mate from the sofa.
~*~

With quivering hands, she closes the closet door behind her and walks into the well lit walk in closet, flinging clothes into the suitcase. She gulps and picks up her cell phone, dialing the number she desired to hate so much. Holding in a sob, a tear edges its way to the corner of her eye as a voice fills her ear.

“Ello?”

“Kelvin?” She whispers out, juggling the closet door to make sure it was locked from the outside.

“Yeah, what’s going on?”

“What did you do? A.J. told me about the letters. What are you doing? You want to go to prison?” She cries out softly, tossing a red top in the suitcase.

“Dammit. He showed you the letters?”

“Look Kelvin, I gave you what you wanted. You said you weren’t going to go after the guys. I told you if you do that I would tell.”

“IS THAT A THREAT?! DID YOU TELL ANYONE? God so help me, the next time I’ll kill you when I get my hands on you! And if I want to go after them what’s that to you?!” He hisses out.

She sniffs softly, tears spilling down her tan cheeks. “I, I didn’t tell them. They’re trying to track down people to see if they know. But Kelvin, I wouldn’t say anything to them.”

“Especially not that Alex right?” He growls out.

“Nnnn, no. I wouldn’t do that.” She clutches the phone tightly in her hand.

“Good and let’s keep it that way. Why the call?”

“Cause I’m heading for a vacation.”

“A vacation? Who the hell gave you permission to do that? How am I supposed to get my fix? Oh Yasmine, you’re making a big mistake if you leave.” He threatens.

Yasmine gulps, “I have to oblige or they would get suspicious. Why can’t you let me live my life?”

“Because until I have you, it means nothing.”

“What part of no don’t you get? I can’t love you. Not with what you did to me in the past.” Yasmine whispers, angry tears well up in her eyes.

“Shut up. I don’t need to hear this from you. How long will you be away?”

“I don’t know. But no longer than two weeks I assure you.”

“Fine. You will be hearing from me until then. And remember if you tell, you’ll die. No matter where you are, I can track you down.” Kelvin growls out.

“I, I know. I understand.”

“Good. Then have fun with that pretty boy. Cause when you come back, you’ll own me!” Kelvin snarls out.

“Fine. I have to go. They’re calling for me.” Yasmine whispers in fright, hanging up her mobile phone and hurriedly rushes to thrown on a red frayed shirt and wrap around white skirt.
~**~

**~To Be Continued…~**