- Text Size +
“Love Can Save”

-“I will forever love you through all my ups and downs. No matter what…” A.J.’s thanks you from the Black and Blue cd.

**~Dreams Come True~**

“Uh, how about no? This color look so dorky on me.” Yasmine mumbles, twirling around the full size mirror the clothing store provided. She stares down at the maternity clothes that A.J. decided to buy for her. She tried to plead with him that it would be silly to buy clothes just for that time being, she wanted something that she can wear even if she wasn’t pregnant but yet conforming to the growth of her abdomen.

A.J. leans back on the seat and smiles, “I think you look cute in it and plus it’ll be comfortable for your growing belly.”

Nick sighs and tries to keep his eyes open, he wasn’t much for shopping and this felt like pure punishment for him as he lifts his sore butt from seating on the chair for far too long. “Ok, look Yas. We all have things to do, I do have a life besides shopping for clothes and this is taking way too long.”

A.J. smirks and pokes Nick on the ribs as Nick settles down on the wooden chair again with a frown on his face. “Chill out man. She’ll be ready when its time. Stop rushing, what do you have to do anyway that has you all pissy?”

Nick rolls his eyes and leans back in his seat, “Well if you must know, I have an important date tonight with miss scandalicious herself the very lovely Priscilla.”

A.J. laughs and stops himself mid laughter, staring at Nick with disappointment. “Boy, no way! That chick is crazy. Isn’t she the psychotic woman that has an obsession over you? You mean to tell me that she followed us all the way up here to New York to get a date with you and you agreed?!”

Nick smiles and nods his head, “Yeah, see we both have something in common. We love me!”

Yasmine giggles and twirls one of black curls in her fingers, “My, that’s shallow Nick. I guess you two deserve each other then.” She states smirking as A.J. tugs on the sleeve of the navy blue maternity shirt that’s covering Yasmine’s upper body.

A.J. chokes out a laughter as he eyes an aggravated Nick.

“You guys should meet her, she’s very pretty.” Nick continued talking, trying not to let his friends teasing get in the way.

“Pretty with a screw loose. Seems like Nick’s perfect girl. He’s always drawn to those with hmmm… how should I say this? With unique personalities.” A.J. teases as Nick grumbles and stands up from the chair heading over to a counter where a kind elderly cashier was waiting for them.

“Not true, I think Nick has quite a choice. And he’s a grown man with taste that are different from you and I. I mean we love the normal and he, will he loves the ones that appear normal on the outside.” Yasmine teases as she pulls off the navy blue shirt and fixes her own green t-shirt beneath it which seemed snug on her three month old growing stomach.

“Hey, I heard that!” Nick shouts from the counter where a small pile of maternity clothes for Yasmine were already there for purchasing.

“Nick will pay for that shirt, I know you’re taking it right?” A.J. states not really asking her but making more a statement.

Yasmine rolls her eyes, shrugging her shoulders, “Whatever. Do what you want to do with it.” And she picks up her bottled water, making her way towards the exit the store.

A.J. smiles and glances at Nick, “You heard ya, buy it for her.” And he places the navy shirt on top of the pile of clothes on the dark redwood counter.

Nick mutters and pulls out his credit card as the cashier took it and swipes it through the credit slot on the registrar.

The elderly woman smiles and types in the credit card number on the computer besides the registrar. ‘She’s quite the lucky lady having you in her life. I’m sure you’re ecstatic being a new father. It shows in your face.”

Nick’s mouth drops as he sounds out the words, “New father? What? Oh no! You don’t think I’m the father of her child now do you?”

The woman looks up at Nick, her light brown eyes twinkle in the soft golden lights of the store, her snowy cheeks captured her long life as gentle wrinkles caress her upper cheeks. “Oh well it shows. The excitement in your eyes and the attitude you two are having with one another. Its just a sign of coming parenthood. My children were like that when their spouses were bearing children.”

Nick chokes out a wheezy laughter as A.J. meets up with Nick, watching him curiously. “Come on Nick, any day now. Yas isn’t feeling too good now. Her back is killing her and she’s feeling a bit queasy if you know what I mean.”

The cashier blushes and giggles, “Oh I see. You’re the father. Congratulations on your new child. What do you want it to be?”

A.J. drops his mouth open and stares at Nick confused. Raising his eyebrows, he smiles: “Ah thanks but I don’t know what my buddy Nick told ya: but I’m not the father. She’s my friend and I’m helping her throughout her pregnancy.”

The cashier smiles and gazes at Nick, “Oh that’s so sweet and how thoughtful. I’m sure your friend here must be grateful to have some help with his wife.”

“Wife?” Nick whispers softly, sending shivers down his spine. Where did the woman come up with this story? “Oh listen lady. See I’m her friend too. We’re…” Nick states, placing his arm around A.J.’s shoulders, “Both helping her out. She’s living alone and stuff happens so we’re taking care of her.”

“Oh my. I’m so sorry. I just assumed. How silly of me.” The elderly woman responds sweetly as her cheeks tinged a slight pink in embarrassment.

“Na, its alright.” A.J grins, taking Nick’s credit card and slipping it into his own pocket. Nick fakes a smile at the woman and grabs the light baby blue plastic bag with the maternity clothes in it as they all walk out the clothing store.

Nick grabs A.J. by the sleeve and stares at his friend, whispering very slowly: “Not a word.”

A.J. nods his head once and winks at Nick as they step out the store.

A.J. smirks upon seeing Yasmine’s raised eyebrows at Nick’s horrid expression. His face was priceless, A.J. thought if he had a camera, how great it would be for Nick’s blackmail. Nick’s eyes seemed frozen in fear as his mouth remained slightly ajar. He seemed to be whispering almost a chant but rather the words, wife and baby which seeped out of his mouth. The three begin walking down the vacant mall hallway as part of the mall was remained open for their shopping needs. Very few customers walked throughout the mall at the late time, so the two Boys were rarely stopped at all.

“Hey Nick buddy. Take a chill pill. Imagine the horror Yasmine must feel when she finds out that the cashier thought you were the dad.” A.J. states loud enough to stop Yasmine from walking. She turns around facing him and then at Nick as she smirks.

“Oh this has to be good. What exactly happened back there at the store anyway? And what’s this that I hear about Nick being my baby’s daddy.” Yasmine asks quizzically, her light green eyes boring into Nick.

Nick grumbles and chews on the inside of his cheek as he stares at A.J. in anger, “And you just had to mention it, didn’t you?”

“Hey, you said not a word, I didn’t say a word, I said more than one.” A.J. jokes, batting his eyes and pouting at his friend, “Don’t be mad at me Nicky? I love you. You have to forgive and forget boobie.”

Nick sighs and smiles, pushing A.J. on the shoulder, “Shut up.”

“Well can you guys explain what happened?” Yasmine asks, a smile spreading on her golden tan cheeks.

“I’ll let Nick explain it. He’ll have a riot trying to explain it to ya.” A.J. teases as he could feel the burning of Nick’s eyes on him.

Yasmine stands besides Nick and loops her arm through Nick’s as three descend down the hallway. Leaving poor Nick to explain the earlier situation that occurred within the store.
~*~

He watches the three figures disappear down the mall corridor and smiles. “So its true. You’re gonna have a baby. I would have never thought.” The man whispers, peering from the corner of a wall watching the three figures turn a corner. “Oh Yasmine, what a mess you’re in. Even the police are in confusion about this.” The man grins, eager with his plan he had conducted three months ago. He had decided to make a visit to Yasmine but found out she was surprised by some of her friends from her past youth. Frustrated with the change of plans, Kelvin decided to pursue Yasmine without her noting it. He’s been watching her since the first time he saw her. They even attended the same university and dated in the past. He knew she fell for him as much as he wanted her to and he was glad. He was intrigued with Yasmine’s fiery personality and her body language had sent shivers down his spine. They dated and as much as he hated it to end, she wanted to leave the relationship. He couldn’t understand why she wanted to end it. She claims it was mutual. That they both agreed on breaking the relationship, but that was no where near the truth. She assumed he was fine with it and went on her way, not noting that Kelvin was no where near happy with the results of the broken relationship. He played along because he didn’t want Yasmine to know that he was breaking inside. That his heart was shattered beyond repair and nothing could ease it. But she didn’t notice nor possibly even care. She walked out of his life and that was that. He tried to plead with her to stay, to try to make things work. But she already made up her mind. Her heart was taken by another man and he couldn’t understand who could have taken his princess’s heart. And then he saw HIM, the one who was always on the slip of Yasmine’s tongue whenever she spoke of HIM. She looked at the guy the way she used to look at him and it broke his heart to see his angel leaving him. He despised that man even though he didn’t know who it could be. Yasmine smiles at HIM the way she used to smile for Kelvin and it brought out anger and rage from within him. He could see that Yasmine had fallen in love with that man but seemed afraid to do anything about it, that or she was just ignoring her growing affections towards her friend. But Kelvin knew, he knew from the moment Yasmine talked to that man on the phone or through her eyes when she gazes at a past picture or even recent pictures of HIM, that she loved him.

“God Yasmine, don’t you know what you’ve done to me! I never wanted to hurt you. You drove me to it. You were looking for love that you’ll never get back, but I, oh Yasmine, but I can provide that for you. Just let me back into your heart. That man doesn’t know what he has in front of him, but I do. God Yasmine, I do. You’re a God created angel sent for me to love and no one else. No one else can truly understand you like I do.” Kelvin whispers softly to himself as he pulls away from the corner and disappears down into the street to head home.
~*~

“Ahhh.” She moans out in pain as her back ache dully.

“Easy there girl, I got you.” A.J. whispers, carrying Yasmine in his arms and settling her onto the soft plush sofa.

Yasmine smiles and giggles out a quiet “thanks” as Nick closes the front door to the apartment and heads for the kitchen.

“I know you’re not getting anything to eat now right?” Yasmine asks wearily, watching Nick reach the thick kitchen counter and stop to stare at her.

“Uh yeah, why? You want something to eat?”

A.J snorts and rolls his eyes, “Dude, you just ate! We just came back from McDonalds and you’re already hungry?”

“Yeah, I’m a growing boy.” Nick smirks, gripping the cold metal handle of the fridge.

“Unbelievable. And you’re the one pregnant.” A.J. states to Yasmine as he flops across her on the empty white love seat.

Yasmine smiles and closes her eyes, “You guys are too much. Hey when are you guys heading back to Florida?”

“Ummm, two weeks why? You’re getting tired of us already?” Nick asks, pouring himself an ice cold glass of water and slicing a piece of lemon to add to his drink.

Yasmine raises her head and sees Nick staring at her from the counter, “No retard. Wanna know so I won’t be alone.”

“Oh girl you’re still afraid of being left alone. I thought Anya would have been back by now.” A.J. asks, running his fingers through Yasmine’s messy curls.

“She is, but she’s been so busy and plus she rarely comes over cause she has two jobs along with her internship. It sucks cause we rarely have time to hang out at all.” Yasmine sighs.

A.J. closes and slowly takes a deep breath. He has been traveling back and forth recently from his home in Florida to New York over the past three months to make sure Yasmine was getting taken care of. Nick often came along cause he too was concerned about Yasmine’s sudden depression that overtook her charming personality. It was like a rain cloud that consumed her brightness and the light she used to give off was slowly dimming and that shook A.J. up. But it was worrying him that she was spending too much time alone. She refused to go back to school until her pregnancy was over. She wasn’t ready to deal with the public ridicule that would come along with the dreaded questions and comments of how she was just using her faith and religion to make herself good to the public eye, but failed to live by her own beliefs. He wished he could get her back into taking courses somewhere else, like schools where it attends to pregnant and nursing mothers but again Yasmine denied she didn’t need to be seen there. She said she used to work in one of those, part time and the last thing she needs is for more people to get into her business. So A.J. set up with her school a way to take courses over the internet where just like if she was in class, she needed to check in and hear the lectures. The excuse he gave for the school to provide such a course had to be that Yasmine has fallen ill and was having problems traveling far distance with her illness. So she remained in her dorm that the school so gracefully provided. She wanted her pregnancy to be kept as quiet as possible and for once the media listened to her request, simply not using her name when it reported the rape incident only three months ago. Now A.J. was left to pick up and care for her and it was slowly becoming a burden to him but he refused to tell her. He loves her and didn’t care if he needed to travel just to be with her. She needed him and he wasn’t going to back down from that.

“Well the professor sent you some homework on the computer, maybe you should start doing it, so you can had it in on time.” A.J. whispers concern. He takes a sip of the bottled soda in his hand and sticks his hand out for Yasmine to take. “Come on, upsee daisy girl.” And he gently pulls Yasmine off the sofa. As they both were making their way towards her dorm bedroom, Yasmine grabs her head in her hands and begins taking short breaths. Her heart was racing for some apparent reason as cold chills race down her spine. She gripped A.J.’s arm tightly as she struggles to take in air. Her vision blurred before her as she sees a silhouette of a man coming towards her. She throws her arms around A.J.’s waist, burying her head in his chest as she cries out,

“Tell him to go away! Stop him!!”

A.J. alarmed: gulps and gazes at Nick who was standing a few inches away behind him.

“I don’t get it. There’s nothing in front of her. What is she seeing?” Nick whispers softly as Yasmine’s sobs heavily into A.J.’s shirt.

“I, I think she’s seeing that guy that attacked her.” A.J. whispers out as he tries to calm down the woman. “Easy there, Yas. Relax, its just me. Me and Nick ok. Quiet down. He’s not here to get you k?” Yasmine peers her wet eyes up at A.J and nods her head.

“Ok.” And she gulps and wipes away the fresh tears that stained her cheeks.

Nick clears his throat and watches as A.J. takes Yasmine into her small dorm bedroom. Once A.J. sets up the computer for her to use, he leaves the room and closes the door behind him. He blows out a puff of air and walks by the counter where Nick is sitting on.

“J, have you heard from the police yet?” Nick whispers, popping an M&M into his mouth.

“Uh, no, why? You?” A.J. asks, opening the small fridge to pull out a grenade bottle that he had placed in there beforehand.

“Yeah.”

“Really, well what happened?” A.J. pursues Nick, staring at him. Nick fidgets uncomfortably on the counter and swings his legs slowly on it.

“Well, they think they got some suspects and the cops want her to identify the guy in a line up.” Nick whispers, not turning around to see the horrid expression on A.J. face.

“What the… And when did they call you?” A.J. asks, racing around the counter to face Nick.

“Earlier today. I was gonna tell you but you had Yasmine with you all the time and I didn’t want to alarm her already as much as she is.”

“Oh this is nice. What the hell am I gonna do with her?” A.J growls, passing the palms of his hands on his face.

“J, I don’t know. But the police wants her to come in today. I didn’t tell them if we were going or what to say.”

“You tell them no. That’s what! There’s no way in hell that she can go to the station in the condition that she’s in. She’s too depressed and then for her to see that guy again, it’s not making her get any better.”

“Fine, screw it! You call them back and tell them no. I don’t know what I’m gonna do.” Nick mutters, jumping off the counter and tossing the garbage of the candy bar wrapping into a bin besides the counter.

“Did you tell them we were going?” A.J. asks: a ting of attitude dwelled in his question.

“I said we’ll think about it and that I would call them back if anything.” Nick mumbles, swinging his arms around him so he was embracing himself.

“Alright. Then call them. We’re not going.” A.J. murmurs, running a hand through his black and blonde tinted hair.

“Ok. Whatever.” Nick states, plopping onto a small sofa, grabbing his cell and dialing the police station.

The bedroom door creaks open as Yasmine steps out, “Wait. I wanna go. I want to go to the station and see who they have.”

A.J. and Nick glance up to see Yasmine walking into the living room, her light eyes big and wide as she claps her hands together.

“Are you sure you want to do this?” A.J. asks, fearing the worst will happen.

“Ye, yeah. I’ve been waiting for when they caught the bastard. I want to look at his face and watch him as they lock him up.” She whispers, fiddling with her hands.

Nick holds the mobile phone in his hands and smiles, “Ok, if this is what you want, I’m calling them now to inform them ok?”

She nods her head and smiles, running into her bedroom to get dressed. Once the door closes, A.J. turns around and races over to Nick, grabbing the mobile phone and turning it off.

“Hell no, we’re not taking her!” A.J. growls as Nick looks up alarmed.

“Whoa, hey you heard her. She wants to go, I say we do this and get this out the way.” Nick states grabbing the phone back and begins to dial again.

“I said no. You don’t know how she’ll respond after all that. Do you see how many anxiety attacks she’s been having recently plus all the post traumatic stress disorder? Doing this would only push her further. Nick tell them no and we’ll do it later when she’s better.” A.J. hisses as he stares at him.

“God, fine. Dammit, whatever you think is best. I don’t want to scare her.” Nick whispers, placing his phone back on the clip on the waist of his jeans.

“Good.” A.J. whispers, walking away.

Nick sighs and leans back on the sofa slowly, closing his eyes, ‘What am I gonna do? Man, who could done this to her?’ That question plagued Nick’s mind almost constantly as he takes a deep breath. He could hear A.J in the background telling Yasmine that to forget it, they’ll go another day.

To Nick, it really didn’t matter when they went. He just wanted to know who the police have that will finally lie to rest the trauma that had plaque and followed them everyday of their waking moment when they stare at Yasmine’s dying soul.

Yasmine sighs and leans back in the seat, placing her sneaker back on the floor. She was close to ending the horrific chapter to that part of her life and seeing the man that tormented her everyday. His sick presence was felt through her swollen body everyday she closed her eyes or whenever one of the guys touched or brushed up against her by accident when they walked by and pass her in the apartment.

She could hear A.J. telling her to forget it and she grips the sneaker in her hand, throwing it across the room. She needed answers, she was tired of living in the dark about what really occurred that day three months ago, she hated that everyday she was treated like someone ill who needed special attention, she was tired of everyone’s pathetic pity for her and tired of everyone’s fake joy about her sudden pregnancy. In reality she knew she disappointed her family and close friends. They all looked at her differently no matter how hard they try to hide it. She felt she was a huge disappointment not only to those around her but to God. She sighs and closes her wet eyes, tears threatening to spill down her cheeks. She was supposed to be happy for the baby’s sake, but all these emotions tore at her. She wipes away the tears and covers her face with her hands as she murmurs out a small prayer:

“Oh Dad, what am I doing? I’m so lost, angry, upset. I don’t know what to do. Everyone thinks they know what they’re doing is in the best interest but they don’t. I want to end this anguish, this guilt that’s tearing me apart. Why do they all think its ok about what’s wrong with me? Its not, it’s not acceptable but I learned to accept this for this is your will. If I’m to bear this baby it’s because out of all this misery that child will be the light in my life. So I’m praying to you now to make it clear to me about all this. Make it so that I know you’re comforting me and that don’t let this break me down. Make me strong and willing so that those around me will be notice and take heart. I thank you for listening to me and even if you don’t make it clear to me, know that I still love ya. Thanks and loving you, in your son’s name, amen.” Yasmine whispers, opening her eyes not noticing that the bedroom door was a crack open and behind it, Nick and A.J. heard it all and smiled.
~*~

Nick smirks as A.J. plops down besides him, “Well, that was interesting.” Referring to Yasmine’s little prayer.

“Yup, it sure was.” A.J. sighs, throwing his legs up on the coffee table and crossing his legs on it.

“J, I’m just curious. With all this that’s happening, I know you truly care for her and all. But do you love her?”

A.J. lazily turns his head and smiles, “Of course I love her, she’s like my little sister.”

Nick smiles softly, “No A.J. not that type of love. Is it possible that she’s the woman you’ve been looking for all your life? Think about it… She’s everything you want in a woman. Every chick you dated had to somehow be conformed to something that reminded you of Yasmine. Take Sarah, or Amanda or…”

“Shut up. I can finally say the bleach has reached your brain now.” A.J. murmurs, turning his face away from Nick.

Nick rolls his eyes and leans back on the sofa, “I was just asking a question, you don’t have to get all huffy about it.”

A.J. snorts and rolls his eyes, “Dude you’ve been trying to hook us up since the beginning, but Nick give up already. I don’t see her in that way…”

“But you thought of it though, haven’t you?” Nick grins, chuckling softly.

A.J. smiles and licks his lips, “Yeah, yeah, yeah whatever. But me and Yas talked about it a while back when I thought if we could develop something and we both agreed that our friendship is more important than anything else.”

“Well that’s it! You guys already have that relationship, if you guys dated, it’ll be friends with benefits! I mean you could hug her and kiss her and kiss her and kiss her and…” Nick jokes around with a silly grin on his face.

“Nick, you’re stupid.”

“Am not.”

“Yup, yeah. I checked, you are.”

Nick rolls his eyes and whispers, “May be stupid, but at least I tell my girls the truth about how I feel instead of hiding it.”

“Lie off it Nick.” A.J. grumbles.

“Fine.” Nick murmurs and grabs the remote control, turning on the channel to a sports channel.
~**~

**~To Be Continued…~**