- Text Size +

Chapter Ten

"This is fucked up man! It's been two days and I'm hungry and cold! I want to get outta here and spend the money away!" Matt cried as he staggered along, trying to keep up with Brad. Winter was just around the corner and they weren't even properly dressed. But then again, none of them had planned on a trip to the forest. Matt for one, had planned on leaving the country and moving to Mexico, get a huge house and a beautiful Mexican woman who will make him happy.

"Yeah Brad, we should just go. Those assholes won't survive another day out here; they are as good as dead." Ted agreed. Brad stopped in his track, closed his eyes and took a deep breath before turning to his accomplices.

"I will not leave until I kill them myself! If they survive, we will be on the front page of every single newspaper in this country. We don't want that to happen now, do we?" Brad hissed. He had been very patient with the two of them whining all day.

"But they won't survive, and neither will we if we don't get out of here. The last time we saw them, they didn't look too good. Hell, they were even going the wrong direction! The highway is back there!" Matt argued.

"Fine then, but let me tell you first that you won't get the remaining $100,000.00 that they took from us." Brad said coolly.

Matt and Ted stopped short. Their eyes wide with greed, their energy suddenly renewed. "What $100,000.00?"

"The one Dave was carrying. Since he's dead, we are going to have his share. Or at least, I will if I get it back." Brad flashed his devilish grin.

"But...I thought..."

"Nope, it's not burnt together with him, those assholes took it."

"How did you know that?" Ted asked, curious.

"Would you leave a bag full of money behind if you came across one?" Brad asked in return. "Besides, their bag looks suspiciously heavy."

"Damn it Brad! For all we know it's in that dead guy's bag!" Ted cried, realizing their mistake.

"No, it's not with him. His bag is too light; besides, would you let someone with a cracked head carry your money? Damn, how stupid can you be?" Brad mocked.

"Okay then, who has it?" Matt asked, challenging him.

"The one with the curly hair, he's not that badly hurt, and he's physically strong, he has it." Brad said.

"I hope you're right Brad, you know we're going to be totally screwed if you’re not." Ted replied.

"Stop worrying boys, the only ones getting screwed are them."

ררררר

Let's make a list. 1) Hit on the head unconscious 2) falling down at least two stories high in a bus 3) surviving without food and water for two days in a forest 4) surviving the ever decreasing temperature 5) falling into a pit about a mile deep

Check. Check. Check. Check. Check.

Dead or Alive? Unsure.

Test: Give a little touch to the back of the head.

Result: Ouch! Oww! And other sounds associated with pure pain.

Final Verdict: (Barely) Alive

Only minutes ago, I was struggling to hold onto whatever I could reach so that I wouldn't slip and fall back into the pit for what seemed like the hundredth time. I surprised myself with the will that I have left in me to make it out alive. Now that I did, I wish I had just stayed in there and died. No, I didn't mean that. I love my life. There's a reason why God didn't just let me die in there and end my misery. Or at least the atomic throbbing in my head.

Maybe I'm still alive cause I have to help my brothers, which I have no idea how to, looking at how physically unfit I am right now. Or maybe, it was the constant nagging I kept hearing somewhere deep inside of me shouting, "You can't die Brian! You might as well spread the red carpet for Nsync to walk all the way to the top now!" It's a mystery why our minds think of stupid stuff when we're in the brink of death. Or maybe it's just me. Arghhh! I don't care anymore. All I know is, I woke up and found myself in the pit. For a few seconds there, I thought I was already dead and buried. But then flashes of what happened came back to me. And the bright morning light glaring into my eyes helped too. Or not.

Like a klutz, I had fallen into the pit even when Howie had warned us about it. I am so accident-prone. But that wasn't even the alarming part. My sweater was covered in blood and I thought I was going to die bleeding. But the bleeding had long stopped, only clots of dried blood patched on the enormous cut at the back of my head. I guess the cold weather kind of froze it. Don't know if that's good or bad. And then there was the gun. Fully loaded, lying next to me.

I've never touched or carried real gun before and was surprised at how heavy it was. My bag was still intact too. I watched Lethal Weapon and all the sequels and I know a thing or two about handling a gun, so it helps.

Now, I'm resting under this tree. Doesn't matter what kind, as long as it's strong enough to support my weight. It had begun to snow lightly, and as snowflakes dropped and rested on the glistening black gun, I held it near my mouth and licked them. The cold stung my bruised lips, moistening them in the process. My throat felt a little moist; better than having it dry and sore. I don't know where to go next. I don't know if I could even go on. Where are my brothers? Are they safe? Will they come back for me? Do they think I'm dead?

As question after question started bombarding my twisted head, I drifted into an uneasy slumber.

ררררר

"I don't think we should be making Nick walk with those ribs Kev. I think I read somewhere that the victims shouldn't be moving around." Howie said as they started packing in the morning.

"I've thought about that too D. But I'm torn here; I have to get back to Brian." Kevin said sadly.

"I know. And I think Nick would be very happy if were reunited with him." Howie agreed.

"What if you guys go instead?" Kevin and Howie turned. AJ had just woken up. Howie had checked on him earlier that morning and was glad that his fever had gone down a bit.

"No way. I'm still getting over the guilt of leaving Brian alone last night. He could have died because of that. I can't let it happen to you two." Kevin said firmly.

"Come on Kev, you know it's the only way out. Look, Nick can hardly move, if we force him, it could kill him instead. And I'm not feeling good myself. We will wait here for you guys." AJ assured them.

"You can't wait here for us, what if the bad guys find you two? I can't even begin to imagine." Howie protested.

"We will hide ourselves. Come on guys, you've done enough for Nick and I, now keep our promise and get Brian back, dead or alive." AJ said firmly.

"I wish we could make this work AJ, I really do." Kevin said as he willed the tears to finally flow out.

"It will work Kev." Kevin was surprised for the second time that day. Nick had spoken. The little boy had woke up.

"How are you feeling buddy? You want to eat? We still have the chocolate." Kevin asked as he knelt down next to Nick.

"I'm feeling better but not good enough to walk. And I'm not hungry." Nick replied in between gasping for air. Breathing had become a chore for him lately. Every time he breathed in, his chest hurt, his stomach burnt and everything else felt numb.

"How can you not feel hungry? Come on, eat something okay?" Howie asked as he dug into his bag for the chocolate bar.

"The broken ribs kind of take away my appetite." Nick joked.

"Oh my God!" AJ cried suddenly.

"What?" The others asked in unison.

"It's snowing!" AJ cried as he cupped his hands to collect the snowflakes. It quickly melted in his hand as it was still snowing lightly. "At least now we don't have to worry about water."

“Actually that’s the one thing you shouldn’t do…eat snow.” Howie pointed out.

“Great D,” AJ rolled his eyes. “Thanks anyway.”

"It's going to be too cold soon, so please, just go and find Brian. He needs you guys more than we do." Nick pleaded to Howie and Kevin.

"How can we leave you here in this weather Nick? I couldn't forgive myself if anything happened to you and AJ." Kevin sighed.

"If you get moving now and find Brian fast, you'll get to us even faster. Once we’re all together again, we will find our way home Kev. Please, trust me."

Howie looked on at the figures of Nick and Kevin. It had always been Kevin who gave Nick advice and solved his problems, now it looked like the tables had turned. Kevin looked like a lost schoolboy while Nick held the key to their dilemma. The boy had grown in front of their eyes without them noticing it. Nick definitely had more going on in him than they all thought.

"Promise me you will wait for us?" Kevin cried.

"Promise me you'll get Brian?" Nick asked him back.

"I will." Kevin replied. "I will bring him back alive."

"Kev, just do me one favor before you go?" Nick asked.

"Anything bro."

"If Bri's still alive when you find him, could you please give this to him?" Nick took out his diary and gave it to him. Kevin knew how much he treasured the diary. He never let anyone read it. AJ was surprised once when Nick caught him sneaking in his diary. It wasn't a good surprise.

"What's this for?" Kevin asked, still confused.

"Make sure he reads the last entry once you get to him all right? And...if..he's already dead, could you please read it? The last entry, remember that." Nick said, straining himself not to cough. He knew once he started, he couldn't stop. And Kevin and Howie would change their minds if they saw just what he was coughing up.

"Okay Frack, whatever you say, I promise." Kevin said as he started to pull himself up. Howie had already packed their bags.

"I'm leaving the chocolate and the first aid kit behind. Make sure you change your bandage and take some pills for the fever all right?" Howie said to AJ.

"I will. Thanks D, I'll miss ya." AJ said as he quickly grabbed him for a hug. Howie was cautious not to touch AJ's shoulder.

"Hey, we'll only be gone for half the day, we'll be back. Don't miss me." Howie joked.

"Look, just in case something happens before you guys get back to us, I want you to know that-"

"I love you too AJ." Howie cut in. AJ was drowned in such a wave of emotions that he cried on his brother's shoulder.

"Hey Kev, if worse comes to worse, I just want you to know that whatever happens to AJ and I, isn’t your fault." Nick said, as Kevin was about to go.

"I love you, you know that right? All the lectures, all the scolding, it's just part of my du-"

"I know bro, I know. And I love you too. I could never ask for a better brother to look out for me, you're the best." Nick smiled.

"Just…hang in there…okay? For me?" Kevin reached down and kissed his forehead. It felt icy cold. Nick felt a tear drop on his forehead. He felt the tremble of Kevin's body as he cried, unable to hold it back; Nick held onto Kevin's arm and cried.

"I love you bro, just don't make this trip a waste, I want you alive when I get back." Howie said as he kissed Nick's forehead. Hugging him could prove fatal. "Nicky, d'ya hear me?"

"Yes D, I hear ya. I love you too." Nick smiled weakly. Howie never thought he would see the ever-hyperactive prankster be in that state.

"I know you can take care of yourself, you've always been responsible for your own actions, so I trust you to take care of Nick too." Kevin said to AJ.

"I will Kev, don't worry 'bout it." AJ replied.

"Just don't give up all right; we will come back as soon as possible. Nick...he's.."

"Nick will be fine; we will take care of each other. You guys better watch out for the bad guys too k?" AJ assured him.

"I love you man!" Kevin said, finally surrendering to a hug.

"Kev, if by fate, Nick and I didn't make it, make sure you guys catch the bastards who did these to all of us. Could you...could you also tell my mom that I love her?" AJ cried.

"Why would I want to do that? You're going to be there to tell her that J, you're not going to die." Kevin said stubbornly.

"I know, but if-"

"But if, I will." Kevin cut in. He couldn't bear to hear AJ speak of death. He has had enough of the negative talk from the two of them.

"I guess this is it then. Take care okay. Make sure you two don't go all crazy now and attract unwanted attention. AJ, I do not want to see you up on that tree when I'm miles away from here." Howie joked, trying to make the separation as bearable as possible.

"I don't know, can't promise you anything." AJ replied, flashing his sly grin.

"Don't worry guys, this monkey ain't goin' nowhere." Nick smiled.

"Some things just don't change." Kevin muttered as they made their way into the woods.

Nick looked on as the two figures walked further and shrank. He never lost sight of them until they looked like two black dots floating and then vanished.

"Are they really gone?" Nick asked.

"Yeah." AJ replied.

"Good." Nick collapsed on his side and started to cough badly.

AJ knew that the coughing fits were coming with a vengeance. He knelt down next to Nick and started rubbing his back. Nick closed his eyes, this time grimacing in pain. He had held it all inside when Kevin and Howie were around, but now nothing could stop him from coughing his heart out.

AJ noticed that Nick was having difficulties breathing properly. He didn't know what to do. Taking care of the sick wasn't his specialty. That would be Kevin's or Howie's. What was he thinking agreeing with Nick Carter, the master of pranksters.

"Nicky, are you okay? Is there anything I can do? Talk to me kid!" AJ whispered shakily.

"I…can't...breathe..." Nick whimpered. When he actually did take a breath, AJ could hear gurgling sounds coming from him. He felt Nick holding on to his left arm tightly, pressing it down to his ribs. He wanted to scream in pain as it was straining his injured shoulder but held it in. If that is what it took for Nick to get rid of some of his pain, AJ would do it in a heartbeat.

As soon as it started, it stopped. But it felt like an eternity to AJ. Nick just laid there in a fetal position, regaining his breath. "Take all the time you need buddy." AJ whispered. He slumped next to Nick, eyes staring up ahead, looking out for the little view of the blue sky as snowflakes landed on his face. Slow death is no fun.