- Text Size +

Chapter Eleven

His body ached all over with bruises and cuts, his legs felt numb yet he willed himself to trudge on, not wanting to disappoint the figure walking just a step ahead of him. Part of him was anxious to be reunited with his fellow brother yet another was screaming, blaming him for leaving two of them behind. How did they end up like this? In the woods? None of them were cut out to be a ‘survival of the fittest’ guy. Never mind if people say that he had muscles to be proud of, he knew deep inside, he wasn't the typical adventure boy. He thought he was just supposed to be sweet. The gentle one.

"I don't know D, does this look like the right way?" Howie turned his gaze at Kevin, his thoughts interrupted.

"The compass says its right." Howie replied, playing safe.

"This might sound stupid, but does a compass works in cold weather? You know...does it get faulty?" Kevin asked as he walked on, gasping for air.

"Yeah Kev, it is a stupid question." Howie replied with a small smile carved on his lips. “Especially when it comes from you.” He brushed away the snowflakes that had rested on his eyebrows and shifted the bag on his shoulder. He wished he could just throw the bag away, it was slowing him down.

"We have to find him fast, the snow is getting heavy." Kevin said as he studied the area. Green bushes and trees were coated with a thin layer of snow, the ground was almost covered with it too and puddles of water had turned to ice.

"Hey," Howie got hold of Kevin's left arm, stopping in his tracks.

"What?" Kevin asked in a whisper, thinking that Howie might have spotted the bad guys.

"Isn't that the boulder that we took cover from those bastards?"

"Damn D, it is!" Kevin laughed.

"Which means, the hole isn't far away!" Howie laughed in excitement. Suddenly, the ached had vanished.

"Hang on B-Rok, we're coming!"

øøøøø

"Damn! This is gonna take longer than I thought!" Brad hissed as he stopped.

"I can hear the river from here; it's not going to be long." Matt replied excitedly.

"Yeah Brad, you saw the garbage they left behind back there, we are definitely on the right track." Ted agreed.

"I've made a big mistake. Look, you two go on, I'm going back to the dead guy." Brad said.

"What? We've come this far, are you trying to cheat on us?" Ted asked suspiciously.

"You son of a bitch! Don't you have a brain to think? If you were them, would you leave your friend behind? I have a feeling at least one of them would try to go back and help his dead friend." Brad explained.

"Why would you want to help someone who’s dead?" Matt asked.

"Because they're naïve, spoiled rich people. They would think that the dead guy isn't dead. They're going to help him." Brad pointed out.

"So you're gonna go back there?" Ted asked.

"Yeah, at least now we're covering two places at a time. We're gonna find 'em faster this way." Brad said.

"I guess so." Matt replied.

"Look, by seven tonight, I want you two to meet me at the highway again. You know how to get there from the river right?" Brad asked.

"Give us some cred buddy; we practically grew up in this town." Ted replied.

"Okay then, I'll see you up there with our cash." Brad flashed his devilish grin and went off into the woods. And maybe a killing or two. Damn I love the rush!

øøøøø

I had started walking about thirty minutes ago, but who's counting right? Yes, I can still do that. I amaze myself too. And frankly, I didn't know where I was going. I must be going pretty slow cause I can still see the pit from here. But considering some screws were loose in my head and all the traumatic events that I've been through, I'm not doing bad at all.

I forgot where we were supposed to be heading, was it all the way to the left or to the right? I was too dependable on Howie and Kevin for directions, now that I'm alone, I am totally lost. I decided to take the right, no reasons, just that my legs started walking that way.

My vision wasn't that good either. Everything I saw just separated themselves and became two. If I put both palms of my hands in front of my face, I would see four of them. My neck was utterly sore, straining to balance my swollen head. I could be walking in a zig zag, I don't know.

The gun never left my hand. Wonder why. Before, the thought of owning one freaked me out. Now, it's like a guarantee that my life would be safe with it. And it was also straining my arm. Why am I thinking about stupid, obvious stuff? Come on Rok, get a grip on yourself! Think of a way out! Find your brothers!

Frankly, I'm beginning to give up. The cold had taken all the heat that was left in my body, and any little hope left had been ripped out as well. I can't kid myself anymore, how could anyone in my condition find four other guys? Or a way out for that matter. Had the bad guys got them too? They were so determined to kill each and every one of us. Did Nick make it? He wasn't doing pretty well himself. What if they're all dead? What if I'm the only one alive? What if help did come but they assumed that the five of us had perished together with the bus? Then they would close the case and never would go out to look for us, right? What if-

What was that? Did I just hear someone shouting? Am I delirious?

øøøøø

"We could just hang out here if you want. You don't look like you can handle the walk." AJ said after fifteen minutes of just lying around and doing nothing much. He kept staring at the sky and listened to the rise and fall of Nick's irregular breathing. Time was catching up on the boy who never shuts up.

"No." Nick whispered. "We have a plan to carry out."

"Dude, you can't even get up." AJ sighed.

"Help me, dumb ass."

"Okay, that's it, no more Mr. Nice Guy," AJ exclaimed as he pulled himself up and offered his hands to Nick. "I'm gonna make you walk like you've never walked before."

Nick winced in pain but willed himself to get on his feet. AJ saw the trail of blood that had trickled down his neck and shook his head. "But first, we need to get that glob off of your face."

AJ wiped the blood with the sleeve of his sweater and avoided the stain that had soaked in the cotton fabric. Denial always works. He slide Nick's right arm across his shoulder and adjusted the new weight that was heaving down on him. His shoulder ached in protest but he had learned to ignore that long ago.

"Stop whining Bone, leave that to me. You just lead the way." Nick smiled.

"You're having so much fun right now aren't ya? Is that why you're pressing on my wound purposely?" AJ hissed as they started walking.

"Come on Bone, we have to have fun in times like this. This is a suicide mission after all. This is like our last meal or something."