- Text Size +
Chapter Twelve

"Fuck this!" Brad yelled as his wide eyes stared into the empty hole. He couldn't believe what he was seeing. The dead man had disappeared. The dead man isn't dead. Anger rose in him like never before. Even in the cold weather, he could feel the heat rushing up every vain in him, boiling his blood.

He's injured, he can't be very far. His eyes darted around the surrounding, scanning the area like an eagle looking out for his prey. He could have fired his gun around him out of anger. He had underestimated his enemies. They weren't that gullible after all.

Brad was about to walk out of the area when he thought he heard footsteps coming his way. Making sure not to make too much noise, he hid behind a tree next to the pit. You better come out asshole, and this time, I'm gonna make sure that I introduce you to my bullets properly.

Kevin fastened his pace to catch up with Howie who was practically running to the pit. He wondered where Howie had gained the renewed strength to run. His left leg was giving him problems and to run might just make matters worse.

"Come on Kev; let's wake up the sleeping beauty!" Howie cried like an overexcited child going on his first trip to the zoo.

Kevin had a smile on his face, something that he had not been doing for quite some time now. He didn't break into a run but studied the area instead, making sure that Howie didn't get too preoccupied and fall into it himself.

When Howie was about a mile away from where Kevin assumed the pit was, he saw a black figure coming out from behind a tree. Kevin grew anxious. It was Brian!

But on second inspection, the figure looked too tall to be his cousin. He strained his eyes to get a better a look. His heart skipped a beat. It was Brad. He knew it had to be him.

"Howie, nooooooooo!!!!!!" Kevin ran with all his might and even then, he felt as if he was in an action movie, where they made the hero run in slow motion. He hated it in the movies, hated it now.

Howie was overcome by shock. He stood on his ground when he saw Brad point the gun at him. This is it, Howie thought. This is how I'm gonna die.

"Gun meet Curly, Curly, meet gun." Brad smirked and looked at Howie straight in the eyes. "So long sucker."

Howie closed his eyes, swallowed the humungous lump in his throat and said a silent prayer. The gun was shot; he could hear the stinging blast. Anytime now and he'll be hit. Then something heavy pounced on him from the back, dragging him to the ground. He hit it hard. He felt a sting on his right leg and knew right away he had been shot.

"D, you okay?" Kevin asked as he pulled him up.

"He shot my leg Kevin, do I look okay to you!" Howie cried as his hands went straight for the wound. He was bleeding a lot.

"Come on, you have to get up!" Kevin cried.

"You're not going anywhere until I have my money back!" Brad shouted, the gun still pointing towards them.

"What money? We took no money from you, we have lots of that!" Kevin shouted arrogantly.

"Shut the fuck up! Don't play games with me now or I'll blow your brains out!"

"We don't have your money. It's all burnt up along with your friend!" Kevin shouted.

"Show me your bags, take out everything!" Brad shouted his orders.

Kevin threw his bag on the ground and helped Howie to get his. "Take a look yourself!"

"I have a clear shot of your head right now, if you don't open up the bags, I'm not gonna think twice. You're beginning to piss me off!"

Kevin resigned and quickly emptied their bags. "There's your money!" Kevin said sarcastically, pointing at the contents of their bags. There was nothing but a few of their personal things.

"The other three, where are they?" Brad asked.

"The other two got away and one, you can say hello to in there." Kevin replied.

"There's no one in here, don't fucking lie to me!" Brad screamed.

"What do you mean there's no one in there! You fucking made him fall to his death!" Kevin shouted back.

"I’m getting tired of your attitude, you shit! If you ain't talkin' there's no use in keeping you alive any longer now. Say goodbye." Brad grunted as he aimed his gun to Kevin's head.

"Think again."

Brad froze. Someone was pointing a gun to his head from the back.

ררררר

"I'm not listening to you anymore, we're gonna stop and that's that!" AJ declared as he forced Nick to stop walking.

"No! We have to follow the plan!" Nick said in between coughs.

"You're coughing blood Nick and you can't even walk on your own! We're stopping!" AJ said defiantly.

"No! Come on Bonehead, don't be such a wuss!" Nick retorted.

"No need for the attitude Carter! I'm staying put no matter what!" AJ argued.

"Fine, then I'll go on my own." Nick hissed. He raised his arm from AJ's shoulder and started to stand on his own. He closed his eyes as the pain surged and dispersed through every corner of his body.

"Face it Carter, you're not gonna make it. You look like a zombie with that blood all over you." AJ said as bloodstains dried on the corners of his lips and down his neck.

"Shut up if you won't help!" Nick cried.

"You're making too much noise dragging your feet like that; the bad guys could hear you from miles away." AJ retorted.

"What the fuck are you talkin' about? I've not even started walking yet, moron." Nick hissed.

"Then what the hell did I just-" AJ stopped. He had heard it again. It wasn't his imagination. He saw Nick's eyes grow wide in alarm; he knew Nick had heard it too.

"Shit! The bad guys are here!" AJ whispered.

"Hide yourself AJ." Nick whispered calmly.

"Yeah, no kidding. Let's go!" AJ whispered.

"No, you hide. I'm gonna stay." Nick said.

"No fucking way! Stop this Nick, let’s go." AJ begged.

"Trust me AJ, you'll love my plan. Now go hide somewhere." Nick whispered.

"I'm beginning to hate your first plan, I'm sure as hell not gonna like your second." AJ protested.

"AJ, listen to me, go hide yourself or you're gonna get both of us killed. GO!" AJ didn't know what hit him. It's just the look in Nick's eyes that made him listen to his brother. It was something that he couldn't quite put into words.

"I trust you. Don't you dare get yourself killed for me!" AJ said. He could feel the tears that were just waiting to come out.

"In your dreams Bone." Nick replied, rolling his eyes. AJ gave a disgusted look and rushed for cover behind the thick bushes about a meter away.

Through tiny clearings amongst the bushes, he looked on as Nick gave a final cough and collapsed on the snow-clad ground. He didn't move a muscle. Nick looked dead. His pale face somehow had a tinge of blue to it, the bloodstain smearing all over his mouth and neck. AJ wasn't sure if he could see any visible signs to show that he was breathing. Nick is dead. Damn it Nick! I trusted you!

"Damn! Is he dead?" Matt asked as he stared at the body sprawled across the snow.

"Looks like it." Ted replied, not wanting to go any nearer.

"His got his bag on, should we check?" Matt asked.

"Yeah, but I'm not gonna do it." Ted replied, obviously nauseated.

"Don't be such a wimp and help me!" Matt grunted and started to pull the bag out from under Nick. "Help me to roll him over."

Ted unwillingly rolled Nick on his back with his foot, not wanting to touch him.

"He's dead for God's sake, what's with you?" Matt asked, annoyed.

"Just get the damn bag!" Ted shouted.

Matt emptied the bag and was disappointed to find no cash but a first aid box, some towels and a chocolate bar.

"Fuck! It's not with him!"

"Well, at least we got lunch." Ted replied as he took the chocolate and shoved it into his jacket.

"Let's go, I bet the others are not far away from here."

AJ's heart stopped when the two figures started walking his way. There was nowhere to run.

"Wait, I think that way is faster." Ted said as he motioned Matt to stop.

"You think?" Matt hissed.

"No. That's a faster way." Ted replied, pointing to the opposite direction.

"Whatever you say. I bet the others are dead too."

AJ let out a sigh of relief. He watched as the figures walked away and disappeared into the forest. His eyes not willing to look at the figure that was as still as a corpse lying a meter away from him. His eyes not wanting to believe that Nick was dead.

ררררר

"Drop the gun, slowly." Brian ordered. He tried not to tremble as he pressed the gun into Brad's head. He wanted the man to know who was in charge.

He had heard Kevin's screams although it took him awhile to acknowledge his voice and then the blast and shot. He knew they were in trouble and without thinking, started running towards the sound. But he was too late, Brad had got to Howie and he was about to shoot Kevin. He had to do something. Somehow, amidst the throbbing headache and double vision, he made it. He was totally agitated by the fact that AJ and Nick weren't there with them.

"You're not gonna shoot me, I have your friend here under target. You pull, I pull." Brad threatened.

"Go ahead, I don't care. I have what I want." Brian said firmly.

"Brian!" Howie cried in disbelief.

"I've got your money and I don't give a shit if I kill you and you kill him." Brian said, ignoring Howie.

"And if I give up my gun?" Brad asked.

"We'll split this stash." Brian replied.

"How much?"

"I'm not greedy. 50-50." Brian replied.

"Deal." Brad said.

"Great. Now empty the barrel and drop the gun." Brian ordered.

Brad did as was told and after emptying the gun, he threw it a few steps away from him.

"Good. Now Kevin, Howie, do as I tell ya. Get into the pit." Brian said, the gun still pressed into Brad's skull.

"What's going on Rok?" Howie asked in confusion.

"Don't talk to me! Just get in before I have to shut you up with this gun!" Brian shouted.

"Just go D." Kevin whispered and led him to the pit. Kevin had no difficulties in getting into the pit because of his height. Howie however, had to limp.

"On second thought, D, just wait there, you're no threat to us." Brian said.

"Kev, give him your wallet." Brian ordered. Kevin did as was told.

"Get his wallet." Brian ordered Brad. He bent down and reached for it. "And this is for messing with my head!" Brian shouted as he swung the gun across Brad's skull with all the strength he had left. Brad fell into the pit unconscious. He dropped the gun to his side and looked down at Kevin with a smile.

"Need a hand?"